Miracle of Sound: The Crush (Pacific Rim)

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

The Crush (Pacific Rim)

I wanna hear that roarin sound, when I walk I will shake the ground.

Watch Video

Sweet, just checked the site to see if you'd uploaded. Seems like I was right on time. Excellent. Can't wait to see this on Saturday!

First off, that was awesome!

Energizing as hell. The moment it started out with that boom, I knew it was gonna be good :D

I also really liked the metal guitar bit in the middle/late middle. Nothing says fuck yeah like metal does.

Secondly, How the hell do you put out so many songs so fast? Beneath the Black Flag just came out, along with the GTA IV and Planescape Torment song. You're a monster. XD

Awesome song for an awesome movie. I have to go see it again in theaters before it's pulled from screening.

T0ad 0f Truth:
First off, that was awesome!

Energizing as hell. The moment it started out with that boom, I knew it was gonna be good :D

I also really liked the metal guitar bit in the middle/late middle. Nothing says fuck yeah like metal does.

Secondly, How the hell do you put out so many songs so fast? Beneath the Black Flag just came out, along with the GTA IV and Planescape Torment song. You're a monster. XD

Insomnia + obsessive, compulsive personality + work addiction + constant desire to create = lots of output :D

It's been a good month!

Where do you find your artists for the cover art?

Another amazing one, Gav! I was already getting pumped up from the first few notes!

Please do this one at the Expo!

MiracleOfSound:
The Crush (Pacific Rim)

I wanna hear that roarin sound, when I walk I will shake the ground.

Watch Video

Okay, this managed to wash the bad taste of The Worst Of Us out of my mouth. I no longer mentally associate Miracle of Sound with being surrounded by a culture of parenting that apparently thinks

VectorZero:
It's been a good month!

Where do you find your artists for the cover art?

Each artist's page is linked on the song page on bandcamp: http://miracleofsound.bandcamp.com/track/the-crush

Alyona Maksimova is the most regular one, she works fast and does amazing stuff. Alfred Khamidullin does the Level album covers and Zack Finrock does the more cartoony ones like Niko It's Your Cousin!

WarpZone:
Okay, this managed to wash the bad taste of The Worst Of Us out of my mouth. I no longer mentally associate Miracle of Sound with being surrounded by a culture of parenting that apparently thinks Committing Genocide in order to Prevent Jesus is a Good Thing To Be Proud Of as long as the Jesus in question is a 12 year old girl.

I think you missed the entire point of both that song and the game. You also might want to add spoiler tags to your post.

MiracleOfSound:

I think you missed the entire point of both that song and the game. You also might want to add spoiler tags to your post.

I've read about the ending and I still have no idea what they said :|

MiracleOfSound:

Pray tell. Please explain to me, with as many spoiler tags as you feel appropriate, what the point of the game was and what the point of your song was. Here's exactly what I took away from the game and why:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christ_figure

That's the story of the game, and that's the reason I don't like the game. But the critical reaction to the game just makes me want to cry. People are acting like "Oh, they made this great game about Fatherhood! It explores all these dad themes! THE FEELS!" I want to shake these guys and go "No, you idiots. It's not a game about fatherhood. It's a game about permitting the genocide of the entire human race to continue unchecked." It's a game about some jackass deciding that some 12 year old who is NOT his daughter, genetically or legally, is not allowed to do the most important thing any human being in the game's universe will ever do, all because he can't get over his personal baggage.

As far as I could tell, the purpose of your song was the same as all those reviews of the game: "Yay! Dad tropes! This game rocks and its message should be taken at face value!" If that was not the intent of your song, please explain exactly what you were going for, because that's what I got out of it.

Something very NIN-sy in the main riff.
I dig it.

I suppose that it's too late to add this to the movie, isn't it?

Then again, for all I know it could be in there since the projectionist decided that we were done watching the movie.

...I'll be in my bunk.

WarpZone:

As far as I could tell, the purpose of your song was the same as all those reviews of the game: "Yay! Dad tropes! This game rocks and its message should be taken at face value!" If that was not the intent of your song, please explain exactly what you were going for, because that's what I got out of it.

No, the point of the game was,

. It in no way told you anyone's actions were ethical or right and that's why it was great - it made the player think about their own ethics and how they would react in such a situation. Could you do what needed to be done or

That's also what the song is about. The 'best' of us doesn't mean the most ethical or good-natured. It very clearly asks in the chorus: what you would give up of your ethics and morals in order to be the best survivor. It also refers to Ellie's wish to

Presuming the content of a story glorifies the behavior of its characters is a dangerous attitude and it's what leads to stupid stuff like Iron Maiden getting branded as satanists in the 80s or people thinking videogame violence influences real life violence.

If this is how you consume art, I recommend never watching Game Of Thrones... you might blow up.

Heelllll yeah! This is the kind of music I'd blare if I was fightin' giant monsters.

That was pretty awesome!
I like that you could have easily gone the route of just copying Tom Morello's pretty iconic guitar style (he worked with Ramin Djawadi on the OST) but didn't.

MiracleOfSound:

Presuming the content of a story glorifies the behavior of its characters is a dangerous attitude and it's what leads to stupid stuff like Iron Maiden getting branded as satanists in the 80s or people thinking videogame violence influences real life violence.

If this is how you consume art, I recommend never watching Game Of Thrones... you might blow up.

Well apparently we did both get exactly the same message out of the game, if the point of the game is as you say. But then why is everyone online cheerleading about the game and how great the ending is? I'm not seeing any introspection. I'm not seeing anyone going "I would do something totally different in that situation" or "this game needs multiple endings." I just see people lapping it up and cheering about "hidden bands of content" that "hit you right in the gut, if you're a parent." In other words, "You'd do the same, if it was your kid." "If you were a parent, you'd understand."

If you're right and the game was actually MEANT to be questioned, dissected, picked apart and disagreed with, why isn't anyone but me saying it? It can't JUST be to avoid spoilers. Yahtzee's the only one I've heard say anything negative about the story, and to him it was just that he couldn't follow the plot or find a reason to care. He wasn't offended by Joel's choices or character. Just confused. Kinda bemused, like, "Okay but where's my reason to like the protagonist?"

Why did you couch the actual meaning of your song in lyrics that can be so easily confused with a literal reading of the events of the game, presented from Joel's side?

Anyway... If I did a song about The Last Of Us, it'd be much more straightforwardly condemning Joel. Actually... I already posted some lyrics in the The Best Of Us thread. I don't know if anyone saw them. They were the last post on the day when a new Miracle of Sound dropped, so I think they probably got ignored. IMHO they work best as a driving Metal song, with the Joel-sympathetic parts all emo and sad and seemingly sincere, and the really anti-Joel parts getting rougher and louder and angrier. Final line sadly spoken, not sang, while the last few guitar chords die off.

Sorry I don't consume media properly. Also, sorry that when 100% of media critics review that media and seem to take it at face value and not question it, I assume they're taking it at face value and not questioning it. How silly of me. That pattern of media consumption has probably put all sorts of bad ideas into my head, like the idea that Yahtzee doesn't like quicktime events because he's always saying he doesn't like quicktime events. It's insidious, these fallacies of mine!

guitarsniper:
That was pretty awesome!
I like that you could have easily gone the route of just copying Tom Morello's pretty iconic guitar style (he worked with Ramin Djawadi on the OST) but didn't.

The main riff was certainly influenced by the OST but yeah, did my own thing with the rest :)

Hadn't listened to any of your songs in a while (don't really know why, it just happened), when I saw that this one was about Pacific Rim.

*/listens to the song*

...I'm so sorry for leaving, TAKE ME BACK, DAMN YOU.

WarpZone:

If you're right and the game was actually MEANT to be questioned, dissected, picked apart and disagreed with, why isn't anyone but me saying it?

Dunno where you've been looking, almost everyone I talked to discussed it in that manner.

WarpZone:

Why did you couch the actual meaning of your song in lyrics that can be so easily confused with a literal reading of the events of the game, presented from Joel's side?

Because I don't like insulting my audience's intelligence.

WarpZone:

Anyway... If I did a song about The Last Of Us, it'd be much more straightforwardly condemning Joel.

So what you're saying is, art is only acceptable to you when it psychically bonds with your brain before you see or hear it, and it then coincides with exactly how YOU would have done it. Gotya.

*sigh* I'm sorry, man. This particular song was an excellent response to an excellent movie. I loved the main riff, it really felt slow, ponderous and mechanical, yet imbued with human purpose and righteous intent. Everything it needed to be.

I also really liked Necromorph Soup, just because. :P

MiracleOfSound:

Dunno where you've been looking, almost everyone I talked to discussed it in that manner.

I've been looking online, at reviews and blogs, where creative professionals and games journalists make public statements about what they thought of a game. If someone said something different to you in a private face-to-face conversation, I naturally wouldn't have heard about it.

MiracleOfSound:

So what you're saying is, art is only acceptable to you when it psychically bonds with your brain before you see or hear it, and it then coincides with exactly how YOU would have done it. Gotya.

No. >_< Subversive art is great. Confusing art is just fine. But The Last Of Us was not presented to the gamer community in the way that, say, Spec Ops: The Line was. Reviewers didn't do their naval-gazing publicly. They just kept saying "yay, parenting!"

It reminded me a lot of high school. I guarantee you that every single parent at the school I went to would gladly throw the entire student body under the bus to give their own personal kid even a slight short-term advantage. Worse, I see this kind of attitude being used every day, by businesses and individuals, to justify all the shittiest human behaviors.

So. That's why this ranting. It made me angry. Or rather, I took it at face value and it touched off a lot of OTHER shit I was angry about. YOUR art is fine. I didn't get it. You explained it, and I get it now, and that was on me for not getting it. But the game itself could have been presented better, or at least critiqued better, because until you told me in your own words that that was the POINT of the game, I thought I was literally the only one seeing it.

And I have a secret fear that there are two types of men: People who think Joel was wrong, and people who think Joel was right, and that the second class of people are the ones spending the most money buying up all the brown man-shooters, so nobody in the industry dares question them or call them on it after Spec-Ops sizzled. Instead they just keep smiling and nodding and making vague statements that could mean anything to anyone who hears them.

Note that I'm not accusing YOU of that. You've been very candid and straightforward, once I got your attention. I just don't understand why nobody else is recoiling in horror at the ending. Nobody's even saying that there's anything horrible in the ending to recoil from. They're just saying it's a great game with a great story about fatherhood. What the hell, industry?

You really think *our* interpretation of the ending is commonplace? *Really?* Cuz nobody's saying anything. If this was a Portal sequel the big twist at the end would be a meme by now, spoilers or no spoilers. It just strikes me as... atypical.

How could it be that everybody gets it, but nobody's talking about it? *I* got it, I just didn't think there was anything *to* get, let alone that everybody *else* got it, that's what made me angry. You're telling me that everyone else gets it too and that revulsion is actually what the developers were going for? Really? So how come everyone else is playing dumb, then? I don't see anyone else bragging about how they get it, except in a sense so general that I can't be sure they aren't just praising the game at face value, which is typical behavior and therefore what I expected going into reviews and the like.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just more surprised and confused now.

Really liked this; for some reason the rhythm of the song was what really made it for me, particularly in the chorus. I suppose it was because it really conveyed the rhythm of the Jaegers, both in the mechanical way they walked and the perfectly in sync pilots.

Also, the last few songs over the last month have all been brilliant Gav, and have really been a good group of diverse songs. The one that's stayed with me most is "Nameless", even though I have no idea what Planescape Torment was, and all I can gleam from it was your song and its music video. Still, I liked how it seemed like a song of the dead that lamented the life that the character had before. Was it intentional to not have a big climactic and loud end to it and have it on a (relatively)consistent pace and tone to it to convey the monotony of the dead?

:)

I know now what I will be listening on repeat for the next two hours

Jungy 365:
Really liked this; for some reason the rhythm of the song was what really made it for me, particularly in the chorus. I suppose it was because it really conveyed the rhythm of the Jaegers, both in the mechanical way they walked and the perfectly in sync pilots.

Glad to hear that, it was exactly what I intended - for the rhythm to sound like a big stomping, plodding Jaeger

Jungy 365:

Also, the last few songs over the last month have all been brilliant Gav, and have really been a good group of diverse songs. The one that's stayed with me most is "Nameless", even though I have no idea what Planescape Torment was, and all I can gleam from it was your song and its music video. Still, I liked how it seemed like a song of the dead that lamented the life that the character had before. Was it intentional to not have a big climactic and loud end to it and have it on a (relatively)consistent pace and tone to it to convey the monotony of the dead?

It was kind of meant to imply the way the Nameless one cannot die and every time he does he just comes back to life again :)

I wasn't sure how I was feeling about the song through the first little bit, but then the "I wanna feel that power surge" line came and the rest of the song blew me away. I'm sorry for doubting you for 15 secs, forgive me! I have a feeling this will be blaring over my speakers for a good long time.

Also whats with all the great songs recently? You're spoiling us! I can barely keep up with showing them to my friends!

MiracleOfSound:

http://kotaku.com/the-last-of-us-ended-perfectly-and-it-doesnt-need-a-s-534296961

http://www.polygon.com/2013/7/24/4548992/the-ending-of-the-last-of-us

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.819183-The-Last-of-Us-Plot-Ending-Discussion

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2013/06/17/coming-to-terms-with-the-difficult-ending-of-the-last-of-us/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61Rant7_oPI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxDZh2fd4AU

Huh.

Well, now I DO feel like an idiot.

But the only thing I can say in my defense is, I read the reviews WHEN THE GAME CAME OUT, and then I played the game. When I hit the ending, it came as a shock. If I had played the game first, without reading any of the initial reviews, perhaps I would have reacted to it the way the developers intended. But because I'd read Penny Arcade's and The Escapist's first look at it, I wasn't expecting that. I don't know what I was expecting. Supposedly it was this Good Game About Being A Parent. Maybe I was expecting a rehash of The Walking Dead. Worst case scenario, maybe Sephiroth was going to drop from the ceiling and run Ellie through with a giant katana, or something. But not what actually happened.

I feel better now, actually. You've reaffirmed my faith in humanity a little bit.

Sorry for making a scene.

WarpZone:
I read the reviews WHEN THE GAME CAME OUT

Reviews discussing the meaning of a game directly after a game's release tend to get slammed hard by the community. It's sad, because review should be critical and thoughtful, but let's face it. The gaming community is full of terrible, terrible people. And some good ones. But mainly terrible people.

You -can't- discuss the actually interesting things about a game when it comes out nowadays without potentially ruining a career. If Ocarina of Time came out today and a reviewer released an article on how the game explores maturity, death, feminism and diversity, no matter the quality of the article, it would get inundated with "SPOILERS11!1!11!" and "HURR WHUT A FAGIT, GAMES ARE JUST 4 FUN U NOOB LOL AMIRITE GUUIZ". It's the sad truth of the matter.

I'm glad you understand what they were going for now. Art can just randomly slip you by if you're not paying attention sometimes.

Wonderful song as always, Gav. It really captured the feel of the movie. After listening to all the songs you've put out recently, I've wanted to ask; Has the development of tinnitus, and the knowledge that you can't play your songs live, allowed you to experiment with different music styles that couldn't really be performed live?

Mudze:
I'm glad you understand what they were going for now. Art can just randomly slip you by if you're not paying attention sometimes.

Yeah. And, again. I *did* get it. Joel is a *spoilerz,* I get that. I got it in the first place, the first time I saw the ending happen. But WHILE I was watching that happen, I had to reconcile what I was seeing with the fact that trusted games journalists had told me that this was an awesome game for parents about parenting.

You can see how I connected the dots, right? This had nothing to do with me "missing" the fact that art was happening. This was me making incorrect assumptions about what Other People were reacting to in the art. In many ways, I suppose that probably paints a much worse picture of me, but there you have it.

Such an amazing movie.

WarpZone:
Snippety snip

Well, I disagree actually. It is an amazing game about parenting. The morality surrounding parenthood is incredibly complex and difficult to wrap your head around. Naughty Dog went with an extreme and chose the side against the idea that your child is all important in comparison to the human race, and I feel they did a more than adequate job presenting it that way. I do believe you missed the art that happened (while I am willing to concede that the entirety of the preceding sections of the game count as art, due to the tone, mood building, and characterisation, I do believe that the ending-ish scenes are the only parts of the game that classify as "high" art, which then after-the-fact turns the rest of the game into high art), because the art that happened was that the game presented a choice that you're supposed to consider and feel conflicted about, but then disagree with Joel. The whole point of the game was to make you incredibly uncomfortable about the choices of this man you've been following and supporting. It's unfortunate that garmez jurnalizm led you astray though. Try keeping a fresh mind in future, ignore what reviewers say it's about.

I'm going to have to listen to this again. You all seemed to really like it, but it didn't get off the ground for me. I'll give it another try tomorrow.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here