How to Talk About Games #1

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

How to Talk About Games #1

A gentleman's guide to discussing the games o' video.

Read Full Article

It's all smooth sailing from here on out...

"...most gamers lack the basic cognitive toolset..."
That's putting it mildly.

Not only are you completely correct, I like the sneak punch you took at Gearbox. Seriously, every time I hear they are making something new, I cringe...

That's sheer fantasy.

1) No way that Valve would send you anything other then a hat.
2) There was no teasing of a third cupcake

Although I do like the fact that Erin could see the glass shards and still bit into it

Last panel reminds me of Mecha-Hitler from "Nazis at the Center of the Earth." If any of you have also actually seen that movie, let's share in our pain. To everyone else, STAY AWAY (unless you drink the tears of dead babies).

I think I LOLed more than I should have at the fucked up Hitler at the end. XD He's so funny!
Also, gotta love this line: "Those are valid OPINIONS, but they are not ARGUMENTS" - That's a very nice way of conveying what you mean! Nice!

I don't know....
Cross-eyed zombie pirate cyborg extendo-arm pistol-hand Hitler does sound crazy enough to work.

TiberiusEsuriens:
Last panel reminds me of Mecha-Hitler from "Nazis at the Center of the Earth." If any of you have also actually seen that movie, let's share in our pain. To everyone else, STAY AWAY (unless you drink the tears of dead babies).

Thanks for the reminder! I just started reflexively trying to claw my eyeballs out again! (and I just got the bandages off from the last time)

How to make an opinion into an argument; Add 'because' to a statement that carries an opinion. As seen in 'Valve is good, because..', and follow it up with a reason that is generally accepted to be something positive. There, it's an argument. Not always a good argument, but it still is.

What has Valve made that's full of pubes and broken shards of glass?

Deathfish15:

Personally, I would say "Left 4 Dead 2"...

KOMega:
I don't know....
Cross-eyed zombie pirate cyborg extendo-arm pistol-hand Hitler does sound crazy enough to work.

Hitler back from the grave, with a hatred for the purely organic. It could work.

Why would you bite into a cupcake covered in glass shards and pubes? Unless you were into that sort of thing...

spwatkins:

TiberiusEsuriens:

Thanks for the reminder! I just started reflexively trying to claw my eyeballs out again! (and I just got the bandages off from the last time)

Was it significantly worse than Nazis on the moon?
Iron Sky was one of the most ENJOYABLY BAD movies ever.

Thanks for this bit. It'll fit nicely into quite a few of the gaming threads we get here.

I posted on Twitter after the Dragon's Crown review blow-up that the "middle ground" seems to be gamer culture's Atlantis. I'm glad I'm not the only one that has noticed this.

DVS BSTrD:
That's sheer fantasy.

1) No way that Valve would send you anything other then a hat.
2) There was no teasing of a third cupcake

Although I do like the fact that Erin could see the glass shards and still bit into it

It was from Valve...she HAD to bite into it, even if it looked like a crapcake.

OT: I have no idea how it happened...but I ended up getting into not one but TWO conversations about Mass Effect 3 yesterday...think I must have slipped into a time nexus and fell backwards for about a year and a half. Anyways, those I was discussing the game with would do well to read this strip. Not because I want to change their minds about the game, but just for their own sanity. They're pretty much a fusion of the "Good Game" and "Bad Game" gamers: "CURSE THIS SHITTIEST OF GAMES! I WILL MURDER ANYONE WHO ENJOYED THIS!!!"

KOMega:
I don't know....

Nahh...

Mecha-Hitler however...

Bindal:

Deathfish15:

Whaaaaa? 2 was a technical improvement on 1 in almost every field. Yeah, I prefer the L4D1 characters, too, but come on, that doesn't make the whole game suck.

Sure, but this is pretty reductive. It's like saying, "All stories are either about leaving town, or a stranger coming to town." True as far as it goes, but doesn't do much for you.

It's a good start, that's for sure! Hopefully we'll be seeing something on angry gamers without any real cause. The sort who launch into a frenzy whenever they seen an opinion they don't like. I hate to say it but those people are often the ones supported in the first part. The ones who construct arguments. Not to say you shouldn't construct thoughtful arguments! You should! But some people kinda take it too far.

Gasbandit:

Bindal:

Deathfish15:

Whaaaaa? 2 was a technical improvement on 1 in almost every field. Yeah, I prefer the L4D1 characters, too, but come on, that doesn't make the whole game suck.

No, not only (but they are also one reason). But what makes the game suck are the bugs, the countless weaponspawns per map, the easy gameplay, the dumber AI, the nerfed Special Infected, the shorter maps, the overpowered melee-weapons, the bright and more colorful lightning, the unfair scoring in Versus, the horrible weapon-FoV and bad animations,...

I can count the actual improvements from the sequel at one hand:
1 - Scavenge Finales (not the seperate mode)
2 - Gauntlets
3 - Grenade Launcher

IceForce:

Absolutely. I think I lost it with the "..from Metacritic's heart, I stab at thee..!" part.

That's not fair to Gearbox. They also did a competent Halo port... ten years ago.

P.S. Thanks

Gasbandit:

Bindal:

Deathfish15:

Beside the characters, the level design was also awful. To be more specific: they reduced the gameplay to a run & gun style that was extremly exhausting and had exactly 0% horror in it.
I got tired of it quckly and then they made an half-##### attemp to port the L4D1 campaigns over.
I could forgive that they didnt make new voice overs for the new items and special infected, but weapons clipping through hands and the broken elevator dialog in No mercy campaign made L4D2 look even more rushed and unpolished.

Preaching to the choir, but necessary nonetheless. *grimface*

canadamus_prime:

But then again, that can be said about almost anyone. :)

GundamSentinel:
Preaching to the choir, but necessary nonetheless. *grimface*

canadamus_prime:

But then again, that can be said about almost anyone. :)

Well anyone on the Internet anyway.

This comic kinds of comes off like a direct dig at Yahtzee.

Oh boy! A new comic! Let me get my reading glasses.

Unfortunately, the whole Mass Effect 3 ending controversy taught me many a lessons along these lines. It was a good game 90% of the time (and most people won't refute that) but it's ending was *cough* controversial at best. Some hated it, bombed MetaCritic, and spammed anyone who even thought the ending was acceptable (ie not bad). At least they had some decent arguments but you don't need to ostracize others.

Dragon's Crown is just another in a long line of video games that have stirred the ire of a few gamers that then proceed to use opinions, not arguments, to not just attack the game but the gamers who play it.

Personally, no invested interest in Dragon's Crown or the talk around it. Not sure if I don't care or if I can't find a good position to hold onto. Either way...good strip.

While I dost not play games on ye olde console box, I must admit for me the character designs were a lavish cupcake filled with cream and topped with boobie shaped sprinkles.

I knowst what I like.

redknightalex:
Unfortunately, the whole Mass Effect 3 ending controversy taught me many a lessons along these lines. It was a good game 90% of the time (and most people won't refute that) but it's ending was *cough* controversial at best. Some hated it, bombed MetaCritic, and spammed anyone who even thought the ending was acceptable (ie not bad). At least they had some decent arguments but you don't need to ostracize others.

Dragon's Crown is just another in a long line of video games that have stirred the ire of a few gamers that then proceed to use opinions, not arguments, to not just attack the game but the gamers who play it.

Personally, no invested interest in Dragon's Crown or the talk around it. Not sure if I don't care or if I can't find a good position to hold onto. Either way...good strip.

Trying to use Dragon's Crown to defend Mass Effect 3? That is a stretch.

I will agree that there are a lot of idiots on the internet who want to cast aspersions on you for liking what they don't like. I am sure that was true of ME3 as well.

Covarr:
That's not fair to Gearbox. They also did a competent Halo port... ten years ago.

P.S. Thanks

Yeah, it's not all bad. They also did HL: Opposing Force, which I found quite enjoyable... though that was what, fourteen years ago?

Whispering Cynic:

Covarr:

P.S. Thanks

Yeah, it's not all bad. They also did HL: Opposing Force, which I found quite enjoyable... though that was what, fourteen years ago?

To be fair, if they had fucked that up Randy Pitchford would probably still be chained up in the Valve dungeon.

I hope that wasn't the end. There's still so much left to be learned :D

Whispering Cynic:

Covarr:

P.S. Thanks

And the Brothers in Arms series. Also they did Blue Shift as well.

If only it was called Bopposing Force. We could say they can only make good games that start with the letter 'B'.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here