The Escapist Needs New Newsies

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The Escapist Needs New Newsies

Think you've got the writing chops to join The Escapist's exclusive news team? Find out now.

Once again, the time has come to bolster the ranks of our small assemblage of exceptionally talented news writers. If you, too, are exceptionally talented, live somewhere on Earth, and are looking to break into games journalism, we'd love for you to apply.

Experience is a plus, but is secondary to your ability to clearly, effectively, and entertainingly convey ideas and information via the written word. To this end, we've concocted this little scheme to sort out who's a good fit for the position(s).

Here's how it works:
1) Read all the news on The Escapist. Well, maybe not all of it, but enough of it to get a general feel for our style. We encourage you to embrace your own voice when writing, but keep an eye out for common trends and conform your own submission to The Escapist's style.
2) Find a relevant gaming news story from somewhere around the internet, then write it as a news post appropriate for The Escapist.
3) Send us your 250-350 word write up, along with your name and any other information you think we should know in the body of an email to newsjobs [at] escapistmag.com with "News Application" as the subject line. If you'd like to include additional writing samples or a resume/CV, please do so as attachment(s) to the email.

The deadline for submissions is 11:59pm Eastern US Time on Friday, August 23rd. You must be at least 18 years old to apply.

Applicants will only be considered once the deadline has passed, at which point we will attempt to get in touch with everyone who made the cut within a few weeks. If you don't hear back from us, we will unfortunately be unable to offer you a position on the team at this time.

That's all there is to it! In case you have any questions, please feel free to PM me, encaen, using your The Escapist account. You do have one of those, don't you?

Good luck!

Damn my already full time job. Who doesn't want to sit on the internet and report about stuff?

Must hate the Xbox One, be skeptical of all video game remakes (sight-unseen) and believe Pacific Rim was this generation's Citizen Kane.

Ha! I kid! I kid!

--Morology!

Ace Morologist:
Must hate the Xbox One, be skeptical of all video game remakes (sight-unseen) and believe Pacific Rim was this generation's Citizen Kane.

Ha! I kid! I kid!

--Morology!

You sir have dared to sully "the movie of our generation". I challenge you to fisticuffs on the field of honor. I shall be "canceling the apocalypse" of your opinion. lol

I just might do this. I'm looking to do work experience at our national newspaper here next year, so this would be extremely valuable to heighten my skills. I do already have some writing experience, so we'll see how it goes.

Hopefully I'm good enough.

Oh, tempted to throw my hat into the ring.

Worth a shot, anyway.

And obviously, please all be terrible so I can be chosen good luck to anyone who enters.

Damn, if I didn't know that upcoming college was going to eat all my time I'd take a shot.

Oh my god oh my god oh my god. what a time to be alive . I have wanted to work for the escapist since 09. And after several years of studying journalism they are searching for staff...... To bad they weren't searching for staff a few months later because then I would have actually been 18 and able to try and throw myself in to the ring. Still though, good luck to all you "adults" out there who wanna try. Congratulations to whoever get's it

( don't be fooled by the cheerfulness of that post, I am screaming and crying internally)

Of course they offer a new job right before classes start back up for me. Because fate hates me. Well, good luck to everyone.

Think I'll give this another shot, nothing to lose, and everything to gain.

What happens, happens.

Good luck to whomever truly wants this position. I hope it'll help you further in life.

As for me, I'll stick to what I know. Gaming to me is entertainment right now, but if I learn something out of, great. I just like to game at my own pace.

Experience is a plus, but is secondary to your ability to clearly-

Welp, I'm out of the running. (I tend to have a hard time making things clear.)

Age-ist sods.

Good luck to people I like!

tempting. might want to give it a shot. would be nice to use english in my writing again.

Good luck to everyone who applies :)

Considering I managed to pre-empt several news articles on the Gaming board, I'm tempted to give this another shot. We'll see. Could definitely be fun.

...I mean, more on this story as it develops. Back to you in the news room Ron.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
...I mean, more on this story as it develops. Back to you in the news room Ron.

I've been meaning to take my chances into gaems jurnalizm for a while, might as well give it a shot.

BTW, good luck everyone! :)

Quite tempted to do this. Be nice to snag some author credit in a field I give a damn about for once.

Ace Morologist:

I am so in!

Ha! I kid! I kid!

Damn it!

(I'm not sure I qualify, though, since I haven't seen Pac Rim).

I think I just discovered my phobia. I'm terrified of being an internet gaming journalist. I can't do it.

I don't have a life and would like one so I'll definitely have to apply. Besides it's hard an autistic person to find something like a job (I know it's unpaid but it'll be good for getting me used to how a job would be).

Well I have been on this site on and off since late 2008, and I have studied for a degree in Journalism. So I might give it a go haha. Although finding a breaking gaming news story might be quite difficult, since everything is covered by everyone, everywhere immediately.

DalekJaas:
Although finding a breaking gaming news story might be quite difficult, since everything is covered by everyone, everywhere immediately.

I've quickly found this out. I realized that I have no clue other than through gaming news websites where to look for gaming news. If I do get accepted, I'd need a bit of help on that one. I was going to write about Resident Evil 7 aiming to be better than 6, and 'lo and behold - only an hour afterwards and it's already on the Escapist.

Anyway, I've managed to complete an article that hasn't been covered yet. I'll send it in straight away.

Are they just looking for style and quality of the article, or are they also looking for those who can ferret out unreleased news? I had a few articles that I started only to find that they already had a piece on it.

How's the pay?
(crickets)
Yeah thought so.

"Entertainingly" convey information?

*Sigh*

News is not supposed to be entertaining. It's supposed to be about NEWS.

May I humbly request that whoever they pick refrain from sensationalist headlines and turning what is supposed to be impartial articles into editorials?

Neverhoodian:

*Sigh*

May I humbly request that whoever they pick refrain from sensationalist headlines and turning what is supposed to be impartial articles into editorials?

This especially. Although news CAN be entertaining. The quality of journalism on this site is pretty substandard.

crepesack :

Neverhoodian:

*Sigh*

This especially. Although news CAN be entertaining. The quality of journalism on this site is pretty substandard.

I do agree on that.
Although being able to write in a way that the intended audience wants to read is important, and if you're bored with the piece you are less likely to get the information out of it.

I don't think there's anything wrong with news being entertaining, it only becomes a problem if it leads to them being misleading, or disrespectful.

crepesack :
[quote="Neverhoodian" post="6.825545.20030162"]"Entertainingly" convey information?

*Sigh*

If you don't like entertaining news, this--and I'm just throwing this out there--proooobably isn't the site for you. Also, news can be NOT ENTERTAINING NEWS NEWS IS IMPORTANT NEWS NEWS when it's time to talk about the economy, hunger, political strife, death, war, and whatever else in between (on other sites). Games are toys. Games are fun. What's wrong with talking about fun toys in a fun way while also getting the information right? Nothing, yo.

I would like to know sites like the Escapist know where to check to find the news when they report.

I'm totally in on this. I've been thinking about this whole "games journalism" thing for a while and I feel like it's something I can finally step up and try. Best of luck to everyone who enters, and may we have an entertaining and thoughtful news person by the end.

Mike Kayatta:

crepesack :
[quote="Neverhoodian" post="6.825545.20030162"]"Entertainingly" convey information?

*Sigh*

If you don't like entertaining news, this--and I'm just throwing this out there--proooobably isn't the site for you. Also, news can be NOT ENTERTAINING NEWS NEWS IS IMPORTANT NEWS NEWS when it's time to talk about the economy, hunger, political strife, death, war, and whatever else in between (on other sites). Games are toys. Games are fun. What's wrong with talking about fun toys in a fun way while also getting the information right? Nothing, yo.

You quoted the wrong person.

edit: Wait a minute....ha.

Now I wish I could write worth a damn. But I can't so I guess I will not be trying out. Ah well.

Hmm... I have no experience beyond my Tumblr blog......
Screw it, I'm gonna apply! I'll make it work with my school schedule if I have to, this would be some well-needed experience!

Hazzard:
I would like to know sites like the Escapist know where to check to find the news when they report.

I think it's mainly two ways
1)The advertising companies for the publishers and games have lists of all the major new sites relevant to them and send them a press release with new information about their game which then the sites might type up and publish

2)Particularly with sites like the Escapist, they read sites like IGN and Eurogamer and then rewrite that article and publish it. If you're interested in which sites they read, they always link to it in the article itself or under source at the end.

For a long time I thought this was a bad way of doing things (because it is bad journalism and doesn't by itself bring a whole lot of worth into the world), but the thing is, games are an entertainment medium, unlike sciences or serious news stories about wars, it doesn't really matter if the sources are biased. In games they all have the same bias anyway, they want to make you think their game will be awesome and we already know to watch out for that. People are looking for a comfortable site to learn about the newest games coming up and things relevant to their hobby and the Escapist provides that

DoctorM:
How's the pay?
(crickets)
Yeah thought so.

Details of compensation will be discussed with candidates after selections have been made. Suffice to say, this is not a volunteer position.

TimeLord:
Damn my already full time job. Who doesn't want to sit on the internet and report about stuff?

I write news and i have a full-time job.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here