No Right Answer: Scariest Mother-F#*ker Ever

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Scariest Mother-F#*ker Ever

There are actors that pretend to be scary, and there are actors that might kill you. Chris and Kyle try to determine who will stand laughing over their graves.

Watch Video

The scariest Mother F#*ker ever was was Darth Vader
"No Luke, I am your father."

Lithgow all the way and I got two word that back it up...

Raising Cain!

SPOILERS

the trinity killer was a man who was clearly psychotic, though methodical in his planning and excecution. he has had many victims, but to them and in that aspect he is merely a deranged psychopath. that is scary, but that is a dime in a dozen. the real scary aspect is his cover identity as a father and a man of faith, that he keeps hold of with an iron grip, terrorizing his own family he apparently has no feelings for in the process.
But at the end of the day, that too is attributed to his ASPD - pyschopath persona and the majority of us can perhaps not relate to that, as we do not find that part within ourselves.

walter white on the other hand, may indeed develop lower treshholds for violence and even be sometimes expressively cruel but he is at the same time loving and (havent seen all the seasons) persuing an alturistic goal.
walter white is therefore, to me at least, much more relateable. i could very much imagine myself doing some of the things he does when put into similar extreme circumstances. emphasizing with him leaves you with a different kind of "scary", because you can very much relate to the "monster", as it is perfectly sane and seems to have perfectly good reasons from time to time. unlike trinity who is pretty much always ethicaly and moraly wrong when he is cruel, violent and terrorizin, walter white is not. i guess that is what makes his form of "scary" so much more appealing

/Spoilers

In this case I would go with Lithgow.
The scariest fucker for me is Hans Landa from Inglorious Basterds. Every character seemed to be unsettled by his presence.

Ricochet sealed it for me with John Lithgow. He starts off as a petty thief, gets shot in the leg, goes to prison. He fixes his own leg in the most painful way possible, kills a white supremacist, kills his wardens, breaks out. Then he visits the house of the cop that shot him, acting like the nicest guy you'll ever meet, fixes their electricity (after he sabotaged it of course). He continues on this mission to slowly drive this cop insane, killing and torturing people left and right. It is an awesome revenge movie in the vein of so many 90s action flicks that would come after.

I was gonna mention Raising Cain. There's also another Brian De Palma film he's in called Blow Out. Another villainous performance.

Balkan:
In this case I would go with Lithgow.
The scariest fucker for me is Hans Landa from Inglorious Basterds. Every character seemed to be unsettled by his presence.

Hans Landa is scary, but Christoph Waltz is not. Have you seen Carnage? He's a good enough actor to be able to turn on and off the scary as needed and make it seem like it was never there. On the other hand, I can no longer look at Lithgow without seeing him naked in a bathtub, blood everywhere.

OT: Morgan Freeman. His voice is so smooth and his delivery so charming you forget that 60% of his roles are "evil mastermind controlling people through his voice." If anyone's running a secret Illuminati group controlling the world, my money's on Freeman.

This is perhaps my favorite episode of No Right Answer. My wife and I, both big fans of 3rd Rock from the Sun, Malcom in the Middle, Dexter, and Breaking Bad. We've had this discussion about both of these exact actors and this exact scenario.

I will point out though, that I no longer believe Walt is the "hero" of the show. There was some time where it's easy enough to root for him but something somewhere along the way changed and either he is now the villain or he is both villain and hero with a split personality (1 part Walt/1 part Heisenberg). Hank, Jesse, these are the people to root for in many more ways.

Rakschas:
SPOILER

the trinity killer was a man who was clearly psychotic, though methodical in his planning and excecution. he has had many victims, but to them and in that aspect he is merely a deranged psychopath. that is scary, but that is a dime in a dozen. the real scary aspect is his cover identity as a father and a man of faith, that he keeps hold of with an iron grip, terrorizing his own family he apparently has no feelings for in the process.
But at the end of the day, that too is attributed to his ASPD - pyschopath persona and the majority of us can perhaps not relate to that, as we do not find that part within ourselves.

walter white on the other hand, may indeed develop lower treshholds for violence and even be sometimes expressively cruel but he is at the same time loving and (havent seen all the seasons) persuing an alturistic goal.
walter white is therefore, to me at least, much more relateable. i could very much imagine myself doing some of the things he does when put into similar extreme circumstances. emphasizing with him leaves you with a different kind of "scary", because you can very much relate to the "monster", as it is perfectly sane and seems to have perfectly good reasons from time to time. unlike trinity who is pretty much always ethicaly and moraly wrong when he is cruel, violent and terrorizin, walter white is not. i guess that is what makes his form of "scary" so much more appealing

/Spoiler

CONTINUING WITH RAKSCHAS'S SPOILERS ABOUT THE TWO CHARACTERS

But the real thing that takes away from Walter's scariness is that me as a person... I'll never come across him. I'm not in that type of life, I'm not in those circles. I will never be in it. Unless I'm wrong, he's a monster that takes care of monsters. We had an entire decade in the 90's celebrating that idea. I mean, and I'm surprised if there aren't any memes about it yet... but Walter is basically batman.

Horror happened to him, forced him to do things he wouldn't have done if life was better to him, turned to doing crime to get his way, turned to do brutal things to achieve his goal. Only difference is Walter kills a lot more than Batman (Batman killed freely in his early life)

Arthur Mitchell (The trinity killer) is random. An unknown agent. Considered a Myth by the FBI, an entity devoted to knowing things. He is so unknown that his nickname is even false, built on the few crumbs that Mitchell gives us. You can add another 30 deaths to his kill count just by being made aware of one fact that only Dexter found out.

Arthur Mitchell could be hunting me. He could be hunting you. He is the person you are unaware of, or somewhat pity or respect if you are aware of him. He's the man you feel like you need to help. He's the guy who blends into the background while you're looking for your real threats. He is what slips under your radar.

I know to avoid the drug life. I'm taught by everything and everyone possible to respect 'outstanding citizens' like Arthur Mitchell. And that could possibly kill me. Arthur wins because you don't even know that you trusted the man who decided to hunt you.

Weird thing, I literally just started season 4 of Dexter yesterday. I cannot get lithgow's first kill in the first episode out of my head. It creeped me the fuck out and it still does.

Walt isn't even the scariest guy in Breaking Bad. Gus and Mike were far more menacing just by being calm and professional about things.

And Lithgow wasn't even the scariest guy in Dexter. He's scarier than Walt in Breaking Bad, that much the debate got right. But I'd be far more concerned about running into a number of other Dexter bad guys rather than some old guy that kills in threes.

Yeah, I like Bryan Cranston way more then Lithgow. But Lithgow is inherently more terrifying. Cranston is potentially more dangerous and quite imposing when he needs to be, but Cranston's strength is in how unassuming he is. Lithgow doesn't sell the innocent looking guy very well. You look at him and you know he's got some creepy shit going on.

I'd up you both with Robert Blake.

He's the spooky actor in the above scene from Lost Highway, and is still serving time after brutally murdering his wife after a series of disturbingly hateful phone conversations (the transcripts have been released to public record). This was the last movie he acted in before he was found guilty of premediated murder.

ObsidianJones:

But the real thing that takes away from Walter's scariness is that me as a person... I'll never come across him. I'm not in that type of life, I'm not in those circles. I will never be in it. Unless I'm wrong, he's a monster that takes care of monsters. We had an entire decade in the 90's celebrating that idea. I mean, and I'm surprised if there aren't any memes about it yet... but Walter is basically batman.

Horror happened to him, forced him to do things he wouldn't have done if life was better to him, turned to doing crime to get his way, turned to do brutal things to achieve his goal. Only difference is Walter kills a lot more than Batman (Batman killed freely in his early life)

Arthur Mitchell (The trinity killer) is random. An unknown agent. Considered a Myth by the FBI, an entity devoted to knowing things. He is so unknown that his nickname is even false, built on the few crumbs that Mitchell gives us. You can add another 30 deaths to his kill count just by being made aware of one fact that only Dexter found out.

Arthur Mitchell could be hunting me. He could be hunting you. He is the person you are unaware of, or somewhat pity or respect if you are aware of him. He's the man you feel like you need to help. He's the guy who blends into the background while you're looking for your real threats. He is what slips under your radar.

I know to avoid the drug life. I'm taught by everything and everyone possible to respect 'outstanding citizens' like Arthur Mitchell. And that could possibly kill me. Arthur wins because you don't even know that you trusted the man who decided to hunt you.

random as trinitys attacks may appear, his victims fit a profile, his killings a habitual. if i knew he was a killer but didnt know his victims profile i would be freaked out that no body of water between him and me would seem big enough.

I would go as far and say that that man would put you off if you would spend a day in close company.
That is not to say any dangerous psychopath would, it just that he is a little obvious for the sake of the series audience. He displays strong characteristics of a type 1 psychopath, so strong in fact that most people wouldnt feel right about him.

in the context of the series he uses societies picture of a conservative church christian family as his cover to oppress and control and that is, in my opionion, the most scary part of him, as he is brilliant and in no way eratic about it, very much in contrast to his killings. here i say he shines, not treating his family as equals or even human but as part of the convenient cover, pretty much a skin he can shed any time the urge rushes to him.

it is not only a brilliant performance. the character and the parts of the season which involve him were very well writen and are one of the strongest of the dexter series.

When my girlfriend was in grad school, she had a phase where she watched tons of Stallone, because she needed stupid movies to counteract her academic work. We ended up buying a ton of Stallone movies, and then she graduated before we had watched them all, so we left a couple of them on our shelf unwatched.

Last month I was doing a pub quiz with friends, and we had a question asking us to name the movie released in 1993 that starred Stallone and John Lithgow. I said to my team, "Really? If I knew the two of them ever did a movie together, I would've watched that in an instant!" Afterwards they told us that the answer was Cliffhanger, and I was disappointed; that movie is one of the few sitting on our shelf unwatched, and we missed out on 3rd place (which gets a prize) by one point.

I need to go watch that movie...

I'd still go with Christopher Walken. He looks like a man who eats babies as casually as I eat Chee-tos.

I think the important thing we can all take away from this video is to go watch Cliffhanger, because it's a hilarious movie. Some of the best corny 90's action stuff you'll ever see. It's no Demolition Man mind you, but it's close!

ObsidianJones:

Rakschas:
SPOILER

/Spoiler

SPOILERS AHEAD FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T SEEN DEXTER SEASON FOUR AND ALL OF BREAKING BAD

Walter White is much scarier than Arthur Mitchell at the end of the day. While you may not run in the circles that Walt runs in that doesn't mean his damage stops at the edge of that circle. Walt bombed an old folks home to kill Gus, he was part of the group that killed a child who was just having a good time on his dirt bike when he happened across them, he's destroyed his family as he's become more power hungry, turned the cartel on his brother-in-law, nearly killed Brock in season four by poisoning him, and so much more.

Season one and two Walt would have stopped at the edge of that circle but the Walt we have now doesn't do that. If anything or anyone gets in his way of achieving his goals they are expendable and the collateral damage doesn't matter to him as long as he survives and his empire grows.

Yes Walt started off as the hero of the series but he became the villain over time. Breaking Bad shifted from following the underdog to following someone who continues to make the world a worse place around him. It's like the frog in a pot of water, if you put the frog into the water when it's already hot it will jump right out but if you put the frog in the pot and slowly bring it to a boil the frog will sit there and boil to death. We've been sitting in the pot of water since it was cold with Walt.

Arthur Mitchell on the other hand has always been a monster and a monster that fits a very specific role. He has an MO, there are boundaries he doesn't cross because it doesn't do anything for him. There is no power to be gained, money to be had, or anything like that for Arthur, he's killing because of a condition and just getting in his way during his day to day life isn't going to get you killed, injured, or anything like that. Not only that but his actions didn't have collateral damage in the same regard Walt's did.

Yes Arthur attacked his family and was cruel to them but (as horrible as it sounds) it stayed contained within his family. Outside of his killing ritual Arthur would seem like a normal and very nice person to anyone dealing with him. He was involved with his church, he did charity work, by all appearances he was a good person until the urge to kill struck. Even then the only people in danger were those he was targeting.

Rita was killed because of Dexter and his inability to act. Again this shows that your average person isn't in danger with Arthur because your average person isn't going to try to get close to a serial killer and meddle in their affairs unlike Dexter.

Walt is far scarier because his transformation was one that you didn't see coming and once he changed there was no bounds to the damage he'd do. Once his wife knew about his meth business it pretty much became a non-issue with covering it up. He flaunts his power and money, he lashes out when he's made to feel unimportant, and even children aren't outside of his scope. Arthur on the other hand did everything he could to bend in and not draw attention to himself.

Anyone else think that Kranston in Breaking Bad can look a lot like Gordan Freeman with a shaved head? :3

Personally I think that's why he lost. :P

I'm surprised, though, that Jack Nicholson a la The Shining wasn't in this...I mean come on. He starts out as kinda creepy, but not too bad, and then you get to watch his slow descent into madness until he's coming after his wife saying this:

Edit:
And just because I brought up The Shining, I have to bring up the scariest part in the entire movie:

II2:
I'd up you both with Robert Blake.

He's the spooky actor in the above scene from Lost Highway, and is still serving time after brutally murdering his wife after a series of disturbingly hateful phone conversations (the transcripts have been released to public record). This was the last movie he acted in before he was found guilty of premediated murder.

Don't do the crime if you can't do the 'ime... and keep your eye on the sparrow... I can t believe this is the same guy.

Douriff and Mitchum are both scarier than these guys, and Ben Kingsley is the scariest of them all thanks to Don Logan.

Say yes.

Keji Goto:

SPOILERS AHEAD FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T SEEN DEXTER SEASON FOUR AND ALL OF BREAKING BAD

Walter White is much scarier than Arthur Mitchell at the end of the day. While you may not run in the circles that Walt runs in that doesn't mean his damage stops at the edge of that circle. Walt bombed an old folks home to kill Gus, he was part of the group that killed a child who was just having a good time on his dirt bike when he happened across them, he's destroyed his family as he's become more power hungry, turned the cartel on his brother-in-law, nearly killed Brock in season four by poisoning him, and so much more.

Season one and two Walt would have stopped at the edge of that circle but the Walt we have now doesn't do that. If anything or anyone gets in his way of achieving his goals they are expendable and the collateral damage doesn't matter to him as long as he survives and his empire grows.

Yes Walt started off as the hero of the series but he became the villain over time. Breaking Bad shifted from following the underdog to following someone who continues to make the world a worse place around him. It's like the frog in a pot of water, if you put the frog into the water when it's already hot it will jump right out but if you put the frog in the pot and slowly bring it to a boil the frog will sit there and boil to death. We've been sitting in the pot of water since it was cold with Walt.

Arthur Mitchell on the other hand has always been a monster and a monster that fits a very specific role. He has an MO, there are boundaries he doesn't cross because it doesn't do anything for him. There is no power to be gained, money to be had, or anything like that for Arthur, he's killing because of a condition and just getting in his way during his day to day life isn't going to get you killed, injured, or anything like that. Not only that but his actions didn't have collateral damage in the same regard Walt's did.

Yes Arthur attacked his family and was cruel to them but (as horrible as it sounds) it stayed contained within his family. Outside of his killing ritual Arthur would seem like a normal and very nice person to anyone dealing with him. He was involved with his church, he did charity work, by all appearances he was a good person until the urge to kill struck. Even then the only people in danger were those he was targeting.

Rita was killed because of Dexter and his inability to act. Again this shows that your average person isn't in danger with Arthur because your average person isn't going to try to get close to a serial killer and meddle in their affairs unlike Dexter.

Walt is far scarier because his transformation was one that you didn't see coming and once he changed there was no bounds to the damage he'd do. Once his wife knew about his meth business it pretty much became a non-issue with covering it up. He flaunts his power and money, he lashes out when he's made to feel unimportant, and even children aren't outside of his scope. Arthur on the other hand did everything he could to bend in and not draw attention to himself.

LOUD SPOILING NOISES!!!

Walt is exactly the one I see coming, because when a man is placed against the Wall, he becomes more in tune with his animal nature. The man is dying, he has no hope, and I don't believe he has any type of religion or ideals to guide him. Life failed him, so he'll make it pay.

It hurts me to say this out loud, but someone very close to me was diagnosed with Inflammatory Breast Cancer just a little while ago. It is one of the most aggressive, and fatal cancers out there. While she is fighting it, she is changing. She is getting more blunt, she's taking on people bigger and stronger than her (she wasn't meek before, but she had some self defense mechanisms), and she is not giving a fuck. A Puppy is meek when you scold him. Because he wants to get back into your normal loving graces. If you are there to kill that same puppy, it will attack. Even it has no hope. because all it knows is to lash out and try to survive.

There are no more loving graces for Walter White. If there was a way out, he would temper himself. Because if there was a good chance he could walk away from his woes unscathed and to lead a long life, he would not be able to look at himself in the mirror. There will be no more mirrors for White. so why should he care?

We're comparing an Animal with nothing to lose backed up against a wall to a Unchained Monster who has no reason for it. He just wants to. He's compelled. He's a free radical that exists to take life from this world. If White could do what he needed to without realistically going to murder, I think he'd do it. But he didn't enter a kind world. He entered a ruthless one, and realized "When in Rome...".

We're comparing ruthless, horrendous murders and not asking the biggest question: Who has more to lose? White has almost nothing. Just a little time left with his loved ones. And when he's gone, what will become of them? Mitchell has exactly what White wants, what most of us want, and people who will have to live with his actions. And Mitchell couldn't give a proper fuck. He has everything to lose, and his impulses always wins out. He didn't become this way because his life is over, Mitchell was this way because that's what his life is about.

Rakschas:

random as trinitys attacks may appear, his victims fit a profile, his killings a habitual. if i knew he was a killer but didnt know his victims profile i would be freaked out that no body of water between him and me would seem big enough.

I would go as far and say that that man would put you off if you would spend a day in close company.
That is not to say any dangerous psychopath would, it just that he is a little obvious for the sake of the series audience. He displays strong characteristics of a type 1 psychopath, so strong in fact that most people wouldnt feel right about him.

in the context of the series he uses societies picture of a conservative church christian family as his cover to oppress and control and that is, in my opionion, the most scary part of him, as he is brilliant and in no way eratic about it, very much in contrast to his killings. here i say he shines, not treating his family as equals or even human but as part of the convenient cover, pretty much a skin he can shed any time the urge rushes to him.

it is not only a brilliant performance. the character and the parts of the season which involve him were very well writen and are one of the strongest of the dexter series.

Possibly so. In fact, I agree with you. If I did spend time with Mitchell, I'd probably sense something was off. But he wouldn't tip his hat at that time. He'd probably gauge me to see if I could sate his need. I might write him off as 'a creepy old guy' and keep my distance... but I wouldn't fear him. I'm a 6'2 guy who works out. All of the social cues (albeit that he would come off as a wacko) would tell me if a situation would go down, I could probably take him.

And hell, even then, I would be wrong. Mitchell already beat a fit man to death. I'd take pity, I might think I read the situation wrong, everything about Mitchell is built to make you either doubt yourself, restrain yourself, or underestimate him. That's his greatest strength. We know better because it's fiction and we can see who he is. But, in real life, if you see someone like that and he says he has a flat tire, you might think of your professor or your father and you'd go and help.

Walter White deals Meth. There's nothing about that sentence that I could misread. The only time I'd really, really come in contact with him is if I was in a situation where drugs are a focus. I lived in bad places. Word gets around where you should avoid. Who lives where and what that person is involved with. That's how people survive in those bad places. I remember going out with my cousin who lived in Brooklyn. We had to get the daily update everytime we left about who is where and what corners to avoid.

In short, while White is more deranged, I'm used to avoiding situations with people like him. I don't know where I'd go to avoid a murdering psychopath like Mitchell. Worse yet, I legitimately do not know if there's a murdering psychopath like Mitchell in my life at this very moment because he blends in so well with his social cue camouflage

"Lithgow" rhymes with "snow" not "cow", much like the Scottish city "Glasgow". I liked the video but that was pretty grating.

Um the new Hannibal TV show with Mads Mikkelsen(amazing name) as Dr Lector needs an honorable mention he is off the resivation of scary and unstoppable. You know he's the bad guy everyone does... but damn me at times you have no idea what he's upto its off the wall and his plans are so complex he's bacially the devil who wants to be your friend.

LordMonty:
Um the new Hannibal TV show with Mads Mikkelsen(amazing name) as Dr Lector needs an honorable mention he is off the resivation of scary and unstoppable. You know he's the bad guy everyone does... but damn me at times you have no idea what he's upto its off the wall and his plans are so complex he's bacially the devil who wants to be your friend.

Finally, someone mentions the good doctor. I thought I was going to have to do the honors myself. Of course, nothing equals the initial performance in Silence of the Lambs. I've never seen an actor BECOME a character like that before, or since. You really believed that crazy guy staring at you through the televisions was out there somewhere. Buffalo Bill deserves mention too, not because he's brilliant like Hannibal is (he isn't) but because of pure creepiness.

As for real people, Alfred Hitchcock gets a mention for tying a woman to a flock of angry birds (which attacked her)for the film The Birds (afterwards he asked her out), Stanley Kubrick gets mentioned because the eye scene from Clock Work Orange was 100% real, almost causing the actor to lose his sight permanently (I like to think he wasn't pretending to be scared in that scene at all)and Gary Busey gets a mention for being Gary Busey.

Honestly, I think Saw was just a documentary about the above directors.

Out of the two I agree that Lithgow wins but I still think that, based on roles alone, Sir Anthony Hopkins as Dr. Hannibal Lecter has them both beat.

Also suggested future episode, best ever pirate Guybrush Threepwood, mighty pirate vs Captain Jack Sparrow.

What a rip off! The hell's with that Drinking Round point for Chris?! That's not an argument, that's an opinion. "I don't like Breaking Bad so point for me." WhAAaat?! Well, I like it; point for Kyle. So it's a draw. In my mind. Cheers!

Also, Kyle's Drinking Round argument was worthy of a point way more than any other Drinking Round closing statements pertaining to this particular debate that should have, in all justice, championed one such as Kyle on today's edition of No Right Answer. Clearly.

For me this is a straight up tie. I'd say the Trinity Killer is inately more frightening but it was only for a few episodes of Dexter not a whole series like with Walter White. TK was one of many "evil people." Arguably the most, but still not the focus of the whole thing. Breaking Bad was WW's show. Seeing the lengths that the most bumbling, meek person can go to to survive. However, unlike TK, he remained mostly reasonable throughout the whole process. You can't argue with a crazy person like Trinity and win. He'll just bring the hammer. It's too close for me to call. Don't wanna be in the crosshairs of either.

Walter White isn't a hero. The protagonist doesn't need to be the hero. If there's a hero in that show, it's Hank.

Walter White starts off as an anti-hero, and over time becomes an anti-villain. He's the villain of the pieces. Often sympathetic, but still the villain.

talideon:
Walter White isn't a hero. The protagonist doesn't need to be the hero. If there's a hero in that show, it's Hank.

Walter White starts off as an anti-hero, and over time becomes an anti-villain. He's the villain of the pieces. Often sympathetic, but still the villain.

Exactly. Just because you can sympathize with the guy, it doesn't make him a hero.

Also, I was rooting against Kyle in this one for the simple reason that he is wearing a Blackhawks jersey. That is unacceptable!

lithgow is just insanely scary in dexter.

qeinar:
lithgow is just insanely scary in dexter.

My favourite part was when

That is fear inspiring evil right there.

(fyi, that is the correct usage of spoiler tags people)

Brian Cranston as Lex Luthor in the next Man of Steel movie. Let's make it happen!

Hopefully it'll be better than the first..

If it had been entitled... scariest Mother-F#*ker in a recent TV series I would have found it far less confusing. As was, the criteria and arguments seemed disjointed. old sweet guy goes psycho in an acting role on contemporary series might have also been a better name but as the convoluted name suggests its a pretty weak topic especially since its limited to series that no right answer actually watches and likes... the somethingest movie or tv series seems the far stronger choice compared to this. I mean I'd love to see dumbest tv series or something but this was just kind of weak...

I would nominate Willem Dafoe, but he's a bit too over the top in anything he's in. So instead, I'm going with Michael Shannon, particularly his role in Take Shelter, in which you watch him slowly losing his mind when he begins to have vivid nightmares about a deadly storm. When he finally reaches his breaking point, it looks like this (SPOILERS!):

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here