The Big Picture: Celebritoons

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Bob left out one of the best parts of pro stars. The "master splinter" character of the show who sent them on missions and gave them their fancy toys was Michael Jordan's grandma. :)

Thank god the second golden age came around and made us forget about all these. Although cartoons are still recovering from Pokemon's toxic embrace...

If you find this week's video interesting you should listen to LaserTime Podcast's show on the same subject. They talk about most of the ones that Bob mentioned in depth with the exception of the Ali one and discuss a few other ones that Bob left out.

I didn't really watch any of these as a kid mostly because I was either watching other cartoons or not watching cartoons at all. That or they weren't broadcast in my area, which I don't think a lot of these were because no one at school was ever talking about them either.

Then we have the other side of these: Celebrities appearing as guest stars in animated shows...

Elijah Newton:

DVS BSTrD:
Fuck Reality TV, CelebriGAMES are where it's at!

*chuckle* I'll see your Jack Black-ery and raise you KISS: Psycho Circus: Nightmare Child - a game based on a comic based on a band. Truly, truly, I say to you, this is the turducken of games.

Additional weirdness as the band is made of up comic book exaggerations of its members.

I see your KISS: Psycho Cirus and raise...these episodes of Bleep Bloop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb7xeksqB1o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2hI9acvNqc

I agree with many others here that Jackie Chan Adventures was a really good one. I can't help but wonder what sort of celebrities would get TV shows like this in todays day and age.

Phelpslantis - A series where Michael Phelps plays the prince of Atlantis forced to live on land by his father?

Nathan Fillion as Nathan Fillion in Nathan Fillion is Nathan Fillion - A show where Nathan Fillion sits in a chair and reads the phone books (thanks to the internet this will last for six seasons)

The Imagination of Seth MacFarlane - A somewhat serious story where Seth MacFarlane becomes a detective inside his own brain in a world where gunshots make fart sounds

...I'll stop now.

Not even gonna lie. I loved Hammerman and Pro Stars...but I'd pretty much watch anything during 1984-1992 when Batman came along and suddenly, I had standards...lol

I would also just like to make a post saying that this is the video where I finally bought Bob's book. I'd been wanting to pick it up for a while, but I didn't have any money. Well I just made some the other day, so I went ahead and grabbed it.

Can't wait for it to show up. I look forward to reading it.

Oh god, that Hammerman intro was physically painful...and 11 year old me ate that shit up. I need to time travel now and smack some sense into myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrQ8NHz6T4Q

campy candy. nothing new they been doing it for a while.

oh he included it lol alright than lol.

And me without my brain bleach...
Interestingly, Bob, MC Hammer is having a resurgence, of sorts, where I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. In Oakland, at A's home games, during the 8th inning, the jumbo-screens will play the video for "2 Legit 2 Quit". He's kind of a hometown hero here, and before he was a rapper, he was the A's batboy in the '70's.

Oh, and ONE MORE THING...

Vault Citizen:
Granted he might not have heard of it but I'm surprised that Bob didn't mention the Jackie Chan cartoon. For those of who you don't know it starred a guy named Jackie Chan who worked as an archeologist and knew Kung fu. He worked in his uncle's house, looked after his niece and fought both mystical villains and criminal organisations. At the end of each episode Jackie Chan (the real one) would answer a question about himself.

YES!!! That show was awesome! One of the highlights of the Kid's WB lineup, before the merger with UPN.

There were cartoons I've never thought of since I was a kid. After this the flood gates to my terrible TV watching habits opened and a flood of memories came pouring outr. You could make a series on all of these great, or not so great, cartoons and have ample material for years.

lazinesslord:
I'm surprised you didn't mention "Jackie Chan Adventures." Which, by the way, was awesome! It had some of the coolest action sequences, it made use of Chinese/ other Eastern mythologies and settings, and it had a kid sidekick character that wasn't completely annoying (or at least I didn't think so). Heck, one could make the argument that Jackie Chan's cartoon helped bring about other, similar cartoons like "Avatar: The Last Airbender." So yeah, Jackie Chan+Cartoon=Awesome.

Argh, Ninja'ed!
I hate you and love you at the same time!

Since you brought up "Wish Kid", I'm now remembering a dozen different 90's kid's cartoons based off of movies. I vaguely remember a Richie Rich cartoon. I know there were ones for The Mask and Ace Ventura and they had a cross-over. Then there was Bill & Ted and I think one for Wayne's World, and definitely one for Men in Black (which did a much better job exploring the world the film forged than the sequels, even if it never explained why K is back and why L is relegated back to medical work). I'm sure there's more. (And they probably didn't really care that much about the rating of the movie it premiered in, given the Ace Ventura and The Mask bits.) You could do a whole episode on that.

No mention of Thomas the Tank Engine, AKA Ringo Starr/George Carlin/ALEC DAMN BALDWIN talks for five minutes?

Bloody hell, I remember a few of those shows now. I thought I'd have fevered most of them up.

I rather liked Life with Louie, though. It felt rather honest, in a way. I can't recall much of it, but I wouldn't mind seeing it again.

"I'm not sure if that's any better."

It's not.

puff ball:
how was the Jackie Chan show left out of this. i mean it was at-least half way decent, and far more recent then anything else on the list.

Yeah it was cool, and I enjoyed watching it as a kid. But just around the time I quit watching Nickelodeon/Cartoon Network etc another show came on, this time based around Gene Simmons (KISS)

Stabby Joe:
While these cartoons in themselves are weird, the fact this was a "thing" at all for a period still baffles me.

That Ali cartoon in particular is just surreal.

I've heard of many of these during an episode of Laser Time podcast ( http://www.lasertimepodcast.com/2012/05/28/laser-time-animated-vanity/ ) and actually seeing them in action here makes it all the more strange...

...I do wonder how the Governater would have turned out in the long run.

Sweet, another Laser Time listener! *hi-fives*

Yeah, I know of most of these because of Laser Time, two I actually vaguely remember seeing on TV, the Pro Stars I know of because of Atop the Fourth Wall, and why no Jackie Chan Adventures?

ShirowShirow:
I liked "Jackie Chan Adventures" (I'm too old to add "When I was a kid" to that) but the first thing that came to mind for me was the Puffy Ami Yumi Show. Apparently Teen Titans was so popular another show got greenlit based on the popularity of its' theme song alone.

Random trivia time!

Production for Hi Hi Puffy Ami Yumi started long before Teen Titans first aired. A CN Exec heard about the duo on the radio and said, "They need a show!"

While that was going down, he added, "Hey, this show needs a theme. You want it?"

"Eh, why not."

Something like that.

You know what is one he missed? Bruno the Kid which was a Bruce Willis show actually voiced by Bruce Willis as I recall. Which seems really bizarre as he wasn't exactly scrounging for popularity or work at any point that I recall.

kailus13:

Bindal:
No mentioning if "Jackie Chan Adventures"? Now I am disappointed... (probably the only show of this kind that I ever saw, too.)

I think he was only pointing out the bad ones.

Yeah, I remember the Jackie Chan cartoon was successful enough to the mid 00's.

Pro Stars was awesome! I totally bought into it. I ate the cereal, and collected the trading cards, it was great! I remember being sad when it got canceled.

Bob, I love you but I am FORCED to throw my entirely impotent online rage your way.

You forgot Jackie Chan Adventures. Come on man, you make a show about Celebritoons and forget the absolute best one ever made? I don't even care that I'm only the 20th or so person to bring this up, all I could think of while watching this week's episode was "okay, when's he gonna talk about Jackie Chan Adventures?".

It's fun, it's genuinely high-quality, and it's EASILY as weird as some of the other cartoons you've listed (how many cartoons can you think of where a talking superhuman moose doll fighting a supernatural giant orange man isn't the WEIRDEST thing that's happened on the show?).

As punishment, I demand you commit seppuku right here... or watch the intro 20 times.

At 2.28, who is in that picture? Looks so much like Paul Merton on the right.

So is there any person/group associated with this that shouldn't be incredibly embarrassed to have been so?

I remember Camp Candy and Gravedale High. I didn't see much of Gravedale High, but I do remember it. Some of those other ones made me facepalm. Pro Stars? Oh and the lip syncing on the Muhammad Ali show was terrible.

Bobby's world literally along with power rangers comprised a very large portion of my saturday mornings.

Leemaster777:
Bob, I love you but I am FORCED to throw my entirely impotent online rage your way.

You forgot Jackie Chan Adventures. Come on man, you make a show about Celebritoons and forget the absolute best one ever made? I don't even care that I'm only the 20th or so person to bring this up, all I could think of while watching this week's episode was "okay, when's he gonna talk about Jackie Chan Adventures?".

It's fun, it's genuinely high-quality, and it's EASILY as weird as some of the other cartoons you've listed (how many cartoons can you think of where a talking superhuman moose doll fighting a supernatural giant orange man isn't the WEIRDEST thing that's happened on the show?).

As punishment, I demand you commit seppuku right here... or watch the intro 20 times.

Exactly what this guy said. And you forgot the most recent effort for a celebritoon, Arnold Schwarzenegger's The Governator.

MB202:
I'm getting tired of MovieBob going "WTF did I just see?!" while I'm sitting there stone-faced at what he just showed. Granted, Mohammad Ali's face while talking was pretty weird, in an uncanny valley sort of way, but... well, maybe it's because I've been on the Internet AND I've seen what Cartoon Network and especially [adult swim] show on a regular basis, but the stuff he seems to imply are weird and insane, I'm just like "eh".

I agree, but then I saw a hockey puck turn into a boomerang and then explode.

Bob, I love you man, but you are seriously killing me with those opening theme songs. So bad. So, so bad.

I'm disappointed, he basically slapped some pieces of cartoons together and added some voice-over and those same faces he always uses; he didn't have a point or a bigger thing he was commenting on or even presenting and he even said so. The discussion is better than the episode, actually.

General Vagueness:
I'm disappointed, he basically slapped some pieces of cartoons together and added some voice-over and those same faces he always uses; he didn't have a point or a bigger thing he was commenting on or even presenting and he even said so. The discussion is better than the episode, actually.

Maybe you and I just have different tastes in this show, but these are the sorts of episodes that I love seeing him do. When I just get to learn and see about some stuff that I didn't know about before. Admittedly I prefer when he goes into a bit more detail on the subject, this one felt just like a junk drawer episode that had a theme (I mean Sucker Punch got two episodes, why couldn't this? Expand on some of these)

But I prefer these fun pop culture trivia episodes over stuff like the With Great Power episode he did a few weeks back.

Welp, you heard em, Bob. JACKIE CHAN ADVENTURES NEXT TUESDAY!!! ^D^

But yeah, incredibly goofy celbritoons > insufferable reality shows. At least the celbritoons were made to be fun and innocent; most reality shows are just so damn mean-spirited and repulsive on so many levels. Basic human decency is thrown out the window in the name of ratings.

No amount of Flavor Of Love can ever hope to match the magnitude that is HAMMERMAN.

That....that was just glorious...

MB202:
I'm getting tired of MovieBob going "WTF did I just see?!" while I'm sitting there stone-faced at what he just showed. Granted, Mohammad Ali's face while talking was pretty weird, in an uncanny valley sort of way, but... well, maybe it's because I've been on the Internet AND I've seen what Cartoon Network and especially [adult swim] show on a regular basis, but the stuff he seems to imply are weird and insane, I'm just like "eh".

Gotta agree with you on that.

Anyways, I think reality TV is worse. It really begs a question of, "Why should I care if bitch A doesn't like bitch B?"
I want my Music Television back.

I remember Hammer Man, actually I remember all these cartoons. I was just the right age when they came out. I don't think Kids really think about how stupid some of this stuff is. I remember enjoying the dancing and music sections in the Hammer Man show. I don't think I really knew very much about M.C. Hammer at the time but I remember that show.

Jackie Chan Adventures? That's pretty much the last show like that I can think of.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here