Escapist News Now: Xbox One Allows Self-Publishing

Xbox One Allows Self-Publishing

Microsoft has announced new plans to make Xbox One the most open and accessible console on the market.

Watch Video

Microsoft, keep up the pace on this "magical" turn around of yours.

We need good things from you.

So I am still kinda mad about the stuff that went down at the start but if they keep reversing all these old stupid ideas that they had I could start liking Microsoft.
Good for them.

They really should change Xbone's name to Xbox-180 ;)

I agree: this may be a bad thing for indie developers. Great for the common bloke that wants to take a day and make a game but not for those that really spend their lives doing this for a living. And where's the cut Microsoft gets from all this? You know there's going to be one; it's Microsoft!

I think its a great way to boost self publishing. And it certainly makes it stand out from the ps4.

But I wonder if this is going to make it more vulnerable to hacking? Especially since they have streamlined the certification process down to 2 weeks, no longer doing the in depth code review.

Bahahaha, all of these attempts at trying to undo their debacle are so fucking tasty. Hey Microsoft, I have some news. You are fucked beyond what your PR department can try to fix. You had the balls to try to sell your consumers horse shit, and that's probably how your sales are going to look for the One. All of this "Omg no that's not what we have now! You can totally (insert basic fucking console function) again! We're still your friends! Hey indie guys! You wanna work for us! No seriously, think of all the games you can make for us because maybe eventually the Xbox One will be a dev kit!" No. Fuck you. Congrats on winning back gullible retards who are less deserving of their money than you are. I sincerely hope we have to dump all those extra Xbox One units into the Mariana trench, because the desert won't be big enough.

I posit that adding a spoon of fine wine to a barrel of sewage doesn't change the content. On the other hand, add a spoon of sewage to a barrel of wine...well, I consider that barrel a waste as well.

I am certain that XBONE will do well enough, but no amount of coercion will force me to consider it anything but damaged goods at this point. Consumer faith comes from time and effort.

That reputation, mind you, can be thrown away at a moment's notice, just ask Bioware recently, or Capcom for the last decade, or even 50% of Square-Enix.

I'm not so gullible as to think Sony didn't consider the same things M$ did, and I certainly look forward to M$ learning from this. But as I said before...time and effort.

TBH, I never buy consoles at launch anyways. It's too expensive, and there are never enough killer apps. And if there are enough killer apps, it also means killing your wallet. I'd rather wait until they work out hardware kinks, then buy some Plat Hits on a bundle pickup.

Wait, you can self publish but you need to establish a relationship with microsoft and purchase a dev kit that isn't your the ones you buy at launch? I mean, this is good news but that's hardly different from how things already were. Not only that, but the ability to self-publish doesn't mean it's free. I mean, we already had some indie developers publishing last gen and having to push out a single patch nearly crippled them or was impossible to begin with.

I'll look at this as a potentially better step but I'll have to withhold judgement until I see how things actually role out.

As far as I can tell, the only difference will be the ease at obtaining a dev kit and that actually wasn't the problem before, not entirely. It was dealing with microsoft otherwise.

It seem the new xbox business/publishing strategy is working, and that plan is copy Sony :p

Sneezeguard:
It seem the new xbox business/publishing strategy is working, and that plan is copy Sony :p

Sony is allowing self publishing?

Lightknight:

Sneezeguard:

Yeah, here's an article about it from a month ago from another site.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2013/06/20/daily-reaction-ps4s-self-publishing-gives-rise-to-a-new-indie-movement-ft-warframe-outlast-devs/

and this one is from feburary
http://gamer.blorge.com/2013/02/23/indie-devs-flock-to-ps4-to-self-publish-how-the-witness-became-ps4-exclusive/

Sony have planned this for the PS4 a while ago.

Sneezeguard:

Lightknight:

Sneezeguard:

Yeah, here's an article about it from a month ago from another site.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2013/06/20/daily-reaction-ps4s-self-publishing-gives-rise-to-a-new-indie-movement-ft-warframe-outlast-devs/

and this one is from feburary
http://gamer.blorge.com/2013/02/23/indie-devs-flock-to-ps4-to-self-publish-how-the-witness-became-ps4-exclusive/

Sony have planned this for the PS4 a while ago.

Hmm, I thought that was related to the being able to take and publish videos and not entire games. Cool, I guess Microsoft realized that Sony was going to get a ton of exclusives that way.

But here's the difference, from the article you mentioned, Sony is making self-publishing free, they have openly stated this. Microsoft needs to tell us what costs are involved on their end. The problem of the past generation was that Microsoft was incredibly unfriendly and expensive for indie developers. That won't change just by Microsoft opening up who can have access to it. Hopefully they'll make it free too and hopefully both groups can curate properly.

I'm curious as to what programming languages could be used for the Xbox One. Will it be only C++? Can you use C#? Will Microsoft implement something that would be the Xbox One's equivalent to XNA?

It's a tiny blob of cement towards fixing a broken wall here, but hey. If they keep the tiny blobs coming, they might be able to rebuild the whole thing.

Call me cautiosly optimistic.

Rossmallo:
It's a tiny blob of cement towards fixing a broken wall here, but hey. If they keep the tiny blobs coming, they might be able to rebuild the whole thing.

Call me cautiosly optimistic.

But that's really the worst part. Microsoft isn't making themselves better than Sony. They're catching up in a few areas. When I go down the list of things I care about, Microsoft is either equal or worse in each and every category. That's a shame. They don't need to get on par with Sony, they need to have reasons to pick them over Sony's machine. Short of the handful of games that are exclusive I'm not seeing much of anything. Sony has also proven themselves a first and third party powerhouse this past generation, even right now when they're phasing out the console. So, I'm looking at negatives or equals all around for Microsoft and equals or positives all around for Sony. I genuinely can't believe that Sony achieved this kind of gap. I thought the ps3 may have been the start of their downfall.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here