Games for Windows Die

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Games for Windows Die

The closing of the marketplace is not a big deal. It barely worked and I doubt it did all that much business. Most people didn't buy games through the marketplace. Instead, they bought the game in the store or on Steam and GFWL came along for the ride.

Read Full Article

With at least some of the GFWL tied games there are mods available that will patch your (legitimate) copy of the game so that you can run it normally without the GFWL overlay or lockdown. I did this for my steam copy of Fallout 3 when a GFWL related bug made it unplayable without the mod.

Meanwhile, Yesterday...

Bet Shamus Young was/will be pissed when he finds this comes up after this news story.

Johnson McGee:
With at least some of the GFWL tied games there are mods available that will patch your (legitimate) copy of the game so that you can run it normally without the GFWL overlay or lockdown. I did this for my steam copy of Fallout 3 when a GFWL related bug made it unplayable without the mod.

I've heard of those as well. It seems like the best way for Microsoft to avoid the majority of flak would be to release an official version of that mod (or something similar). Of course, someone and some game will have problems, then there will be another round of complaining, but that can't be helped.

Diablo1099:
Meanwhile, Yesterday...

Bet Shamus Young was/will be pissed when he finds this comes up after this news story.

Shamus's point still stands, since that is only a rumor. Which must never be believed until it actually happens. So when/if Games for Windows Live shuts down, we'll get a reaction most likely.

LordOfInsanity:

Diablo1099:
Meanwhile, Yesterday...

Shamus's point still stands, since that is only a rumor. Which must never be believed until it actually happens. So when/if Games for Windows Live shuts down, we'll get a reaction most likely.

Still, Must be annoying to type up something like that only for something like that to you up.

can't help but feel that the best solution would be to patch GFWL out of the games. This may or may not deny users access to their previously saved games but I think that's a small price to pay.

the best thing about GFWL are bugs that stop you from playing game. for one game i had to edit registry and some game just wont work on windows 2008 r2 :/

about patching GFWL after shutdown... i believe its called crack
only game saves are problem

well there goes my copy of bioshock 2 and fallout 3 eh oh well guess could be worse, guess it really does not matter since lost bioshock 2 disk long ago and fallout 3 i have not played since i got Vegas ultimate edition. i did not really like windows live anyways it was too messed up server wise and support for it technical wise was horrible, and i rather play things on steam anyways.

Last time I checked you can create offline GFWL accounts, so even if the service goes down you can keep playing singleplayer games with little issue, unless GFWL requires a phone home before it will even work.

And, as someone mentioned earlier, there are patches that remove GFWL from at least some games.

Edit:
As for updating the GFWL in games you've already installed, couldn't that be fixed by an installer that either scans for installations of it or lets you tell it where they are, and then update or remove the files, depending on the direction they choose?

GFWL still looks like text speak for "godawful" to me...

I agree with Shamus, this closure/redesign comes at the exact same time that EA is launching their improvements to Origin. With the next gen around the corner existing PC platforms are pushing up the competition.

Honestly I think they'd either have the new steam like software mearly have a compatibility module put in so the older gfwl games calling up gfwl ends up calling its replacement up. Wouldn't be hard for Microsoft to implement. Either that or you can just claim your games on their service by putting your key into an activate system like steam does with physical games.

Diablo1099:
Meanwhile, Yesterday...

Not necessarily, as stated above gfwl being shut down doesn't necessarily mean games will be abandoned.

vun:
Last time I checked you can create offline GFWL accounts, so even if the service goes down you can keep playing singleplayer games with little issue, unless GFWL requires a phone home before it will even work.

Dirt 3 for example will not store your SP campaign progress unless you have an online profile. Stupid, right?

The Batman games at least have gotten Steam achievements. So has Bioshock 2. Some games like Dirt3 have the code set, but those aren't active yet.
GTAIV and Episodes have also appeared with the flag active, although no Achievements exist yet.

I am pretty sure this is the case for more games, so that when GFWL does get mercy-killed, many games will be updated to use Steamworks instead.

I guess the only "dead" games will be Microsoft's own.

proghead:

vun:

Dirt 3 for example will not store your SP campaign progress unless you have an online profile. Stupid, right?

Oh yeah, I have actually played Dirt 3, but I just forgot about Windows Live since it seems Dirt 3 doesn't use the GFWL overlay client. I could be wrong, though, I just seem to remember the online stuff being integrated in the actual game rather than as an annoying overlay.

And yeah, that's pretty stupid. Seems most driving games these days shove online features in your face when you start them, rather than just take you to the menu. Actually plenty of games do this. I miss the days when being taken straight to the menu and given the option to just start playing was the norm. With driving games it seems like you first have to tell them that you don't want an online account, dismiss a dialogue box saying "oh but then your friends won't see your lap times, are you sure you want this?", then get to the menu, then you can finally start navigating the menu and try to find the easiest way to get driving.

GFWL, welcome to the Microsoft brand graveyard, we have Zunes.

Seriously, does anyone else get the feeling that Microsoft is simply incapable of doing anything well, like... at all? I mean, I guess Windows 7 was met with positively, but even that's just for actually being adequate (compared to it's predecessor). Whenever I look at Microsoft products I get the impression they were designed by some alien lifeform that's trying very hard to understand humans and how they think, but just can't quite get it.

PLEASE let GFWL shut down. Sure, I won't be able to play my games without cracks, but the shit storm that would pile on MS is worth it.

Johnson McGee:

Some games, according to my friends who have more GFWL titles than I do, say that some devs have already patched it out.

so you don't even need to crack it, in some cases. Hopefully, nobody will.

Ive always hated third party DRM on my already DRMed Steam titles.

Diablo1099:
Meanwhile, Yesterday...

And that was my first thought, but as people mentioned there Shamus mentioned here and I'll mention again now, they just brought on Jason Holtman. It seems unlikely they're actually shutting down 4 realz.

A relaunch seems more likely, and I've seen comments that more recent games are going Steamworks.

LordOfInsanity:

I don't know, that information was awful specific.

Calling it a rumour at this point seems like the very slightest of ass-covering. Like the Obama administration's "alleged" drone strikes killing civilians. Or the plant people from Mars.

...Oh dear, I've said too much.

neppakyo:
PLEASE let GFWL shut down. Sure, I won't be able to play my games without cracks, but the shit storm that would pile on MS is worth it.

IT would also keep future games off the platform, which strikes me as "for the greater good" at this point.

Killing GFWL is the lesser evil if you ask me.

Yeah it would be somewhat sad not to be able to play games which currently use GFWL, but in all honesty, I would rather see the entire service die than have future games with that shit service. If the price for killing GFWL is that I lose the ability to play all the games which have used it... then so be it.

Shamus Young:
snip

Honestly, I don't care if it goes down, I already can't play the GFWL games I have (Both Arkham games, Dark Souls, DoW2) due to the non extant customer support. I would kinda like to know why I can't log in anymore after all.

If they are trying to fix it, I don't Envy the guy his job, and while good luck to him an all that, I'm not holding my breath for any worth while improvements. So yeah, lump me in with 'KILL IT' crowd.

So what about third party programs that purport to remove GFWL from the program?
Like how our installation of FO3is at the moment. If they ever did shut the service down, would we still be unaffected, or would it brick the game anyway?

piinyouri:
So what about third party programs that purport to remove GFWL from the program?
Like how our installation of FO3is at the moment. If they ever did shut the service down, would we still be unaffected, or would it brick the game anyway?

In FO3's case, it will make you move your save.

If you mod the thing and use the script extender (as you should), you're already bypassing the overlay (this was the case last time I used it), and won't need to change a thing.

What about games that can be bought on Steam but still require GFWL, like the Dawn of War 2 series? With steam already running the games, would it be too difficult for Relic to work with Valve and patch out the GFWL and just let Steam launch the games?

Windows! Modular! I almost died laughing. What a concept! Shamus you are a funny, funny man.

Have you ever SEEN a trace of almost anything running MS code? Because modular does not cover the horror of intermingled code that is essential non-functionality of anything produced by the Bozos From Redmond (drum roll with a side shot). Horrible code, little to no awareness of security (despite their much PR-ed efforts) all driven by a need to make it only good enough to hit the closest milestone which never includes not actually crashing.

Now imagining the lower level dregs of MS programmers that generated the original will be replicated with the new team. GFWL is a low-level, low-life rip-off driven by marketing. They will not have access to decent resources. That company does not let good programmers go to crap projects.

Although, to be honest, good programming and Microsoft should have a punch line.

I think I have an idea of where this is going. I noticed today that my GFWL achievements are showing up in the Xbox modern app(or metro or windows 8, whatever). So call me crazy but it sounds like MS will simply merge everything under the xbox name and end up with a big store that offers everything.

Smaller, less intrusive and more user control is better. Unfortunately I'm sure that the next iteration of GFWL will be even larger, more intrusive and give you little to no control over it.

Aleas:
I think I have an idea of where this is going. I noticed today that my GFWL achievements are showing up in the Xbox modern app(or metro or windows 8, whatever). So call me crazy but it sounds like MS will simply merge everything under the xbox name and end up with a big store that offers everything.

I suspected that as well, makes sense really to replace GFWL with their new system. Now how that effects windows 7 users.....

lacktheknack:

piinyouri:

In FO3's case, it will make you move your save.

If you mod the thing and use the script extender (as you should), you're already bypassing the overlay (this was the case last time I used it), and won't need to change a thing.

Ah okay, that's good to hear.
And yeah we installed everything. Followed a guide to the tee, all that.
This isnt my first Bethesda modding experience. (Though FO3 behaves far differently then to say Morrowind or Oblivion then I ever thought it would)

I guess I was worried it was just "hiding' the UI for GFWL so if it ever did go out of commission it might still affect the games ability to play.

proghead:

vun:

Yeah its the same thing for Batman Arkham City. I fact if you have windows 8 there is a glitch where GFWL won't open for the game and you have to reinstall GFWL and download a patch.

The only game that I ever bought that used GFWL, was Fallout 3[1]. And guess what, the service didn't start up at any point during the time I've played FO3.

In the end, GFWL was broken, and thanks to that, so where most games that used GFWL, if you didn't immediately find a crack for them.

What Microsoft should indeed do, is deliver a version of the main GFWL redistributable that makes all online account requirements disappear, allowing people to still actually play the games dependent on the service.

[1] [EDIT]Oh god, got FlatOut and Fallout confused again.

I don't think I've paid more than $5 for a game that runs GFWL, and while I might miss some of those games I could live with the system being scrapped. I'm sure there are some work arounds like the Fallout 3 one for at least a few of them.

GFWL shutting down totally might not break as many games as you think. Fallout 3 modders made a fake GFWL dll that you drop in the Fallout 3 folder and the game runs happily without GFWL. As pointed out above Fallout Mod Manager and FOSE include it and enable it by default. This or a similar method would probably work for any GFWL game that allows you to save in an alternate, non-GFWL location. Some other games might be screwed, though.

This was probably the first mod released for Fallout 3, apart from the nude mods, of course.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here