Zero Punctuation: Rise of the Triad

Pages PREV 1 2

With the absence of actual Triads, it should be re-named Rise of the Silly Quake.

Nice review, got a few laughs out of it, and it seemed to put me in a trance, I hadn't even noticed 3 minutes passing I was enjoying it too much.

Wonder what this August's Retro Review will be (maybe Killer 7? Silent Hill 3? Crackdown seeing as it's the Xbox 360 free game of August).

Also seeing as the new gen keeps coming up in the videos, I wonder if they'll be a "Top 5 of Seventh Generation" video.

I had a feeling he would like it. While the game has it's share of optimization issues, the developers are working hard on fixing those up. I beat it a few days ago and I can easily say it's the most fun I've had in a very long time. It's insanely difficult, but the fun kind of difficult.

Plus, Dog Mode is potentially the greatest thing to ever happen in the history of video games.

Does anybody else suspect that Yahtzee might be taking the piss?

Advancedcaveman:
I don't understand the problem people have with first person platforming. Why do you need to see your feet?

I don't have a problem with first-person platforming specifically. I have a problem with all kinds of platforming in general, as it seems like a silly and lazy game mechanic. I mean, when would the situation ever come up that you'd have to jump across a series of strategically placed platforms? It just seems kind of dumb.

Complains about easiness in games. Doesn't review Dark Souls and Demon's souls properly.

Darth_Payn:
If Kickstarter hasn't made "Shut up and take my money!" their official, on-their-business-cards motto, they should. I can't remember much hard-as-balls platform jumping sections from the old, sprite-filled, pre-Quake FPS's, (but I do remember the DOOM's not having a jump button), so I can't relate to that, but this was still a hilarious video. But it did raise one question: what was Shadowrun about, and when did they remake it?

Shadowrun is a RPG world like D&D(right down to the trolls and orcs), but in the future where you can get implant weapons and such(like chainsaw arms or wolverine claws).-so it could be about anything

and they remade it about a month ago it's $20 on steam, think balder's gate but in a future city

Was it just me or did Yahtzee's voice fade out a couple of times?

I know with seemingly every video he does recently, there's always one or two people in the thread who declare it exceptionally hilarious compared to his usual content (to which I've never been inclined to agree); although in this case for me, this was a particularly good video with many call-outs/references that had me pausing & replaying, and reasons to watch the video after the verdict on the game matters in any sense.

I'd say the particular highlight was the content in relation to casual/hardcore.

Old school hardcore gaming has definitely been under-catered this gen; leaving a number of long-term gamers quietly pining like a bunch of S&M gimps without dominant partners.

Agent357:
See, as some of Yahtzee's reviews go, I can't walk away from this knowing whether that was an overall recommendation, or a "stay away while I kill it with fire". To add to that, isn't one of the biggest sections of RotT the multiplayer? I'd like to know a little more what he thinks of that. Until then, RotT will remain in limbo, neither being bought nor being removed from my Steam wishlist.

Weren't you listening? 1 Star because the little doggy doesn't raise its doggy paw when pressing buttons. :P

Kidding aside, it seems like he enjoyed it. Not "happy" enjoyed it, mind you, but "I hate this fucking game I must finish it now wooo take that game suck it" enjoyed it. And you know, that's normal for a 90's FPS. They were never relaxing traipses through the meadow, they were frantic running around and circle strafing and death jumps for pickups.

As for multiplayer: you already know that he avoids those when he can, right? You don't go to Yahtzee for compliments and multiplayer, you go to him for dick jokes and crucified games.

This is a pretty fun game. It's a shame that it's so buggy, but hopefully they'll patch that up in the future. Other than that, I think the game has managed to capture at least some of the magic from the good old days.

The review neatly captured my thoughts about this game. The nostalgia trip is great (RotT was one of my favorite games back in the day) and I love how tongue-in-cheek the game is, you can really tell the developers had fun making it and that improved my enjoyment as well.

That said, the platform jumping sequences suck ass. Especially because in some of them the checkpoint is like 5 minutes in the past. The boss fights could have been a bit more difficult, the first one was the hardest and it actually took several tries just to figure out what the heck I was supposed to be shooting at, the rest were really easy. The enemy AI is rather slapdash, sometimes they don't aggro when you're in clear sight of them, sometimes they'll be coming at you from the other end of the map. And yeah, trying to figure out where the hell they're shooting from is annoying and flow-breaking sometimes, makes you wish more enemies had bazookas or something else with visible projectiles.

Another thing I hated was how obtuse the secrets are. In the original you could spot them with some diligence from odd shadows and slightly off-color walls, in the remake you pretty much have to spam the use key on every square inch of wall and jump into every deadly pit a few times and you still won't find all of them. The 'tells' are completely indistinguishable from the level design.

Besides the doggie paws, they also missed the gas rooms.

However, I had fun with it and all in all, it was well worth the 14 € I paid for it on Steam.

Hairy witch cauldrons.

Brilliant. I'm still laughing like crazy. The casual vs hardcore comparison rocked too.

It's been awhile since I really enjoyed a ZP, frankly I think I just watch them out of habit now. But this one was really well done and made me laugh a few times!

I may actually go get this game.

romxxii:

Agent357:
See, as some of Yahtzee's reviews go, I can't walk away from this knowing whether that was an overall recommendation, or a "stay away while I kill it with fire". To add to that, isn't one of the biggest sections of RotT the multiplayer? I'd like to know a little more what he thinks of that. Until then, RotT will remain in limbo, neither being bought nor being removed from my Steam wishlist.

Weren't you listening? 1 Star because the little doggy doesn't raise its doggy paw when pressing buttons. :P

Kidding aside, it seems like he enjoyed it. Not "happy" enjoyed it, mind you, but "I hate this fucking game I must finish it now wooo take that game suck it" enjoyed it. And you know, that's normal for a 90's FPS. They were never relaxing traipses through the meadow, they were frantic running around and circle strafing and death jumps for pickups.

As for multiplayer: you already know that he avoids those when he can, right? You don't go to Yahtzee for compliments and multiplayer, you go to him for dick jokes and crucified games.

Lol I know. The thing is, this new version is supposed to be extremely multiplayer-oriented, and for a game that's built mainly for multiplayer, I just don't think it's fair to judge it ONLY on the single player portion (Though that's obviously important).

CAPTCHA: Make Every Day Like Sunday
I sure wish I could, CAPTCHA. I sure wish I could.

Duo Oratar:

Agent357:

Yahtzee doesn't really do multiplayer, except occasionally when it's co-op and he has to (i.e. Borderlands).

I know it dude (Or dude-ette. I don't know you :P ), but like I said, RotT is very much oriented around the multiplayer, and while the single player portion is obviously very important, I don't think it's fair to review a multiplayer game solely on the single player.

CAPTCHA: This is Our Game

It really depends on what you're talking about. While I don't yet own Rise of the Triad and Fantasy Football DEFINITELY isn't my game, I do love watching American football.

Fun Fact: The classic version of this game was originally to be Wolfenstein 2: Rise of the Triad. The reasons why it changed have since been lost to time... because I can't be arsed to look it up.

"Angry gets shit done"
BEN "YAHTZEE" CROSHAW
now that is a quote i will use

Methodical-Vigilante:
Complains about easiness in games. Doesn't review Dark Souls and Demon's souls properly.

I think you missed his point. The point was not to complain about games being easy (he specifically says that's fine either way if it's what you want), but to complain about games that pretend to be hardcore and then walk you by the hand through everything.

Yahtzee has a strange notion of how Texans live. I don't assume his house is filled with tea saucers and kangaroos, but I guess that's a one way street. Jokes aside, still love the series man, never stop doing what you're doing.

Also, yea, vanity plates are so distasteful.

Kaigen:

Methodical-Vigilante:

I think you missed his point. The point was not to complain about games being easy (he specifically says that's fine either way if it's what you want), but to complain about games that pretend to be hardcore and then walk you by the hand through everything.

Exactly, I still recall dying to tower knight in Demon's and the game taking me by the hand and us floating like angels over the bridge with the archers and the blue eyed knight. That was pure romance!

Same with flamelurker, where a little bunny rabbit showed up and showed me the way down the deep deep well. I named him Mr Bunns!

joest01:

Kaigen:

Methodical-Vigilante:

Exactly, I still recall dying to tower knight in Demon's and the game taking me by the hand and us floating like angels over the bridge with the archers and the blue eyed knight. That was pure romance!

Same with flamelurker, where a little bunny rabbit showed up and showed me the way down the deep deep well. I named him Mr Bunns!

Wow Dark Souls is an odd game. Is there a reason for your sarcasm?

kenu12345:

joest01:

Kaigen:

Wow Dark Souls is an odd game. Is there a reason for your sarcasm?

Many. Above all I was overweight as a child!

rembrandtqeinstein:
Bubbling gonads as angry witch cauldrons made me spit out my coffee.

I hereby declare this video hilarious.

The associated imagery reminded me of 'Meg & Mog' and simultaneously made my day and destroyed my childhood.

DanHibiki:
You know what does have Triads in it? Shadow Warrior.

You know who hasn't played Shadow Warrior? Oscar.

OT: So, we can play as a dog via power up, but there is no paw?!

jesus christ, some odder get on the job and put it in!

While they are at it, make a dog melee attack that uses the paws ala Dukes Mighty Boot.

Amarsir:
ROTT had a campaign? I played that game plenty, and have zero recollection of a single-player mode.

I only had the one computer, so the serial link/LAN modes were of no use to me. Had lots of fun punching in cheats and making bad guy mush, though.

I can really tell when Yahtzee's really enjoyed a game when my atrophied face muscles ache from laughter by the end of the video ^^~♥

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here