Escape to the Movies: Getaway

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Why the sudden last minute jab at Kevin Smith? I know you hated Red State but never seemed to hate the guy.

Hello Bob, love the shows (note on the plural). Just punching in to say:
1. Didn't care about MTV and its antics when I was a teenager... even less now, I actually had to ask who the hell was this mily person.

2. I'm actually considering buying your book, damn you!

3. I want to sort of defend Kevin Smith here, hes podcast stuff is sort of funny and somewhat insightful if you are into comics. I can see your point in film terms though, but as an active comic reader I enjoy hes podcast shows.

4. Seems to me that movie sounded amazing on paper tbh, shame it didn't turn out right.

josemlopes:

Thunderous Cacophony:
Disney child star dances near-naked on a stage: "Grow up, people! She's doing it for the publicity."

Disney child star tries a more serious role: "No fucking way! There's no way she can do that."

Gomez was probably trying to get out of the "kid-friendly" mold before it suffocated her, same as Cyrus. She might not be the right choice for the role, but at least she has a role in a grown-up film where doesn't have to be the moral centre (like Spring Breakers).

Also, I like the new ad at the end of the video: at least it was straightforward.

For Gomez case this isnt the movie that she should use to have a more serious role, just replace her with Michael Cera and you will see that it also wouldnt work.

She can still play the innofensive girl that she looks like (her face is like a gummy bear) but in a good movie, if she does it right in there then she may be recognized for that.

You have cases of actors trying to earn their place and the most important thing is to fit well for the role, even if trying to do something new.

Eeeeyep.

That's the thing, she doesn't HAVE to play some kind of "hard and edgy" role to "escape her kid-friendly image", whatever that means anyways. That's not the only way to make the transition from child/teen star to adult star. Just because you hold guns/throw punches/say some swears/do sexual stuff/etc. doesn't automatically turn you into an "adult". If it feels superficial and inauthentic, then we're not going to buy it anyways. If you don't fit well in the role you pick or get miscast in, then our suspension of disbelief really isn't going to be there and we're only going to see you as the actor/actress, not as the character, because it's just so glaring and jarring.

I don't think Selena Gomez is all THAT bad. Bland? Sure. But maybe she can carve out a decent niche for herself as the cute, likable Girl Next Door type ala Jennifer Aniston or somebody like that. Out of all the little Disney moppets as of late, I think she could grow into a competent young actress. But hard-ass action lead? Especially right out the gate like this? Ok like I said MAYBE one day down the line she could branch out like that, but as of right now she isn't ready for it, so she needs to pick roles that play better to her strengths as opposed to taking these silly leaps that more than likely WON'T pay off and will HURT her career more than help. We saw what being unprepared did to Jayden Smith in After Earth; he's going to have a hard time being taken seriously again after that. If Selena doesn't want to suffer the same fate, then she's gonna have to say no to these kinda roles for now.

Sounded like the setup was more suited to a racing game. In fact it's a pretty good setup for a game; you can't leave the car because you'll get shot so that gives some context as to why you can't just get out and walk without it having to be too bulletproof because well, it's a racing game. It's also an excuse for lots of car chases and set-pieces outside of races that you normally don't have excuse for.

Daystar Clarion:
Hmm, I get the feeling Bob wants me to buy something, but I can't quite put my finger on it...

Buy... His... Cook? Hmm, alright, but I don't know what I'm gonna do with them.

Hey,Daystar. Good to see you again. How are ya? 2:34 You almost had me there,movie. The tough as nails car jacker is Selena Gomez? LOL 4:18 I'll prey for us both

Apparently I'm awesome. YAY!

Loki_The_Good:

Darth Sea Bass:
I might buy your book if i was a Super Mario fanboy but I'm not so i won't! Now stop beating me round the head with it it's getting obnoxious now.

I don'y understand this logic the ads are after the review. Hell they're after the credits. If people don't want to watch them just stop watching. Your missing nothing but the thing your saying you don't want to watch. Am I missing something. Is there like some OCD condition where people have to watch a video until it hits the end. I wish all ads came at the end that way I could avoid all the garbage and another thing... BUY HIS BOOK BY HIS BOOK BUY HIS BOOOK BUUUUUUUUYYYYY HIIIISSSSSSSSS BOOOOOOOOOOOOOKKKKKKK...

Actually, I do have mild OCD (I've mentioned it before), and "finish ALL THE VIDEO" is actually a thing I have.

I don't mind ads, though, so I'm OK.

OT: The movie has a 1% on Rotten Tomatoes. This really blows my mind.

EDIT: Correction. It is now 2%. Meaning that it's been put on the same level as "Epic Movie" and "Meet the Spartans".

lacktheknack:

Loki_The_Good:

Darth Sea Bass:
I might buy your book if i was a Super Mario fanboy but I'm not so i won't! Now stop beating me round the head with it it's getting obnoxious now.

I don'y understand this logic the ads are after the review. Hell they're after the credits. If people don't want to watch them just stop watching. Your missing nothing but the thing your saying you don't want to watch. Am I missing something. Is there like some OCD condition where people have to watch a video until it hits the end. I wish all ads came at the end that way I could avoid all the garbage and another thing... BUY HIS BOOK BY HIS BOOK BUY HIS BOOOK BUUUUUUUUYYYYY HIIIISSSSSSSSS BOOOOOOOOOOOOOKKKKKKK...

Actually, I do have mild OCD (I've mentioned it before), and "finish ALL THE VIDEO" is actually a thing I have.

I don't mind ads, though, so I'm OK.

OT: The movie has a 1% on Rotten Tomatoes. This really blows my mind.

EDIT: Correction. It is now 2%. Meaning that it's been put on the same level as "Epic Movie" and "Meet the Spartans".

Shoot sorry didn't mean that for real just was trying to highlight that it was easily skippable so there's no reason to complain.

Loki_The_Good:
Shoot sorry didn't mean that for real just was trying to highlight that it was easily skippable so there's no reason to complain.

Not even close to offended, and point taken. Just thought you'd like to know. :P

Buy my Book... I MEAN, I never heard of this before today, but if it DOES come out in UK, I'll probably buy my book, I MEAN... not watch it. It DOES sound like a good book, I MEAN... premise, but if it's as dull as you say, there's no point really. I want to watch a movie to be entertained, not buy my book... I MEAN... be bored stiff.

(boy that really get's in your head huh? Will his book... I MEAN.... book, be available for sale in the UK? Or can it be imported through Play.com or Amazon etc?)

(was my attempt at humour in this post successful by any degree?)

ShadowGandalf01:
Buy my Book... I MEAN, I never heard of this before today, but if it DOES come out in UK, I'll probably buy my book, I MEAN... not watch it. It DOES sound like a good book, I MEAN... premise, but if it's as dull as you say, there's no point really. I want to watch a movie to be entertained, not buy my book... I MEAN... be bored stiff.

(boy that really get's in your head huh? Will his book... I MEAN.... book, be available for sale in the UK? Or can it be imported through Play.com or Amazon etc?)

(was my attempt at humour in this post successful by any degree?)

I laughed, was a sentence in though before I got it.

Loved the Critic reference there Bob (and thank you for introducing me to that show.) Happy I decided to stay through the credits to see if you changed up the ad.

I was gonna say something shitty but i have this over whelming urge to go buy movie bobs book.

All kidding aside good show. I wanted to know why this movie was getting so much up and down hatred. Thank you sir.
And the over all show was pretty damn funny.

I kept wondering how bad could a movie be about car chases be? vindeisel seems to get them right all the God damn time.

So either me or Bob has a pretty bad gauge on his audience. I didn't click on the movie review show link expecting to hear anything about Mily Cyrus, and I'm betting that nobody else did either.

Bob, you do know that by actually mentioning the damn Miley Cyrus thing you're giving in to the outrage, right?

ok .. BOB.. that last announcement about your book....actually kind of work....and it was way less annoying that all other announcements about your book... so congratulations you level up your marketing skills

I had never even herd of this movie until now... good to know i can skip it

also I felt like the Smith jab was a little uncalled for

anyone else mentally add phat beats to the end bit?

I swear people watch stuff they don't like just so they can whine and complain about it.

If you don't like Bob's commentary, reviews, or the way he advertises his book, don't watch it. You'll be happier and the rest of us will be happier not to hear you whine and complain. If more people were happier, the world would be a better place, so do us all a favor and make the world a better place.

Oh Lord, that bit at the end. Did we provoke him to do that, with all the posting of that clip from The Critic in his other videos' comments?! Also, what's the deal with that crack at Kevin Smith? Is there some rivalry between Bob's Boston and Smith's New Jersey hometown I'm unaware of?

It's very much beating a dead horse, but the Miley Cyrus incident, wasn't as much the whole sexuallity problem, but it was racist as hell!
This article explains it much better, for anyone that would like to read it.
http://groupthink.jezebel.com/solidarity-is-for-miley-cyrus-1203666732

And I apoligise for my english. It is my second language.

Moviebob action figure: Now with MOVING ARM ACTIONNNN!!!!!

CAPTCHA "Take it all"
Hmmmm, really?

Yea sadly the filming of each new Transformers movie comes with the game of which beloved characters will they screw up next? Although other than selling toys you have to wonder what the point is of having Dinobots when Prime has gone so Super Saiyan he can kill anything with ease.

Adam Jensen:
Hey Bob, can we expect a review of "Under the Skin" from you soon? It's supposed to be out next week.

Christ, they actually made a movie of that? That book was so. frigging. LAME.

If you grew up on The Twilight Zone, you pretty much figured out what was going on in the first few chapters.

What's up with all these girls in the computer geniuses field.
You would almost think that IT was not seriously lacking in women or anything. (no pun intended)
It's a shame really, not that many girls in my class.

why would i be "waiting for some jokes" on the cyrus kid in a completely unconnected movie review "show" ?

no seriously, WHY ?

it's called "Escape to the Movies" and you're supposed to be the on site "movie critic" so why am i, as a viewer, being "treated" to a condescending diatribe on COMPLETELY UNCONNECTED bullshit that clearly isn't on the signage ?

if you want a pop music/culture podcast make one but don't assume i would listen to it or that i subscribe to some ascribed "scene" opinion that ofc is beneath you and yours.

because personally i can do without completely random presumptuous condescension as a surprise opener to ANYTHING.

in all honesty if this was a written User Reviews forum post rather than a content video i'd have flagged for moderation under the forums Code of Conduct just for the fundamental lack of respect afforded to other viewing forum members and tack of that opening and i know i'm not supposed to rag on content but seriously WTF "Movie" Bob ?

i didn't even get as far as you trash talking Kevin Smith on first viewing (who incidentally as far as i can see never talks down to his audience) or the "buy my book" spam shtick that apparently takes up a full fifth of your 5 minutes worth of content submission.

but anyways so said recently released film is crap. i won't look to see it. job done.
but don't expect a thank you or a pat on the back after that lead in (or out).

sheesh.

hey, i wonder if there's a new Fatman on Batman this week...

wow... talking shit about Kevin Smith?

stay classy movie bob

Your new sellout stinger is a phenomenal improvement, Bob, well done.

Also, Selena Gomez just shouldn't be allowed to act. Ever.

Thank god its a direct quote, or i would have never found it...

If you don't supply the GUNSHOT after like the 10th "Buy my book"(and even that is stretching it the joke is all but lost. It was funny as I was walking away and started hearing that but then after like the 20th second WAITING for a gunshot I was VERY disappointed.

If anyone wants to see Ethan Hawke in a good movie they should watch Martha Marcy May Marlene because he's great in it, and also because it's awesome.

So instead of stopping advertising your book like pretty much everyone asked you to, you make fun of it. yatzee figured this out after 2 videos of advertisement, you seem to dont get it for months.

Penguin_Factory:
If anyone wants to see Ethan Hawke in a good movie they should watch Martha Marcy May Marlene because he's great in it, and also because it's awesome.

Thats John Hawkes you're thinking of and he has been in some well reviewed movies, but none that i have seen.

Buy my book!
Buy my book!
Buy my book!
Buy my [BLAM!]

I don't understand why everyone hates the advertisement at the end so much. I mean, does the video shutdown everyone's keyboard and mouse so they can't stop the video once they've seen the advertisement the first time? All I ever hear about it are people screaming "STOP THAT! STOP DOING THAT THING I COULD TOTALLY AVOID BUT CHOOSE TO WATCH ANYWAY SO I CAN VENT MY FRUSTRATION WITH YOU AFTERWARDS."

Also, agreed about Miley Cyrus. Every female pop star who started singing as a child goes through a moment where they go over the top so that everyone shifts gears from viewing them as a child to viewing them as an adult. Love it, hate it, it doesn't matter. The point is that she wants everyone to see her differently and become relevant for a different reason so people will buy her albums again. Even if it wasn't a publicity stunt, I can at least understand the motivation behind wanting to change her image away from being an old child-star.

Oh, there was a movie review in there somewhere, too. I almost didn't notice. Then again, the movie looked bland enough that it barely deserved reviewing anyway, I suppose. If you're going to stuff commentary and advertisements into one of your review videos, this is far from the worst one to have cluttered.

Loki_The_Good:

Darth Sea Bass:

Bobs been damn classy trying to hock his wears by putting them after the full reveiw.

OT: *Snigger* Solena Gomez I choose you! Because when I think gangster, I think the Disney channel.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here