Escape to the Movies: Kick Ass 2

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

I believe this is the first review I've seen claiming that this movie is actually worse than the first. I didn't like Kick-Ass so I doubt I'll ever put forth any effort to watching the sequel. I never really bought into the "real life superhero" concept since the first movie made it seem like it was incredibly easy to become a superhero--with little or no consequences. Compared to something like the Venture Bros, where cartoon violence and fantasy intersect with realistic pathos and emotion, Kick-Ass just seemed psychopathic. Either the talent to make something subversive and interesting was absent or the goal was basically subject audiences to something so dumb and incoherent that they would have to agree that it wasn't a mistake, regardless of how utterly pointless and heartless the movie ended up feeling.

Toilet:
Dave to old to be in high school is really going to bug me unless I can come up with a decent excuse for it, I wish it wasn't mentioned. Otherwise a decent review.

You could always handwave it by saying "oh, he was a freshman in the first movie". That way, he'd be a senior in this one.

I wish they'd made this sooner. It makes it less shocking that Hit-Girl is in her mid-teens.

However, having recently seen Equestria Girls, I am definitely looking forward to the parts where she tries to fit in with normal high school cliques.

Oh look, Moviebob makes ANOTHER comment on Man of Steel. We get it.

Within the works of Millar that I've read, his fandom becomes hard to understand. It's pretty clear that the audience isn't co-conspirators in the scorn, but the target. It's like a kid hanging out with a gang for the sense of belonging and camaraderie despite the fact that they periodically beat the daylights out of him.

Casual Shinji:
Why not like the first Kick-Ass?!

Because Hitgirl was a pathetically pandering non-entity of a character. The movie was great till she showed up and grabed the reigns. "Look, she's being violent, and says shock inducing words like 'cock' and 'cunt'. Oh you... Little girls shouldn't be like that."

Her whole fucking gimmick left me cringing.

I... didn't even make it that far into the movie. I just couldn't get into it at all.

I wish bob would just drop the censorship crap all together, he's the only one on the escapist who does and those damn bleeps are much more annoying ear pain than wooptiedo curse words

Went to see this last night and I can say the only funny part I didn't find funny was the whole scene in the lunch hall. As juvenile as a lot of the humour is, I just found that was a really cheap, unoriginal and immature way of getting a few yuks. The scene could have been written a lot better, with a funnier outcome.

Other than that I loved it! When you go to see a movie called Kick Ass you're getting what it says on the tin.

brazuca:
Cracked.com wrote an article about why superman does not work in the modern world. You MovieBob should read it (AngryJoe too). Basically the only way superman can survive and not become some anachronic character is to change. Times changes as people do. So does the conception of what a hero should behave. Also the movie was not that bad.

Plus some heroes just age better than others. Batman for example have never HAD to change that much because A) his origins were always very simple and free of any age and B) his character is timeless: he's a vigilante who operates outside the law due to the red tape that at times keeps justice from moving forward. Furthermore, Batman's refusal to kill makes sense; he knows that society thinks of him as a lunatic and is well aware that his morals are one of the few things separating himself from those he brings in. Furthermore, again, he deals with the criminal justice system and to respect that he makes sure those criminals are brought to trial no matter how heinous their crimes are.

Superman...has no excuses. The "do not kill" thing makes sense only up to a point with him. There's a difference between psychos on the street and galactic threats that could wipe out all of humanity. Superman should operate like classic mythical heroes such as Hercules, Gilgamesh, Beowulf, etc.

Loved the Nicolas Cage comments. Haha!

I'm really looking forward to this movie, even though I'm in two minds about the comic book.
It was interesting because it made me feel like I haven't done that often before. I had to put it down for a while because I found it hard to take in. I wasn't offended, maybe very slightly disgusted but I thought it was being violent for the sake of it.

I assume the gore will be scaled down, and I think they'll cut out the

I can't imagine it passing through Hollywood at all.

Will be going to see this movie though.

Man, I can't wait to see this one.

Casual Shinji:
Why not like the first Kick-Ass?!

Because Hitgirl was a pathetically pandering non-entity of a character. The movie was great till she showed up and grabed the reigns. "Look, she's being violent, and says shock inducing words like 'cock' and 'cunt'. Oh you... Little girls shouldn't be like that."

Her whole fucking gimmick left me cringing.

Her existence in the movie was a step away from its reason for being: give us a world where a normal guy tries to be a super hero. The scene in the convenience store parking lot was magnificent.

Then Hit Girl shows up. She really is a Superhero, and the story's reason for being is out the window.

I enjoyed her (especially the flash light scene and the final scene) a lot. But it might as well have been a different movie.

MovieBob:
Kick Ass 2

MovieBob gets down and dirty in this week's review of Kick Ass 2.

Watch Video

can anyone point me to a well written article on the problems of kick ass 2 the comic that go mentioned in bobs video?

Has Valkyrie appeared in Thor yet? We may have a candidate :P

I probarbly would have liked the first movie more if it infact DID hate it's own characters, because I did. Neither Kick Ass, Hit Girl or Cage (don't remember the name) where remotle likeable. They where psychotic maniacs who belonged behind bars or in a mental hospital. Hit Girl killed unarmed fleeing people in cold blod and Kick Ass called that being heroic. If the movie would actually have acknowledged that they where de facto villains instead of heroes I could have seen some point to it. But it didn't and I ended up disliking the movie as much as I disliked the characters.

The woman playing Mother Russia could easily be the Dolph Lundgren of this generation. I know I'm not the only one who thought that.

WOW, I had no idea that was a thing with the author! Is it really that bad? (I mean I haven't read Kick-Ass 2 but I read the first one and Superior and rather liked them.)

Well, how about that? I think that was the first time I had to do that age-verification thingy for what-is-essentially-a-slideshow movie review. But it's good to know that there's another movie out there worth considering before I choose to go and watch Elysium.

Huh? How didn't Superman act as Superman in Man of Steel?

Is this just another of Bob's hate trains?

EeveeElectro:
I assume the gore will be scaled down, and I think they'll cut out the

I can't imagine it passing through Hollywood at all.

Well, similar things have gone through Hollywood before, albeit for TV shows. I won't tell you which ones, in case you haven't watched them yet and I spoil it for you, but I'm talking about big-budget TV-shows with millions of view(er)s. Hollywood isn't as apprehensive as it used to be.

Phuctifyno:

Mystery Men...

AHAHAHAHAHAHA

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHA

Sorry, I just, no. I can't. <3

OT:
I still need to see the first one, but the people I'd normally go to see it with have some weird pact about seeing it only on one some occasion and something else stupid. No idea why. Guess I'll have to step it up a bit.

Either way, good to hear it's not terrible, at least from your perspective.

I hated the first one, but this movie looks okay.

I still find Hit-Girl more obnoxious than charming, though.

I don't know about you guys, but this is the first time I hear of Mother Russia. And all that came to mind was the scene of Frieza. :P Would love me some of her.

I liked the first kick-ass well enough, not amazing but not half bad either. Maybe I can scrounge some friends together to see kick-ass 2 this weekend. Also really bob still harping on Man of Steel. How was Superman not acting like superman in Man of Steel? The ending changed nothing because I failed to see how it could have ended any other way. For a more grounded take on superman I liked it and I realize other people wouldn't feel the same but I don't understand some of the hate this movie gets.

tarnim80:
I probarbly would have liked the first movie more if it infact DID hate it's own characters, because I did. Neither Kick Ass, Hit Girl or Cage (don't remember the name) where remotle likeable. They where psychotic maniacs who belonged behind bars or in a mental hospital. Hit Girl killed unarmed fleeing people in cold blod and Kick Ass called that being heroic. If the movie would actually have acknowledged that they where de facto villains instead of heroes I could have seen some point to it. But it didn't and I ended up disliking the movie as much as I disliked the characters.

Up front, I just want to say I am not replying to agree/disagree with your opinion. You are, of course, able to hold any opinion you wish, and many people will probably agree with this one.

I just find it funnily ironic that four of your badges you have set to represent yourself to the Escapist community are, in fact, killers. And your avatar is from a show that was almost banned from TV for its own depictions of violence.

Anyway, thanks for the smile on a rainy day.

Retrograde:
Oh hey look, another person on the internet taking a pop at Man of Steel for no good reason. That's what you became for a moment then Bob. Not a respected member of a field, another person on the internet.

This. Bob should totally have, like, done a video review for the movie...and maybe even another video to argue/explain his opinion!

And if he didn't want to be just another person on the internet, he should have posted these videos on a major popular culture website!

Shame on you, Bob!

p.s. And get a nickname, Bob! Don't you understand branding???

SpaceGhost:

Retrograde:
Oh hey look, another person on the internet taking a pop at Man of Steel for no good reason. That's what you became for a moment then Bob. Not a respected member of a field, another person on the internet.

This. Bob should totally have, like, done a video review for the movie...and maybe even another video to argue/explain his opinion!

And if he didn't want to be just another person on the internet, he should have posted these videos on a major popular culture website!

Shame on you, Bob!

p.s. And get a nickname, Bob! Don't you understand branding???

So having your opinion stated over and over again on a "popular culture website" makes you something other than just another guy on the internet?

That must be why you post here.

Hmm, you're tempting me - it sounds like one heck of a movie - but I'm standing by my boycott of Jim Carey after his ignorant, scatalogical, gun-control video, especially given the hypocrisy of playing a vigilante character.

Jim Carey has the right to hire armed guards and engage in vigilante fantasies, while us mere mortals are to be disarmed, and drool vapidly while watching his films.

Call me strange but I usually consider RottenTomatoes to be at least a semi-decent reliable source of criticism, sometimes I feel it's a bit off but usually they sit well with how I feel about the movie (since it's a compilation of a whole variety of critics).

Which is why I don't get why the difference between Bob's opinion, the public opinion and the critics' opinions differs so MUCH:

I loved the first Kick-Ass and one of the reasons was the sprinkling of comedy during all the killing, primarily just how out-of-place it felt to see a father teaching his little girl how to kill people...which is something you almost never see outside of anime :P

If Kick-Ass 2 is just more of Kick-Ass then what's with the sudden drop in ratings...

Hooray! I've actually seen something before Bob gets to review it for once. :D

Well this is one I disagree with Bob on and agree with the Rotten Tomatoes ratings though maybe not for the same reasons.

I liked the first Kickass alot, but this one was just, dull, boring and predictable(nihilistic). None of the characters I cared about or were interesting or made any sense. It was trying to be real and serious one second, then over the top and unreal the next. The action wasnt even interesting or exciting. The mean girls and boy band nonsense. The budget looked cheaper than the first film.

The day we lose Nic Cage will be a sad, sad day.

Considering that this month we got Elysium, this movie and World's End next week, this is probably the best August for movies in a long time.

Well, definitely going to watch this. Loved the first one!

Sejborg:
How didn't Superman act as Superman in Man of Steel?

Superman is not a character so much as he is an archetype, or an exemplar, or something. Superman is hope, stopping only just short of being a literal personification of hope the way Morpheus and Daniel are personifications of dreaming in Sandman. Superman hopes not only for himself, but he is hope for everyone else: He is the hope that, as you are falling off the roof and the unbreakable grip of gravity is pulling you down to your death, something or someone impossible will happen to save you.

Man of Steel likes to talk about hope, but its actions do not suit its words. Kal-El does not dare to hope that things will turn out okay. Instead, he broods and skulks and hides himself away, living in constant fear not of the world but of what the world might be or might do, and if hope is a perception that the future might end well, then fear of it ending badly is the very opposite of hope. Even after he's donned the suit, Kal-El takes no risks in the name of hope, perhaps best exemplified by his decision to kill Zod: Kal-El could have responded to that situation any of a dozen different ways, whether covering Zod's eyes with his hands or flying up into space or using his obviously superior leverage to turn Zod's face away from innocents or just asking him, "Look, dude, as much time as it's taking you to just look at these people you're threatening to kill, it's obvious you're trying to force me into killing you. Do you maybe want to just talk about your problems?" Instead, he lets his fear of Zod's actions rule him and he makes a decision to kill.

Likewise, no one in the world of Man of Steel has any reason to believe Kal-El will save them. He won't. He will tear through major metropolitan areas like the villains he opposes, causing billions of dollars of property damage and killing thousands, because he does not give a damn. He doesn't care. He doesn't like humanity, let alone love it. He saves...what, two people? Some army guy, and Lois Lane? Everyone else has to save themselves. For all that Jor-El talks about Kal-El being an example to others, you'll note the only humans to act compassionately and risk themselves to help others are Perry White and Jenna Olsen, people who never saw Kal-El save anyone and who couldn't have been inspired by him. They were already better than Kal-El before he ever got there.

Finally, Superman is not Kal-El, like this movie thinks. Superman isn't even Clark Kent. Clark Kent is Superman. Clark Kent is a boy who was raised as human by good, human parents, who grew into a good, mostly human man. Superman is the disguise he wears, not the other way around. Superman is a super man because of the man Clark Kent is, not because of the super powers Kal-El got as an accident of birth.

Also, not for nothing, but Superman didn't act like Superman in Man of Steel because the movie is so ashamed of Superman as a concept it won't even let the movie call him that, and when it starts to do so, it does while apologizing for it.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here