Unskippable: Metro: Last Light, Part One

Metro: Last Light, Part One

Graham and Paul travel to the not so distant future to give us a good look at the Russian subway system.

Watch Video

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what happens if you stop shooting in that scene? Do the friend-beasts tear you apart?

Thunderous Cacophony:
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what happens if you stop shooting in that scene? Do the friend-beasts tear you apart?

I'm pretty sure they do. I tried to hold fire after the first guy but got the crap smacked out of me by the not-nosalises until I shot them

On topic, can't wait for part two. I'm guessing you guys are going to walk through D6 for a bit, or just make exposition jokes every time Khan opens his mouth

Wow, the Santa robot from Futurerama got lazy.

canadamus_prime:

His heart just wasn't in it after the nuclear Armageddon. HE wanted to do that harm.

In case anyone was wondering, Graham is correct: Russian does not have definite articles, or indefinite articles for that matter. Only vodka and despair.

DVS BSTrD:

canadamus_prime:

His heart just wasn't in it after the nuclear Armageddon. HE wanted to do that harm.

I was implying that HE caused the nuclear Armageddon, but ok...

canadamus_prime:

DVS BSTrD:

canadamus_prime:

Silly canadamus, that was caused by robosexuals. Didn't you watch the Space Pope's propaganda video?

DVS BSTrD:

canadamus_prime:

DVS BSTrD:

Silly canadamus, that was caused by robosexuals. Didn't you watch the Space Pope's propaganda video?

Ah yes of course. My mistake.

I'm pretty sure that excuse at the end would go over about as well as saying to a black person, "Hey, I used the '-a' version, not the '-er'!" :)

So, I played 2033, haven't gotten to Last Light yet. This just adds more fuel to my theory that the Dark Ones aren't actually peaceful in any way, but the ending where you decide they are is them mind-controlling you.

Is it weird for me to notice that Artyom's flashback mom has a really nice butt? Or is it weirder to notice that Artyom has a vivid recollection of his mom's butt but cannot remember her face?

SlightlyEvil:
So, I played 2033, haven't gotten to Last Light yet. This just adds more fuel to my theory that the Dark Ones aren't actually peaceful in any way, but the ending where you decide they are is them mind-controlling you.

Uhm... GUYS DONT SPOIL FOR HIM!

Just play Metro Last Light :) . Also read da books, they are quite good.

"You get a fiery death! You get a fiery death! EVERYBODY GETS A FIERY DEATH!!!"

Worst. Game show. Ever.

Charcharo:

SlightlyEvil:

I see. I played 2033 only recently. I bought it ages ago, got turned off somewhere around the level where you sneak through the war-front between the Communists and the Nazis. Tried again because Last Light was close to release and getting good reviews. Honestly, I'm not all that hyped to try Last Light; the atmosphere in 2033 was second to none but the story was hit-or-miss and the gameplay struck me as slightly above-average but overall just ok.

Incidentally, did anyone, in the course of playing the game, figure out that all the stuff on human enemies' armor actually soaks bullets on their own? I never figured that out, only realized it when outright told later.

SlightlyEvil:

Charcharo:

SlightlyEvil:

I see. I played 2033 only recently. I bought it ages ago, got turned off somewhere around the level where you sneak through the war-front between the Communists and the Nazis. Tried again because Last Light was close to release and getting good reviews. Honestly, I'm not all that hyped to try Last Light; the atmosphere in 2033 was second to none but the story was hit-or-miss and the gameplay struck me as slightly above-average but overall just ok.

Incidentally, did anyone, in the course of playing the game, figure out that all the stuff on human enemies' armor actually soaks bullets on their own? I never figured that out, only realized it when outright told later.

Different stuff for different people I guess :( . I really liked the game, one of the best in that year for me, especially the story. Though it did have some problems, mainly that it was neither CLOSE enough to the book in order to be something exceptional, nor distanced enough to feel as something completely unique. Last Light avoids that problem though. It is BY FAR my personal GOTY this year.

As for the armour. Well, yeah :P . I usually love details like these, and it is not soaking but rather deflecting bullets and debris based on the angle and force of the attack. I was quite pleased seeing such a supriisingly well made system. Too bad most people thought it was some kind of a bug or a bad feature and complained it was not like the new CoD at the time... :P . That.Is.Sad.

Charcharo:

SlightlyEvil:

Charcharo:

Different stuff for different people I guess :( . I really liked the game, one of the best in that year for me, especially the story. Though it did have some problems, mainly that it was neither CLOSE enough to the book in order to be something exceptional, nor distanced enough to feel as something completely unique. Last Light avoids that problem though. It is BY FAR my personal GOTY this year.

As for the armour. Well, yeah :P . I usually love details like these, and it is not soaking but rather deflecting bullets and debris based on the angle and force of the attack. I was quite pleased seeing such a supriisingly well made system. Too bad most people thought it was some kind of a bug or a bad feature and complained it was not like the new CoD at the time... :P . That.Is.Sad.

Regarding the bullet deflection, I don't think it's a bad thing, it's just never explained. If it were, then I'd be impressed and like it, but as it isn't explained to the player, many think it's a bug.

Wow, that's a lot more sinister than the rabid mutants I was expecting.

SlightlyEvil:

Whichever ending you choose in the first game (e.g. if you feel like *not* commiting a genocide], the second game starts with completely retconing the good ending of the first one anyway.

Thunderous Cacophony:

If you don't shoot them at all and just stay away, one eventually gets close enough to trigger the cutscene where "you" stab it and wake up.

SlightlyEvil:

Charcharo:

SlightlyEvil:

Regarding the bullet deflection, I don't think it's a bad thing, it's just never explained. If it were, then I'd be impressed and like it, but as it isn't explained to the player, many think it's a bug.

Dont people have eyes to see that shooting it there means a deflection? Is it not something that is easy to see? I mean, damn I at least saw that on the first time a bullet deflected at an angle. Also, why just assume its a bug and not at least try to figure it out?
Seems like people by default are expecting easy shooting like in CoD :( .

Charcharo:

SlightlyEvil:

Charcharo:
snip

Dont people have eyes to see that shooting it there means a deflection? Is it not something that is easy to see? I mean, damn I at least saw that on the first time a bullet deflected at an angle. Also, why just assume its a bug and not at least try to figure it out?

I didn't so much think it was a bug, that I thought the enemies had absurd health, and that the guns sucked (which they did, intentionally). And the levels were dark enough that it was hard to pick out details, especially when I was trying to be stealthy (which was much of the time, partly for survival reasons but mostly because I like optional stealth).

EDIT: And it's not so much that I demand easy shooting as that I expect it because that's what is the norm. The different style is the same reason that playing pre-2005-or-so shooters occasionally throws me off (I keep expecting iron-sights to be right-click, when in pre-MW games usually only the sniper weapon has zoom. Muscle memory, mostly.)

wildpeaks:

SlightlyEvil:

Whichever ending you choose in the first game (e.g. if you feel like *not* commiting a genocide], the second game starts with completely retconing the good ending of the first one anyway.

As I say, I didn't agree with the game that the non-genocide option qualifies as a good ending. I know, it's the old don't-judge-by-appearances-humans-are-the-real-monsters moral, but every encounter with the Dark Ones in 2033 is about them actively screwing with your head and trying to get you killed. Notice that they only start talking about wanting peace after they have actively tried to kill you (or at least make you jump to your death); if they were genuinely peaceful they would have at least made a token effort to dissuade you before jumping to murder.

SlightlyEvil:

Charcharo:

SlightlyEvil:

I didn't so much think it was a bug, that I thought the enemies had absurd health, and that the guns sucked (which they did, intentionally). And the levels were dark enough that it was hard to pick out details, especially when I was trying to be stealthy (which was much of the time, partly for survival reasons but mostly because I like optional stealth).

EDIT: And it's not so much that I demand easy shooting as that I expect it because that's what is the norm. The different style is the same reason that playing pre-2005-or-so shooters occasionally throws me off (I keep expecting iron-sights to be right-click, when in pre-MW games usually only the sniper weapon has zoom. Muscle memory, mostly.)

wildpeaks:

SlightlyEvil:

As I say, I didn't agree with the game that the non-genocide option qualifies as a good ending. I know, it's the old don't-judge-by-appearances-humans-are-the-real-monsters moral, but every encounter with the Dark Ones in 2033 is about them actively screwing with your head and trying to get you killed. Notice that they only start talking about wanting peace after they have actively tried to kill you (or at least make you jump to your death); if they were genuinely peaceful they would have at least made a token effort to dissuade you before jumping to murder.

Depending of the difficulty humans die from 1-2 headshots, and 1-6/7 body shots :p

As for the Dark Ones, they help you ever since the Mission Chase has started. If I reveal the exact relationship between them, humanity and artyom it might spoil stuff for you :(. So I wont. But you are not really correct. As for the Humans are assholes part, well yeah. We killed the world :D . Though we are still the top predator, no one in the Metro universe denies that.

SlightlyEvil:

That last sequence was a nightmare Artyom was having.

OT: I haven't wacthed these in so long, that was so funny. xD

I haven't played the game (yet). Does it actually have that much screen tearing? Or was that just a side-effect of the video capture equipment being used?

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here