Jim & Yahtzee's Rhymedown Spectacular: House on the Hill

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Looming_Shadows:
Am I SERIOUSLY the only one here who DOESN'T find this series to be a competition!? Frankly I, for one, love BOTH of Jim's AND Yahtzee's poems. Besides they don't even tackle the same subject, therefore comparing them would be comparing a banana and a Televison, two completely different things.

Agreed, it is not a competition. Both are good in different styles and this is very different (and more entertaining) to what we're usually served up on gaming websites =)

Imp Emissary:

hazydawn:
Maybe it's because I'm tired but I didn't get either of those :/

Yahtzee's is about the Resident Evil games over time, I think, and Jim is just being Jim in Nintendo land. ;D

I think Yatzhee's talking about the Silent Hill games, then he ends it implying he'll move to Racoon City.

Also, what's so bad about Jim? Sure, he has a messed up head, but his poems are entertaining.

Two-A:

Imp Emissary:

hazydawn:
Maybe it's because I'm tired but I didn't get either of those :/

Jim is just being Jim in Nintendo land. ;D

What's so bad about Jim? Sure, he has a messed up head, but his poems are entertaining.

:) There isn't anything at all bad about Jim.
0_0 He just kind of freaks me out sometimes. In an entertaining way.....Mostly...

Edit: That said, :) he has a rather lovely singing voice.

1. At first I thought it was weird that Yahtzee said that his roommate screamed "METAPHOR!", one week after Jim said it.

2. I'll admit that I wasn't the biggest Jim Sterling fan, but now after watching his series I have really taking a liking to him. I hope he was just joking about feeling down over people only staying for Yahtzee's bit. EXPO is too far for me to bring him a plate of cookies.

Admit it Jim, your poem started out as a tongue twister! Hey, I always watch it all the way through. Jim is a smart guy when it comes to my beloved games industry. Thank god, for Jim!

I don't know what to say so I just typed tickling Ganon on deviantart. :P

Another stellar contribution to the series, although Jim takes the prize this week in my opinion.

Duncan Belfast:
Seems to me that Jim is eschewing the use metaphor as a tool to comment on the situation of games, in favour of writing video game-themed dadaist fetish poetry. I'm not sure if this means that he's stopped taking this seriously, finally found his niche, or both.

I think both, personally. I think "video game-themed dadaist fetish poetry" sums it up perfectly & only Jim can give me my fix. :)

Jim's bit was weirdly echoing with me, since Snowden just got asylum in Russia and the world wonders what kind of tit-for-tat deal he had to sign ....

It's not the people who don't listen to you... they don't matter. The ones who stick around make it worth it.
How much did Yahtzee blow on his teleprompter?

What does the clown who lets the sink overflow and all the terrible neighbors represent?
Who is Ganendorf?
What does he have to do with Mario?
What is Raccoon City?

I enjoy this show but you both completely lost me on this one.

With Yahtzee mocking Jim's loud exclamation of "METAPHOR!" and Jim complaining that people are tuning out once Yahtzee is done, I think people will look back one day and peg this as the beginning of the end of the Rhymedown Spectacular. Though probably not until their bodies have been recovered, hands still wrapped around the others' throat.

Liked this weeks as normal, until Jim's little comment about people turning off after Yahtzee. This was never supposed to be a popularity contest, this should have been obvious from the start as it is just two guys standing in front of a camera reading poetry, the popularity of which has diminished substantially in the past 500 years or so. It was just two guys who were good with words and who had an odd quirk or two expressing their creativity.

But Jim through that idea out the window and revealed it was all just a popularity contest which he was upset about because he believes he is losing at it? I expect better from Jim, in the past few years he managed to really turn me around on my opinion of him, I respected his love if the industry and the ideals he feels it represents. For him to do this now, and its this way, spits in the face of everything I believed he stood for, what I respected him for, what I admired him for.

There is a very strong possibility that I am just angry at Jim for getting two hideous tunes in my head (those being "Tickling Ganondorf" and "I saw the sign", obviously)

I didn't really get what Yahtzee was getting at. Jim's was pretty funny and I always watch them both.

compaqdeskpro:
What does the clown who lets the sink overflow and all the terrible neighbors represent?
Who is Ganendorf?
What does he have to do with Mario?
What is Raccoon City?

I enjoy this show but you both completely lost me on this one.

1) If you're talking about Yatzhee's poem, I think the neighbors are the residents of Silent Hill.
2) Ganondorf is the main villain of the Legend of Zelda games...
3) ...Which are made by Nintendo, hence the Mario reference.
4)Racoon City is the main setting of the first Resident Evil (and maybe 2 and 3, I'm not sure). Yatzhee's poem was talking about life in a town from an horror game (presumably SH). He ends the poem saying he'll move to Racoon City to improve his current situation (which is funny because RE is also a horror game).

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here