Jim & Yahtzee's Rhymedown Spectacular: Salty Sorrow

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Salty Sorrow

Put on your poetry hats and join two of the greatest wordsmiths of our generation as they fill your ears with verse.

Watch Video

Wait... Gollum ?

Listing off the enemies from Castlevania doesn't constitute a poem Yahtzee.

canadamus_prime:

It does if he manages to get it to ryhme constantly.

That was very impressive Yahtzee. And the joke at the end was brilliant! XD

kailus13:

canadamus_prime:

It does if he manages to get it to ryhme constantly.

That was very impressive Yahtzee. And the joke at the end was brilliant! XD

It didn't sound like that was the case to me.

canadamus_prime:

Actually, poetry can be just that. It doesn't have to rhyme either.

Poetry is very versatile stuff.

Jimothy Sterling:

canadamus_prime:

Yes I've heard of prose, but simply listing off enemies from a game still seems like kind of a stretch. It's like taking attendance for a class and calling that a poem.

canadamus_prime:

Jimothy Sterling:

canadamus_prime:

Yes I've heard of prose, but simply listing off enemies from a game still seems like kind of a stretch. It's like taking attendance for a class and calling that a poem.

So by that logic, would you say that Yakko's World isn't a song?

York_Beckett:

canadamus_prime:

Jimothy Sterling:

So by that logic, would you say that Yakko's World isn't a song?

I don't believe I've heard that so I can't really say.

canadamus_prime:

Jimothy Sterling:

canadamus_prime:

If that attendance list had some deep and personal meaning, something emotionally engaging about it, then yes, it could become a poem. The fact it isn't a poem is rooted in the fact that it IS just a roll call, but I am sure you could write a meaningful poem that takes the form of a roll call and have it affect people.

canadamus_prime:

Athinira:

canadamus_prime:

Wait Germany is in that one with Poland. Either that is older than it looks like or they used a very old map.
Edit: Nevermind it is just really strange formed

OT: I enjoyed the rhymedown like always. Keep it up! One small thing I have: Can we get a written version of the Poems in the first post?

The title and first sentence about putting all his money on the line were enough for me to know Jim was referencing SaltyBet. Then he mentioned DBZ. It wounded me in my soul. Jim, don't ever bet DBZ. It's one of the rules of SaltyBet. I love that you made a poem about it, though.

Kyrdra:
Wait Germany is in that one with Poland. Either that is older than it looks like or they used a very old map.

I don't get it....

Of course Germany is next to Poland. Why wouldn't it be there? It's not like we've invaded (or lost) something recently.....

on topic: It alright this week I guess. Yahtzee made me chuckle a bit at the end. :)

nodlimax:

Kyrdra:

I don't get it....

Of course Germany is next to Poland. Why wouldn't it be there? It's not like we've invaded (or lost) something recently.....

I thought that Germany had still territory from Poland in that map because it didnt match with the memorized layout

Kyrdra:

nodlimax:

Kyrdra:

I don't get it....

I thought that Germany had still territory from Poland in that map because it didnt match with the memorized layout

The shape in general is alright in the video but not perfect. It's a cartoon version - so don't take it to seriously...

Not a fan of either poems this week, but not every episode can be a winner. That's one out of...How many weeks has ti been?

To Yahtzee, I give you...

For Jim, not sure what to make of that but I think this is appropriate...

canadamus_prime:

Actually, a list like that can totally work. Examples:

Good poetry week again :)

Keep the good work up Jim and Ben! or should it be Ben and Jim?

Yahtzee actually memorizes his poems?
I thought you always had the poem "behind" the camera onn paper or something...

Lol, Hey you bet dbz when it's the good drawn dbz. Just mister kung fu is god tier.

No-one else immediately thought of the Pokerap when Yahtzee started into his poem?

I dont think he did them all. Sounds like just the list from Symphony Of The Night

http://castlevania.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Monsters

EDIT: Looking at the Norse bestiary, there really should have been a lot more beasts in Skyrim

Poem or not, let's just agree it wasn't very good.

Also I sympathize with Jim, Salty Bets is draining away my life and replacing it with anger and misery.

Nice to see Yahtzee switch it up with some list poetry. Screw the haters, be experimental.

Guffe:
Good poetry week again :)

Keep the good work up Jim and Ben! or should it be Ben and Jim?

Yahtzee actually memorizes his poems?
I thought you always had the poem "behind" the camera onn paper or something...

Jim mentioned it in one of his poems that he does, though I forget which one, not to mention that some of them would've taken up so much space that Yahtzee would've had to squint to read it - that or not be looking at the camera.

And as for the whole role call thing, I liked it. It did rhyme if you pay attention to it, Canadamus-prime; its in fours. That, and he could have just been using the role-call to reinforce what he's already said about the Castlevania series in that they have quite a large bestiary, much more than other games of its play-time; that and its populated with creatures from virtually every region's mythology.

We now have to get Jims poem on the saltybet roster for music. That would be perfect.

the problem might be a scarity of beatniks and bongo drums in the poems..

Mr. Q:
To Yahtzee, I give you...

youtube=BmjHT5GpAYQ -> titled 'Men at work'

I was expecting a song ... I was disappointed.

Anyway, I haven't played Castlevania (yet) so I didn't see what connected the names in Yahtzee's poem. Instead of thinking about Castlevania, I saw images associated with the names.

Yahtzee's entry got me thinking of Jack Lupino from the first Max Payne.

Okay, what was Jim's about?
I get the sense that it was referencing... something.
I assume it wasn't Dragon Ball Z?

canadamus_prime:

Y'know, I've played Castlevania and I have yet to find the beastie known as "that bloke with the face and the things hanging down." Must be in one of the hidden rooms I missed. Oh well.

That being said, I laughed and smiled and enjoyed this week's offerings.

Jimothy Sterling:

canadamus_prime:

Just like art. I did a few poems in high schools. Got A's like a boss.

For the first time ever I didn't particularly like either.

Yahtzee's to me was just reading a list, others seemed to like it so perhaps I just don't get it.

Jim's was referencing something I have never heard of. Normally this isn't a problem considering I know bugger all about Sonic or Mario either, and found the ones about them funny, but I felt my concentration slipping constantly.

Ah well, it was inevitable that it'd happen at some point.

If this is a contest, I'd say a winner is Yahtzee! Reading off the roll call of Castlevania monsters brought up a lot of memories (some rightfully suppressed) and taught me how many of their names rhyme. Sorry, Jim. As funny as it was, I'd have found it funnier if I knew more of how Salty Bets worked.

Jimothy Sterling:

canadamus_prime:

Jimothy Sterling:

If that attendance list had some deep and personal meaning, something emotionally engaging about it, then yes, it could become a poem. The fact it isn't a poem is rooted in the fact that it IS just a roll call, but I am sure you could write a meaningful poem that takes the form of a roll call and have it affect people.

Exactly. It works as a poem if a name of a monster brought up an image in your mind of that monster, and you killing it (or much more likely, since it's from a Castlevania game, it killing you).

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here