Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

I love the MST3K vibe this show has.

Hope they do more, but I wonder where they can get truly terrible cutscenes to riff at.

I really like this series so far.

I applaud you, gentlemen. I love sitting down with a friend and playing/watch them play a game just so we can make our own commentary on the game, just for fun. I love the fact that you guys won a competition for recording such commentary.

I'm definitely looking forward to the next one. Cheers!

Edit: Oh, an afterthought: if I may, might I suggest you guys do one for one of the scenes from Metal Gear Solid 4?

No, wait, scratch that. The episode would be a half-hour long.

Mixing Mystery Science Theater 3000 with crappy game cut scenes with hilarious results. Nice job Guys.

Finally, something besides Zero Punctuation that's actually funny! It's like an MST3K for video games! Brilliant!

"For those playing at home the mystery is a sex offender moved into town."

I laughed so hard at that one. The video was amazing.

I have to ask, is all this improv or was it a written script?

Pretty damn good for a magnum opus I'd say.

This was amazing, simply amazing. When I was still trying to play Eternal Sonata, I did this too, though not as funny as this.
I mean, you have to do SOMETHING during the extremely slow and boring cut scenes.

great I think I never laugh so much to a movie before keep it up!

I thought that the video was genious. The commentary was hilarious, one of my favorites being 'Hello there. I'm the narrator and I just took a fistful of Valium. Aw yeah.'

When I saw the ad at the end of ZP for this I thought it was the worst thing I had ever seen. The only reason I kept watching was to see if there was a point to the whole damn thing, there wasn't.

Then I heard that the second episode was better - so I dragged myself over to watch it. Indeed it had something going for it.

So I watched Eternal Sonata and I have to say that the ad didn't do it justice. I still don't particularly like the series. As someone mentioned above there is a thing called timing that makes comedy so much better. Jokes without timing fall flat like most of this video.

Also, I suppose another one of my complaints is a lack of intelligence. The Kratos joke was funny, I actually laughed out loud. But a lot of the other dialogue such as 'mommy's drunk' just didn't do it. Maybe that's why I like ZP - he doesn't talk down to the audience because he's smart, Ben even rags on himself for being smart, but it makes the series. If he wasn't there would be no ZP. I don't always agree with his final opinions and some of his shows are funnier then others of course, but in the end they all succeed.

To me this series has what many would call 'low brow humor' which has a place and can be hillarious at times. But if it's overused, especially when it feels like it's just melted on instead timed with what's happening, it fails. I believe a lot of people like this because we just don't have anything else, which is depressing in and of itself.

If you play WOW or have ever played it or watched a friend, a good example of 'low brow humor' with other elements mixed in would be "Flintlocke's Guide to Azeroth' over on game spy. You can find it here:

http://pc.gamespy.com/flintlockes-guide-to-azeroth/introduction/897826p1.html

It's a comice strip and of course some are funnier then others but in the end it's memorable. It survived for years on word of mouth alone, no fancy ads and the series has just been rereleased and a new series has been started. It's been running for almost 3 years by the way.

I don't see Unskippable being memorable, instead merely being a vehicle to pass the time with. It is not a ground breaking idea but with the right people and right skills it could be a long running and memorable event. How long has it been since MST3K ran? Yet people still remember. I don't see this seires being talked about 6 months after it stops running, only living on as a distant memory crowded out and almost entirely forgotten.

Syphonz:

Dele:

Cousin_IT:
couldnt do it. Couldnt sit through it all. I tried, but just couldnt. Boring & slow overdub to a boring & slow cutscene

Seconded

THIRD!

But I won't lie, Unskippable HAS potential to be good. A huge part of why this is pretty boring is that it's nothing but constant one liners with numerous seconds between each joke. If they they could actually keep a decent pace in the jokes, make it a little more than just one liners, and possibly try to improve on some emphasis in your voices so they're not so mono-tone 90% of the time, there is something to this.

To be brutally honest, I think me and my friend's could do a better job. Any one can just take a really long cutscene from a game and sit there waiting for an oppertune moment to make a one-line call. I'm not exactly sure how so many people can be "falling off my chair laughing" to this show, I could only make to the second narrator joke before I turned it off to write this comment.

I had a hard time sitting through this myself though I did make it all the way through without really wanting to turn it off. The cut scene itself is so damn slow with all those flowers and pointless descriptions that I can see where it's hard to find good jokes.

Also, in fairness to the guys, I do agree with them that the scenes themselves need to play out. If they were constantly talking it wouldn't do a thing for any of us. This is why I liked the second one, they talked but also allowed the characters to talk so that we got the full effect. It's a hard balance and this cut scene may not have been the best to start the series off with - especially since the original scene is so damn boring. Makes me want to start hating flowers after sitting through that mess.

I only saw the clip after Zero Punctuation, and it didn't seem too funny.
By the clip that was after Zero Punctuation, I'd say that this isn't something I'll be waiting for every week.
Gonna watch the full episode soon though to see if the rest of the show is better, or worse.

Another video series that I will watch on this site from now on. Great video, a brilliant comedy lines. Looking forward to watching more videos from both of you.

I honestly could not stop laughing.

Great, I'll be quoting Captain Planet again, thanks to you guys!

All in all, very good. A little slow, but still.

My God... even though the art style doesn't appeal to me, if (and thats a big IF) I were to play it, that start would deter me from watching the rest, it is baddly paced and I assure you I've seen slow paced yet still interesting cinematics.

GO PLANET!

This shit doesn't play for me.

i love this new series

Although I truly loved Eternal Sonata, I could never pay attention during the tedious town description of that cutscene. But this was hilarious! Great job at turning an unbearable cutscene into a form of comedy gold.

"And so Kratos cast himself from the highest mountain in Greece."
(Laughs)

"No! Because that's stupid. God! You're dumb."

The jokes are great, and they are the only reason why I can sit through that horrible intro over and over. That must've been painful for you both having to watch this over and over again, trying to come up with jokes for it.

Love the whole thing XD Pretty clever stuff in there.
"And so, cratos cast himself from the highest mountain in greece" keep it up UNSKIPPABLE

Errrm problem, be careful when you say "mono-tonal" because it doesn't just mean "one tone." Anyway, the idea of the narrator is to be in the background, not taking the huge scene, I think they have their voices edited in it perfectly and created a nice feel to video. Further more they can't change the pace of the jokes as the pace of the cut scene is constant. UN-SKIPPABLE found an issue in games, made it funny and cast it out into the dark judging cruel world of the internet, let the series get somewhere before you evaluate it's worth.

*oops, the internet sent another comment, sorry*

Syphonz:

Dele:

Cousin_IT:
couldnt do it. Couldnt sit through it all. I tried, but just couldnt. Boring & slow overdub to a boring & slow cutscene

Seconded

THIRD!

But I won't lie, Unskippable HAS potential to be good. A huge part of why this is pretty boring is that it's nothing but constant one liners with numerous seconds between each joke. If they they could actually keep a decent pace in the jokes, make it a little more than just one liners, and possibly try to improve on some emphasis in your voices so they're not so mono-tone 90% of the time, there is something to this.

To be brutally honest, I think me and my friend's could do a better job. Any one can just take a really long cutscene from a game and sit there waiting for an oppertune moment to make a one-line call. I'm not exactly sure how so many people can be "falling off my chair laughing" to this show, I could only make to the second narrator joke before I turned it off to write this comment.

^^^^^^^^^ - This applies tooooo.. pretty much all of the above.

Errrm problem, be careful when you say "mono-tonal" because it doesn't just mean "one tone." Anyway, the idea of the narrator is to be in the background, not taking the huge scene, I think they have their voices edited in it perfectly and created a nice feel to video. Further more they can't change the pace of the jokes as the pace of the cut scene is constant. UN-SKIPPABLE found an issue in games, made it funny and cast it out into the dark judging cruel world of the internet, let the series get somewhere before you evaluate it's worth.

Wow! I would love to see them do Devil May Cry!

Wave on wave violence has got to stop, man. Ahahaha.

Hilarious!

Boring

Holy shit. That had to have been one of the most tedious and boring intro cutscenes ever. Thank you for mocking it.

That game had some really great movies in it and I liked the voice acting most of the time.

Pure win...I don't know if I could have watched that without the dubbing making it worth it!

Ahaha.
I love this one.
Love the MST3K feel about it!

*Ahem* Cheep cheep!

Or...
Goooooo PLANET!!!

6:50 to 7:03 is made me rotfl

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or