Jim & Yahtzee's Rhymedown Spectacular: Cyclical

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Cyclical

Put on your poetry hats and join two of the greatest wordsmiths of our generation as they fill your ears with verse.

Watch Video

That was... something.

Also, I imagine this would get more views if it actually made it into the scroll at the top...

When DID you post this?

I've had that problem of "reading books" in Open World games, but now I'm glad I never moved my relationship with Sonic beyond more then a one night stand.

Jim, your relationships with game characters are a tad disturbing.

Jim's poem was genius. :D

canadamus_prime:

and confusing. Is Sonic the one Mario was doing that led to Jim killing the plumber?

Does David Boreanas know?

Have they ever doubled with Ben and Slender Man?

Reeve:
Jim's poem was genius. :D

there's a fine line between madness and genius....

...Jim teabagged it.

Zachary Amaranth:

canadamus_prime:

and confusing. Is Sonic the one Mario was doing that led to Jim killing the plumber?.

Couldn't be 'cause if Jim is cheating on Sonic with Knuckles he doesn't really have the right to go after Mario.

I laughed out loud more than once during Yahtzee's thing. Jim just had me sitting there bored and repeating "I GET IT, IT'S ABOUT SONIC" over and over.

Sorry, Jim. I just don't like your poems.

Twenty Ninjas:
I laughed out loud more than once during Yahtzee's thing. Jim just had me sitting there bored and repeating "I GET IT, IT'S ABOUT SONIC" over and over.

Sorry I bored you.

canadamus_prime:

Zachary Amaranth:

canadamus_prime:

and confusing. Is Sonic the one Mario was doing that led to Jim killing the plumber?.

Couldn't be 'cause if Jim is cheating on Sonic with Knuckles he doesn't really have the right to go after Mario.

Love (and lust) is often irrational. It's not uncommon for one unfaithful person to be mad at their unfaithful partner for their unfaithful acts.

I'm not sure if Yahtzee was making fun of our fascination with open world, or of libertarianism.

Oh, and Jim, I, for one, really love your poetry!

Zachary Amaranth:

canadamus_prime:

Zachary Amaranth:

Love (and lust) is often irrational. It's not uncommon for one unfaithful person to be mad at their unfaithful partner for their unfaithful acts.

Really? Well in that case maybe Sonic was the one Mario was doing that caused Jim to kill him. Man that's a disturbing thought.

Jimothy Sterling:

Sorry I bored you.

It's okay, I still like Jimquisition.

Fuck me, why so depressing Jim?

canadamus_prime:

Zachary Amaranth:

canadamus_prime:

Really? Well in that case maybe Sonic was the one Mario was doing that caused Jim to kill him. Man that's a disturbing thought.

I think you two are forgetting something very important.

What about Miltank?

WHich game was Yahtzee making fun of here? I was a little confused about it.

...huh, so Jim's was about Sonic, then.
I thought it had something to do with... iono, large game companies, publishers, or something along those lines, and how things have changed over the past decade(s) or so. I think the poem would fit that theme quite easily as well.

To be fair, I'm not particularly familiar with Sonic (I know a bit, on a very superficial level, but never really got into 'em) to begin with(at this point I'm not entirely sure if Knuckles is a part of the Sonic franchise or of a competiting one - will look it up after this post, of course), so that would've flown over my head one way or another.

Many of Jim's poems fly over my head simply due to me not being particularly familiar with the IPs he's referring to, so that's to be expected.

Wow the pace of the your poem was perfect Jim. Great work as usual from both of you, keep it up as it is very refreshing =)

Jimothy Sterling:

Twenty Ninjas:

Sorry I bored you.

While I will say that this was one of your weaker entries (the flow and pace broke a couple times), I'd still say that over-all your works have been very enjoyable. Even the few that I might have found to be "less entertaining" have still been pretty enjoyable from a purely poetic standpoint.

I'll admit I was pretty excited when I figured out Jim's was about Sonic (probably way later than I'd like to admit, but before it got super obvious.)

Also, Sonic didn't really make the transition to 3D well, did he?

As for Croshaw, well said in brief. I prefer my stories with a bit of script to them. (Though the FFXIII was a bit much, I also enjoy turns and exploration. I don't know if you tried FFXIII-2, and I don't know why you would if you weren't a die hard fan like me. It swings the pendulum to super duper wibbly wobbly timey wimey unscripted order which just seems hugely out of place.)

I've watched all the Rhymedown's, and somehow I still got taken in by Jim's poem and was wondering if it was a genuine personal exposition. Please keep these coming both of you, I didn't know I enjoyed poetry until a topic that makes me smile started to be covered so well (games, not scary depressing love triangles, though the liking of one could lead to the other one day maybe?).

Just a thought, but are we building to an Escapist member submitted episode? There are a fair few creative souls in the forums!

Yaaaay, knuckles!!!
Good ones, both. Keep it up!

DarthBartus:
I'm not sure if Yahtzee was making fun of our fascination with open world, or of libertarianism.

Oh, and Jim, I, for one, really love your poetry!

Why not both? In Yahtzee's reviews of open-world games, he likes the unrestrained freedom they offer, but doesn't like side missions that take you away from the main story. But then again, Yahtzee doesn't hold a very high opinion of human nature.

Enjoyed them both this week. Although they were both kind of downers

Man, I really enjoyed Jim's work this week. Very good.

I'm convinced there's more to these poems then I can tell. There's the first layer: a love triangle with sonic and knuckles. Then the meta message, about Sonic games sucking but no one willing to admit it. There MUST be a third, greater layer on top of this. Like Inception, a message about a message within a message. Something more than just poems about video games...

Nice work, I particularly loved the rather glum poem about Sonic. Now to play a non-Sonic game.

Irridium:

canadamus_prime:

Zachary Amaranth:

I think you two are forgetting something very important.

What about Miltank?

I hadn't forgotten, I was repressing. There's a difference.

I normally consider Yahtzee the better poet but Jim was better this episode. His poem was also slightly disturbing.

As usual I liked Yahtzee's much more. Except for the first few, Jim's parts are coarse and no fun. His lines and especially his delivery is irritative. Jimquisition, I like...

Hell am i the only one who likes jim's stuff?.... i didn't figure out it was sonic until the fast comment a few minutes in... also drawing a parallel between the aging franchise to that of a failing marriage is creative, in my opinion. Frankly, i like Jim's stuff because it's different every time, with different tones and intentions.

I always knew Knuckles was getting some tail on the side. I'm sorry that was terrible, but the poems were pretty awesome this week. Keep it up guys.

Jimothy Sterling:

Sorry I bored you.

Aww Jim, don't be sad.

Yahtzees poems are captivating and genius but fairly flat. Yours are more dynamic and unfurl over time. Both are great, the second will always have elements of 'boring' but with a bigger pay-off. Keep it up :)

And hey, Mogworld was great, but Jam was fairly meh. The master isn't infallible :p

Honestly, I stopped trying to make sense of Sonic as soon as the Dreamcast hit. Sure, I played Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2, but by that point the writing was not just on the wall, but well lit, bold faced, and transcribed into multiple languages. After that? ...

I know how Yahtzee always laments that Mario and the Zelda series never tries anything different, but they'd probably just point to Sonic and say, "Different? Oh, you different like that? Is that what you want, you psychotic sack of loon berries?"

... I miss the Old Sonic.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or