Escape to the Movies: The Wolverine

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

The Wolverine

MovieBob takes us to Japan with his look at the latest film to feature Wolverine.

Watch Video

Nothing wrong with the bone claws, Bob.

Dumber then making him an ACTUAL wolverine that had been genetically engineered?

Well, as you say, that's good enough, I guess. Hope that means it will get better then.

Also, a gorilla that plays baseball? :) Cool. Yeah, lets get us some of that.

This year? Good enough is a compliment! Sorry, thought Pacific Rim not that original and not that good, though I loved looking at the Robots. I liked Star Trek better than you likely did. But after the disappointing Superman and seeing Ironman's girlfriend actually win the day, I need a good enough Wolverine.

while I would like to see it, I just can't get past how bad origins was. Also it kind of irks me that they imply in the trailers that wolverine is immortal. He can heal at an enormous rate, yes, but that does not equal immortality.

regarding Creed: seriously? just let it stop already. Sly got lucky that Balboa was decent but since his non-expendable movies aren't making any bank he's going back to the rocky well?

I guessed the plot twist with the silver samurai

so I was watching g the fight wondering whether or not I'd be right.
I liked the movie, it was a fun action movie but I agree with Bob when he says it would have been nice if the movie didn't try to create drama but just not telling the audience anything about the various motivations involved.

I've haven't heard of Mr Go until now, the trailer look so ridiculous. it could be enjoyable to watch!

Seems like something I'd rent on DVD. Wolverine is cool and all but... There are much more interesting characters in the X-Men universe. How about a movie about what happened to Magneto between the concentration camp and the beginning of the main part of First Class? That would be pretty interesting, I bet.

Also, I appreciate that the Escapist needs revenue, but my enjoyment of this episode was marred by an ad for Blue Moon that WOULD NOT GO AWAY and blocked a third of the video window.

SomebodyNowhere:
while I would like to see it, I just can't get past how bad origins was. Also it kind of irks me that they imply in the trailers that wolverine is immortal. He can heal at an enormous rate, yes, but that does not equal immortality.

Well in the comics, and somewhat scientifically, his healing factor does make him immortal. A person ages due to the slow damage and death of cells and organs in their body. Logan's cells and organs repair and regrow that damage, meaning he won't age and since he can repair any other injury he sustains due to drinking, fighting, or accidents; so long as some part of his DNA still exists he is effectively immortal outside of total disintegration.

Awww, Silver Samurais a robot?

Origins was piss poor and yes I am gonna hold it against this movie. Days of Future Past gets the go, this is a DVD-on-a-sale jobby.

BabySinclair:
Well in the comics, and somewhat scientifically, his healing factor does make him immortal. A person ages due to the slow damage and death of cells and organs in their body. Logan's cells and organs repair and regrow that damage, meaning he won't age and since he can repair any other injury he sustains due to drinking, fighting, or accidents; so long as some part of his DNA still exists he is effectively immortal outside of total disintegration.

Longest... telomeres... ever.

--Morology!

I saw this movie and concur. It's OK. Nothing special. Nothing especially memorable. However that final twist Bob mentions everyone who watched the trailer has already figured out what it is. It's very predictable.

Retrograde:
Awww, Silver Samurais a robot?

Origins was piss poor and yes I am gonna hold it against this movie. Days of Future Past gets the go, this is a DVD-on-a-sale jobby.

No the Silver Samurai is still a dude in armor, it's just more mech then traditional armor.

DVS BSTrD:
Dumber then making him an ACTUAL wolverine that had been genetically engineered?

Naw, I think the "human descended from wolves" one was worse.

Ace Morologist:

BabySinclair:

Longest... telomeres... ever.

--Morology!

As a microbiologist, I appreciate this comment.

I will go see a Wolverine movie when they get around to making X-23 a part of it. Sure, they could ruin her and the story around her by making it all about what is essentially "bad ass assassin girl #451890." Or they could actually focus on Wolverine's reaction to finding out he was cloned and that they tortured that clone all her life, and she's not even certain she is a real person.

That's probably never going to happen though. And if it does it will probably be terrible. Pessimism, ho.

I can never take Jackman seriously as Wolverine. I seriously don't see it. I am agreed about the X-Men films, though.

SomebodyNowhere:

He's also been alive since at least the Civil War in some continuities, and more than once has regenerated from virtually nothing. His healing factor does, for all intents and purposes, make him immortal.

....Except when it doesn't, because we've seen him go gray in the future and be unable to restore a hand when complete regeneration is possible, because they're making it up as they go along ponies.

Anyway, my point is that his portrayal of being "immortal" is not a new idea, and may be accurate within the continuity of the X-Men films. It's probably a bad idea to add into the film universe, as we're dealing with a dude who looks markedly older in WW2 than he did in the first X-Men movie, but hey. It's not like they're still going to be wheeling Jackman out in a chair in 50 years to play Wolverine, right?

....Right?

I've noticed that in these movies you just can't seem to have plot and (good) actions scenes. I loved Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy to death, but the fight choreography is almost universally panned by everyone. Doesn't matter to me because I go to hear the dialogue that I've come to love from Nolan movies, and I suspect lots of people don't care about the plot of this movie and just want to see Wolverine slice up ninja's and apparently robotic samurai. Whatever.

Thing I like most about Bob's reviews are his tidbits of info that I would have never known anywhere else. First time I saw saw the trailer for this I figured they were just desperately searching for content so they figured, ninjas, samurai, Japan, lets do this! But no, its actual part of the comics. I got a good laugh at that.

Eicha:

Also, I appreciate that the Escapist needs revenue, but my enjoyment of this episode was marred by an ad for Blue Moon that WOULD NOT GO AWAY and blocked a third of the video window.

And yet, the advertising is still preferable to Blip's.

The question is, bob......have you seen the Wolverine anime from a few years ago? Cause it was pretty cool. And involved Wolverine wrecking stuff in Japan.

Man, just saw Pacific Rim last week. Can I afford to go to the movies again? Still kind of want to see Despicable Me 2, Turbo, Red 2, and White House Down too.

Ishal:
I've noticed that in these movies you just can't seem to have plot and (good) actions scenes. I loved Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy to death, but the fight choreography is almost universally panned by everyone. Doesn't matter to me because I go to hear the dialogue that I've come to love from Nolan movies, and I suspect lots of people don't care about the plot of this movie and just want to see Wolverine slice up ninja's and apparently robotic samurai. Whatever.

Thing I like most about Bob's reviews are his tidbits of info that I would have never known anywhere else. First time I saw saw the trailer for this I figured they were just desperately searching for content so they figured, ninjas, samurai, Japan, lets do this! But no, its actual part of the comics. I got a good laugh at that.

Raimi's Spider-man movies had amazing fights, especially 2, and 1 and 2 at least were pretty good movies in general.

So the ability to turn your brain off and on again several times throughout the movie would be useful in this case.

What's wrong with the bone claws? Plenty of mutants have a secondary mutation, what's so bad about Wolverine having one?

Is Mr Bob about a Gorilla playing baseball? Finally, a sports movie I might be interested in.

A3sir:
Nothing wrong with the bone claws, Bob.

Except that it makes no sense, seeing as animal claws aren't bones, they're made of a protein called keratin, the same thing nails and hair are made out of. Yeah, it's easy to sweep it under the rug with "he's a mutant, mutants are we're like that", but it's still a completely pointless retcon that adds nothing. The whole "claw implants" thing was way better.

But yeah, glad to know that the Angry Nerd from Wired and I aren't the only ones who hate the bone claws.

Don't usually comment on these reviews, but I have to award Bob points for that Tommy reference.

So Bob says it's "good enough?" Must mean it's the best comic book movie in years then since Bob's taste seems to clash quite a bit with mine.

I agree, MovieBob, that the first movie wasn't much better than "Eh, good enough" but I really wonder how much of that came from the studio not wanting to invest too heavily in something that they probably considered VERY risky at best. The second movie was so far above

Since then we've had one more high mark (First Class), and two very low marks (XO:Wolverine and The Last Stand). I guess since Days of Future Past is already filming this won't stop that one way or the other, so we've got two more to go. With this one going back to "Good enough" wonder what that means for DoFP...

Hmm, I was really excited about the setting. This is my favorite wolverine era. It never struck me as entirely sensical tha a canadian would be in Japan, but I liked the comics from that era.

I would like a more visceral Wolverine. PG-13 just isn't cutting it (hahaha, NO, lazy puns are bad!)

The bone claws are canon. He had them after Magneto ripped the adamantium out of him. This being said, it happened in the 90s. :P

Lightknight:
Hmm, I was really excited about the setting. This is my favorite wolverine era. It never struck me as entirely sensical tha a canadian would be in Japan, but I liked the comics from that era.

I would like a more visceral Wolverine. PG-13 just isn't cutting it (hahaha, NO, lazy puns are bad!)

Why is that? There are a lot of Asians in Canada. 15% of Canadians are Asian actually, doesn't seem all that strange for a Canadian to go the other way.

BabySinclair:

SomebodyNowhere:

by giving a circumstance that states his mortality you have proven my point

since the likelihood of him suffering injuries that out-damage the effectiveness of his healing ability is slim I'll go with suffocation and drowning as potential proof of mortality options as well

It's a tricky subject anyway given all the continuities and versions of the character that has existed though the years

BabySinclair:

SomebodyNowhere:

There have been many comics showing Logan in the future as an old man (Days of Future Past etc), so he does age even though his mutation slows that process down. Though they may have ret-conned that like the bone claws thing. (One of my fav comics was Logan fighting alongside Captain America (pre-freeze) and telling Rogers it was fun working with him but he didn't need a sidekick.)

As for scientifically? Lizards can regrow entire body parts but that doesn't make them immortal, likewise there are worms that can regrow their heads but they still die over time.

I'm also in the camp that doesn't want to see this movie because of (a) how completely awful Origins was (b) making the Silver Samurai a robot (c) screwing up Yukio's character (d) screwing up the whole Japan part of Wolverine's storyline and messing up the continuity and (e) Yakuza instead of the Hand.

*Youtubes up Mr. Go*
So it's a Korean Air Bud with a gorilla instead of a dog (Upgrade) and baseball instead of basketball. (Downgrade)
I'd watch that.

I really can't generate any excitement to see the Wolverine. Judging from the trailers, it doesn't have anything that draws me on. Plus the fact that its referencing X-Men: Last Stand makes it less appealing. I'll wait for DVD to see it but I'm gonna wait to see if X-Men: Days of Futures Past can bring the X-Men movies back on top.

Yeah, I really hate "plot twists," where the filmmakers deliberately withhold information. Like the entire remakes of the Ocean's Eleven film, it is like the writers and director are just holding information from the audience in a pathetic attempt to demonstrate how smart they think they are.

Hitchcock can do plot twists, mostly because he was smart enough to show you his entire hand during the film, then you would still be incredibly surprised when he laid his cards on the table. As if: "Hey! when you showed me your hand, you had three Aces and two Jacks! How on earth did you get a full house from that?" Essentially, it was the only logical explanation for the events going on in the film, but you were still surprised when it happened.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here