Jimquisition: I'm Going To Murder Your Children

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 16 NEXT

I'm Going To Murder Your Children

If your first response to a game creator doing something you dislike is to get personal with them and threaten their families, you waive any righteousness you might have had. Seems like a no-brainer ... yet so few of us seem to have brains.

Watch Video

Fuck pressure from Publishers. Pressure from Gamers is far worse.

I'm with you here Jim. I don't care what someone thinks a person did to them, threatening that person's kids is just completely unacceptable and I think it does paint a very dark picture of the current game culture.

I was going to write a few death and rape threats to Konami for making Castlevania Mirror of Fate multi platform, but how am I supposed to do that now? the prospect of seeing you with a dragon dildo is way too alluring.
thanks for ruining my day, Jim

A woman is threatened on the internet in a grossly disproportionate manner. I was wondering when we'd have a brouhaha about how some stupid people doing stupid people shit and one/some woman/women taking it all too seriously means that gaming is sexist and we're sexist.

BRB, gotta flaggelate.

And in case you're wondering, no I didn't watch past the first minute or so, there really isn't a need to at this point.

Lady Victim, evil sexists, misogyny, gaming needs to change, THE ISSUE, etc.

Edit: Well blow me down, I've since been convinced to watch the video and while the basis of the whole thing has only happened because someone thought it was acceptable to lay into a woman, the content itself managed to subvert expectations. Good work Jim I guess.

Too bad you didn't feel the pressing need to stand up and be the hero we apparently needed when all the men you mentioned were getting threatened with death, but better late than never I guess.

Good episode, however I feel the intended audience will have no trouble tuning out your message. At the very least, hopefully it will further spurn those of us who aren't complete shits to continue to speak out against this behavior because it is absolutely not okay morally and damaging to the industry.

And Jim tempting me into be nice with his future dildo related escapades? Oh Sterling, you tease.

This entire thing is stupid. I should not even know who this woman is and people have not liked her for years. It's just that news sites decided to go nuts over this as an exuse to target those who were not happy with recent bioware products and a bunchy of idiots have jumped on the bandwagon. Whoever said that threat in the first place is an idiot.

TWEWYFan:
I'm with you here Jim. I don't care what someone thinks a person did to them, threatening that person's kids is just completely unacceptable and I think it does paint a very dark picture of the current game culture.

How? How does this represent me and other gamers? And yeah I am gonna take it personally. You're gonna slag off a group to which I proudly belong so fuck it, might as well have a pop at someone who can take it. Go on. How does this run off on me or anyone other than the assholes personally responsible?

Did you know that crazy One Direction fans stalk the mothers of the band just in case the boys ever visit their parents and send real death threats to real people for the crime of going out with a member of a boyband that they happen to love?

Does that paint a very dark picture of current gamer culture of music culture, or does it rather just make individual crazy bitches look crazy?

I wish The Escapist could switch around all their contributers and have them do anothers show for a week.

Also, people, stop make Jimmy make episodes that can be summed up in one sentence, or in the title.

Retrograde:
A woman is threatened on the internet in a grossly disproportionate manner. I was wondering when we'd have a brouhaha about how some stupid people doing stupid people shit and one/some woman/women taking it all too seriously means that gaming is sexist and we're sexist.

BRB, gotta flaggelate.

And in case you're wondering, no I didn't watch past the first minute or so, there really isn't a need to at this point.

You probably should have watched past the first minute then, because sexism wasn't mentioned at all...really. I am sure someone will mention it in the comments, but as for the video, he just talked about how threatening developers(or really anyone for that matter) is not okay. Pretty obvious it isn't okay, and the video seemed to mostly be made for the types of people who would say that shit, so it seemed more like he was venting.

We're never going to see that sex toy, are we?

I can see it now. Some arse is going to (metaphorically) spit on Ryan Davis' grave for GB'S Ducktales Remastered review (as much as I don't like it none) or something equally stupid and that'll be the end of it.

Retrograde:
BRB, gotta flaggelate.

Please don't, you're clearly ill equipped to do that.

At the risk of exposing myself to an amount of stupid far above permissible exposure limits - is there a link to the original story? I'm wondering what exactly this writer said to provoke this, or if her only crime was having been a video game writer. And let me be perfectly clear, I'm just wanting to know more about this incident, there is absolutely nothing she might have said to justify this kind of treatment. Honestly, the regularity of these kinds of stories has gotten to the point that I'm kind of ashamed to video game as a hobby.

Jimothy Sterling:

If your first response to a game creator doing something you dislike is to get personal with them and threaten their families, you waive any righteousness you might have had. Seems like a no-brainer ... yet so few of us seem to have brains.

Watch Video

Great video, it's messed up how people react over a pass-time activity. People need to grow up.

One small correction though, her quitting Bioware wasn't a direct result of the harassment she received, she quit because she is going to be making a text book about narrative design and doing other game related freelance work. Game news outlets have kind of run away with the story out of context.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/15/4622252/plague-of-game-dev-harassment-erodes-industry-spurs-support-groups

This episode is really kind of pointless, everybody with a brain already knows that this kind of behavior is bad and the rest are too stupid to ever understand that.

Right Hook:
Good episode, however I feel the intended audience will have no trouble tuning out your message. At the very least, hopefully it will further spurn those of us who aren't complete shits to continue to speak out against this behavior because it is absolutely not okay morally and damaging to the industry.

I'll say it again cause fuck it, someone here has to talk sense among what is inevitably going to be a complete circle jerk of 'aren't other gamers that aren't here shits'.

How does this reflect badly on anyone OTHER than the tossers who decided this was a good idea? I'm not sticking up for them, a line was very clearly crossed, but I've seen people tell Jim Sterling they would like to see him and his family die badly for not liking games enough or too much. That didn't cause a stir or reflect on horrible gamer culture, it just made it clear that like all the other things with people in it, there are assholes.

But how is it damaging to the industry that an unfortunate reality of the internet in the 21st century is that if you put yourself out there you will get shit from strangers.

If anythings damaging the industry it's people making a massive stink about this sort of shit only when it affects women.

When the 'Misandry in Videogames' guys were getting slaughtered on their boards and on twitter and then eventually got their project smothered, where was the indignation then?

...I'm sorry, I'm sure you had an important message about decency to your fellow man in there somewhere, but all I heard was "Dragon Dildo".

(Also, I thought the writing was the best part of Dragon Age II. For all the samey dungeons and uninteresting combat, I loved the depth of the characterization in the game. Somehow, the Internet assholes managed to pick out the one competent person that worked on that game and drive her away. Congratufuckinglations.)

This is truly a sad subject. We have this ability to take a bad game as a personal insult, like the developer deliberately screwed us over. That's where things go overboard and we start losing grip on the reality of the threats some of us make. We shouldn't need to be told that death threats aren't OK, we shouldn't have to be informed that making personal threats against someone's family is wrong.

However this happens.

We really, really need to purge the assholes from the gaming community, but I'm not sure how to do that. I like Microsoft's idea of gamers ranking as a way to quarantine the assholes and maybe that will work and it will be enough. If not, then gamers themselves will have to police themselves better.

Yeah, it's rather terrible.

Now I wasn't a fan of some of Hepler's stuff at all, but the fact that she, and her family, received death threats, and the fact that gamers were celebrating "abusing" a person out of the industry, for the crime of some inoffensive writing in Dragon Age, is fucking atrocious.

Retrograde:

BRB, gotta flaggelate.

Thank you for saving everyone the time of wondering if you actually watched the video. Since you admit you haven't, it makes the reason why you would have completely missed the fucking point completely obvious.

Well done on assuming this video is about sexism (it's not), and implying that threats are only unacceptable to the public eye when they're against women or their families (that's not true either). I'd strongly recommend watching the whole video, because you managed to write a response that literally had nothing to do with the topic, and is kind of useless as a result.

If you want to argue against something, at least argue against what it really is, rather than whatever argument you've made up in your head.

one of the best vids hes done and i couldnt agree more with it. but also sad that it needed to be done in the first place. chill the fuck out people and grow up

Retrograde:

Does that paint a very dark picture of current gamer culture of music culture, or does it rather just make individual crazy bitches look crazy?

It paints a very dark picture of current One Direction fans, yes.

If you're a One Direction fan obsessed to the level of stalking someone, you're probably not a fan of much else.

Retrograde:

BRB, gotta flaggelate.

Retrograde:
If anythings damaging the industry it's people making a massive stink about this sort of shit only when it affects women.

When the 'Misandry in Videogames' guys were getting slaughtered on their boards and on twitter and then eventually got their project smothered, where was the indignation then?

He didn't once mention sexism in the video, and he brought up a couple recent cases of men receiving the same treatment. I believe it is you who is creating an issue where there wasn't one, not Jim. This video was about PEOPLE getting mistreated by crazy fans, not WOMEN being mistreated by misogynists.

Also, he isn't painting all gamers with the same brush. His rant doesn't apply for those of us who just play the games and vote with our wallet when they don't appeal to us.

It's not fucking okay. And you, Jim, deserves a fucking medal.

themilo504:
This episode is really kind of pointless, everybody with a brain already knows that this kind of behavior is bad and the rest are too stupid to ever understand that.

That is a point. And I'm suggesting that someone be decorated for being generally decent.

But... Bloody hell, these are the cards we've got right now... But it's when decent people give up that we never get to change for better cards.

Edit: Although it's about as impressive as foreseeing that seven o'clock comes after six o'clock, I foresee mind-boggling amounts of projection to come.

Church185:

Jimothy Sterling:

Watch Video

Great video, it's messed up how people react over a pass-time activity. People need to grow up.

It's not even that people have to grow up. There is never ever ever ever any reason you should threaten someone or their immediate family, least of all because of a disagreement about any sort of media one may or may not enjoy. But, you know...people.

Retrograde:

BRB, gotta flaggelate.

Well, past the first minute he brought up death threats made to David Vonderharr and Stephen Toulouse and any critic who doesn't give X game a 9/10. The issue was about gamers making death threats to people who wrote a game or changed how a gun worked. Hepler just happened to be the most recent and most extreme example. A general, gender-neutral condemnation of the people who harass people in the industry.

I know others have mentioned it, but given the rest of your posts here, it's clear that the message isn't getting through. The only one trying to make this a gender issue is YOU.

Church185:

Retrograde:

BRB, gotta flaggelate.

Retrograde:

He didn't once mention sexism in the video, and he brought up a couple recent cases of men receiving the same treatment. I believe it is you who is creating an issue where there wasn't one, not Jim. This video was about PEOPLE getting mistreated by crazy fans, not WOMEN being mistreated by misogynists.

Also, he isn't painting all gamers with the same brush. His rant doesn't apply for those of us who just play the games and vote with our wallet when they don't appeal to us.

I've since addressed my OP, and while I've admitted that while this was very neatly set up in the same way as a dozen other 'preach to the choir' sessions, I was wrong on this one. Well, wrong on the content.

That first paragraph is still true, and Jim himself actually sort of proves my point with his mention of all the men that have gotten death threats but haven't inadvertantly caused a massive stink or gotten extra special attention or quit their jobs. Where was his backing of those guys? Like I said, better late then never, but the pattern doesn't suggest this would've happened had we been talking about John Hepler.

Once again a good episode Jim and I agree, now I'm not really familiar with Hepler's work, but the fact that she and her children were subjected to death threats just because she had a different opinion of a game is nothing short of ridiculous. It's people like that who give gamers a bad name and why the likes of Fox News are always champing at the bit to accuse all gamers of being psychopaths.

This has nothing to do with difference, Jim. The CoD patch was boilerplate stuff for gaming. While I don't know specifically what Hepler wrote in the Dragon Age series, nothing there was really different. Phil Fish is only "different" in the sense that he's a jackass who tells people to kill themselves because he can dish out "harsh truths" but is too delicate to handle them thrown back.

And even then, that seems to be the gamer in a nutshell. People who demand everyone else grow thicker skin but who themselves are so fucking fragile that they will fly off the handle when it affects them.

Hepler is just a figurehead for "things I don't like." The same with the PR guys for the Xbone. The same with the guy who had the odious duty of detailing a patch to the CoD community.

And yes, it's damn disgusting. But I don't think it's right to attribute this to daring to be different. One of your primary examples comes from a Call of Duty game. Dragon Age isn't exactly groundbreaking material, either.

Note that absolutely none of that justifies threats, either. I don't buy into the "it's the internet" mentality and I hope I never will. I'm not sure what's worse--that some people fins this okay or that more people actually seem to justify it.

Retrograde:

Yes, to both I'm afraid. Don't get me wrong, there is a ton of good in the game culture and even more good people in it. However as Jim himself pointed out this is hardly an isolated incident and that's the part that troubles me. It's not just a matter of ignoring the crazy people when they appear to be doing actual damage.

TWEWYFan:

But it doesn't, because it has nothing to do with game culture, not provably anyway.

A female politician in the UK who had the audacity to suggest it'd be a good idea to have more women on our currency was threatened with rape. Mary Beard, a lady who is a classicist and TV presenter was sent bomb threats for speaking up about the previous issue as well as others.

Neither of those, nor other many similar stories have anything to do with gaming whatsoever. It is the perceived anonymity that comes with posting online that causes most of these kinds of things. People cannot see their victim, often post under an alias and frequently do not think of the consequences.

The idea that gaming as a hobby might have something to do with this is no different from the people who blame rock music for causing drug addiction and violent media for causing mass shootings.

That is not to say we shouldn't care when people do it, or deal with it, but we should be looking at the root cause, not pointing the finger at one of the many areas where such behaviour occurs. Because if gaming did not exist, the people who sent those threats would still almost certainly be the same kind of people who did the things I linked above.

I think Jim is absolutely spot on with what he says, it is a problem for gaming in the sense that these people are causing issues, and we should deal with it. But it isn't because of gamers or gaming. We need to be looking at what causes to people behave like this in the first place, and how to deal with it. Not point fingers at gaming, because that is not really any different from what the politicians did after the mass shootings, and that was widely criticised.

OT: Jim, in your opening post you make it sound as though your original idea for the video was interrupted by this story. The thing is, the events happened last year. Jennifer Hepler left Bioware in February of 2012 in fact. I am not suggesting that the points you are wrong, as I mentioned above, I completely agree with what you said. It's just that the reasoning you gave for doing this video seems a little strange. It is not "current news" so I don't understand the seeming urgency.

As for using the word "entitled", you did in fact use it incorrectly, because if we are entitled to something that means we are right to expect it. The correct term would be having a false sense of entitlement, because that is what thinking you are entitled to something that you are not is.

Retrograde:

Too bad you didn't feel the pressing need to stand up and be the hero we apparently needed when all the men you mentioned were getting threatened with death, but better late than never I guess.

He did:

An episode based around Phil Fish being harassed.

In fact this one he felt was important enough to do midweek despite having already done his regular episode. You seem to be trying to make this a gender issue when it isn't one, which is ironically what you are accusing Jim of doing.

I didn't know this still had to be passed around.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 16 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here