Digga', Please

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Digga', Please

Those kinds of people.

Read Full Article

Good point. Has anyone addressed the horrifying racism in this game before now? Jeez everyone's just been focussed on the huge, bouncing, barely-covered, hypnotising.. -sorry- breasts.

I don't get it. I haven't played the game but isn't the dwarf another warrior and the elf the typical... dunno... ranged warrior, or rogue?

Teoes:
Good point. Has anyone addressed the horrifying racism in this game before now?

Enlighten me. Why is it racist? Because it can't be the dwarf who is doing magic?

Edit: Ok, got it. Thanks all ^^

Hooting over hooters
And they DID have a trailer for what the elf does.

hazydawn:
I don't get it. I haven't played the game but isn't the dwarf another warrior and the elf the typical... dunno... ranged warrior, or rogue?

Teoes:

Enlighten me. Why is it racist? Because it can't be the dwarf who is doing magic?

Dude, it's because the rest of the characters are identified by their profession, not their race.

hazydawn:

Teoes:

It'd probably be Racist by how their not defined by their specialization/class (which would probably be Berserker & Ranger) like the other classes (who are all human), but are instead defined by their race.

Does anyone else find the fighters absurdly small head hilarious? It looks like a furry pea atop a boulder.

I think some people are going to miss the joke, as well as the racism-fest that is most fantasy.

hazydawn:

Teoes:

I think its a joke to the fact that they call the fighter a fighter, the wizard and sorceress are both called respectively, but the Elf and Dwarf are called by their race. Though Im curious as to why the amazon isnt there either...

size15boot:

hazydawn:

Teoes:

Dude, it's because the rest of the characters are identified by their profession, not their race.

Exactly.

They should be called The Archer and The Berserker. But instead they went racist.

Would the amazon being called "the Amazon" be racist? She's not another race in the sense the Elf and Dwarf are, but she's still just named after her Ethnicity...

Angelous Wang:
They should be called The Archer and The Berserker.

I thought the Amazon was the Berserker.
I think it's like this:
Dwarf - Amazon - melee Barbarian class
Wizard - Sorceress - Mage class
Fighter - Elf -> melee/tank - ranged/dps just a touch of opposites instead of similarities.

Heh, that old thing. But yeah, bit half-arsed, do dwarfs all have the same job? Elves?

The dwarf digs holes and the elf bakes cookies. Duh.

Stereotypes exist for a reason you know.

Eleuthera:
Would the amazon being called "the Amazon" be racist? She's not another race in the sense the Elf and Dwarf are, but she's still just named after her Ethnicity...

No. Race is biological subset, ethnicity is a cultural subset. Not the same thing.

Example: Race - Caucasian
Ethnicities - Irish, Welsh, German, French, Slovak, etc.

OT: I see what you did there. Good form sirs. keep up the good work.

Isn't it obvious? They do... elf-y and dwarf-y things.

What else can you expect from elves and dwarves?

...and Amazons?

Yeah the Warrior does have an absurdly small head, and of course the Dwarf is about 3x as wide as he his tall.

In fact only the wizard and elf are in any way realistic in body shape, and the Elf is the only girl who wears a proper outfit too.

As far as I can tell the Dwarf is yet another fighter as is Amazon. And the elf is the stereotypical ranged bow-using type.

Eleuthera:

Depends on the world.

In certain things I've seen amazon used as class/job role and not an ethnicity. Whilst in other things amazon is an Ethnicity and not a class.

Though if they were using it as an Ethnicity technically it should be The Amazonian.

It's less of a racism issue than it is a Tolkien-induced prejudice issue.
Still, interesting point.

"You dig your hole, I'll build my wall."

-Just seems appropriate for all this.

Teoes:

This game? Probably not. The genre in general? Just about everyone who's ever commented on it.

Ed130:
Does anyone else find the fighters absurdly small head hilarious? It looks like a furry pea atop a boulder.

I found it quite funny too, his legs look improbably small compared to his torso as well. I think it's something people fail to notice when it comes to complaining about the style of the female characters. While the male characters are not sexualised, they are just as ridiculously proportioned. The Sorceress would have some serious back issues, but the Fighters body combined with the armour would snap his knees.

Realism clearly is not something they were going for here.

OT: I haven't really paid much attention to the game, as is proven by the fact that I didn't even think twice about the fact the Elf and the Dwarf were named by race whereas the others were by class.

I like the way Cory draws the Elf too.

Piorn:

How so ?

Tolkien's dwarves and elves all had different professions and roles that were never defined only by their races.

It's a japanese game and it's racist.
Doh.

cricket chirps:
"You dig your hole, I'll build my wall."

-Just seems appropriate for all this.

Well done, sir (or ma'am), well done! That was a lovely soundtrack indeed.

All the commotion is almost forcing me to get this game so I can check it out myself. It seems like a fun game and I did like Odin Sphere.

amaranth_dru:
No. Race is biological subset, ethnicity is a cultural subset. Not the same thing.

I'm aware of the difference between race and ethnicity, my question was more in line with "What do you call it if it's about ethnicity?"

yellost:

Piorn:

How so ?

Tolkien's dwarves and elves all had different professions and roles that were never defined only by their races.

That's true, but I was thinking of the Fellowship of the Ring, which had several humans, several Hobbits, a wizard, the Melee-Dwarf, and the Ranger-Elf and let's be honest, 95% of people who know that team don't know all the lore of Middle Earth.
It might not be the origin of this, but that specific setup has been burned into the subconcious.

I can just see the Fighter's answer. "Well sorry you two, but affirmative action says by law we have to hire some minorities, so to keep our butts out of a sling with the adventurers guild, we chose you."

Honestly, the title for this strip just reminds me of how much I miss Doraleous & Associates.

Yes, I'm still bitter about that. Sue me.

It's a shoutout to really old D&D where elves and Dwarves were both a class *and* a race. Not that it makes me like the game any better... And I'm not gonna play it anyway because I'm not a console gamer.

Eleuthera:

amaranth_dru:

I'm aware of the difference between race and ethnicity, my question was more in line with "What do you call it if it's about ethnicity?"

Since there are no different races inside the species homo sapiens it is always about ethnicity. So you call it racism.

LadyRhian:
It's a shoutout to really old D&D where elves and Dwarves were both a class *and* a race. Not that it makes me like the game any better... And I'm not gonna play it anyway because I'm not a console gamer.

Quite right - there is a long-simmering argument in Old School D&D in which the extreme positions are held by those who treat classes as professions (so that dwarves can be fighters, clerics, etc.) and those that treat classes as archetypes (in which case "dwarf" itself is an archetype with certain assumptions baked into it).

I tend to like a more moderate approach in my games: races are not classes, but classes are still archetypes. This is closer to what AD&D 1e advocates (although there are the thief/assassin classes, that toe the line between archetype and profession). By keeping classes as archetypes, though, you don't have to deal with endless sub-classes, which are just flavors of the main archetypes (usually with game-breaking rules).

Don't be mad my Elf, i'll give you some purple potion.

size15boot:

hazydawn:

Teoes:

When has an elf in a fantasy world had a profession anything other than the one who kills things with arrows? Same goes with the dwarf and axeing stuff into oblivion.

And also, elves and dwarves aren't a race. A race of what?? They're far more different from each other than, say, Africans are from Asians.

I'm actually kind'a disappointed we have a wizard and an amazon. I would have thought a better roster would have been a cleric and a thief/rogue, maybe even a paladin instead of the Fighter.

Amazon, Fighter and Dwarf are all just redundant versions of each other. The elf is at least a hybrid.

Oh, so because I'm an elf I must be good at archery and play with woodland creatures.
Pfft...
racist.

:P

Ed130:

It is hilarious, and one of the reasons I find it funny the game is getting such controversial discussions.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here