Free Radicals

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Free Radicals

False advertising.

Read Full Article

I think that a lot of people have a shallow understanding of radical feminism (there's something called the patriarchy, and it's about men oppressing women)and they object to the idea that men are consciously trying to oppress women.

But what do I know? In my mind, everyone described as radical looks like this.

Heh, I'm not gonna lie, that was pretty funny.

You do know that this thread is going to explode now though, right?

erttheking:

*grabs popcorn*

OT: Pretty funny. Reminds me of a lot of people I know from uni.

erttheking:

Better get them flameshields up and the sausages ready, this is gonna be good.

Thunderous Cacophony:
I think that a lot of people have a shallow understanding of radical feminism (there's something called the patriarchy, and it's about men oppressing women)and they object to the idea that men are consciously trying to oppress women.

Now that was awesome. xD

So is The Escapist just going "hey guys we need more traffic, make stuff that's guaranteed to create arguments" to their content creators now?

Does it really make a difference if you know what the person is talking about? Whather they call them radical or extreme, you know what they mean by the context in which it is used.

inb4 the radical feminists come to take our penises away.

Smokey bacon crisps also have free radicals, but they're more carcinogenic than they are politically minded.

Erin and Poochie the dog, separated at birth CONFIRMED.

I want to say that there's no way something like this'll get derailed into a rampant feminism thread - but I just don't know any more with this site. Can we please take this one in humour? Please?

Okay, I am curious. Enlighten me what a radical feminist is. I'll admit I do tend to associate them as females who associate their exploitation with men, with the declaration that it's something built into men to do. This is in contrast to liberal feminists and Marxist feminists. I don't tend to associate the "radical" part with extreme or edgy, just the full label to what I've learnt about them. Things like political lesbianism. If you want a comparison to what I tend to associate radical feminism with, this quote by Ann Oakley is a good representation: "Men are the enemies of women. Promising sublime intimacy, unequalled passion, amazing security and grace, they nevertheless exploit and injure in a myriad subtle ways. Without men the world would be a better place: softer, kinder, more loving; calmer, quieter, more humane. "

The knowledge you have is the liquid, and I am the sponge.

hazabaza1:
So is The Escapist just going "hey guys we need more traffic, make stuff that's guaranteed to create arguments" to their content creators now?

You're a few months late. They started doing that with "OH, I HEARD THIS SHERRIFF SAID VIDYA GAYMS ARE LINKED TO VIOLENCE, UH, NEWS WORTHY!". Currently now there's a nice big chunky news story about a kid who shot his grandmother being linked to GTA IV. Naturally, everyone is losing their shit, The Escapist is making a lot of money from ad-revenue and the staff is learning a lot from what Fox News does.

Daystar Clarion:

Well, we have to sacrifice SOMETHING to Shub-Niggurath, The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young, and we have been running short on aborted fetuses lately...

I don't really see how anyone could be offended by this comic...

I mean it is just a male writer using a strawman argument to make a spurious issue out of said strawman's semantic error of mixing up 2 definitions rooted in the same issue, and wheeling out a reference to a dated colloquial term that will register a humour response out of the demographic of readers, with a punchline so disconnected from the set-up as to make you wonder why he picked that paticular issue at all. Except of course, knowing hot button topics generate views...

Neeeeooooooo way anyone will get upset about this comic, no sir.

Teoes:

I want to say that there's no way something like this'll get derailed into a rampant feminism thread - but I just don't know any more with this site. Can we please take this one in humour? Please?

Erin should be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine.

Yeah, this comic was pretty entertaining but it doesn't make any sense. Why can't "radical" mean "extreme" in "this context?" I mean, I'm not one of those people that think there's a plague of radical feminists out to take over the world, but I don't see any problem with the semantics.

Yeah, that's some radical feminism right there. Totally radical!

Thunderous Cacophony:

I'd say the patriarchy is much more of a subconscious thing.

I agree that link is totes radical.

Radical is like bodacious, a word i should use more often.

It's easier to blame the "patriarchy", than to blame ourselves.
We like to think there is a shady council, with sinister looking men of power, secretly pulling the strings of the world and making all the bad things happen.
We do it al the time. We do it with Sexism, and we do it with Feminism.
It makes us feel comfortable, because we convince ourself that it's not our fault everything sucks.
That there is someone to blame.
But in reality, each of us is just one drop in an ocean of bad things, and all we can do is try to do our best.

I saw Free Radical and I expected a comic on Timesplitters. I am disappointed.

Hey guys what's this thread about?

GREY WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH THIS YOU HAVE SUMMONED THEM:

Oh god when they get here there's no knowing what they will do to us they could destroy the Escapist!!!

DAMMIT It's too late:

Why-why does this always happen to us why :(

We have to get out of here quickly everyone abandon this thread:

I agree with radical feminism opposing patriarchy, but I don't necessarily agree with the breaking down of ALL the gender roles. I also haven't thought about any other ways to go about opposing patriarchy other than by breaking down traditional gender roles. So I have contributed nothing. Nothing!

Exactly! Been saying this for ages.

Piorn:
We like to think there is a shady council, with sinister looking men of power, secretly pulling the strings of the world and making all the bad things happen.
It makes us feel comfortable, because we convince ourself that it's not our fault everything sucks.
But in reality, each of us is just one drop in an ocean of bad things, and all we can do is try to do our best.

Um, yes. Which is more or less exactly what the Patriarchy is. Nobody says it's a shadowy conspiracy except when constructing strawfeminists.

So does she still suffer from seeing video game characters or must we suffer shallow social commentary from now on?

Piorn:

Ya know, patriarchy refers to the traditional "man of the house" gender role situation, right?

Radical feminism... not all that radical really. Not to be confused with New Radical Feminism.
Read more at http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comics/critical-miss/10548-Free-Radicals?utm_source=latest&utm_medium=index_carousel&utm_campaign=all#d7Cz89b2Mk5PslYc.99

Ah, man, I hope New Radical Feminism doesn't later peddle back to regular Radical Feminism and lable it "Radical Feminism Classic" so they can sell it at a higher price. That'd suck.

hazabaza1:

The funny thing is that the more controversial comics/articles usually have more "inb4 arguments" comments than the actual comments that take offense to said comic or article. I saw this one thread that had 2 straight pages of "Prepare for shitstorm" gifs, after which the shitstorm never occurred.

Oh, lord, Maybe that's Escapist's traffic plan: To start a controversial topic that generates a wave of people feverishly expecting a flamewar that may or may not come... leading to guaranteed hits! It makes so little sense it must be true. I'm on to you, Escapist!

madhousezack:

Teoes:

Erin should be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine.

I have to go now. My planet needs me

I was, more in hope than anything else, expecting a TimeSplitters comic, or perhaps even Second Sight.

Gotta say, I like the guy's shirt.

Also, Grey, this comic is pretty...

... radical.

hazabaza1:

To be fair, the authors of Crit Miss are always on a hair trigger when it comes to complaining about sexism stuff. Its their go to thing when they got nothin else I think.

Should have been made out of straw. :B

Radical seems to work in terms of extreme or unusual sub groups of feminists as well as anything else really. Assuming that is the feminists that are the subject of this comic are indeed radical and departing from the norm. Such feminists may also be departing from reality, basic biology and logic at the same time.

I tend to think of the feminists that are the subject of the comic as ivory tower feminists instead. Many people I know think video games as a feminist non issue, that lack of clothing on the female characters is tacky but not misogyny and that games are just slow to adapt to newer markets. I am inclined to agree with them.

Thunderous Cacophony:

Actually, they tend to object to the notion of women oppressing men. Because that's totes what feminism is.

Personally, I prefer tubular feminism.

erttheking:

I'm pretty sure they busted out their satirising stick for this one. ;)

hazabaza1:

Who else is doing this? I mean, the closest I can come in the shows I watch on here is Jim Sterling, and he's always been a bit of an iconoclast.

Then again, most of the rest of the shows I watch involve LRR, and they're too Canadian to offend anyone.

Unless you hate Canadia. In which case, they're sorry.

Daystar Clarion:

Too late! Your wang has been NINJAD!

Lono Shrugged:
I don't really see how anyone could be offended by this comic...

This is gaming media. People got offended that a woman was going to dryly read off tropes, called her a radical, and threatened to rape and kill her.

Oh, you meant....

I mean it is just a male writer using a strawman argument to make a spurious issue out of said strawman's semantic error of mixing up 2 definitions rooted in the same issue, and wheeling out a reference to a dated colloquial term that will register a humour response out of the demographic of readers, with a punchline so disconnected from the set-up as to make you wonder why he picked that paticular issue at all. Except of course, knowing hot button topics generate views...

Which, except for the "generating views" bit is a strawman in itself.

It's not really a semantic error, given the context in which it's used, re-used and clarified. On this site, no less.

Buuuuuut why let that stop you.

Scrumpmonkey:

I have to go now. My planet needs me

Oh man, if Erin dies on her way back to her home planet, I will be a sad panda.

Yeah, whenever people use the word "radical" they tend to mean "extremist". More often or not they tend not to know that radical feminism actually is a preexisting term.

Also incoming shitstorm.

Piorn:

Dude, that's not what the patriarchy is. It's a concept, not a Shadow Council. It's kind of like the idea that men are the default, "normal" gender and women are just living in our world. And if you do some research, you'll find it's more pervasive than you might expect.

And it doesn't just hurt women. When men complain that they have no chance in a child custody hearing against the mother, that's because "everyone knows" that children will always be better off with the mother than the father. Or how about the idea, perpetuated by advertising, that men are clueless, incompetent children when it comes to basic aspects of housekeeping and child care? Yup, that too. (This paragraph is mostly to answer the question: "If the patriarchy is real, how come my life as a man isn't perfect?" That's a lazy question, fellas.)

It's pretty complicated, and I'm not about to go research and write an essay for a forum thread. But there's a lot of information online if you have some free time.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here