Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

I have mixed feelings about this...

On one hand I'm perfectly happy with 2 guys making fun of crappy dialogue in cutscenes, and the jokes in this one worked fine for me, I laughed. The formula worked fine in the lost planet entry, but this incredibly preachy, terribly written and acted out cutscene just killed it. There's no shortage of ridiculousness to make fun of here, but the whole scene just takes forever and left me with a feeling of "ugh".

Nevertheless, keep it up guys! I'm expecting the next movie will move a bit faster. If you're a fanboy this game you may interpret that as "I hope the next one has more violence and tits, and that Bernie is in it".

"No that would be stupid"
XD
Oh Christ I couldn't stop laughing.

Amazing. I thought it was going to be a college humor ha-ha light laughter you don't really recommend to anyone but it blew away my expectations and found myself near-pissing my pants with laughter

Elminsters Hat:
I have mixed feelings about this...

On one hand I'm perfectly happy with 2 guys making fun of crappy dialogue in cutscenes, and the jokes in this one worked fine for me, I laughed. The formula worked fine in the lost planet entry, but this incredibly preachy, terribly written and acted out cutscene just killed it. There's no shortage of ridiculousness to make fun of here, but the whole scene just takes forever and left me with a feeling of "ugh".

Nevertheless, keep it up guys! I'm expecting the next movie will move a bit faster. If you're a fanboy this game you may interpret that as "I hope the next one has more violence and tits, and that Bernie is in it".

hey, Burnie is awesome, no one can surround an Akrid like him.

Fabulous work, guys! Just like your Lost Planet video, this one had me in stitches!

Your work reminded me of a time when we would invite friends at our place to check out a game over pizza and proceed to have a great time poking fun at it (regardless of whether we liked it or not - a win-win situation). Those were times when people took games (and consoles) less seriously, thank you for bringing that feeling back!

You two have real talent and I'm very happy that we'll get to see more of it.

Hmmm...what to say...

I'm old school enough to remember MST3K, so I can understand where you're going with this. And it's not that this was bad work. Far from it. There were some good chuckles to be had, which is more than I can say for most comedy these days. It's just...well...

Comparatively speaking, it's like when MST3K moved to the SciFi Channel. Sure, the same basic formula was there, and it could still make you laugh. But there was just something off about the presentation. It wasn't quite right. And that's the way I feel about this. It's not bad. I just think more could be done with the premise. And the worst part is, I can't quite put my finger on what's missing here.

Still, there's only been two episodes so fer. Plenty of time yet to see how this develops. And I most certainly will be watching.

Thank god for "Mystery Science Theater 3000 Video Game edition" Keep em coming!!!

Psychochef:
Hmmm...what to say...

I'm old school enough to remember MST3K, so I can understand where you're going with this. And it's not that this was bad work. Far from it. There were some good chuckles to be had, which is more than I can say for most comedy these days. It's just...well...

Comparatively speaking, it's like when MST3K moved to the SciFi Channel. Sure, the same basic formula was there, and it could still make you laugh. But there was just something off about the presentation. It wasn't quite right. And that's the way I feel about this. It's not bad. I just think more could be done with the premise. And the worst part is, I can't quite put my finger on what's missing here.

I think you could just as easily compare it to MST3K at the beginning. The jokes didn't quite click at first either.

But I love it. Some jokes really made me laugh, some didn't, but I enjoy anything that points out the flaws/ridiculousness of a game.

My favorite joke was:
"Menudo? I thought that was a little town in a horribly paced game!"
because as much potential as I thought Eternal Sonata had, the cutscenes killed it.

Anyway, keep it up.

Honestly funny. Like a Mystery Sience theatre 3000 for games. Truly, you are Gods among men... well, Kings... Dukes?... Mayors... Pizza delivery guys who get you the food while it's still warm?... everyone good with that one? Cool. Anywho, I'm surprised it was funny since most of the videos (say, all but ZP and UR) suck and are completly unfunny. Weird how that is. So, even though I like you, I'd like to take the oppertunity to say goodbye now because funny shows are rarly welcomed onto the escapist, or neutered like the newest season of UR is.

Best of luck to you gentlemen!

"That's it? Still pretty short but...AUGH!!!!"
"No, that's stupid! God, you're dumb."
"Hail Hitler!"

Rogue 09:
Honestly funny. Like a Mystery Sience theatre 3000 for games. Truly, you are Gods among men... well, Kings... Dukes?... Mayors... Pizza delivery guys who get you the food while it's still warm?... everyone good with that one? Cool. Anywho, I'm surprised it was funny since most of the videos (say, all but ZP and UR) suck and are completly unfunny. Weird how that is. So, even though I like you, I'd like to take the oppertunity to say goodbye now because funny shows are rarly welcomed onto the escapist, or neutered like the newest season of UR is.

HEY! ZP is hilarious. As for UR, i'm still a supporter, but it was funny before the animation was good and *insert site name here* butt raped it.

pretty funny

Teachingaddict:
Am I the only one that loved this game, hell its one of the only jRPG's I have ever completed, the artwork is stunning, the storyline beautiful (if given a chance) and a very poignant one at that. Gameplay is very good, and quite a challenge as well.

But a nine...minute...intro! I can hardly stand Viewtiful Joe's, and that's only like 1:30!

do puddles make waves when the moon comes out too
no thats stupid god your dumb
hehe lol

I do like the idea of taking the piss out of cutscenes, especially those as stupidly long as the one from the video. And it made me laugh, however, I'm not sure they deserve an internet TV show for doing what I'm pretty sure every resident of the Escapist forums could have done just as well.

sneakypenguin:
Ahhhh I love these.
Gah I'm glad I don't play JRpgs if that kinda crap is whats in them.

Not to worry, this is about the worst it gets.

In fact, I think this is the worst. No "about" here.

Personally i found most jokes a bit predictable and stale. But its possible it has alot to do with the quality of the dubbing. With the "added" dub parts falling so out of place... i dunno

I guess i`ll wait it out for another one and decide if i really like it or not :p

Great vid guys ofc if you ever need more material use the end video which is an hour frickin long! But a strong premier, i was expecting slayer to come in after that for a couple of seconds maybe you didnt have the rights to it, oh yeah keep the odd random stuff in too and this will make a great series.

"And then Kratos cast himself from the highest cliff in Greece" I laughed my ass off at that part. Kudos guys. Keep up the awesome work.

Enjoy our flying petals!

LOL excellent stuff guys

scatmanfan:

Rogue 09:

HEY! ZP is hilarious. As for UR, i'm still a supporter, but it was funny before the animation was good and *insert site name here* butt raped it.

That's what I was trying to say. Go Yahtzee and Rob! Boo De-bagz!

This was great, lots of laughs and hilarious. I love this and hope more come out in frequency, this is a good idea for a show !

This. Is better. Then ZP.

*Ahem* 'CHEEP CHEEP'
Funny, loved it.
'Visit scenic Tenuto...enjoy our flying petals.'
TeeHee.

Yay! Fun times ^_^

I haven't laughed so hard since MST3K. Can't wait for more :D

Interesting, from all the people that were quoted on these 8 pages it seems like there is a lopsided standpoint on who is the favourite voice actor of the pair. Almost all the quotes that gave laughs were from the more dry humorist.

Maybe some drama around the office for that? :P

Wow, absolutely great vid, haven't laughed so much in ages, can't wait to see more "Jump! Jump! Jump!" had me in stitches.

Very funny! Will definately watch out for Unskippable! :D

I'm going to with hold final judgment on this series until i can see it mature a bit more. IT definitely evokes fond memories of MST3K as other have already cited, but I do feel that the pacing was a bit off. In MST3K, they do a good job of only showing parts of the movie and keeping the comments snappy and flowing. I'm hoping that we can see that concept used more in upcoming episodes. I realize that part of the fun is showing these insufferably long cut scenes, but I still think the effect could be sustained with a little editing to keep the audience from sitting through segments of just the cut scene and no witty banter.
Overall it was enjoyable, though I would ask our video editor in chief to rotate the advertisements at the end of the videos.

I laughed so hard at times. This second video was pretty excellent in my opinion. I found it more funny than the one about Lost Planet. Besides, I think it's good because the variety in the jokes make that appealing to everyone : the most funny parts of the thing for me were not what other people liked.

Anyway. I liked the pacing as the cutscene itself was quite hilarious with its already ridiculous dialogs. But, well, maybe you should speed things up a little bit for people who like it that way...

"So one of the best things they can say about this place is that it's near a better town?"

omg i couldn't breathe!!! keep em coming!

"Jump, jump! Aww..."

I watched this after watching ZP and laughed more here... PLEASE MAKE MORE. It's like MST3K, a bit, and that makes my heart happy.

Definitely going to be one of the next big series on the site =D keep up the great work~

jeremyTH:
This. Is better. Then ZP.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook