Escape to the Movies: Getaway

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Getaway

You won't want to get away from MovieBob's review of the upcoming Getaway.

Watch Video

Keep up the Good Work Bob, love the series as allways- and your other works too

Oh man. It's been a good week for Escapist videos making me actually laugh out loud, thus causing the inevitable stares from those around me and the attention that I am so richly entitled to coming to pass. It's like some evil genius were at work.

No I've been waiting for you to stop backpedaling on your endorsement of Man of Steel. I was over the VMAs by monday morning.

And I was sure SOMEthing more interesting was coming out this week.

Love the Critic reference at the end.

Disney child star dances near-naked on a stage: "Grow up, people! She's doing it for the publicity."

Disney child star tries a more serious role: "No fucking way! There's no way she can do that."

Gomez was probably trying to get out of the "kid-friendly" mold before it suffocated her, same as Cyrus. She might not be the right choice for the role, but at least she has a role in a grown-up film where doesn't have to be the moral centre (like Spring Breakers).

Also, I like the new ad at the end of the video: at least it was straightforward.

Keji Goto:

Really. I thought he was ripping off Levan Polka (you know the version).

Zero Serenity:

Keji Goto:

Really. I thought he was ripping off Levan Polka (you know the version).

Nope, it is the Critic. The sound of Jay Sherman going "Buy my book!" over and over actually came from a billboard, if i recall correctly.

Why did I just now got the need to buy a book? But which book should I buy? We will never know the answer to either.

Thunderous Cacophony:
Disney child star dances near-naked on a stage: "Grow up, people! She's doing it for the publicity."

Disney child star tries a more serious role: "No fucking way! There's no way she can do that."

Gomez was probably trying to get out of the "kid-friendly" mold before it suffocated her, same as Cyrus. She might not be the right choice for the role, but at least she has a role in a grown-up film where doesn't have to be the moral centre (like Spring Breakers).

Also, I like the new ad at the end of the video: at least it was straightforward.

There is something different about this Miley Cyrus thing. For starters, it was poorly done and cruder than anything like it I've ever seen in such an environment. Can we now officially decide music awards are no longer for family viewing (or the Superbowl for that matter?)

Yes, others have done it. (And done it better and less crudely). There really was something new here and it was bad. And worst of all, other mediocrities can be expected to follow suit.

Good column on it: http://ideas.time.com/2013/08/27/pops-drop-from-madonna-to-miley/?iid=op-main-lead

Hmm, I get the feeling Bob wants me to buy something, but I can't quite put my finger on it...

Buy... His... Cook? Hmm, alright, but I don't know what I'm gonna do with them.

Daystar Clarion:
Hmm, I get the feeling Bob wants me to buy something, but I can't quite put my finger on it...

Buy... His... Cook? Hmm, alright, but I don't know what I'm gonna do with them.

No no you're hearing it wrong.

He just opened a new restaraunt and he's asking you to go down and buy his duck.

I'd totally go but going to Boston for just one meal is a bit expensive, even by my standards.

I think he's referring to Bai Mai Buk, the famous Taiwanese inventor. You know, the one who made the first clapper operated cardboard cutout.

Mr social-conscience himself outright laughing at a pretty girl being cast in a role typically reserved for anyone but pretty girls?

Didn't see that coming.

Also, this video was like, 3 minutes long. The irrelevant bit at the start and the massive waste of time at the end were damn near half the content.

Hoping that doesn't become a thing...

That has got to be the single best piece of advertisement ever.

Actually, I couldn't care less what people thought about Miley Cyrus- I was actually hoping if you'd seen Mortal Instruments.

Also? That kind of advertising doesn't work my glorious European genes.

*Goes out and gets swindled for baby labradors that are already dead*

What's wrong with the Dinobots?

Oh great, now I'm having "Apply directly to the forehead" flashbacks. Thanks, bob.

Because no one posted the episode.... yet.... or they already did & I'm late....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8s1ndTq8KA

Bonus points to MovieBob if we get a version of this next week

Anyhoo, the trailers made this flick seem a bit meh, so it looks like it's back to The World's End. No complaints here!

Hey Bob, can we expect a review of "Under the Skin" from you soon? It's supposed to be out next week.

So...much....fail.

Okay, first off can we finally get around to saying Ethan Hawk shouldn't have a career at this point? The guy is untalented and unimpressive as an actor. Secondly, while part of me wants to say the idea of having Gomez play a dirt-poor, desperate street thug could have been interesting [playing against type can be important, I get that] but the idea of having it flip-flop and she's a multi-million dollar heiress and it's her tricked out car just trashes the idea.

"Hey, I'm playing like I'm playing against type. It's ironic!" No, it's not. It's stupid, uninspiring, and a waste of time. Made completely worse with the baby-face she's been given. She's going to look underage when she's 40.

Welcome to the end of summer. Brace for the suckage.

I think Gomez might be able to break away from her cute disney persona if she starts working on her make up. Those black edges around her eyes that too many girls do is one of the big reasons I can't take her seriously.

I always love it when half a movie review is made up "Everyone shouldn't be laughing at this because I think so" with a side order of "Buy my book"....

Did people actually want Bob to comment on the Miley Cyrus thing? I find that odd, but maybe I shouldn't.

Yeah, people get worked up over these things designed to get them worked up. But he's got a point, it does keep working.

I might buy your book if i was a Super Mario fanboy but I'm not so i won't! Now stop beating me round the head with it it's getting obnoxious now.

Thunderous Cacophony:

For Gomez case this isnt the movie that she should use to have a more serious role, just replace her with Michael Cera and you will see that it also wouldnt work.

She can still play the innofensive girl that she looks like (her face is like a gummy bear) but in a good movie, if she does it right in there then she may be recognized for that.

You have cases of actors trying to earn their place and the most important thing is to fit well for the role, even if trying to do something new.

Ickabod:
What's wrong with the Dinobots?

They aren't Dino-riders or Dinosaucers.

NO BOB. :D YOU'ER AWESOME!

Also, who got Big Picture on my Escape to the Movies? :) It's tasty.
Though shouldn't we be asking Gavin those kinds of questions? It is music related.

As for the Dinobots? *sigh*

Glad to see finally some original non annyoing advertisement of your book.

anthony87:
I always love it when half a movie review is made up "Everyone shouldn't be laughing at this because I think so" with a side order of "Buy my book"....

No kidding. I think this must be the shortest video I've seen on here.

50 seconds of complaining about the VMA complaints with about 3 minutes of actual review, tagged on by 40 seconds of shilling

Gomez actually has experience with pretending to be poor or pretending to be rich. This is the third film in which she has done so (Princess Protection Program, Monte Carlo), so that may explain why they hired her for the role. I do commend her for at least trying to do something more serious. It doesn't seem like the director tried at all. He basically threw a hoodie on her and thought that would be enough to make people think she was tough and street-wise.

I feel like reading for some reason, i'll guess i'll buy Bob's book...

Thunderous Cacophony:

Seriously! Sometimes, it gets very annoying when Bob plays Devil's Advocate.

Also Bob, how dare you compare Miley Cyrus to Elvis Presley. I'm ashamed I even put the two in the same sentence. What you fail to realize was that while everyone was outraged at what Elvis was doing during his time, it involved skill and was very sexual for that era.

Everyone's laughing at Miley Cyrus and/or is feeling embarrassed for her. There was nothing too sexual for our time in what she was doing. She didn't give off the impression that she had grownup and was using sex to solidify this. She merely did what a third grader would think was shocking and sexual. It was as if the sound guy should have inserted farts into her performance while she picked her nose and ate it.

Darth Sea Bass:
I might buy your book if i was a Super Mario fanboy but I'm not so i won't! Now stop beating me round the head with it it's getting obnoxious now.

I don'y understand this logic the ads are after the review. Hell they're after the credits. If people don't want to watch them just stop watching. Your missing nothing but the thing your saying you don't want to watch. Am I missing something. Is there like some OCD condition where people have to watch a video until it hits the end. I wish all ads came at the end that way I could avoid all the garbage and another thing... BUY HIS BOOK BY HIS BOOK BUY HIS BOOOK BUUUUUUUUYYYYY HIIIISSSSSSSSS BOOOOOOOOOOOOOKKKKKKK...

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here