EXP: ScrewAttack's Best EVER! - Mario Game

ScrewAttack's Best EVER! - Mario Game

He is literally the face of video games, so how can we pick just one Mario title over the rest? Also, we discover one of Craig's most surreal childhood memories!

Watch Video

Super Mario 64, or Super Mario Galaxy.

Mario 64 created the template for free-roaming three dimensional gaming. It didn't just influence 3D platforming, it influenced any and every game that went on to use an analogue stick afterwards. Even now, if you go back and play the game, Mario controls better in 3D space than practically any other videogame character. His moves are incrediblly tight and responsive, and he has a seemingly endless list of abilities that you are able to pull off with just the press of a button- triple jump, long jump, wall jump, high jump, ground pound...

Galaxy, on the other hand, completely destroyed the template created by Mario 64, and was just as revolutionary for it. This was a game where everything up to and including the rules of physics were played with. You'd have entire levels where you could run left, right and upside down, completely fucking with your sense of gravity. The level design is some of the tightest ever seen in gaming, and the number of new ideas that EAD kept throwing at you was just mindblowing.

I get the 2D games are important and all that, and they're certainly a lot of fun, but none of the 2D games I've played have had the same impact on me as Mario's 3D adventures.

Super Mario Galaxy for me. Super Mario 64 is great and still fun to play, but in terms of better 3D platforming, Galaxy takes the cake. The look, the new gameplay mechanics like gravity, the controls, the music, the difficulty, everything was well done in both Super Mario Galaxy games. So far if you want the best of what Mario has to offer play the 3D games. 2D ones are great too, but I feel like with the 3D games Nintendo tries to reinvent Mario, as opposed to perfecting the fundamentals like they do with new 2D entries.

I've never been as impressed with Super Mario Bros. 3 as most other people have, even when I was a kid. Super Mario World is great, probably my favorite 2D Mario, but it still does not impress me as much as say Super Mario 64, or Super Mario Sunshine.

Edit: Honorable mention to the first two Paper Mario games. Even though I count Mario RPGs as their own deal, these two games are phenomenal to say the least. Filled with interesting little stories, awesome characters, lots of fun stuff to do. Great experiences all around.

For me I have to give it to Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door.

It was such a breath of fresh air. Like they said about Super Mario RPG and even the original Paper Mario it made me care about the character of Mario, but also about all of these brand new friends he'd acquired, and I just loved the world it took place in, and the new variety of levels. I mean one of the stars was on a wrestling federation championship belt. One of the chapters had us going all Hercule Poirot on a train.

Thousand Year Door took everything that was already good about Mario, and everything that had made Paper Mario such a phenomenal game...and just amplified it.

Thousand Year Door. No doubt.

Also it was the only video game I had ever played where there was apparently this whole other video game going on at the same time with Luigi that I wanted to play so badly.

I am still waiting for the day when we have the story of Luigi from Thousand Year Door as a playable game. Even if it's just a fan game (which is probably the only way it would ever happen)

Strain42:

Also it was the only video game I had ever played where there was apparently this whole other video game going on at the same time with Luigi that I wanted to play so badly.

I am still waiting for the day when we have the story of Luigi from Thousand Year Door as a playable game. Even if it's just a fan game (which is probably the only way it would ever happen)

Agreed, for me Thousand Year Door is the definitive Mario RPG experience.

I'm a little surprised for the "Year of Luigi" Nintendo didn't make Luigi's adventures during Thousand Year Door playable. They already went to the trouble of creating a story, his partners, and details of locations, why not just make it?

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here