The Escapist Show: Episode 10: Party Games

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Episode 10: Party Games

This week, we take you to The Escapist's New Year's Eve party for party games, Film Festival Honorable Mention: Before You Pressed Start, and a preview of Zero Punctuation.

This week's musical guests:
Ian Dorsch - "The Escapist Show Theme"
DJ Drunken Master - "Super Fly Mix"

Watch Video

How did they even play You're in the Movies without vomiting blood?

Edit, forgot to say, was that Russ that went that high pitch? I couldn't go that high unless I was kicked in the nuts!

Wow, "Your in the Movies" looked amazingly bad. I was also amused by the fact that Susan apparently doesn't show up on the camera, does she posess some sort of cloaking abilities?

PedroSteckecilo:
Wow, "Your in the Movies" looked amazingly bad. I was also amused by the fact that Susan apparently doesn't show up on the camera, does she posess some sort of cloaking abilities?

She's in several shots, and Russ even introduces her at one point. ;)

I, however, managed to hide in the background and not drunkenly sing! There's a few camera pans that show most everyone though.

Edit: Yeah, I heard from a few people about playing In the Movies earlier in the day and it was a fairly terrible gaming experience. However, if the camera actually worked for it, it might even be fun at some point.

Apple juice? Only if apples are 60% proof. ;)

To be fair, You're In the Movies doesn't always work that poorly. We tested it here in the office, and the integration of the player into the movie trailer was perfect. The lighting at the party wasn't particularly conducive to good filming, though...which is unfortunate, given that your average party isn't that well-lit, and it's a party game.

Also, I mad sneak fu. Catching me on camera is pretty tricky.

A-ha is catchy.

I make no excuses.

The Escapist had a New Year's Eve party? Actually, I was wondering, do you guys have an office somewhere? I presume you do, but then what do I know?

Happy new year! Well a little late... but still...

Kross:

PedroSteckecilo:

I, however, managed to hide in the background and not drunkenly sing! There's a few camera pans that show most everyone though.

Edit: Yeah, I heard from a few people about playing In the Movies earlier in the day and it was a fairly terrible gaming experience. However, if the camera actually worked for it, it might even be fun at some point.

No, then it would be Eyetoy.

Bunch of crazy people right here.

These videos are highly entertaining, good show.

Happy new year! I hope you guys didn't get to sauced on "apple juice."

That your in the movies game didn't work to well. The iMac has the same feature though and you need a background of a consistent colour, like a green screen or a wall. It could be the same with the Your In The Movies.

Russ has quite the high pitched singing voice doesn't he :P

sv93:
Russ has quite the high pitched singing voice doesn't he :P

I was raised on the BeeGees.

Happy New Year, guys. Looks like you had something approximating fun.

Indigo_Dingo:

Kross:

PedroSteckecilo:

Wow, do you ever take a break Dingo? Ever?

I thought the party stuff was very funny (haha, what's Russ' hosting level?), but the Doom video totally bored me. It was funny seeing random floating parts of you guys during "You're in the Movies".

Russ Pitts:

Yeah, the BeeGees were a good band.

nilcypher:

Indigo_Dingo:

Kross:

PedroSteckecilo:

Wow, do you ever take a break Dingo? Ever?

I see that game and I immediately recognised it as Eyetoy with poor visibility - do you honestly think they are majorly different?

A thought experiment - if you had not been able to see the 360 in the corner, or used the 360 controller, would you have been able to tell the difference? Most reports or footage I have seen says no.

Like I said earlier, the camera isn't always that bad. However, I will also say that while watching the B-movie trailer at the end is a hoot, the games and posing you have to endure to get to it is an utter chore. The games aren't fun - maybe good for an embarrassed giggle or two, but that's about it. You don't play them so much as put up with them. If you really want your party guests to have fun, go with Lips or SingStar.

I enjoyed the show! And now I know never to buy "You're in the Movies"! Thank you very much!

Russ Pitts:

Barry Gibb for the win.

CantFaketheFunk:
A-ha is catchy.

I make no excuses.

I agree. Look up "Take On Me literal version."

Damien the Pigeon:
I enjoyed the show! And now I know never to buy "You're in the Movies"! Thank you very much!

Russ Pitts:

Barry Gibb for the win.

Susan pretty much nailed it. The minigames are just a convenient excuse to get your friends to look silly on camera. The edge detection algorithm the game uses is a novel piece of code, but until they are willing to include a suitable chroma keying material in the package, the B movie at the end is just barely worth all the hard work of playing the game.

CaptainCrunch:

Damien the Pigeon:

Russ Pitts:

Barry Gibb for the win.

Susan pretty much nailed it. The minigames are just a convenient excuse to get your friends to look silly on camera. The edge detection algorithm the game uses is a novel piece of code, but until they are willing to include a suitable chroma keying material in the package, the B movie at the end is just barely worth all the hard work of playing the game.

Or perhaps the purpose of the game is to make you look stupid to entertain the people around you. How many people enjoyed watching you flail awkwardly?

And how does the custom soundtrack thingy for Lips fair anyway? Does it really just try to appropriate the lyrics, leading to some truly hilarious mondegreens?

CantFaketheFunk:
A-ha is catchy.

I make no excuses.

The somewhat high pitched melodies of A-ha never cease to satisfy my musical cravings.

Indigo_Dingo:

CaptainCrunch:

Or perhaps the purpose of the game is to make you look stupid to entertain the people around you. How many people enjoyed watching you flail awkwardly?

I don't need a video game to look stupid, or flail awkwardly. That happens on a daily basis. Besides, they don't let sound guys play camera games. It's a rule or something.

CaptainCrunch:

Indigo_Dingo:

CaptainCrunch:

I don't need a video game to look stupid, or flail awkwardly. That happens on a daily basis. Besides, they don't let sound guys play camera games. It's a rule or something.

Yeah, I hate to say it, particularly because we made their game look bad on film, but the half hour or so we spent playing that game felt like an interminable waste of time for all involved, including the bystanders. And "getting" to participate when it was your turn felt like being called on at the DMV. A little more effort put into making the mini-games engaging and fun would go a long way, I think.

Cool, thanks, now I have "Take on Me" stuck in my head.

...I'll be gone in a day or two...

The sound quality wasn't great, at least I think it was the sound quality, either that or the escapist staff aren't born singer superstars...nah! must be the first one...

Damien the Pigeon:

Russ Pitts:

Barry Gibb for the win.

CantFaketheFunk:
A-ha is catchy.

I make no excuses.

"Pipe Wrench Fight" is the greatest lyric ever written.

carnkhan4:
The sound quality wasn't great, at least I think it was the sound quality, either that or the escapist staff aren't born singer superstars...nah! must be the first one...

You are correct, sir! There is no possibility it's because we are in any way subpar singers!

PedroSteckecilo:

Damien the Pigeon:

Russ Pitts:

Barry Gibb for the win.

CantFaketheFunk:
A-ha is catchy.

I make no excuses.

"Pipe Wrench Fight" is the greatest lyric ever written.

Yes indeed. Except I also like "I'm gonna kick some ass with my own pipe wrench."

Susan Arendt:
Maybe gravy maybe mash potato...

Thank you for making my day better with this video. I think it may actually be better than the literal version.

Tut tut.

No Guitar Hero: World Tour?

Don't you see it as a party game?

I had a bunch of family friends over around new year and we all had a great time on World Tour!

Better than "You're In The Movies" by a long shot!

Nice video, I don't think I'll be going near any of those games. Liked last weeks video more, but you could hardly improve much on that.

Susan Arendt:
Maybe gravy maybe mash potato...

Thanks for sharing this, its a great video.

GeneralTrivium:
No Guitar Hero: World Tour?

Most of our parties include Rock Band. This was a rare exception :P

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook