Jimquisition: I'm Going To Murder Your Children

Pages PREV 1 . . . 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 . . . 16 NEXT

erttheking:

Silentpony:
Snip

He actually went out of his way and made an extra episode purely to discus the crap that was getting flung at Phil Fish.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/7831-Go-Fish

You know what, true. He did do an entire episode on that. But that was like a bonus episode. More often then not the weekly episode is about how male gamers are absolute scum and we should be lucky to have any woman who graces the video game industry with their presence.

Silentpony:

erttheking:

Silentpony:
Snip

He actually went out of his way and made an extra episode purely to discus the crap that was getting flung at Phil Fish.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/7831-Go-Fish

You know what, true. He did do an entire episode on that. But that was like a bonus episode. More often then not the weekly episode is about how male gamers are absolute scum and we should be lucky to have any woman who graces the video game industry with their presence.

Ok, now you're just plain seeing things where they aren't. At what point did he ever say anything even CLOSE to that? If it the sexism videos he's done in the past? Because someone isn't sexist against men when he points out flaws in an industry that are less than favorable towards women. That's like saying that advocating against racist elements is saying that all whites are scum, that isn't what's happening here.

generals3:
All i gotta ask after seeing this video is how can the action of a minority in any way be representative of "gamers" ?! This video was probably the worst way to talk about this issue.

Because they call themselves 'gamers' too? I mean, until the chaff is removed from this community, all someone has to do these days is call themselves a 'gamer', have a console, and be able to type a message on the internet. I won't say that this is the BEST option (or even good), but we've strived for inclusivity for a while now, and it's worked, to an extend, adding too the help of social media. Now, with crap like this happening, we could stand to have the flexibility to change OUR OWN community, if we're even going to call it that. If not, we need another name for this collective.

Ipsen:

Because they call themselves 'gamers' too? I mean, until the chaff is removed from this community, all someone has to do these days is call themselves a 'gamer', have a console, and be able to type a message on the internet. I won't say that this is the BEST option (or even good), but we've strived for inclusivity for a while now, and it's worked, to an extend, adding too the help of social media. Now, with crap like this happening, we could stand to have the flexibility to change OUR OWN community, if we're even going to call it that. If not, we need another name for this collective.

See now even if we assume there is "a gaming community" generalizing based on a small minority is silly. It's like saying "muslims are terrorists". And secondly there is no such thing as "the gaming community". A gamer is someone who plays game, just like a driver is someone who drives a vehicle. That doesn't mean there is a "driver community". Being a gamer describes what you do, not what you're part of.

Such a pointless episode. Stuff that is already obvious to most of the crowd except for those silly few who won't see or learn from this video like this anyways.

Also don't make generalizations by calling those crazy few "the gaming community" it's just short sighted to do so.

(In my opinion that it's stupid to take internet threats/rants serious anyways)

ChrowX:

Dragon Age 2 wasn't particularly good for a lot of reasons. Hepler's criticism started when she complained about having to play videogames to experience the story.

Is that such a bad thing, though? Mind you, I don't have her problems with gameplay for the most part, but sometimes I do wish I could just skip to the next part of the story. e.g Instead of watching a Lets Play I would've loved to have owned Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite instead if I could handle 1st person POV anything and/or cared about shooting in general. I almost didn't get The Last of Us when all I wanted was the story because shooting is a foreign concept to me and the only game I've played that even had the option of shooting in it was Deadpool, and because the Let's Player that I follow likes to do games in 2-4 hour live sessions that are set days-weeks apart so followers can have the chance to support these games and finish them themselves (it works).

Deadagent:
I didn't know this still had to be passed around.

That video doesn't excuse behavior that involves threatening the lives of someone's children. I'm all for criticism, but outright hatred has no place in critical analysis nor any place in the reaction of said analysis.

Moving On: Do people really do this? I understand that people can get attached to works of fiction, but do people really feel the need to threaten the creators? Can't the displeased people say "I don't like this, I dislike the creator/writer" in a somewhat mild manner and move on? It's not like we're talking about politics or government policies.

ShirowShirow:

Mr_Terrific:
Yeah...should have went with the DLC episode as this is completely pointless since she got a book deal.

I also find it funny that Jim will jump down our throat for the Hepler thing but won't say shit to Marcus Beer or any of his peers who fuck up this industry just like the dipshits that threaten children.

Speaking of children, some loser threatens to murder a school full of children receives the support of damn near everyone in gaming because he was "joking" but when multiple people do it to Hepler, it's clearly serious threats and they all should be imprisoned.

I want my damned DLC episode....dammit.

Dude did a whole episode on the Phil Fish fiasco. Go look for it.

Yeah and he didn't say shit about Beer. No fuck you's or any of what he's saying in this video. He's not going to attack his peers.

Jim said, this episode had to be made, but why? The last couple of episodes have been rather pointless. Making deaththreats on the internet (or in general) is stupid and wrong? No shit.
I find the delayed DLC topic far more interesting.

You know I had no idea this was still going on the Hepler front.
Also don't lump all of us with them.

I'll quote myself:

"I have never felt so distrusting, annoyed and disturbed by the video game community in years reading this. With regards to the death threats of the Call Of Duty developers, while it's absolutely wrong they got death threats thrown at them, I could at the very least numb myself with the possibility that maybe it's just what that type of game audience brings. However, Bioware, a developer of RPGs, has inspired scorn in the gaming community so much that she's recieving death threats towards her, the rest of her team and her family? Not even for doing anything bad or may have an effect on the game. I can't help but believe more than ever that the gaming community deserves companies like EA and Activision. The type of company that exploits and belittles their fan base. Just because they deserve it for acts like this. They deserve Fox News giving ill-informed opinions of activitys, and they deserve Anita Sarkeese to exploit people for money. They deserve every negative thing at this point in my eyes."

I'll admit this was written before it was revealed that she left to write a book rather than due to the threat, but the point still stands. As someone who feels passionate about equalities and despises inter-group judgements, it's incredibly hard for me to now care about the plight of gamers. This entire incident has left me with a part of myself dead inside. A small part, but it's so very dead. At least groups like PETA, Westboro Baptist Church and the KKK aren't self-entitlted brats.

Well, this is sick and disturbing. Harassment and threat of violence isn't the way to go when you don't like something, I agree. However, while I feel Hepler deserves to be defended on the level of people threatening her life, and harassing her, I need to put something out there:

I didn't like the writing on projects/portions of projects she was associated with. I didn't like the writing in her book. And, as to her daring to be creative, I don't agree that she was. The actual writing she produced was on the same level as the generic romance nonsense my mother reads, and admits to only reading because it's brainless, stupid and [bad] - her 'junkfood' that's not good for her brain, but she likes it now and then anyways while wholly considering it bad at the same time. I view Hepler's writing in very much the same way. I suppose you can still consider it creative, on a certain level, so maybe I'm alone in finding it absurd to defend her 'creativity' . . . which I suppose it fine. Again, she deserves the full force of the law in defense of her safety, and her children's safety. She deserves our support for sticking it out, and for continuing to work for some time despite the negative feedback, but I'd still never defend her creativity and I don't care who we're talking about. I won't defend bad work. I will defend a person against harassment whose work I don't like.

I also didn't like her commentary on wanting to skip gameplay. It's not that the idea is bad, it's that there's an entire genre of games that already do it (visual novels with choose your own adventure aspects) that she could have gotten involved with instead. My issue was as simple as that, "if you want to skip gameplay, there's an entire genre that already does that." It really did just sound like she wanted to be working on another kind of game entirely, and that's fine. She should have been working on another type of game entirely, I can't help but think that would have made her and many of her critics happier. Visual novels, from what she described as her preference, would be a format of game she'd enjoy writing for, and there's definitely an audience out there for visual novels (many of whom seem to enjoy writing styles very similar to hers, writing style I don't personally like, but hey . . . there's an audience for that in the visual novel genre).

pointless episode... This stuff is not done by "gaming culture", but by some crazy fucks that are stupid.
They don't watch your episodes and if they do, they won't get your point because they're, well, crazy.
This Episode was like a newspaper headline: "Eating babies is BAD!"

Anybody who thinks this episode is unnecessary is lazy.

Anybody here who thinks they shouldn't hear this "because..." is freaking lazy.

YOU are the passive part of the problem. you are ENABLERS.

People who do this shit will no doubt not care for what Jim just said? Yeah. Fine. It's quite true. However, whenever that shit happens the larger group just perks their noses up and goes "Oh but i'm not like theeeeeeeeeem" "They are ANOTHER group entirely" "Oooooooooooh dont pile me up with THOSE guys..." fucking STOP THIS SHIT.

YOU get the community you enable around you. Just as much as the stupid kids that do the kinds of things Jim is talking about, many see and replicate. They just go at it and pile on, trying to make it a "thing" for the "lulz". What DOESN'T happen is the reverse power. What doesn't happen is people telling to cut that shit out. calling them on their bullshit.

Because as soon as this happens, the lazy ones start fanning themselves "Ooooooooooh its pointless to ague, i'll just let it be. i'm not like THOSE guys... no no no they are a complete different group. How unfair TO ME that i have to hear this that has nothing to do with ME"

Fucking entitled lazy babis, cut it out. It's because you lame it out, because you don't stand up for this stuff that we have these problems in the first place. You are ENABLERS. Passively allowing this culture that is beyond gender or race and it's just caustic to us all.

Stop defending yourself and justifying your self and finding a thousand different excuses to put yourself in your own little special bubble because you are not helping. you are not even being neutral, you are MAKING IT WORST.

if you see people acting like in the case Jim mentioned, CALL THEM OUT ON IT. Dont just walk way and look to the side.

bells:

People who do this shit will no doubt not care for what Jim just said? Yeah. Fine. It's quite true. However, whenever that shit happens the larger group just perks their noses up and goes "Oh but i'm not like theeeeeeeeeem" "They are ANOTHER group entirely" "Oooooooooooh dont pile me up with THOSE guys..." fucking STOP THIS SHIT.

YOU get the community you enable around you. Just as much as the stupid kids that do the kinds of things Jim is talking about, many see and replicate. They just go at it and pile on, trying to make it a "thing" for the "lulz". What DOESN'T happen is the reverse power. What doesn't happen is people telling to cut that shit out. calling them on their bullshit.

Because as soon as this happens, the lazy ones start fanning themselves "Ooooooooooh its pointless to ague, i'll just let it be. i'm not like THOSE guys... no no no they are a complete different group. How unfair TO ME that i have to hear this that has nothing to do with ME"

Fucking entitled lazy babis, cut it out. It's because you lame it out, because you don't stand up for this stuff that we have these problems in the first place. You are ENABLERS. Passively allowing this culture that is beyond gender or race and it's just caustic to us all.

Stop defending yourself and justifying your self and finding a thousand different excuses to put yourself in your own little special bubble because you are not helping. you are not even being neutral, you are MAKING IT WORST.

if you see people acting like in the case Jim mentioned, CALL THEM OUT ON IT. Dont just walk way and look to the side.

And now please tell us what we actually should do? THis is the internet and most people hide behind anonymity. They don't give a shit about what you or I think. And the only possible thing they'd get is returning the favor towards them and troll them. But than you're not really any better than them.

Jimothy Sterling:
Try not to be a sick f​uck for a couple of days, mkay?

I... I need a towel

TreuloseTomate:
Jim said, this episode had to be made, but why? The last couple of episodes have been rather pointless. Making deaththreats on the internet (or in general) is stupid and wrong? No shit.
I find the delayed DLC topic far more interesting.

Because the nature of the internet means you can pretty much do that kind of stuff without consequence. If someone who doesn't like it can introduce a consequence, even if it's something as small as irritating people and supposedly wasting their time by delaying an episode about an interesting topic for a week in order to make a so-called "pointless" episode that apparently no one really needs to hear? Well...

He'll take what he can get. People may think they don't need scoldings, but if they're still doing stuff that warrants scolding and are indeed getting scolded for it, then maybe we should start cleaning up our act as an industry. 'Cuz if people cared enough about stuff like this being "pointless," they'll stop being pricks so they don't have to hear it anymore. It's time we break the Ring of Gyges.

This just in: People are fucking retarded fuckwads who need to be fucking smacked upside the fucking head with a fucking dragon dildo. Fuck.

Don't feed the trolls, Jim. You're just giving them the attention they so desperately crave.

uanime5:

LetalisK:

Deadagent:
I didn't know this still had to be passed around.

No, you're right, it doesn't need to be passed around, but because it's trite bullshit from a pseudo-intellectual asswipe.

Sounds like someone's upset because this video uses logic and reason to show that the abuse against Hepler was blown out of proportion by Bioware to hide how awful their games; along with show how stupid these white knights are. It also shows why Hepler is one of the reasons why Bioware has been in decline for some time.

I wasn't aware logic and reason involved disjointed conspiratorial navel gazing. At least he's got the "journalism" part of his name right, though.

Editted to be concise

VinLAURiA:

Because the nature of the internet means you can pretty much do that kind of stuff without consequence.

Except that this isn't true. The police do take online threats seriously.

Besides that, there's a lot we can do as far as doling out consequences. We can stand up to them and shame them, for one.
We can ban them from our online communities, and we can encourage others to do the same.

In my oppinion people like Phil Fish and Jennifer Hepler are just wussies. I worked as a bouncer for some time and got death threats on a regular basis.

The guys that threatend me were not stupid little fat fanboys behind their computer, but (mostly) drunken tatooed 6 foot idiots with a criminal record. And i got my threats directly in the face, not over the internet.

So dear game developer/writer, buckle up and stop crying.

I would say this video was worse than pointless, this video is actually damaging.

It will show terrorists (Because that is effectively what they are, they are attempting to apply terror to an individual to get a result they want) that if they apply enough pressure, they will get their way, and various media pundents will tell people of their success...

And really, who is this video for? The people who are mature enough and smart enough to know that this kind of behavior is bullshit...already know its bullshit, and the people who do it just got told that "Hey, you are assholes, but it fucking worked!"

Though I cant help but feel that in Jims passionate decrying of terrorist fucktards he missed why people didnt like Hepler, its not that she was some visionary that dared to challange how games are made or to offer something different than what we get every year, she was just a bad writer, and Dragon Age 2 was exactly the outcome of the conformist shit that publishers push out, something meant to appeal to as many people as possible like CoD or AC

generals3:

See now even if we assume there is "a gaming community" generalizing based on a small minority is silly. It's like saying "muslims are terrorists". And secondly there is no such thing as "the gaming community". A gamer is someone who plays game, just like a driver is someone who drives a vehicle. That doesn't mean there is a "driver community". Being a gamer describes what you do, not what you're part of.

...You've turned your original argument a bit inside-out. If above is a case, why worry about what that loud minority attempts to represent? I'm under the impression you find gaming an ultimately solitary experience (in close agreement myself); what bearing does anyone's input have, loud minority or no, compared to your own, for yourself?

Yes, as much as I'd love an unified gaming community, as far a scope as we tend to reach, you're in the right direction; it really IS just an assumption. A gaming community has to be about more than the games, it has to get the people involved to care for each other, stand up for each other. You'll always have assholes, but stretch the community too wide, and those assholes tend to pick up momentum. I'm reminded of a certain site, in this regard...

Ok, despite being loathed to agree witht he pack, yes the overall concept of "people should not have to endure threats for being creative" I think there is one major thing that is being missed here, and honestly in the whole linear progression of videos centered around telling people how their intolerance is intolerable, speaking out about one group getting lumped together as representative of the larger whole, and being the perpetual watchdog over community behavior.

These people who do shit like this are only a minor representation of what "gamers" are. We have seen estimates of what makes up the gamer demographic that range for example in the US from 35 to upwards of 65% of the US population, so hovering between 100 million (little less than 1/3rd) to 265 million (over 2/3rds) of the total population. With demographics potentially that large as a demographic it goes without saying that the handful of fuckwits purposely making life miserable out of their own selfishness is not representative of the culture as a whole. Yet in its criticism it basically IS taken as such.

Look Im not defending anyone who makes threats from behind the fading veil of anonymity of the internet. That behavior IS wrong. But I also used to work in a volatile industry that has the tendency to generate similar unjustifiable hatred. I have had my life threatened, I have been called quite literally every name in the book and in some cases had to import foreign language books to figure out I was being cursed. I have had people express their most sincere wish that me and my entire family are forced to suffer and die of malaria and all other manner of heinous disease. No it is not pleasant. No it was not appropriate. However if I allow the words of some jackov with a chip on their shoulder to adversely effect me, then the simple truth of it is, they won. They got the result they wanted. And by letting them win it would be proactively on my head because once they know they have in fact succeeded, they will see that bad behavior as being rewarded, and as such think it is an effective tactic. So next time they encounter similar situation what happens? "Well it worked last time, lets try it again"

Again, I do not like it, but you also have to see the long view of such things. For one, what is the alternative? Censoring the internet like so many naive and gullible people seemed determined to do nowadays for fear of anyone getting their feelings hurt? Yes it is a bad situation and someone deserves a fate that makes them wish for the fate they would wish upon others. Such is the price of freedom of speech, in any form. Yes it is ugly and unpleasant, especially when directed at ourselves personally but the alternative is far far worse and much more intolerable.

It is absolutely astounding that so many people in this day and age cannot grasp the simplest concept that the only person who can give power to words is you. It would be ok for people to not get it, if the people who DONT get it were not so seemingly bound and determined to take everyones freedom from them for fear that someone might get their feelings hurt.

geier:
In my oppinion people like Phil Fish and Jennifer Hepler are just wussies. I worked as a bouncer for some time and got death threats on a regular basis.

The guys that threatend me were not stupid little fat fanboys behind their computer, but (mostly) drunken tatooed 6 foot idiots with a criminal record. And i got my threats directly in the face, not over the internet.

So dear game developer/writer, buckle up and stop crying.

And soldiers have angry people with guns threatening them repeatedly. Does that mean that anything less than angry people with guns get to make death threats all they want without consequences because whoever's receiving them needs to just "buckle up and stop crying"? You're in a profession where I'm sure you were aware came with the risks of dealing with angry, stupid people; a writer or developer aren't.

Wow... Jim, we are starting to agree on more and more issues. your 100% right this time.
And seriously, that is how we reward a writter who try something different in the industry? I hear poeple complain about the bioware chart, that they always do the same things, well DA2 they tried something different... and here are the result

Ipsen:

...You've turned your original argument a bit inside-out. If above is a case, why worry about what that loud minority attempts to represent? I'm under the impression you find gaming an ultimately solitary experience (in close agreement myself); what bearing does anyone's input have, loud minority or no, compared to your own, for yourself?

Yes, as much as I'd love an unified gaming community, as far a scope as we tend to reach, you're in the right direction; it really IS just an assumption. A gaming community has to be about more than the games, it has to get the people involved to care for each other, stand up for each other. You'll always have assholes, but stretch the community too wide, and those assholes tend to pick up momentum. I'm reminded of a certain site, in this regard...

You seem to have missed my initial point. I was actually annoyed at Jim's use of "we gamers" when talking about the actions of said tiny minority, as if the actions of said minority in any way represent anything about "gamers". I'd rather not be associated with those people and I find it rather tasteless for Jim to try and get people involved by linking them to those idiots.

C.S.Strowbridge:
I like Microsoft's idea of gamers ranking as a way to quarantine the assholes and maybe that will work and it will be enough.

No, it will not work. How would "gamer rank" correlate to decency as a person? Just look at Facebook comments. The "top ranked" posters are almost always the biggest assholes.

Hell, look at The Escapist forums. People are given higher titles simply based on their volume of posts, even though some of the most prolific posters are the worst. It's impossible to algorithmically determine goodness. People will always game such systems. The only way is to use personal judgement.

Am I surprised that some gamers are like the crazy lady in Misery?
No.
It's sad but I'm not surprised.
Lets see these idiots try and fuck with James Caan.

It's funny how many of the "entitled little shits" mentioned in the video are popping up all over this thread. Opening their mouths and showing just what type of people they really are.

So much "shut up and continue producing so I can consume" with absolutely no grasp of the situation. A lot of people appear to have grasped the point, the rest just drove it home further.

Jim, on the topic of driving home a point, I look forward to seeing your dragon dildo with quivering anticipation. I might have to go back and watch the Mass Effect gay sex narration you did in preparation.

generals3:

You seem to have missed my initial point. I was actually annoyed at Jim's use of "we gamers" when talking about the actions of said tiny minority, as if the actions of said minority in any way represent anything about "gamers". I'd rather not be associated with those people and I find it rather tasteless for Jim to try and get people involved by linking them to those idiots.

It's like bell pointed out - the actions of that minority reflect on that minority, but the reactions of the surrounding majority are what establishes the character of that community. For instance - you say that talking about it over the internet is not going to affect change, and yet you are taking time out of your life to come argue at people that they specifically shouldn't be yelling about these assholes. This tells me two things.

1) You DO in fact believe that talking can affect change, else why would you be talking?

2) You would rather spend your efforts changing the people who want to make the community better instead of changing the people who want to make the community worse.

To wit:

generals3:

And now please tell us what we actually should do?

Choose your battles better. Choose to make it clear to everyone what is and is not acceptable behavior from the community in which you find yourself. If a minority of assholes are being assholes, make sure that they hear that they are assholes, loudly and clearly, and immediately. Don't permit that minority to be the most vocal part of the community. Don't whinge about how pointless the effort is - make the effort anyway. Take the energy you're spending trying to argue with people who want things to improve and use that to argue against people who are being shitheads.

Say to those assholes: "Your behavior is unacceptable." Say to those who agree with Jim: "Keep fighting the good fight."

You have a voice, use it. What's more, use it to do what's right.

WHAAAAAAAT????

You are joking right Jim? This wasn't an actual thing right? You made this up didn't you?

Gamers are living pieces of shit sure. Dragon Age 2 was a gigantic turd roasting in the barbecue sure. However I don't want to believe that when combined these two things created a hate turd so gigantic as to have it send death threats to the children of the writer.

I have never felt the urge to contact a dev personally and let them know just how huge a pile a human scum I am. I save that stuff for forum discussions with other fans and internet reviews of the product. You know the thing that actually sucked balls and has no feelings to hurt or children to threaten?

We need a cleansing in the gaming community. A big swatch from left to right slaying all these subhuman orklings that have mutated from once pleasant children that never grew up because of stunted growth induced by too much cheetos and mountain dew.

You know Jim, the psychopathy of some of the gaming community and, in fact, the internet in general has indeed overboard but, in keeping with the theme here - you know what else has gone overboard? It's the way you handle your dedicated audience; More specifically, the tone with which you address your fans because, let's be honest here, you are pretty much preaching to the choir.

Yes, unfortunately, there aren't a lot of woman-hating, gay-bashing, racist douche bags on the escapist or on destructoid, who might stand to benefit from your last couple of episodes on tolerance. We, your fans, agree that being an internet mouth-breathing asshole isn't the way to go about things. Surely you have to have realized that by now.

So, my question is: Who exactly are you cussing and spitting at in this video and some of the others like it? Because it's not the syphilitic orangutangs that threatened that woman, I can tell you that - they are busy watching call of duty no-scope videos on youtube and posting barely intelligible anecdotes, or masturbating furiously while peeping into the keyhole at their undressing sisters. Even if people like these stumble upon the escapist, I imagine that they are liable to storm out butthurt after they browse the articles for a while and realize that the website does not accommodate people like them, and then head over to n4g to complain about how "gay" our place is.

My beef is that, when I watch a video of someone constantly pointing at me and ranting about what a creep I am, I can't easily reason that you can't be referring to me and people like me specifically, because I and people like me "are the only ones here, so you must be talking to us". Because that's pretty much what a video like this can accomplish on a site like the escapist, which is pissing off people who otherwise agree with you already.

This is not me being offended, this is me being annoyed, like if someone was poking my head with his finger; There is only so much I can take before the chair next to me is going into his face (which is just a metaphor for not watching the show anymore, for whatever little that's worth).

themilo504:
This episode is really kind of pointless, everybody with a brain already knows that this kind of behavior is bad and the rest are too stupid to ever understand that.

Beaten to it...

bells:

How do you manage to process enough oxygen from atop of your stratospheric high-horse?

Pages PREV 1 . . . 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 . . . 16 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here