Zero Punctuation: Mario & Luigi: Dream Team

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Mario & Luigi: Dream Team

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Mario & Luigi: Dream Team.

Watch Video

I'm a bit sad you didn't enjoy Dream Team. It seemed like something that might hit enough of the right buttons for you. I was kind of looking forward to it, but then again I never played Inside Story. Partners in Time was alright though.

It does seem like a general trend that Mario games, even from branches of the series that were great, are becoming soulless, boredom-inducing slogs.

As someone that has yet to play a Mario and Luigi game, I actually expect this one to be good since I won't have the greatness of the other ones ruining this one. I still need to beat that first Paper Mario game also...

That last joke has to be one of the funniest endings I've seen on this show

I really enjoyed Inside Story yet I am cautious this time around. I do agree that having Bowser as the straight up villain is rather uninspired. Even though Yahtzee mentions the cut off ending of the last game, wasn't there an post credits where they gave Bowser a present?

I wanted to see more crazy team ups. Also Fawful was a fresh choice, even if he did appear before.

As a side, I wonder if that last joke will go over the heads of those outside of Europe. Other news sources can be overly selective sometimes n some countries.

Funny video, but 3 minutes of Nintendo ranting before you actually started talking about the game! Losing your touch there, normally its 5 :P

Are these games really RPGs? That much more interested in both of them now.

Also, best reduction of Peach and whole mario universe EVER.

You know, I'm not at all on board with this whole Year of Luigi thing. Don't get me wrong, I like Luigi, I like Luigi just fine; but I've always thought of the brothers as just that brothers, partnership. Kind of like Sam and Dean from Supernatural only without all the crazy angels and daemons and other monsters.

Sunday cannot get here fast enough. At least I have pikmin 3 and Tales of Xillia to hold me over.

Also I'm shocked that it was released in Europe and Australia before america but hey at least Nintendo isn't screwing you guys over like everyone else in the game industry.

I think "genderswapped Berlusconi" is the best description of Peach i've ever heard.

That was the most indept character study of Bowser that I've ever heard...

Captcha: pipe dream

AH!

Well it's been 30 years but Luigi finally got to sleep with Princess Peach.

Edit: Fuck you captcha

I think if there is a real sith lord somewhere Yahtzee is the first one he'll try to recruit.
or Bowser...

Funny episode!!

I never really got the complaint about the whole holding hands thing.
I mean...I played FE for 12 hours straight and the only thing that hurt was my brain (which happens to everyone who plays games for too long per day)

On that note, it seems a lot of people really like Dream Team, and considering how the guy at my Gamestop said that on release they will only be able to sell ONE copy because of all the preorders they got, it may be that you are just in the minority.

Also I don't know why you are criticizing the whole "Year of the Luigi" thing. Especially when you stated that you fear that they are trying to bury Mario, when you yourself have made videos basically chastising them for putting Mario on the forefront of everything.

Also yes. Luigi has a lot more personality than Mario, and honestly that means he has a lot more freedom to be put in various games.

The "genderswapped Berlusconi" line has officialy ruined both Mario and Italian politics for me.

*raucous applause* :)

"Irritable Bowser Syndrome"! That about made me fall out of my chair with laughter, because I actually do suffer occasional IBS (believe me, if you can't learn to laugh about such a condition on occasion, it'll drive you insane).

Taking the piss out of People who didnt get the game yet... Really, Yahtzee?

Hows that not having M-rated games allowed & paying for over priced games thing going?

At least you still have nice beaches... in a country full of the world's deadliest killer insects/animals/lizards

...Just kidding, Big fan.

So it's another Luigi game except this one is boring and fails to be better than Luigi's Mansion (judging on it's review), ah well. It's not as if I have a 3DS to play it on. Nice review.

Oh wow, a Berlusconi-joke in a Zero Punctuation episode. Never thought I'd see this day...

Dragonbums:
I never really got the complaint about the whole holding hands thing.
I mean...I played FE for 12 hours straight and the only thing that hurt was my brain (which happens to everyone who plays games for too long per day)

It can be uncomfortable for some people at times, heck I've had problems with Dream Drop Distance. Although I think Yahtzee has the original 3DS which was way smaller and can be kinda a pain to hold, I know because that's what I've been playing Dream Drop Distance and Dark Moon on. XP

OT: For me I'm still getting Dream Team because I've loved the Mario & Luigi series a lot. Heck the music is done by Yoko Shimomura, the person who does all the Kingdom Hearts games' music and who did Super Mario RPG's music. :D

PsychedelicDiamond:
I think "genderswapped Berlusconi" is the best description of Peach i've ever heard.

Yup. Pretty sure that's the first thing I'll think about whenever I hear Princess Peach or Berlusconi mentioned from now on.

Mangod:
The "genderswapped Berlusconi" line has officialy ruined both Mario and Italian politics for me.

*raucous applause* :)

Italian politics are best when viewed as soap opera anyway. I'd say it's an improvement.

freaper:
Oh wow, a Berlusconi-joke in a Zero Punctuation episode. Never thought I'd see this day...

Yeah, that really caught me off guard. Brilliant :P

So everything in Nintendo is becoming uninspired soulless and generic

Then entire review was hilarious, but oh god, the visual joke during the credits, I can't breathe, my chest hurts, oh god I'm going to die of laughter

Main question I have is, Did Fawful continue being the only consistent villain to appear in all the M&L games?

Oh Yahtzee... It's easy to put a sleeping bag back in its original bag: you just zip it open, grab it by the end and kinda pull it in... Or something like that

Heh, the last joke. Didn't laugh in the review until then, but that got me.

One of the funniest videos Yahtzee made yet! I loved how he wedged the word "fucking" in another instance of the word "fucking"! Now I'm convinced that "Berlusconi" is a name for a sexual maneuver, and a particularly filthy and degrading one as well. I'm also intrigued by having a game where you play as Bowser for real!

Jman1236:
Sunday cannot get here fast enough. At least I have pikmin 3 and Tales of Xillia to hold me over.

Also I'm shocked that it was released in Europe and Australia before america but hey at least Nintendo isn't screwing you guys over like everyone else in the game industry.

Heh, yeah, you'll have Pikmin 3 to hold you over for 2 whole days before you beat it 100%.

Well, it seems that Yahtzee has dubbed Dream Team "slightly okay" so by Yahtzee's standards, I'm sure this game will be great when I get it.

"Gender swapped Berlusconi." Can this be a t-shirt? Plaese. I know it is a fleeting joke and not to many might get it but it caught me really off guard.

That was not a dream about Bowser his ding-dong. You've been visiting Rule34 way too many times Yahtzee.

And you've got that Berlusconi part down.

I laughed for a solid 30 seconds at Irritable Bowser Syndrome.

Random Argument Man:
That was the most indept character study of Bowser that I've ever heard...

Captcha: pipe dream

AH!

Take a look at his portrayal in "There Will Be Brawl" or "Video Game Reunion" then. What can I say? I like stories where the bad guy is either noble,sympathetic,or wants to redeem themselves.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here