Escapist News Now: Batman: Arhkam Origins Online Multiplayer

Batman: Arhkam Origins Online Multiplayer

Warner Bros announced they are adding an online component to Batman: Arkham Origins.

Watch Video

I've already whined about shoehorning multiplayer elements in a game never designed for it on other sites, so I'll just say this:

How is Bane and Joker an equal pairing? Wouldn't Joker v Penguin or Joker v Two Face make more sense? Bane is practically super human where the others are interesting personifications of various neurosis/psychosis.

Who knows, maybe players will get to pick. Though I can't help but think this will be a "good in theory" game mode that ends up closer to Left 4 Dead where players Rage Quit the minute they don't draw Tank (Or in this case, Batman) at the beginning of the match up. But we'll see I suppose.

Tomb Raider, Last of Us, Bioshock 2, and Assassin's creed Brotherhood all had multiplayer for no forseeable reason. Didn't effect the quality of the single player any. My Reaction is mostly, "Cool. Something new to try out".

Errrmmmmeeeehhhhrrrmmmmmeeeeehhhhhhhhh..........

So long as Batman and Robin aren't just obscenely overpowered (as you'd think they would be...or at least as I think they would be) I'd say it's worth a shot. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood had a VERY surprisingly fun multiplayer when I didn't see how they could make it work......I guess it's worth a shot.

Shadowstar38:
Tomb Raider, Last of Us, Bioshock 2, and Assassin's creed Brotherhood all had multiplayer for no forseeable reason. Didn't effect the quality of the single player any. My Reaction is mostly, "Cool. Something new to try out".

To be fair, Assassin's Creed's multiplayer was fun, for a while. Not much variety, but fun and tense when people weren't just roofrunning like morons, which was never.

(Full disclosure: I only ever played Revelations' multiplayer)

OT: I'm cautiously intrigued by this. It really depends on implementation, but playing as enemy henchmen in a stealth game setup seems like it could work pretty well. I'm going to have to wait for specifics, like what exactly the superheroes are trying to do (taking out all the enemies isn't likely, since that would mean no respawns and thus lots of boring waiting for characters taken out early).

As typical as this has become, it looks promising all the same. The Arkham games (and Imposters) have been great, so we should give this the BOTD

It's not a straightforward deathmatch, so there's my biggest fear out of the way. I'm a huge fan of asymmetrical competitive multiplayer (I loves me some Archenemy in MTG, for example) so count me in. I won't be there for launch day, but once this comes down in price I'll definitely give it a go, rather than passing it up completely or buying it used the way I was going to.

That said, anyone who says this isn't going to impact single-player, I wish I had your optimism. Making this is going to cost money, which comes from the dev team's budget. That's money and man-hours (Bat-man-hours?) that could be going to the single-player experience instead. It could be spent on more graphic artists, which leads to larger/prettier levels. It could be spent on voice actors/directors/editors, which would lead to more polished voice acting or overall sound design. It could even go to (gasp!) QA testers, resulting in a smoother, less-buggy experience. Instead it's going somewhere else. That someplace else might be really awesome, but it's still money going to somewhere other than the primary gameplay experience, which is what people bought the first two games for.

While I was worried about the part where the goon shouted "FRAG OUT!", what managed to sway me was the "3 Vs 3 Vs 2" part.
It's like Spies Vs Mercs! :D

Also, a Youtube comment said the old guy doing the voice over was Adam West, any proof to that?

Shadowstar38:

Well, in those case, they already had boatloads of money coming from their backers (Square Enix, Sony, 2K, Ubisoft), enough to properly support both Single and Multi.

However, if Warner decide to cut a corner, this whole thing could some crashing down.

Like most games with online multiplayer I'll probably open up the UI, check it out a little and then never log in...eventually it with wither and fall of from lack of use...like that vestigial twin that nobody talks about.

"why Lisa, WHHHHHHY!" I don't get why they are doing this, its not as if multi player is going to move more units, the Arkham games are already an insanely popular franchise, and they are not getting any of the COD money by doing this. I can only hope that they get another dev team for the mulit-player so no time is wasted on what has been a great single player game experience so far, On the other hand Rocksteady isn't making this game, so single player may suck either way.

EDIT
Having re-watched the video my fears have been dulled, the mode actually sounds interesting and I realized that the devs are indeed separate for single and multi player. Playing as a goon sounds interesting, and like another poster mention might even make it an L4D kind of experience.

Not as horrible as I thought it was going to be..

watching 16 Batmans beat each other up would get boring after a while

Could be fun, as an addition. Anyone else really dig the new look for Bane? I didn't really like how he was displayed in the original two. He was supposed to be imposing but he looked like a joke, this look suits him much better. Better reflects his brilliance as well, he's not supposed to just be a pumped up baffoon. :)

Baron Tanks:
Could be fun, as an addition. Anyone else really dig the new look for Bane? I didn't really like how he was displayed in the original two. He was supposed to be imposing but he looked like a joke, this look suits him much better. Better reflects his brilliance as well, he's not supposed to just be a pumped up baffoon. :)

I'm liking the looks in this one too.

Damn, I so wanted coop (Bats & Nightwing/Robin/Batgirl) campaign...this is just meh.

hooray for more generic time/resource wasting additions that add nothing new to the genre.

Given the setting of the game how hard would it be to have co-op missions like Tenchu Z but you know... better or a co-op survival mode where combos can be linked together.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here