Jim & Yahtzee's Rhymedown Spectacular: About The Drought

Pages 1 2 NEXT

About The Drought

Put on your poetry hats and join two of the greatest wordsmiths of our generation as they fill your ears with verse.

Watch Video

Does the "summer games drought" actually bother any consumers? I know people in the business have less to do (fewer reviews and guides, etc.), but most people I know are happy to play the dozens of great games they missed during the last year or so, now priced much more attractively.

Hah, both great yet again. Does this mean Yahtzee doesn't feel the need to do a Zero Punctuation on Saints Row IV then? The poem pretty much summed up his feelings. Jim's got funnier as it went along, and it was nice that it wasn't too creepy this time, I was starting to wonder if that was going to keep escalating.

Sorry, the context of Jim's poem is completely lost on me.

After EA's conference yesterday, I do have to say Jim's was more "current" but again I enjoyed them both :D

Gotta love those EmotionsTM

Jim's poem don't have enough polygons to be emotional, he should work on the graphic quality on his videos, not the writing.

Not enough polygons in Jim's poem.

Thunderous Cacophony:
Does the "summer games drought" actually bother any consumers? I know people in the business have less to do (fewer reviews and guides, etc.), but most people I know are happy to play the dozens of great games they missed during the last year or so, now priced much more attractively.

enough people complain that it must bother consumers to some extent. And keep in mind, while catching up on old games sounds good, a lot of gamers only want what's new now because reasons.

canadamus_prime:

That's because you have no emotions. If you had emotions, you would understand the emotions.

Goliath100:
Jim's poem don't have enough polygons to be emotional, he should work on the graphic quality on his videos, not the writing.

Holy crap, you must have posted this joke literally SECONDS before me.

Loving that David Cage, Jim. Wonderful as usual.

I'm going to stop thinking of this as a competition with both participants doing such good work.

Lightknight:
I'm going to stop thinking of this as a competition with both participants doing such good work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHK2BLoQ3YI

I see a full circle in Yahtzee's behavior. When Zero Punctuation was starting out along with the new console generation he was bitter and harsh the same way he is now. He got softer around the time Human Revolution and The Darkness came out but now I don't get anything but cynicism out of his poems and reviews.
Jim's super subtle message reminded me that Beyond was coming out soon. I hope David Cage tones down the nonsense in this game but considering that the story is about Ellen Page being obsessed by a demon I doubt that would be the case.

Jim's poem made me weep and laugh with joy and sorrow... Of course if I hadn't been watching in high resolution I'm sure it would have sucked

Jim, how can you be emotions if you're not polygons?

Watching Jim's poems, I rarely don't get the faint impression he'd jump through the screen to strangle me, giggling like Gannondorf, with the general look and his delivery. Somehow this makes them more fun to watch.

Jimothy Sterling:

Lightknight:

Would you say that post made you feel emotions?

Amazing, both of you. Probably the greatest two creations of this generation.

Jimothy Sterling:

Lightknight:

Are you the Messiah? Or just a very naughty boy?

I liked the part where Jim said the word "emotions"

It really spoke to me and gave me more polygons making me more emotional.

Quite liked Yahtzee's this week.

I swear Jim can't say "emotion" any more without a hint of his David Cage. Or maybe that's me reading hearing things in to this.

After Jim's poem, the only thing I have stuck in my head is the image of the love child of David Cage and Steve Ballmer.

Look I know Jim is being ironic. He's pretending to be a hyper fan, like a fan of that God awful Last of Us or something. And in so doing, show the absurdity of being so fanatic. My problem is that its hard to tell the difference between arrogantly ironic Jim and regular Jim. If you want to take his poem and use it as a critic of his entire series...it kinda' fits...

Jimothy Sterling:

Lightknight:

Hah, with a term like "Rhymedown" in the title it wasn't an immediate decision. But man, I've been loving these lately, yours and Ben's. I don't know how you guys got together and decided to do this but I'm glad it happened.

Dear Management: I think there's something a bit off with the audio in the last few Rhymedown episodes, and I find it a bit distracting. I'm hearing artifacts in the higher frequencies that bear a resemblance to over-compression. I hear it mostly when sibilants are uttered, and it seems worse with Yahtzee's videos (though Jim's has them, too). However, the audio track on the published video is roughly 128Kbit AAC which normally sounds great, so the distortion, if any, must be happening upstream. (It could also be due to transcoding through multiple compressed formats.)

I don't have anything close to "golden ears," so if I can hear it, it must be glaringly obvious to nearly everyone else. You might want to check your media sources and processing pipeline to see if anything's squishing things down beyond reason.

Poem of the year, Jim!

Haha, best Jim poem in weeks! I was expecting that to go in a different direction, but man those polygons were flowing at the end we had to start defending the beginning of his poem. Err, I meant emotions.

At this rate I feel bad for anyone who wants to polish up their character models, as they might just get stereotyped and locked in the Cage cages. Poor Jim, I know he could care less about what a game looks like, but pretty soon the retro-8-Bit-or-else fanatics will start using him as their banner man.

Zachary Amaranth:

canadamus_prime:

That's because you have no emotions. If you had emotions, you would understand the emotions.

Yeah, that must be it.

I was a little confused by Yahtzee's poem today. I thought he'd be overjoyed to play Saints' Row 4, until I watched his review for the 3rd game, so he must think it's abandoned its sandbox crime-game roots. Still bitter he can't get "The World Has Yet To Recognize My Genius" off the ground, I think.

Balkan:
I hope David Cage tones down the nonsense in this game but considering that the story is about Ellen Page being obsessed by a demon I doubt that would be the case.

I dunno. If it goes batshit insane and makes no sense at least that might be entertaining.

I liked Fahrenheit, it was funny. Heavy Rain just bored me.

This was great. The summer games drought was something of concern to me, until I realised that this is the ideal time to catch up on some older games I never played a lot, like AssCreed II, The Witcher 2, Venetica, Kingdoms of Amalur and some others, as well as some newer ones like Dust 514.

Jim's parody of David Cage's style of talking was even better than Yahtzee's descriptive poem, it made fun of the guy while not insulting the games he makes.

That was better than last week, Jim. Even if it was basically a rehash of your David Gaider skit.

Seriously, I just don't understand the people that say they don't like these videos. Maybe it's because I've got an English degree and I'm a creative writer myself, but I've found pretty much every one of these poems to be enjoyable on numerous different levels. Sure, there's been a few "meh"s on both sides of the coin, but all in all I think that this is just further evidence to the argument that Jim and Yahtzee are the two best writers on The Escapist.

Silentpony:
Look I know Jim is being ironic. He's pretending to be a hyper fan, like a fan of that God awful Last of Us or something. And in so doing, show the absurdity of being so fanatic. My problem is that its hard to tell the difference between arrogantly ironic Jim and regular Jim. If you want to take his poem and use it as a critic of his entire series...it kinda' fits...

I'll just leave this here...

PrimePowerOn:

Silentpony:

I'll just leave this here...

It doesn't quite fit here because we know it's a reference to The God of Emotions, Mr. David "Polygons" Cage. Jim isn't referring to himself - he can *actually* inspire emotion when he wants to. Mostly amusement, sometimes anger. And he doesn't even have to tell us he's doing it!

"Papers Please" is a sh*t game and Jim's polygon count was too low to connect with me on a emotional level.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here