Jim & Yahtzee's Rhymedown Spectacular: House on the Hill

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

House on the Hill

Put on your poetry hats and join two of the greatest wordsmiths of our generation as they fill your ears with verse.

Watch Video

Don't worry Jim, I don't turn the video off after Yahtzee. Though I feel that watching says more about me than you.

Yahtzee:
I'm not usually one who's given to moan...

LIAR!
And not nearly enough tickling chorus there Jim, shoulda got Miracle of Sound to help you with that.
(See did watch all the way through)

Actually Jim I'd say by my score-count you often bring the better presentations (though you're both brilliant). Though I must say this particular one didn't tickle my fancy as much as the others. :P

karma9308:
Don't worry Jim, I don't turn the video off after Yahtzee. Though I feel that watching says more about me than you.

seconded, I love his twists and turns, taking it weird places. O Jim you're like a teenage girl posting selfies on facebook.

Jim, your poems never cease to disturb me.

I never turn it off after Yahtzee is done.

Although you do occasionally make me regret that decision.

Jim got a nice zing in there. I think he is parodying something, but am unsure what. Anyone know?

Really got a kick out of this one. Nice job, guys!

I laughed. You boys did well again.

Maybe it's because I'm tired but I didn't get either of those :/

Damnit Jim, if you try to get Ace Of Bass stuck in my head, I will turn it off after Yahtzee!

I kid, I could never do such a thing, your poems never cease to amaze me. What form that amazement might be, on the other hand...

Jim's got a good thing going as a mad poet, I think, probably works well as an outlet to keep greater insanity out of the Jimquisition, where he's got something easier to understand to say. Not that I'm not enjoying the surreal weirdness.

Also: Figures Yahtzee would live in a horror setting, suppose he'll be trying Castle Brenenburg next?

Zero Serenity:
Jim got a nice zing in there. I think he is parodying something, but am unsure what. Anyone know?

I'm pretty sure he's just doing it for shits and giggles at this point

I didn't think people turning the vid off halfway was a thing.
Never know if it's good or not until you watch it.

LaughingAtlas:
Jim's got a good thing going as a mad poet

That being said, I would say Yahtzee is the better wordsmith and Jim is doing well as a Mad Poet.

Think of it like this: They both have the same basic class, but have clearly gone down different skilltrees. :P

KOMega:
I didn't think people turning the vid off halfway was a thing.
Never know if it's good or not until you watch it.

LaughingAtlas:
Jim's got a good thing going as a mad poet

That being said, I would say Yahtzee is the better wordsmith and Jim is doing well as a Mad Poet.

Think of it like this: They both have the same basic class, but have clearly gone down different skilltrees. :P

They are both bards while Yahtzee is maximizing social skills and inspirational songs, Jim is going full battle nerf by maximizing 'Song of Confusion' to epic levels.

Jim, every poem you post definitely shows us another side of your twisted personality... and that's a good thing.

Yahtzee, you might wanna find another place aside from Raccoon City. It's pretty much gone to hell after the gangs of action genre and QTE's moved in.

:) I always listen to you both, Jim. (That said, 0_0 you freak me out sometimes.)

You both should make some poetry for the Escapist Expo! :D That would be great!

I'm new-ish here, so I can't profess to know a lot about Jim, but it seems that his 'descent into madness' is a deliberate choice to spite the naysayers who think he's awful. And if that really is the case, good on him. I enjoy both of them immensely.

hazydawn:

Yahtzee's is about the Resident Evil games over time, I think, and Jim is just being Jim in Nintendo land. ;D

Yahtzee's got the wordsmithing down by far, but when it comes to poetry it's Jim all the way.

It's just unfortunate that Jim will forever be doomed forever to toil away in the shadow of his own greatness, "Borealis".

You shouldn't have peaked so early.

If I turned off the vids after Yahtzee, I'd never have heard the magnum opus of Miltank. And I would be sadder for the loss.

Also Jim, if you care, you actually made me laugh out loud this week. ;)

I'm not sure which circle of hell tickling Gannondolf would be, but a more effective recompense for murder I cannot fathom.

Yahzee's poem about moving from horror game to horror game was more subtle, but I think Jim won this one in sure laugh out loudity

Imp Emissary:

hazydawn:

Yahtzee's is about the Resident Evil games over time, I think, and Jim is just being Jim in Nintendo land. ;D

It's about Silent Hill not Resident Evil.

I never turn it off after Yahtzee. The latter poems have been a bit 'meh' as of late, but I hope it's just a creative lull, and not because of Jim feeling pissed off or resentment. Today's was pretty pointless, but I have faith that Jim will swing a heavy right hook next week.

Rblade:

karma9308:

seconded, I love his twists and turns, taking it weird places. O Jim you're like a teenage girl posting selfies on facebook.

Only sexier, and I feel less creepy enjoying it!

...Waaaaaait.

Zero Serenity:

Ace of Base had a lesser known hit about tickling Saddam Hussein.

The previous sentence was completely made up, but would make so much sense in context.

Andy Shandy:
Damnit Jim, if you try to get Ace Of Bass stuck in my head, I will turn it off after Yahtzee!

I kid, I could never do such a thing, your poems never cease to amaze me. What form that amazement might be, on the other hand...

At least he wasn't promising to never give you up, never let you down, etc. etc.

Jim, that was a bit sad to hear. You both have talent and your parts often been great (your bounty hunter one is still one of the best of them all) but that said these two weeks have been weak. I mean at least I see now where its going and your kingdom romp of weirdness deserves props for trying a multi-episode attempt but this type of humor just falls flat to me for much the same reason I stopped listening to your podcasts. I find self deprecation along the lines of sexual perversion generally lackluster as a primary focus. this is basically story time so your one on Mario should have been about Mario.. the plumber just out to clean her pipes...or something and your one on Ganandorf should have been about Ganandorf.

As is, change the names and your story is exactly the same because they don't actually have anything to do with either character. You can do better than this and you usually do...

Nazrel:

Imp Emissary:

hazydawn:

You sure? Wasn't the dog thing a reference to the dogs that jump through the windows at you in one of the earlier games?

Then again, I'm not that familiar with either series, so maybe you're right.

I always watch Jim's poems. After all, half the time Yahtzee's poems are about games I don't care about. Like today. And I was amused and begiggled that Jim's poem happened to be about one of my favorite games, even if it was a bit weird.

Imp Emissary:

Nazrel:

Imp Emissary:

You sure? Wasn't the dog thing a reference to the dogs that jump through the windows at you in one of the earlier games?

There's dogs in silent hill series as well; and that was just reference after reference from the silent hill series.

Though I'm not 100% sure what the 7 foot high clown was, he was referencing downpour at the time so he might have meant the boogeyman.

I don't have any problems with Jim's writing style
His humoresque prose always ekes out a smile
I like his stick-to-it-ness; he just will not yield
His poems aren't bad; they're just out in left field

Yahtzee's are thoughtful and mem'ry-provoking
Jim's may be weird but, remember, he's joking!
After Yahtzee's dark prose (which is also quite funny)
The "Thank God For Me" guy hits right on the money

I'll have to admit, though, that Yahtzee's ARE better
Consider'bly more mem'rable than Jim's word and letter
But you must realize that life is so demanding
Without you peoples' lack of sheer understanding
(See what I did there? HA!)

So, Mr. Sterling, I hope it'll suffice
If I watch your poem only once (maybe twice)
You may not be mem'rable but cry zero tears
Who'll remember ANY of this in a hundred years?!

Am I SERIOUSLY the only one here who DOESN'T find this series to be a competition!? Frankly I, for one, love BOTH of Jim's AND Yahtzee's poems. Besides they don't even tackle the same subject, therefore comparing them would be comparing a banana and a Televison, two completely different things.

Nazrel:

Imp Emissary:

Nazrel:

There's dogs in silent hill series as well; and that was just reference after reference from the silent hill series.

Though I'm not 100% sure what the 7 foot high clown was, he was referencing downpour at the time so he might have meant the boogeyman.

The clown is Yahtzee's way of describing how subtle the later Silent Hills are compared to the ones that came before.

OT: I like poetry continuity.

Zhukov:

Zhukov:

Ha! +1

Though honestly, I loved Jim's this week. Creative and hilarious. And a frightening expose of Ganon....

On the flipside, this is the first week where I though Yahtzee's was only "okay." I hope this isn't a zero-sum game!

Nazrel:

Imp Emissary:

Nazrel:

Ah, I see what ya mean. I thought the clown reference was about how they have changed how they try to scare people over time. Going from the
"Oh God. There's something going on here. D: And I think it's going to get bad...",

to "*Monster pops out and goes* GAHBALBAGABLA RAHHAAAA!".
Then again, one could say something similar about both games.

However, thinking it all over, I'd say you're right. After all, why go to Raccoon City at the end, if that's where you started?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here