Escape to the Movies: The World's End

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

The World's End

MovieBob takes us to the end of the world with his review of The World's End.

Watch Video

I first saw a trailer for this move on youtube a few months back, since then there was nothing about it, no commercial spots that I saw, hell, few mentions on websites.

Glad to know it's good though, I'll have to pick it up on DVD later on since our local theater has a hard on for playing movies that have been released eight months ago.

So this is The Stepford Wives in UK, with pubs. Sounds pretty good, I'll check it out when it trickles down to south america.

I'm honestly looking forward to seeing this. I like the source material a lot better than I did for Hot Fuzz, so I imagine I'll enjoy this one a lot more, but we'll see. I thoroughly enjoyed Shaun of the Dead, it was a great movie overall, besides being very funny. Now the trick is getting my girlfriend to see it with me.

Well, you liked it better then I when I saw it. I was not convinced with the chemistry of the crowd, the friendship they supposed to of had just did not excist for me and that kept poking me in the ribs like a five year old who's just seen the puppy and firework factory was having a sale.... And the end was total balls. I hate that 1st world techno fear ballshit. Gods i really hate that stupid shit.

Simon Pegg as Ant Man may be one of the few things that could possibly cause me to go see that movie.

I thought the movie was definitely up there with Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz (the latter of which being in my Top 5 favorite movies of all time), right up until the end, where they kind of lost me at...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against that message being made, and I think it might have worked if they had so much as brought up that theme at any point earlier in the movie. My problem was that they tried to cram the whole thing into literally the last 5 minutes of the movie, with no more time to flesh it out and explore it, meaning it just came off as completely hollow.

Other than that though, a must see, and I particularly agree with Bob about how well the Pegg/Frost role reversal worked.

I loved it when I went to see it and I also agree that it is Simon Pegg's best performance.

Ghonzor:
Simon Pegg as Ant Man may be one of the few things that could possibly cause me to go see that movie.

Same here. If Pegg plays Ant-man I will go see it but if not I will likly skip it/wait for bluray. I just don't give a shit about Ant-man and I never have.

I definitely want to see Worlds End and You're Next in theaters tomorrow. Both look amazing. kinda bummed that Moviebob only covered Worlds End in his Escape to the Movies video review but only offered a written review for You're Next in his Intermission article. I wish Escapist would allow Bob to do double feature video reviews, especially when two good movies like this pop up.

And, yes, do not toy with my feelings, Mr. Pegg. I'm still trying to comprehend the news of Ben Affleck being picked to play Batman in the upcoming Superman/Batman movie. Although having Simon Pegg play Hank Pym would be awesome. I just wanna know who would be Janet Van Dyne/Wasp if that was the case. Would she be much younger and how would the dynamic between the two work out?

Ghonzor:

I'll see it anyway, but Pegg would be a huge bonus. Ant Man could have one of the most interesting stories, not all threats have to be world ending.

When Bob said "Don't toy with me" all I could think of was a MovieBob action figure and an Ant Man action figure doing battle.

The entirety of all recommendations for this movie: did you like Shawn of the Dead and/or Hot Fuzz? Then you'll like this movie...

Great film, though living in the town it was filmed in made it a slightly creepy experience.

I definitely didn't enjoy it as much as Hot Fuzz, but since that's my favourite movie of all time I can let that slide. I do think it would definitely benefit from multiple viewings though, which is to be expected of course.

I actually watched the first two films in the Cornetto trilogy over the past two days. I'm a bit too busy to go see The World's End, but believe me, I will be very sad to miss it. I like how the films are part comedy, part sincere examination of a small group of characters and how they grow as the plot unfolds around them. This is the way I think comedy should be done, with a genuine focus on what's going on and who the main characters are, with the jokes almost taking a back seat.

Loved Shaun of the Dead, struggled a bit with Hot Fuzz - I guess I kept thinking it should be funnier like Shaun was to me. But this one I really want to take in at a movie house.

I guess the news about Ben Afflect as Batman came out too late for MovieBob to put in his little outro bits.

That was my thought as well after seeing it it was good but hot fuzz was better.

Simon Pegg as Ant Man in an ingenious piece of casting.

Please let it be true.

Oh wow, didn't know anything like this was coming out. I knew it had to be good just by looking at the line-up.

To me not as good as Hot Fuzz but better than Shaun of the Dead and the first of the three were I really, really want a direct sequel.

wait, act two?

You think they're going to do another trilogy....?

luvd1:
Well, you liked it better then I when I saw it. I was not convinced with the chemistry of the crowd, the friendship they supposed to of had just did not excist for me and that kept poking me in the ribs like a five year old who's just seen the puppy and firework factory was having a sale.... And the end was total balls. I hate that 1st world techno fear ballshit. Gods i really hate that stupid shit.

ehhh, I think that was the point. Garry was completely estranged from all of them, and the rest of them didn't seem to have kept in contact /that/ much with each other. The chemistry was there, just it was distant, which worked in context that they hadn't really been together as a group and done that sort of thing in years.

Plus I don't think the techno fear was supposed to be a message, Pegg/Wright/Frost are all massive Sci Fi geeks, to the point where if they could afford it, they'd likely be investing in R&D of hoverboards. It seemed more like a "fuck you" to homogeneous bull crap, the idea of watering things down or changing them to fit in with the whole, removing any semblance of uniqueness that they had so they'll fit in. It's a theme that is presented early on in the film with the pubs being all chain bars, as opposed to local pubs, Kings argument with the thing at the end just felt like the culmination of that rather than techno fear. Of course it had some rather shite consequences (no more cornettos!) though.

I haven't read up on the people involved, so why is Paul not counted as one of their movies?

This sure was a dead-serious sounding review of a COMEDY. Bob, you didn't bring up much about the jokes which Pegg, Frost, and Wright are known for. As for Pegg as Ant-Man, YES PLEASE! In that photo of him pointing at Ant-Man, which cover of which issue of Secret Avengers was that? I know it'd from Secret Avengers because I recognized Beast, Black Widow, Vision, and the Eric O'Grady Ant-Man.

I dunno if I'd want to see Simon Pegg as Hank Pym. I just don't see him pulling that role off very well, despite how much I love Pegg.

HOWEVER, since I remember reading that the Ant-Man movie is actually going to contain two stories. One of Hank Pym in the sixties and the other of Scott Lang in the more present day (essentially making Lang the one who will be teaming up with The Avengers we know and love) I DO think Pegg would be good for Lang.

Then all we need is for Eric O'Grady to show up as the disgruntled SHIELD employee he started out as in Agents of SHIELD and we've got the Ant-Men covered :P

elvor0:

luvd1:

ehhh, I think that was the point. Garry was completely estranged from all of them, and the rest of them didn't seem to have kept in contact /that/ much with each other. The chemistry was there, just it was distant, which worked in context that they hadn't really been together as a group and done that sort of thing in years.

Plus I don't think the techno fear was supposed to be a message, Pegg/Wright/Frost are all massive Sci Fi geeks, to the point where if they could afford it, they'd likely be investing in R&D of hoverboards. It seemed more like a "fuck you" to homogeneous bull crap, the idea of watering things down or changing them to fit in with the whole, removing any semblance of uniqueness that they had so they'll fit in. It's a theme that is presented early on in the film with the pubs being all chain bars, as opposed to local pubs, Kings argument with the thing at the end just felt like the culmination of that rather than techno fear. Of course it had some rather shite consequences (no more cornettos!) though.

You missunderstand my post. I'm talking about the acting. It's like when an actor does comedy. There's a difference between being funny and acting funny, it's a sort of uncanny valley. At no point did I believe in their characters being "alive", so could not invest in the back story. They were as unreal as the dups. And I'm not tlking about the message at the end, . I mean the actual ending after kings speech. When... You know

That stuff really gets on my goat.

Piorn:
I haven't read up on the people involved, so why is Paul not counted as one of their movies?

Coz wright wasn't involved. None of that crowd was. It just stared pegg and frost.

I saw this a couple of weeks back since it released in the UK before the US. I enjoyed it, but do agree it's probably the weakest of the trilogy. Still awesome though.

Also, I will NOT watch You're Next. I like supernatural horror, but I can't stand movies about murderers, killers and psychopaths.

NinjaDeathSlap:
I thought the movie was definitely up there with Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz (the latter of which being in my Top 5 favorite movies of all time), right up until the end, where they kind of lost me at...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against that message being made, and I think it might have worked if they had so much as brought up that theme at any point earlier in the movie. My problem was that they tried to cram the whole thing into literally the last 5 minutes of the movie, with no more time to flesh it out and explore it, meaning it just came off as completely hollow.

Other than that though, a must see, and I particularly agree with Bob about how well the Pegg/Frost role reversal worked.

You see, I thought the final message was

I see where you're coming from but I don't agree that's what they were going for.

saw it today. it was a good movie, but I would say I did enjoy Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz better.

This week I would strongly recomend Blue Jasmine for those who also like every-day dramas. Great movie! And Cate Blanchett gives this years (probarbly) best acting performance in it.

So, wait... alien indoctrination comes with hot school girls hitting on you? Interesting...

luvd1:

That stuff really gets on my goat.

Keep in mind how much stuff is run by the Internet and computers these days. The world economy would probably crash into the ground and dig a ten mile trench if you suddenly eliminated it from our lives.

You've got blue on you.

I reckon this was great; maybe not as good as Hot Fuzz, but still right up there. If you liked the first two (or comedy films in general) definitely go see it.

This is like the film equivalent of Portal 2, the only bad thing anybody has to say, is that its predecessors were peerless and this was merely excellent.

I agree with Bob, the weakest of the Cornetto Trilogy, which is hardly a complaint. It's a very good film but the ghost of its predecessors nagged at me throughout.

Anybody else think the ending was kind of like...

Crispee:

Anybody else think the ending was kind of like...

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here