Zero Punctuation: Pikmin 3

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Just sent a few e-mails to sites being published here on escapist, and asked if they are fine with being on a page that supports discrimination of German people.

If I may take a position that will probably be seen as devil's advocate, I didn't really have any problem with Pikmin 3 at all.
Yes, it's short, but it's also one of the only games I've replayed once, let alone twice, immediately after I first beat the game, just to beat my time.
I never had any problem with the GamePad controls. They took some time to get used to, but once I did I could stand anywhere and aim in any direction. Besides, they tried using touch controls in Pikmin Adventure for Nintendo Land, a.k.a. Pikmin if the creative process was headed by a homeopath. So I really appreciate the controls for Pikmin 3.
And let's not forget Bingo Battle. It's a two-player competitive mode where you have to claim various fruits, marbles and carcasses in order to fill spaces on your bingo card, and get a line, row or column before your opponent. If you can find an opponent, even one that just barely knows the controls and strategy, Bingo Battle is loads of fun.
I'll admit that the Mission mode could have been meatier. The Defeat Enemies missions weren't much fun at all, and the Boss Battle mode was kind of redundant. But I had loads of fun with the Collect Treasure missions.
So while I wouldn't say Pikmin 3 is the best game I've ever played, it's still damn fun and I will buy any DLC that comes out for it, no questions asked.
EDIT: And I'm very ashamed that Yahtzee gave up during the Formidable Oak, because the final boss at the end of it all is actually a final exam of sorts, requiring you to be aware of your Pikmin's strengths and weaknesses. It's not just some epic rollercoaster ride with a climactic orchestral soundtrack that looks exhilarating but doesn't feel it because it's so easy. Of course, if he DID get that far, he wouldn't be saying that. No, he'd scheisse all over the game's length and the post-its that flat-out tell you about the boss' weaknesses. Not that I'm bitter. I'm at least glad that Yahtzee appreciates the game's beauty. It means I'm not just totally tasteless.
Alright, I think I'm done now.

Ihave never played a Pikming game before, but it sounds intriguing. I quite liked this episode. It had some of that signature ZP quirkiness.

ToastiestZombie:

AuronFtw:

Genocidicles:
I'm sorry but the references to the Battle of Somme were highly distressing to me. The Battle of Somme is one of the bloodiest battles in human history, where over a million men were wounded or killed. It makes me sick that such a thing was made light of, and I request that it be changed.

I can't in good conscience continue watching Zero Punctuation after that. It made me feel uneasy, and I'm ashamed Mr Croshaw brought it up.

Ahahaha, I love this. We should crusade to get some little detail changed in every video from now on.

This isn't a crusade, this is common decency. Yahtzee should have realized that making a jokes around such a big issue would result in offense and backlash. I personally think that Yahtzee should consider making his "own" "choice" and changing the joke to something less offensive like a holocaust joke.

Can I just say, it's absolutely disgusting that if you apologize or change anything that you automatically have no integrity or free will of your own? Isn't yahtzee still the main attraction here? I'm pretty sure he could have easily gotten away with not apologizing, I mean unless TheEscapist doesn't want all the ad revenue he brings. Like, it'd be one thing if Yahtzee often did this kind of thing, than maybe there'd be reason to think he had no choice but people get pissed off at him all the time.

Casual Shinji:
You know, I could already sense the amount posters waiting behind the bleachers with baseball bats for this Zero Punctuation, aching to get a crack at Yahtzee.

But he sold out, maaaaaaaan, he sold out and bowed before them PCs! The gay muslim feminist multiculti horde is outside the gates of Vienna, and PC sellouts like Yatzhee unlocks the gates from within, maaaaaan!

The PC Brigade are running this site, maaaaaaaaan, unless we do something, they'll take over, maaaaaan! We know best, maaaaan!

(And so on and so on and so on...)

Blood is in the water, trolls are closing in from all sides. Pray that the harsh but just mods protect us.

I never did understand the appeal of Pikmin, but then I've never played it.

Holocaust jokes and animal cruelty are fine, just don't call a man with a penis a man or someone might be offended. Crap. I said man. That's offensive. I meant "person of uncertain gender until he/she/it tells me what gender they prefer to be called" instead. I've learned it's not about what they factual are but what they feeeeel they are, otherwise you're supporting the evil white patriarchy and suppressing their civil rights.

When it comes to the control scheme I do really dislike the gamepad (and by extension the Pro Controller), I really like the Wiimote controls. That being said, the improved aiming and locking has come at a terrible cost...

... you will be missed C-Stick.

Ba dah ba de ba ba bah da ba da ba

major_chaos:

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

Why would you want to? The Wiimote and Nunchuck give you objectively more accuracy than analogue sticks. You can even target specific body parts of enemies with the Wiimote, which you can't do with analogues. You can indeed play with the Pro controller, but why would you deliberately pass over a control method that gives you greater control?

o hai jefffers, I'm slightly amazed you don't have me on ignore.
But anyway, to answer the question of why I would rather use the Pro controller:
1. The Wiimote is finicky and inaccurate,to the point where even simple motions like trying to do a search on netflix is a pain in the ass.
2. I played the Wii version of Pikmin 2 once, and despite having beaten the GC version twice I could barely survive the early game and found myself wishing for the GC controller.
3. My Wii is in front of my couch, so I like to lounge when I play, which makes aiming with the Wiimote even harder.

That might just be a calibration issue or light sources messing with the sensors. Mine works great and it's incredibly precise, only issues I have is when I hook it up somewhere else where there's a light source behind the TV like an open window or lamp.

Bloody funny episode!
Also he did get me thinking... why is it that watching TV (snore) is still considered more "important" than playing video games?

I've never had the battery life problem on my pad, did you get a bad one? My 4 year old and I play on ours for hours before the little red light starts turning red.

And even if it does you can set it up so that you can just plug the dang thing in and keep going.

Having finished Pikmin 3 I do agree that the controls could have been better for gathering them to you. The campaign was too short and I don't feel like it got as hard as it could have, and the story at the end fell flat. But I did like how bad it made me feel, how tense it felt... until I realized you could start a day over. That kindof ruined it for me. But I guess you're supposed to restart and go back so you can get all the fruit and as efficiently as possible. It is beautiful though, and most of the puzzles are fairly clever.

Plunkies:
Holocaust jokes and animal cruelty are fine, just don't call a man with a penis a man or someone might be offended. Crap. I said man. That's offensive. I meant "person of uncertain gender until he/she/it tells me what gender they prefer to be called" instead. I've learned it's not about what they factual are but what they feeeeel they are, otherwise you're supporting the evil white patriarchy and suppressing their civil rights.

What does that have to do with the price of beer?

Yes guys he changed a joke. You can stop commenting on how offended Germans should be about this episode. A joke stops being funny when twenty people all say it at the same time.

Casual Shinji:
You know, I could already sense the amount posters waiting behind the bleachers with baseball bats for this Zero Punctuation, aching to get a crack at Yahtzee.

Genocidicles:
I'm sorry but the references to the Battle of Somme were highly distressing to me. The Battle of Somme is one of the bloodiest battles in human history, where over a million men were wounded or killed. It makes me sick that such a thing was made light of, and I request that it be changed.

I can't in good conscience continue watching Zero Punctuation after that. It made me feel uneasy, and I'm ashamed Mr Croshaw brought it up.

The combination of these two posts had me in a laughing fit. I read Shinji's first, then scrolled up to see what he was talking about.

Tee hee.

Thanks guys.

Edit: Also the fact that it was written by someone with the name "Genocidicles" adds to it.

I'd read "What genocide" magazine. Thanks Yatzee.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

...ah, fuck it. Like I said, Yahtzee just doesn't know what he wants, or just loves complaining for the sake of it.

I know you like Nintendo and stuff, but that is what Yahtzee does, is it not? Complain for the sake of it, I mean.

saxman234:
Are people serious with these comments?

To be fair, I can't tell who here is serious and who isn't anymore.

Poe's Law is in full effect in this thread.

To all the people cracking superb jokes about being horrendously offended by this week's episode and demanding that Yahtzee change this or that detail:
Thank you.

Seriously, ya'll are the only reason I haven't completely lost faith in these forums.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
1) You can use the touchscreen as a part of gameplay. Not only can you use it to scroll through the level a la a PC RTS, you can use it to set destinations for specific captains and their units, and to swap between any of the three captains on the fly.

Don't you feel that is a bit of a poor implementation? I mean why not go for the full capabilities of a mouse on a RTS?

I am hopeful that they add select units and commands for the next Pikmin. Or maybe it would ruin the gameplay? Haven't touched the franchise in an eternity.

So, no C-stick analogue then?
In the previous games, you had a full analogue stick dedicated to controlling the Pikmin around you. This served triple purpose to:
1) Get your Pikmin horde out of the way of well-telegraphed attacks quick-smart
2) Swarm enemies, bridges, gates and objects that you wanted to haul so as to not have to throw all the blighters all the time.
3) Maneuver the horde through tight spaces so as to not lose them off the edge of ledges and the like
I can't imagine this Pikmin being very good without it.

Also, the whistle should expand in area of effect as you hold down the button, so holding it down and spinning on the spot was a great way of quickly selecting all the Pikmin on the screen. And I don't think I had any issues with this on the demo version, so maybe Yahtzee was just tapping whistle all the time?

The flowers are absolutely a controlling parasite. Cordyceps has evolved after it infected a hive of bees! First the bees, then the pikmen, then the WORLD.

I played the first game... never bothered getting the sequels. Mainly because the Pikmin were very helpless even when you've helped them fight against every obstacle that stood in your way. If they auto attacked or would flee from bosses when the numbers grew to low, i'd have way more sympathy as well.

But they act very.... robotic, like that episode of Family Guy where Stewie and Brian go to the North Pole to see Santa. And then they meet the elves... yeah you know where i'm getting at.

No one is here to talk about Pikmin? I loved it, but I am a huge fan of the series so big shocker there. I do believe Yatzee should have played the game using the Wii mote Nunchuck controls, way better than the gamepad from my experience.

I also want to know what the deal is with his gamepad battery life problems? The cord is long enough to keep plugged in and still allowing one to sit far away from the system. By itself, I believe it lasts for about three hours, how long does he play?

Hero of Lime:
No one is here to talk about Pikmin? I loved it, but I am a huge fan of the series so big shocker there. I do believe Yatzee should have played the game using the Wii mote Nunchuck controls, way better than the gamepad from my experience.

I also want to know what the deal is with his gamepad battery life problems? The cord is long enough to keep plugged in and still allowing one to sit far away from the system. By itself, I believe it lasts for about three hours, how long does he play?

Since essentially its his job to play, I'll say longer than 3 hours a session.

My average gaming session tends towards 4 hours.

And I thought playing Imperial Guard in Dawn of War was genocide. Pikmin is just too hardcore.

Some people are mentioning the game controls a lot better with the Wii mote. Furthermore some suggest Yahtzee should have used the Wii mote to review the game and isn't doing Pikmin 3 justice by not doing so. I think it's only fair judging Pikmin on the WiiU using the controller that comes with the WiiU. In fact, the gamepad controller is an important selling point of said console. You can't expect everyone who wants to play this game to go and buy a Wii mote so they can optimally enjoy the game.
That being said, from what I have seen Pikmin 3 looks great and the gameplay seems like it could be fun. I won't get it, I don't have a WiiU and won't be getting one. I think New Little King's Story is the same kind of gameplay, sort of. So I will download that when it comes to PS+.

The one thing I can take away from this review is that I now want to read whatGENOCIDE magazine.

I really hope Yahtzee does not review The Wonderful 101. Every comment board from a website that gave the score under an 8 is atrocious. What is it about Nintendo games that gets people super defensive. Any review for a Nintendo only game that isn't praising everything about that game gets a hoard of comments of people defending it crazily. Maybe this is all games, but it seems like Nintendo games especially have a huge outcry whenever a game isn't reviewed highly. Thinking about it, I guess a game like Dragon's Crown also had the same problem.

Best video I've seen in a while. Maybe it's because I'm in a particularly jovial mood, but besides making me laugh out loud at several points, the people in the comments acting offended and/or condescending because people are making fun of people for acting offended and/or condescending had me tearing up.

The Wiimote + nunchuck control scheme is, unfortunately, highly underrated. It's a very intuitive control scheme for many games. It definitely made Mario Kart in GENERAL a better game and it works perfectly in the Telltale point-and-click adventure games that were released on the Wii.

Pikmin 3 is a beginners rts, possibly for those who've never heard of a mouse for control. Fun but annoyingly so. My Pikmin for a mouse, indeed.

As for mentioning the Somme, nothing wrong with that. mentioning such tragedy of war in passing jokes is not a problem, only if the oversensitive make it one. Yes, people died, but only through remembering such positively or negatively, can it be chalked up as something insane not to repeat. Its sign posted in history for you, to morn over whenever you feel the need.

When you are driving and run over a hedgehog, do you stop to your car and hold a wake and burial for it? No? Didn't think so. Try not to be such a white knight, Mr/Ms Genocidicles.

saxman234:
I really hope Yahtzee does not review The Wonderful 101. Every comment board from a website that gave the score under an 8 is atrocious. What is it about Nintendo games that gets people super defensive. Any review for a Nintendo only game that isn't praising everything about that game gets a hoard of comments of people defending it crazily. Maybe this is all games, but it seems like Nintendo games especially have a huge outcry whenever a game isn't reviewed highly. Thinking about it, I guess a game like Dragon's Crown also had the same problem.

People tend to complain about reviews when the score is dragged down because of things that don't actually affect the gameplay. Sexism is the big topic at the moment (hence the complaints about W101 and DC reviews).

The wonderful 101 comments! Oh wait, now it's 102... Damn.

On topic:
Yahtzee is a rather tragic character, first he complains when the WiiU has no games then he complains when he has to buy games for the WiiU. To be stuck in a rut of complaining, I know it's his gimmick to be overly critical and cynical but it can be a bit grating at times. I still love him and all his persnickety ways and I don't object to his opinion on Pikmin 3, but I would be lying if I said I didn't find his semi-conflicting arguments a bit annoying.

Despite my minor complaint I did find this review very funny, at least enough to justify me spending my time watching it.

Apparently most people say the Wiimote controls are the optimal ones, I'll have to try playing Pikmin 3 again with those sometime.

"Thanks, Pikmin 3! You fucking monster! :D"

That was great.

Yahtzee, when are you going to review Splinter Cell: Blacklist? I know its out in Australia!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here