Based On A True* Story

Based On A True* Story

Two mushy biopics, one fall season, what's the worst that could happen?

Read Full Article

Zero Serenity:
Jobs is played up for drama. Here is some information from the guys who were there.

Thanks for the link. My favorite bit was:

"Bill Fernandez: It seems to me that there's a lot of fan fiction about Apple Computer and about Steve Jobs, and I think that this is the biggest, flashiest piece of fan fiction that there's been to date."

I'll admit straight up that I really like Apple products, in fact Macs are my preferred computer for general use and content consumption.. I have an iPad and an Apple TV as well. You could probably assume I'm an apple fan boy by hearing the list of Apple products I own. But to be honest I'm not.. I just like good tech and I will never, EVER understand the cult mentality and downright deification of Steve Jobs.

Needless to say I have absolutely zero interest in watching Ashton Kutcher's 'Jobs'.

Great read MovieBob.

Wait! You got something against "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me?"! Its one of my favorite things on NPR!

Looks like they were trying to pull a citizen kane by taking a real person (hearst/jobs) and changing him as needed to make for a better movie (although obviously not nearly as successfully).

I wonder why the creative liberties and lies in Jobs (like not mentioning xerox) piss us off so much but in older movie classics we just don't care?

It's a safe bet i won't be going to Jobs then i rather violently detest the beatification of people who were pretty cuntish in reality. Especially someone who in the grand scheme of things didn't do anything of worth.

There's some grammatical errors and a period where there should be a comma in the last paragraph on page 2.

Agree with the general substance of the review, though.

I love Pirates of Silicon Valley, that movie definitely needs more love. And most of the principals have said it's pretty accurate on the major events, even though a lot of dramatic license was taken. My favourite scene:

Who needs to see Jobs after that?

Glad you pointed out Pirates of Silicon Valley. I'm surprised and then at the same time not surprised by the lack of mention of Xerox in this movie.

Side note, what was the point at taking a shot at Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me?

Steve Jobs is one of the worst human beings who ever lived that didn't end up killing people. Any movie about him should be a cautionary tale on why we're better off.

I like how Bob has this Oscar-season stuff down to a formula now. I almost forgot about Pirates of Silicon Valley until I first saw the trailer for Jobs, but now the scene from that movie that sticks out was Bill Gates' appearance on a big video screen behind the stage Steve Jobs was standing on. From what I hear about Jobs, Kutcher's portrayal is pretty flat compared to they got to play Wozniak (the fun Steve).

Does Bill Gates have a touching story to be made into a movie when he dies?

Two things:

1) Your description of Jobs makes it sound like a so-bad-it's-hilarious comedy, which means I HAVE to see it so I can bathe in the tears of Apple Fanboys like Osama bin Laden at a Catholic old ladies' screening of The Passion.

2) I had never heard of Pirates of Silicon Valley before, but now I have, and thank you so much.

Living_Brain:

Eccentric nerd villified for two decades by popular-culture as some kind of evil creep (mostly for not being as superficially "cool" as Steve Jobs) none the less ultimately becomes world-class philanthropist, devoting his unimaginably large fortune toward world peace, environmental activism and curing deadly diseases? I imagine there's a narrative in there, somewhere :)

Making a movie about Jobs is such a waste of money. The man was an absolute cunt and I'm still hearing stories at work from people who worked or work in the Apple plant a small bit away from my work place about how everyone would be pissing themselves in terror whenever he'd visit for fear of him spontaneously firing random people for the most inane bullshit. As an example, he was going into a lift when an employee came out and the employee had his name badge attached to his belt instead of around his neck.

I got sick of the cult of apple long ago. It has been praising the wrong person. Jobs just sold overpriced crap to people who didn't know any better, and has said so when he started out. Even Wozniak said he took a 20$ computer board and sold it for 40$, and that's all jobs ever cared about: Money. he didn't give two shits about "change."

If there is anyone in apple that deserves any sort of praise, its Wozniak.

He was never out there to change the world or help others. All that "head in the clouds" talk was just the same bullshit fashion designers use to make people buy overpriced clothing made by starving children.

All the trendy "revolutionary" talk was a sales pitch people fell for. In a time when computer technology was so new the average person had as much computer skill as Hank Hill in the episode when he tried to write his congressman on a mac and couldn't even figure out how to turn it on.

I knew jobs was going to be a revisionist fan wank, even Wozniak hates the damn movie.

MovieBob:

Living_Brain:

Eccentric nerd villified for two decades by popular-culture as some kind of evil creep (mostly for not being as superficially "cool" as Steve Jobs) none the less ultimately becomes world-class philanthropist, devoting his unimaginably large fortune toward world peace, environmental activism and curing deadly diseases? I imagine there's a narrative in there, somewhere :)

Hey everyone! What this guy said!

My hatred for Steve Jobs is quite large, even though a lot of it is directed at Apple themselves. I think he was a horrible person who wasn't as 'visionary' as people think.

Megacherv:

MovieBob:

Living_Brain:

Hey everyone! What this guy said!

My hatred for Steve Jobs is quite large, even though a lot of it is directed at Apple themselves. I think he was a horrible person who wasn't as 'visionary' as people think.

These comments here sum up pretty much everything that needs to be said on this topic.

Jobs was a terrible human being and a bully. In another era hed have been a cult leader and have caused far more harm.

Im not viewing any fan boy masterbation matterial about that toad.

I've always wondered why Steve Jobs is held on such a high pillar that reaches the height of a god. He was a business man (which I remember were not seen as gods, but, by some, daemons) who didn't wear a suit. For those who worship at glass house (literally) of Apple, shouldn't you be worshiping Steve Wozniak? You know, the man who created the Apple I, the computer that launched Apple Computers into business? Still no? Remember the Apple II, also known as the machine that brought Apple Computers to the top? Yep, that would be Steve Wozniak's work.

zvate:
Looks like they were trying to pull a citizen kane by taking a real person (hearst/jobs) and changing him as needed to make for a better movie (although obviously not nearly as successfully).

I wonder why the creative liberties and lies in Jobs (like not mentioning xerox) piss us off so much but in older movie classics we just don't care?

Very few people are aware of William Hearst anymore and Steve Jobs is still very present in the cultural mindset, particularly with techie types. As another example, Zachary Taylor and Warren Harding were largely viewed as a couple of the worst US presidents of all time and yet most people don't have any strong feelings about either of them today. Whatever Steve Jobs was, he's still definitely a name known by many Americans. Perhaps the most important lesson from this, however, is that in fifty years, Steve Jobs will likely be as unremembered as William Hearst is today.

When I go to see a movie, I go to be entertained. I was entertained by Jobs. Sure they left out large swoths of Jobs' history, but what movie doesn't do that? I would love to see a Mini-Series go over every little bit of his life, but that won't be for many years.

Also, I like Jobs. He is a very interesting person and sure he was as emotionally stable as rope bridge in a hurricane, but I liked him. I am not an Apple Fanboy, I only own one Apple Product (my iPhone) in my entire life, but still! I would have loved to talk with him, insults and all.

Meh. I hate "based on a true story" movies anyway. I dislike how they take people who are interesting (sometimes) and reduce them to tired, marketable stereotypes in the cause of making it fit a formula so overplayed I don't even have to see the movie to know what will happen.

In short, gonna skip and do not feel I'm missing anything.

Living_Brain:

He's got a touching story now. Look up the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.

Does the Jobs movie include the part where when he became CEO and ended all philanthropy, and the part where denied paternity of his first child claiming he was sterile, or oh, do they include anything about Foxconn?

As a child of DOS, I carry a natural immunity to Apple-itis, and so I can like my IPOD for what it is. (SET "IPOD" != "status symbol"++)

I hate Hollywood political movies, and The Butler still sounds more interesting than Jobs. At least its use of the Civil Rights movement is legitimate, as ham-fisted as it may be... (Oh, but I'm still not going to pay money to see it--- Eureka, I've just found a new way to justify Piracy!)

Also, I just learned what the word Hagiography means. Thank you, Professor MovieBob!

Hey guys, you know how this article was about two movies?

Here's The Onion's take on The Butler. http://www.theonion.com/video/the-onion-reviews-lee-daniels-the-butler,33517/

MovieBob:

Living_Brain:

You can villify him quite easily just by looking at his own actions leading Microsoft. MS has a rich history of blatantly anticompetitive behaviour, investing a lot of time and energy in eliminating the competition in the most dirty ways imaginable. Doing philantropy doesn't excuse the gigantic, seemingly irrevocable damage that has been done to the operating system market. Especially since he's got more money than he can ever spend, so it's barely a sacrifice for him.

grigjd3:

zvate:

Very few people are aware of William Hearst anymore and Steve Jobs is still very present in the cultural mindset, particularly with techie types. As another example, Zachary Taylor and Warren Harding were largely viewed as a couple of the worst US presidents of all time and yet most people don't have any strong feelings about either of them today. Whatever Steve Jobs was, he's still definitely a name known by many Americans. Perhaps the most important lesson from this, however, is that in fifty years, Steve Jobs will likely be as unremembered as William Hearst is today.

That's assuming they aren't going to continue to use his digital likeness to do PR speeches for them... I've seen tackier add campaigns and we all know that someone is eventually going to give it a try and apple does love to 'innovate';)

Although, seriously, I don't particularly 'like' Steve Jobs and I certainly don't approve of revisionist history but he actually was kind of important and I see little reason for active hate of the person, himself (the movie is a different matter). He was talented at focusing on marketing, aesthetic design, and interface accessibility. he wasn't the only one involved but he was in charge of a company that has been wildly successful and was a major factor in changing how we view mobile tech. As the guy in charge for a lot of it you do have to give him props for success (kind of like he was the Don Corleone of the modern age... only we actually did benefit from this guy)

Ah and those movies are upon us once again. well lets at least hope people will see Jobs movie for what it is, an attempt to glorify him yet again that never ceases to amuse me.

MrOrbitz:
Macs are my preferred computer <...> I just like good tech

Does not compute?
Apple is same tech with twice the price for brand loyalty. And a locked one that you cant (well, are not supposed to) modify.

Strazdas:
Ah and those movies are upon us once again. well lets at least hope people will see Jobs movie for what it is, an attempt to glorify him yet again that never ceases to amuse me.

MrOrbitz:

Does not compute?
Apple is same tech with twice the price for brand loyalty. And a locked one that you cant (well, are not supposed to) modify.

Yes. They're more expensive, But I like the build quality of their machines and prefer OSX to Windows.. Linux is out of the question for me because I'm not very tech savvy.
I also don't care about modifying my computer after I've purchased it.. I just need it to do computer stuff and consume content and for me Macs are what I prefer using. I have owned PC's before but got tired of the headaches I always seemed to run into while using them.. Probably by user error on my part but I haven't had such problems just using my Mac like I tried using my PC's. I don't care about playing Video games on my computer either, So I don't really need to modify or upgrade the hardware as well.

MrOrbitz:

Strazdas:

MrOrbitz:

Does not compute?

Yes. They're more expensive, But I like the build quality of their machines and prefer OSX to Windows.. Linux is out of the question for me because I'm not very tech savvy.
I also don't care about modifying my computer after I've purchased it.. I just need it to do computer stuff and consume content and for me Macs are what I prefer using. I have owned PC's before but got tired of the headaches I always seemed to run into while using them.. Probably by user error on my part but I haven't had such problems just using my Mac like I tried using my PC's. I don't care about playing Video games on my computer either, So I don't really need to modify or upgrade the hardware as well.

Fair enough, you exchange convienience for price quality and freedom. You have that choice, of course. Though what problms you ran into with (im assuming windows?) PCs? while pre-xp generation was really likely to err a lot (win 98 crasheed when bill gates presented it for the first time hehe), and i could make my XP cry (lets ignore vista ever happened for it was abomination that should be forgotten), i cant remmeber last time win 7 crashed on me. and im something you could consider "power user", the kind that would make vista desktop manager crash at least once a day. really for a "jsut wnat to consume items" windows is as good as anything.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here