No Right Answer: Best Revenge-fueled Badass Ever

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Best Revenge-fueled Badass Ever

In honor of the latest attempt to milk Wolverine's movie franchise, the arbitrators of the arbitrary attempt to determine who seeks revenge the best, and who looks the best while seeking it.

Watch Video

Fuck me but how did I forget Indigo Montoya?

Edit: The worst would probably be Ezio

Inigo Montoya and Batman are sitting quietly in the corner, waiting for this episode to be redone.

Also, I think Chris is probably dangerous enough, and certainly hairy enough, to play Wolverine if something were to happen to Hugh Jackman.

No Guts? I know Dan isn't into the Japanese stuff, but... Seriously!?

*shakes head*

No right answer, indeed.

Well. Not a lot I can say to someone willing to bear their pasty physique on camera. I guess all that needed to be said, has been said.

Good on you, extremely furry web show host.

Thunderous Cacophony:
Inigo Montoya and Batman are sitting quietly in the corner, waiting for this episode to be redone.

Also, I think Chris is probably dangerous enough, and certainly hairy enough, to play Wolverine if something were to happen to Hugh Jackman.

That would be a different episode. "Who avenged their parents better?"

Anyway, good picks, and I'd have to agree that Kartos is the better example of someone doing everything for revenge.

Wolverine's great, but he's just too much more than just an angry revenge hungry guy out to kill to beat Kartos at this game.
Which, for Wolverine, is kind of a good thing if you think about it.

Oh please, take your Batmans and Kratos's and Wolverine's. The true best revenge seeking badass is none other than Edmond Dantes.

Considering the number of vengeful characters out there, this is a debate that could go on for hours. Let's face it, no two characters would make everyone happy!

RogueportJack:
Oh please, take your Batmans and Kratos's and Wolverine's. The true best revenge seeking badass is none other than Edmond Dantes.

Probably one of the earliest revenge seekers :)
Also, manboobs?

Indigo Montoya for the win. That's hilariously awesome.

Those two it's hard. Makes sense Kratos takes the win. Constantly wearing his family but killing/betraying those values all the time. Fooled by the gods, then punished for misinterpretation, then slaying them. He's a baddass I'd never want to meet.

Wolverine has less of a haunting and way more friends/morals/values than he realizes. He's in a society where there are so many others with very similar downfalls but doesn't see it. For a very old character, he can be quite childish. On the other hand his overall flavor is badass. I like how he fights, his powers, his regeneration, the fact he's Canadian and his slight gruff. He's a badass I would like to meet.

Batman is horribly overdone, but that's just me. Compared to these three I find him bland.

Kind of disappointed on this one. I agree with the verdict, but don't think Wolverine should even be in the running. Wolverine has revenged stories, but it's not the basis for his character.

What could have replaced him? Inigo Montoya was mentioned in the video, The Bride from Kill Bill, Marf from Sin City, and the m-f'n Punisher. There's hundreds more that would make for a better opponent for Kratos than Wolverine.

All Kratos wanted was peace. In his case though the only peace he might find would mean a lobotomy.

Wolverine never seemed revenge fuelled, more driven by a desire to know himself. Never read the X-men comics though so I'm probably wrong.

Kratos won even before this video started.

Casual Shinji:
No Guts? I know Dan isn't into the Japanese stuff, but... Seriously!?

*shakes head*

No right answer, indeed.

I was thinking the exact same thing. He's the first one to come to mind when revenge and rage are mentioned.

Wolverine? WOLVERINE!? I love the X-Men but Wolverine's revenge stuff is only a part of his character. How about some Frank Friggin' Castle? Or better yet, Edmond Dantes? I like that they avoided Batman though, while there's no doubt he's a front runner, he's a bit over played at this point.

Neither.

I nominate Shurayuki-hime instead.

Like the stinger at the end, but let's be frank: The Count of Monte Cristo beats everyone else in the "revenge-seeking badass" category.

Kratos is an asshole not a badass to be honest...
Batman would have been a good choice, when isn't he? :)

And I'm not so sure about Wolverine either as he is more anger fueled because of stuff happening than revengefulled by something specific...

The editing in this one was awesome. Captain Hammer, Penny Arcade, and then Dinosaur Comics, Loki, and Serenity all in one frame?

Also, @Mahoshonen wins.

kailus13:
All Kratos wanted was peace. In his case though the only peace he might find would mean a lobotomy.

Wolverine never seemed revenge fuelled, more driven by a desire to know himself. Never read the X-men comics though so I'm probably wrong.

I got the impression that the kind of peace Kratos wanted was from him having killed every single living thing.

Aptspire:

RogueportJack:

Also, manboobs?

How does the picture of Adam Jensen fit in to the debate? Is it because he was itching for vengeance on the mercs who messed up Sarif Industries in HR's prologue?

OT: Between the two choices of this episode, Kratos stopped being about revenge when his first game ended, then from the 2nd game on, he was a violent psychopath who'd kill everything in existence for a Klondike Bar. Wolverine has his vengeful moments, but he stands for a lot more than that now that he's also an Avenger and getting the X-Men back to their "school for the gifted" roots. Shame that Cyclops' character got shafted in the process.

I think in order to be a proper badass, we have to want to be the character.

Kratos fails in this regard, for me anyway. He is such a reprehensible douche, I submit that he CANNOT be badass, just a freakish d_bag.

Wolverine has his moments, but he sort of gets along like the immortals from the Highlander. He's lived through so many tragedies, he can't help but try to move on. Ironically, this sort of makes him more sympathetic and badass, even if it detracts from the always-on "revenge mode."

I agree with the above posts, however. I would love to see Gutz/Gatsu and Inigo Montoya enter the debate. The only reason I would omit Batman is b/c Batman wins at everything, even "losing." Therefore, using him in an argument is unfair.

I still like that ep where they debated "two best X-Men," and Wolverine still won, not having entered, haha.

Darth_Payn:

Aptspire:

RogueportJack:

Also, manboobs?

How does the picture of Adam Jensen fit in to the debate? Is it because he was itching for vengeance on the mercs who messed up Sarif Industries in HR's prologue?

It's because he never asked for this.

And yet I am all too willing to oblige.

RogueportJack:

The Count wins by so many miles the rest might as well have not even stepped off the starting line. No contest to see here, everyone move along.

Bonus points if it's this version:

Close, so close, but you missed one key moment at the beginning of God of War 2. Kratos starts destroying Athena's City because, reasons? Only after his rampage of the city does Zeus come to take his power away. Than Kratos goes on his blood rage because of the betrayal of Zeus of taking Kratos powers away.

From which the only reason Kratos lost his powers was because he was destroying Athena's main city, the same Athena who apologized for Kratos' suffering that she could not fix by helping him achieve god hood. Which is why fans of the GoW games know that GoW1 is the far superior game to the rest of the games. Because GoW2 made him into a thoughtless revenge seeking monster for actions he himself caused....again.

Negatempest:
Close, so close, but you missed one key moment at the beginning of God of War 2. Kratos starts destroying Athena's City because, reasons? Only after his rampage of the city does Zeus come to take his power away. Than Kratos goes on his blood rage because of the betrayal of Zeus of taking Kratos powers away.

From which the only reason Kratos lost his powers was because he was destroying Athena's main city, the same Athena who apologized for Kratos' suffering that she could not fix by helping him achieve god hood. Which is why fans of the GoW games know that GoW1 is the far superior game to the rest of the games. Because GoW2 made him into a thoughtless revenge seeking monster for actions he himself caused....again.

You are kidding right? The reasons is HE'S THE GOD OF WAR!(<<<----exclamation in case the caps don't do it) He replaced the previous one who was stomping on Athena's temples in the first game.

And the Gods betray Kratos because they feared him. He killed one of theirs. They even said it in the game. That's not something I made up.

And since you clearly paid little attention to any of the GoW titles, I won't ruin the ending of 2, the middle and end of 3, any of the handheld titles, or the end of GoWA which all prove you wrong.

He's not out randomly killing people. There's reasons and the game tells you those reasons during the cutscenes. It's your own fault if you choose to ignore them.

Couldn't you argue that Frank Castle, The Punisher, could also qualify as a revenge filled bad ass?

His family died to a gangland shooting and the men who were responsible got off scott free, he snapped and basically vowed to kill criminals.

He has no desire to start another family or to move on and is constantly haunted by his past.

Seracen:

I agree with the above posts, however. I would love to see Gutz/Gatsu and Inigo Montoya enter the debate. The only reason I would omit Batman is b/c Batman wins at everything, even "losing." Therefore, using him in an argument is unfair.

Also, I'd argue Batman isn't so much out for revenge--his parent's death just put crime into perspective for him and gave him impetus to move forward. Also, Batman stories put way too much focus on the death of his parents given how little it actually has to do with him. Other superheroes endured far worse tragedy, and their tragedies are much more connected to their calling. Superman being the last of his kind and Peter Parker being directly involved in his uncle's death being the two foremost examples. There's no reason the Wayne family should be anything more than a footnote in his origin story.

Wolverine... revenge filled? Erm... I don't really see it. At all. He's not really out for revenge most of the time, he's just got a past full of violence that continually catches up to him when he isn't going out to settle something from it on his own. Compared to Kratos, it's a shut-out in Kratos' favour. Maybe even a no-hitter.

Waaghpowa:
Couldn't you argue that Frank Castle, The Punisher, could also qualify as a revenge filled bad ass?

His family died to a gangland shooting and the men who were responsible got off scott free, he snapped and basically vowed to kill criminals.

He has no desire to start another family or to move on and is constantly haunted by his past.

Well, he's basically the same thing as Kratos.
1. Family dies
2. Gets pissed
3. Kills shit in brutal ways

Only Kratos is even more brutal and thus more badass.

Stelio!
Stelio Kontos!

he is so badass that he became popular even he appears only so rarely as a side character...

on a different note: kratos lives to kill while wolverine just wants to be left alone. i would say kratos is more badass

Crazie_Guy:

RogueportJack:

The Count wins by so many miles the rest might as well have not even stepped off the starting line. No contest to see here, everyone move along.

Seriously, you wanna talk about being consumed by revenge, having it drive every aspect of your life. This guy plots for YEARS on his revenge against the 4 rat bastards that screwed him over, and it's not just a simple "I'm gonna murder you" revenge, as with Kratos and Wolverine...no, he takes what each of them cherishes most in their life and absolutely DESTROYS it. Revenge is a dish best served with Monte Cristo. :P

As for the video itself, the last line gives me an excuse to post this:

:3

Mr_Terrific:

Negatempest:

You are kidding right? The reasons is HE'S THE GOD OF WAR!(<<<----exclamation in case the caps don't do it) He replaced the previous one who was stomping on Athena's temples in the first game.

And the Gods betray Kratos because they feared him. He killed one of theirs. They even said it in the game. That's not something I made up.

And since you clearly paid little attention to any of the GoW titles, I won't ruin the ending of 2, the middle and end of 3, any of the handheld titles, or the end of GoWA which all prove you wrong.

He's not out randomly killing people. There's reasons and the game tells you those reasons during the cutscenes. It's your own fault if you choose to ignore them.

So your explanation for the way Kratos acted in GoW2, is by his actions in the games that came after GoW2. That makes no sense at all whatsoever. It's the Kingdom Hearts franchise problem again. Playing different games on different platforms to justify the actions in the previous games. There was GoW1 and GoW2 before the other games, there is no explanation between those games on the justifiable reason Kratos goes on a rampage in Rhodes. Yes he was angry at the Gods for not removing the nightmares, but that was all pent up guilt of his own making that he did not want to let go. He was blindly hating the world until his Dad had to step in, than did Kratos start focusing on killing the Gods in general. It weakens him as a great character that was built in GoW1.

mysecondlife:
Kratos won even before this video started.

^
This, cause there is literally NOTHING else to Kratos beyond his misplaced (after the first game) quest for revenge.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here