Escapist News Now: Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag Underwater Gameplay

Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag Underwater Gameplay

Andrea Rene flew around the world to Ubisoft Singapore to learn more about Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag. While there she spoke with the development team about the new underwater gameplay mechanics including "free swimming," underwater combat, treasure hunting, and more.

Watch Video

Navigation has always been a huge pillar of Assassin's Creed.

This wonderful pun.

OT: Are shark attacks while diving likely enough for them to be justified as semi-common occurrences? I only know statistics for coastal shark attacks.

Double A:

This wonderful pun.

OT: Are shark attacks while diving likely enough for them to be justified as semi-common occurrences? I only know statistics for coastal shark attacks.

No. Sharks only ever hurt people out of confusion or extreme desperation. The only things that will intentionally hurt humans are animals doing it out of defense-- it's just a matter of understanding what an animal considers defending itself. A shark has the whole ocean to do its thing, so if it feels threatened by a human, it just swims away. An eel, however, lives in its hole, so if you approach its hole, it will fucking maul you to protect its home.
This kind of results in a funny little thing where apex preditors, especially obligate carnivores-- animals that MUST kill and eat other animals, tend to be the biggest pushovers. A moose can break a leg trying to attack an animal that might not have been a threat, just in case, and still be able to eat leaves off a tree. A wolf that breaks its leg attacking an animal that might not have been a threat, however, will starve to death because its food flees for its life. This is why moose will always be more dangerous than wolves and bears and much, much quicker to attack, often for no real reason.

TLDR; Predators are less way less likely to hurt a human than herbivores, and our entertainment industries incessantly painting them as actively hunting us down to justify butchering them is basically the same sort of thought process that Zimmerman uses to defend himself from somebody who's actually not a threat at all and is minding his own bussiness.

Deshara:

Double A:

This wonderful pun.

No. Sharks only ever hurt people out of confusion or extreme desperation. The only things that will intentionally hurt humans are animals doing it out of defense-- it's just a matter of understanding what an animal considers defending itself. A shark has the whole ocean to do its thing, so if it feels threatened by a human, it just swims away. An eel, however, lives in its hole, so if you approach its hole, it will fucking maul you to protect its home.
This kind of results in a funny little thing where apex preditors, especially obligate carnivores-- animals that MUST kill and eat other animals, tend to be the biggest pushovers. A moose can break a leg trying to attack an animal that might not have been a threat, just in case, and still be able to eat leaves off a tree. A wolf that breaks its leg attacking an animal that might not have been a threat, however, will starve to death because its food flees for its life. This is why moose will always be more dangerous than wolves and bears and much, much quicker to attack, often for no real reason.

TLDR; Predators are less way less likely to hurt a human than herbivores, and our entertainment industries incessantly painting them as actively hunting us down to justify butchering them is basically the same sort of thought process that Zimmerman uses to defend himself from somebody who's actually not a threat at all and is minding his own bussiness.

I thought as much.

They could always do what they did earlier this year and make them cyber-sharks.

I hope as a bonus they include other older character models in this, I would love to play as Ezio the dolphin!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here