Escapist News Now: Left 4 Dead 3 Spotted at Valve

Left 4 Dead 3 Spotted at Valve

Recently a group of DOTA 2 players from a subreddit went to Valve's headquarters in Bellevue, Washington where they snapped some photos.

Watch Video

I actually spotted a countdown for L4D3 a couple of weeks ago, it was at 30 days to go when I found it. The odd thing was it was under a Russian domain name. I linked it to Andy, but he never made an article about it because neither of us could find any more information about it.

EDIT: Here it is http://l4d3.ru/ now at 15 days.

okay, lets see where this will go after they already exploited gun and melee combat.

also inb4 HALF LIFE 3 CONFIRMED!!!

rhizhim:
okay, lets see where this will go after they already exploited gun and melee combat.

Maybe some form of creating your own weapons on the fly?

Either way I'm looking forward to some new life in the L4D community but I do hope they don't discard the survivors of the previous games. Not looking forward to the hours I will end up losing to L4D3, so here's hoping it will be a few years from now!

I think it would be hilarious if it turned out that "Left 4 Dead 3" was a development code for Half Life 3.

Still, it's interesting what they'll do with the third Left 4 Dead assuming it's real. New special infected? New campaigns are a sure, but I can't imagine what they'll do to revamp the gameplay.

rhizhim:

Well, when you think about it...

L4D3. L = 12th letter of the alphabet. 12/4 = 3. L is also present in the initials for Half-Life. 4 + 3 = 7. 7th letter of the alphabet is...G. Ok, add 1, because lowercase l looks a bit like a 1. 8th letter of the alphabet is H. Put it together and you get...HL3! OMG HL3 confirmed!!!!1one!!!brrrrrrrrrttt.

But seriously, it would be neat to see a new engine from Valve with which to show off a new FPS game. And who knows, maybe they have just been holding back for their new engine before doing any further work on another Half-Life installment...

Kungfu_Teddybear:
I actually spotted a countdown for L4D3 a couple of weeks ago, it was at 30 days to go when I found it. The odd thing was it was under a Russian domain name. I linked it to Andy, but he never made an article about it because neither of us could find any more information about it.

EDIT: Here it is http://l4d3.ru/ now at 15 days.

that countdown ends exactly as 8/22/13 begins. that just also happens to be the day valve is apparently appearing at Gamescom. not saying it all means something, but it's a coincidence worth watching.

Phrozenflame500:
I think it would be hilarious if it turned out that "Left 4 Dead 3" was a development code for Half Life 3.

Still, it's interesting what they'll do with the third Left 4 Dead assuming it's real. New special infected? New campaigns are a sure, but I can't imagine what they'll do to revamp the gameplay.

different weapon/support item combos to be sure.

ie:

-A new regular ammo pack that upgrades your ammo capacity to 2.5 it's base amount, but no health pack. Trade off, two pills/shots.

-Handgun and melee combo, no primary guns

Or Character specific traits.

-Coach can take more damage/has more health, but his knee injury makes me slower than all survivors when in red health.

-Francis has quicker and stronger melee strikes than anyone in the cast.

Possibly AI Marauding Survivors. Those who know people with out masks are carriers and gun for your survivors. Infected and SI attack both alike.

Hell, ANY of the crap they promised with the AI Director 2.0. Taken from the steam store page

AI Director 2.0: Advanced technology dubbed "The AI Director" drove L4D's unique gameplay - customizing enemy population, effects, and music, based upon the players' performance. L4D 2 features "The AI Director 2.0" which expands the Director's ability to customize level layout, world objects, weather, and lighting to reflect different times of day.

The only time I ever saw a 'different layout' to the level is when you play No Mercy and you cross that broken down door in the second floor of the mall. Sometimes you take a left, sometimes you take a right. That's the only difference ever. If I played Left4Dead and each map has at least... 3 different choices for continuing forward at three different places on each map, I'd never get tired. I know the maps so well, I can do it in my sleep

But really, this is one of those games that the formula is sound and you just need more of it. Like football or chest.

Zombies are pure cash atm it would seem can't blame valve for putting LFD before halflife... but whatever this is all rumors and guesswork. We shall see soon enough... or not for this is valve and much like blizard they don't care for timescales on there projects.

I don't know what to think.
On one side, we're getting (finally) a new, beloved game from Valve.
On the other side, the "Valve can't count to 3" joke will die...

Oh my god!
Someone at Valve passed Kindergarten.
They can finally count to three!

Never been that into L4D but I am interested in the new Source engine.

I will be very very sad if a L4D3 comes out before HL3, especially considering one of these franchises started in the 90s

That's really exciting news, I'm actually more excited for a new L4D than a new Half Life (flameshield at 70% and holding, captain).

By the way, where did the footage come from? It looks like promo pre-rendered footage for The Passing but I don't recall seeing it before (in the 360 version).

That's a bit disappointing if true. I would've liked to see a new Half-Life, Portal or Team Fortress installment.

L4D seems like the lesser of Valve's franchises since it has little to distinguish itself from other zombie shooters except for some superior design decisions.

Im am pretty glad that It isnt Half Life 3/ Ep 3 as ive never really liked it, and I wouldve preferred a new Portal, but hey I guess a Left 4 Dead 3 will have to do. Although I am interested as to how they will make a third game seem different over the original and 2.

Not to be taken at face value, what's to say some pranksters at Valve didn't put that up since they knew in advance?

/mundane conspiracy theory

EDIT: Seems legit.

Oh, good. I am entirely more excited for a new Left 4 Dead than a new Half Life- Here's hoping this time they alter the "3 guys and 1 girl" formula. Maybe 2 girls? Ooh, or even, maybe even 3 girls. Stop me if I'm being dangerous, here.

In any case, sure hope this is really happening.

I'm curious to see what new additions the infected might have this time around. My problem with L4D2 is that while they got more variety, the survivors still seemed to outclass them in term of capability. Maybe that was by design, but I'd like to see more changes to the infected than just a handful of new types.

Mahorfeus:
I'm curious to see what new additions the infected might have this time around. My problem with L4D2 is that while they got more variety, the survivors still seemed to outclass them in term of capability. Maybe that was by design, but I'd like to see more changes to the infected than just a handful of new types.

I think it really depends on what difficulty you play at, but I kinda agree.
still, I do think it was by design, L4D's shtick has always been taking down hordes of undead, maybe giving the specials smarter or more unpredictable AI would make players pause for thought more often.

Let's see how long it takes for the servers to get plagued by rage-quitters and votekickers!

as long HL 3 comes out, im happy. havent touched L4D for ages but i sure will be interested to have it.

Man, it's really exciting to see the stuff Valve is working on. Particularly Source 2, every advancement in that seems to be an advancement in indie developer's abilities to deliver higher quality titles.

LFD3 will also be fun.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here