Trailers: Space Hulk - Launch Trailer

Space Hulk - Launch Trailer

Because you're going to need all the armor.

Watch Video

Wait, they sent 1000 space marines to a single space hulk? And only 50 survived. That's the entire chapter wiped out! I call bullshit.

Am I the only one who finds Imperial armor incredibly silly?

Aw... I was hoping for Bruce Banner going green and angry in space.

I can't take voices that aren't:

And 950 casualties is pretty much a chapter wiped out. Especially considering these are Blood Angels, I call shenanigans.

As mentioned, 1000 marines is more or less an entire full strength Chapter.

50 survivors means the Chapter has failed. Yeah, that did not happen to the Blood Angels.

As an aside, so it's going to be very much like the latest Space Hulk game?

(Sorta a pit that Space Hulk must be Marines (probably BA) vs Stealers, lots of other weird stuff to fight and do on hulks)

FriesWithThat:
I can't take voices that aren't:

And 950 casualties is pretty much a chapter wiped out. Especially considering these are Blood Angels, I call shenanigans.

same thing I thought

I know BA have a bit more then 1000 due to the death company portion of there chapter
but that's a death sentence for a Codex chapter.

also WTF: This space hulk took out more space marries Marries then the World Engine O.o

The main story in Space Hulk has remained unchanged since the first edition board game released in 1989. I did find that a bit odd myself, I would have thought they'd have changed it when the third edition was released to be more in line with current 40K themes. Back in the first edition days, Space Marines weren't the genetically altered supermen we have today. Space Marine recruits had the black carapace grafted onto them, but otherwise most of their abilities came from the drugs they were pumped full of and the psycho surgery performed on them. Though Space Hulk was released in the same year that the first Rogue Trade wide dwarf compendium was released, where we see the genetically re-engineered super warriors we have today, so I'm not sure how much of an overlap there is when it comes to Space Hulk. Still, if we go by the first definition, rebuilding a chapter isn't an impossible task.

Still, under current lore it is not unknown for a Chapter to come back from the brink of disaster. The Crimson Fists came out of the battle for Rynn's World (their homeworld) with no more than one hundred surviving marines and were almost disbanded. The Blood Angels still had their world, their genetic repository and their recruiting stock. Plus, the particular method they use to produce marines is much faster than other Chapters, so in theory can rebuild at a much quicker pace.

That's how I explain it to myself, anyway.

Anyway, having played the prologue missions, it's the board game, digitised. So far, that's been a good thing. The only thing that does bug me is the menu music. My first introduction to Space Hulk was the PS1 game, and that had some haunting, electro-goth music that fit the setting perfectly. In this game we get generic sci-fi orchestral dreck. Can I get some damn future music in my space game for once?

"Strike team, we are detecting multiple heat signatures all around you, are there genestealers?"
"OF COURSE THERE'S FUCKING GENESTEALERS!"

OT: well i do like 40k and I also like the turn base system of X-COM so if its anything like that I might give this a look see

I have waited for this one, finally a turn based strategy game again
There have been too few of those in the last couple of years

As for the huge losses, maybe it was before the 2nd founding and therefore the blood angels where much more numerous back the, I don't really know the story behind the original space hulk
Or maybe it was a successor chapter (Which technically still would be blood angels)

Spacefrog:
I have waited for this one, finally a turn based strategy game again
There have been too few of those in the last couple of years

As for the huge losses, maybe it was before the 2nd founding and therefore the blood angels where much more numerous back the, I don't really know the story behind the original space hulk

The second founding was 021.M31, this takes place 996.M40. Almost 10.000 years after the second founding.

It's a simple case of whomever made this trailer not knowing the first thing about the source material.

Hagi:
It's a simple case of whomever made this trailer not knowing the first thing about the source material.

It's a case of following the source material too closely. This is exactly how the story is presented in the Space Hulk 3rd edition rule book, and the novella that was released alongside it (which was written by Gav Thorpe, a long time GW employee).

Yup, as Major Tom rightly points out, this is the story from 1st edition Space Hulk. Back in ye very olden days the marines weren't the plot armoured unkillable superhuman fanboy fodder they are now. They usually took quite a beating even when they won.

Rogue Trader had the Crimson Fists virtually wiped out, Chapter Approved had the Space Wolves lose over half the chapter in one campaign against orks and Space Hulk had the Blood Angels virtually wiped out by genestealers.

Every time someone mentions Space Hulk, I instantly picture Hulk punching his way through wave after wave of puny space marines...

Queen Michael:
Aw... I was hoping for Bruce Banner going green and angry in space.

Oh, it's happened before...

Anyone else find it weird how much these guys sounded like lobotomized darth vaders?

zvate:
Anyone else find it weird how much these guys sounded like lobotomized darth vaders?

all spacemarines have vader cords implanted, as is mandatory in order to impose justice with a voice worthy of the emperor.

also, a game where you command a squad of darth vader troops is totally a game I'd buy.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here