Escapist News Now: Wii U Price Drop. 2DS Revealed

Wii U Price Drop. 2DS Revealed

Nintendo also revealed the new handheld 2DS.

Watch Video

This sounds almost like a bankruptcy notice from Nintendo. Its basically an admission that none of their consoles are doing well and they are so short on ideas that a price drop or a loss of functionality is their only idea of what to do... I mean it was always dumb to have a portable console marketed towards children with a feature that would actually be harmful to young developing eyes but a brand new console with nothing but less functionality seems even worse.

I already have a 2ds its called a DSI and a lot of other people also already have a ds or dsi (or could pick one up far cheaper) so it really does feel like this is last call before the bar called Nintendo closes up. It makes me sad

zvate:
This sounds almost like a bankruptcy notice from Nintendo.

lolno. They've got a ton of money and can ride out a short-term failure (if you want to call this a failure).

I'm glad they are making a 3Dless 3Dess, though. Sort of sounds like they're admitting the 3D idea is dumb.

I already have a 2ds its called a DSI and a lot of other people also already have a ds or dsi

I wasn't aware the DS and DSI could play 3DS games.

zvate:
This sounds almost like a bankruptcy notice from Nintendo. Its basically an admission that none of their consoles are doing well and they are so short on ideas that a price drop or a loss of functionality is their only idea of what to do... I mean it was always dumb to have a portable console marketed towards children with a feature that would actually be harmful to young developing eyes but a brand new console with nothing but less functionality seems even worse.

I already have a 2ds its called a DSI and a lot of other people also already have a ds or dsi (or could pick one up far cheaper) so it really does feel like this is last call before the bar called Nintendo closes up. It makes me sad

Really dude?
This specific model is mainly for little kids that break crap all the time and can't handle the 3D aspect (thus making the current 3DS models kind of pointless.) and for people who are stereo blind and can't see in 3D anyway (thus making the current models pointless.)

The 3DS is doing quite well. This is simply an alternative to the other two.

captcha: Are you human?

Yes. I am indeed a human.

Those prices, why do they always have to do the 'round price minus one cent'-thing? It reminds me of this sketch.

When i first saw it i went OMG well this is a step backward .. then they said well it is a more sturdy build with the hinge gone so kids wont break it and i went face palm .. hinges breaking ?? really ?? i had a hand held game with hinges since i was 8 like donkey kong and it still works.

I hope no I Pray that as a Pilot Ninten D'oh will only sell these things over seas via a online store and not force them on the world market until the sale numbers come out... else they will be looking at a LOT of spare parts i fear.

As for the slightly more reasoned responses... I guess I have to agree that the 3DS game line up does have some fun games I would have liked to have played but with so much of the game line-up designed to showcase its 3d gimmickry I'm still not convinced a new system that removes the primary feature of the existing system is a way forward simply because it can play the same games... All the way back to the gameboy Nintendo had been at least working to improve with each system but this is a strict downgrade with no additional functionality.

I'm also willing to concede that the child friendly nature of the new system is its biggest selling point but that means the parents are making the buying decision and with so much competition from Android and Apple systems with more functionality and greater educational value I think its going to be a tough sale especially since there is absolutely no reason for anyone who does already own a 3ds to buy one... and it's that last fact that makes me think Nintendo is desperate.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here