Top 5 with Lisa Foiles: Top 5 Idle Animations

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Top 5 Idle Animations

Lisa gives us her top five favorite idle animations in videogames. Expect a lot of standing around.

Watch Video

What?LEGION dancing was the second best part of the Mass Effect series, after Mordin singing of course.

Also, I've shot myself in the face and it isn't nearly as entertaining as it is in a game. Running over pedestrians is still fun, though.

Does anyone want to make the joke about Lisa not being able to handle her balls?...no?...anyone?...

I myself preferred the Snark idles from Half Life and the Weapon idles from the Metro series.

I had my pitchfork ready in case you didn't give Sonic the number one spot. When I read the video title he was the first character to pop in my head. Good episode! Couldn't agree more!

Jazz Jackrabbit! Pretty much the only platformer I liked! Then again, it was more of a side-scroller with platforming elements. Anyway, I'm pretty sure I mainly played it because of Princess Eva's cleavage. And I was somewhere between the ages of six and eight.

I love the the Snark from the Characters in the Borderlands series when left for too long, especially Krieg. Dragon's crown has some pretty good ones too.

an idle animation that commits suicide... thats pretty extreme eh

the first episode that did not only entertain, but also educate - i never left Sonic along for so long that he'd jump.
how could you, Lisa? how could you.

I think there was one Sonic game where he would look to you and tap on the screen, like "hello, are you there?". There was even a sound of knocking on glass.

Oi, where is Ristar on this list?

The little dude has unique idle animations for each level, like making a little snowman in the ice level or snapping his fingers in the music level.

I'd say that's at least worth a shout-out.

i liked the one from rayman 3, he played soccer with his body. So yeah...

I've always been partial to Crash Bandicoot's idle animations, but I guess his death animations are about 10x better.

I can't disagree with any Top 5 that has Sonic as numero uno! :D

And a well-deserved one too.

This was a great idea for a list, super enjoyed it

I think Constantine deserved to be there... He lights up a cigarette and loses health. I think that's a pretty neat idea.

Aaaah...I loved those little details that made so much more intimate.

Thank you, Lisa, for putting a smile on this bank-line lousy day I've had.

I remember Banjo Kazooie's idle animations.

While Banjo just scratched his head and looked round, Kazooie would pop out and peck the back of Banjo's head. Leave it longer and she'd try the same thing again, except Banjo grabs her neck and yanks on it to make her choke. He'd then guffaw while she retreated into the backpack.

I now feel like this is something missing from a lot of modern games. And that makes me sad.

What up developers?

Ah yea... I am glad games no longer have the protagonist kill himself like Sonic did.
Seriously people now a days go away a lot from the game, leaving it to pause or just on hold when the game is still on.

I swear, if in Dark Souls the protagonist did what Sonic does by suicide- MANY would never leave the game. Paranoia, horrible fears would build up if your guy/girl is ready to slash one's own throat, so on. Probably would be an awful thing overall.

"The very rock yawns with anticipation of your next, fascinating move"

Despite not being an animation, props to Dungeon Keeper 2

Caramel Frappe:
Ah yea... I am glad games no longer have the protagonist kill himself like Sonic did.
Seriously people now a days go away a lot from the game, leaving it to pause or just on hold when the game is still on.

I swear, if in Dark Souls the protagonist did what Sonic does by suicide- MANY would never leave the game. Paranoia, horrible fears would build up if your guy/girl is ready to slash one's own throat, so on. Probably would be an awful thing overall.

It would definitely be out of place in anything more serious than a platformer where you die a lot anyway (in other words, not Super Meat Boy at all).
Hang on... I'm imagining a similar scenario in the latest Call of Duty or GTA game... And it becomes the media's newest hot topic because now the games encourage kids to kill themselves if they get bored... Yeah, I dunno, I'm blathering.

Your DS example is good though: In a game where death is so punishing, players definitely wouldn't want their characters to suddenly off themselves... Though there's always the pause button for pretty much ANY you know.
In any case, the idea of a game character suddenly decides 'fuck this shit' if you leave them long enough amuses me, even if you don't share the same sentiment.

YES!!! Those bits from Earthworm Jim were the funniest! I liked the one where he's flexing his supersuit's muscles and they grow bigger, catching him by surprise. I'm sure there was another one that started with twirling his gun and he throws it up in the air, but it doesn't come back down.

Snowblindblitz:
I now feel like this is something missing from a lot of modern games. And that makes me sad.

What up developers?

I think it stems from the fact that developers now need you to constantly be on the move, to watch the super scripted next part of the game, you musn't leave this experience at all, ever. If you do, the game will kill you and reload you to the next checkpoint, because your ADD riddled mind won't be able to redo a section, so just keep moving.

Or something like that.

Personally I really like Manuel Calavera's idle animation, he smokes a cigarette, but if you take control again while he's still smoking it, he'll actually drop the butt and stamp it out, it's the little details.

The worst part of this video is when it assumed Jazz Jackrabbit wasn't the best thing Cliffy B. has made.

Sonic and Earthworm Jim. Yes I approve.

The fact that sleeping Mario wasn't on this list not to mention number 1 is a crime.

Gotta say Lisa, for once you disspaoint me. I find your lack of Crash Bandicoot disturbing. I mean come on, 2-3 second reference without any actual mentions? he has both sick AND pathetic yoyo skillz! that should warrant at least a vocal reference! that's all I ask! Why is there no love for the Bandicoot?! why world why!?

One of the only redeeming factors of the first Bubsy game was that his idle animation had him say "hello?" and tap on your TV screen with that distinct hollow, glass sound that you could get with tube TVs back in those days.

Not this flaccid padded plastic sound that you get with a flat screen LCD.

Freakin' kids today with their screens that don't need lead glass to block radiation.

Oh come on- I mean it's great that you included Conker, but you only mention the game boy and the juggling? Are you serious? He does EVERYTHING the others do and more! (well.. except maybe for the skipping using his own body. I'll give that one to Earthworm Jim fair and square)

AC10:
The worst part of this video is when it assumed Jazz Jackrabbit wasn't the best thing Cliffy B. has made.

i was thinking everyone completely missed that one. i completely didnt expect her to go on such Cluffy suckup.

Well, at least this time she included something I've played (Jazz Jackrabbit).

I'll nominate Commander Keen's sitting down and reading a book, and Johnny Dash from Apogee's Monster Bash shooting the screen with his slingshot.

Roxor:
Well, at least this time she included something I've played (Jazz Jackrabbit).

I'll nominate Commander Keen's sitting down and reading a book, and Johnny Dash from Apogee's Monster Bash shooting the screen with his slingshot.

Someone that remembers Keen and Johnny Dash! :D

Loved the way the screen stayed cracked until you moved again.

Jazz Jackrabbit... Nostalgia just hit me like a truck. Gotta see if my old copies still work on win 7.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here