Escapist News Now: Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus PAX Prime 2013 Preview

Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus PAX Prime 2013 Preview

Insomniac goes back to its platforming roots with Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus.

Watch Video

Really looking forward to this one. I doubt it would unseat A Crack In Time, but something meaty enough to feel better to how All 4 One dragged alone, how unbalanced the singleplayer was for Full Frontal Assault, and how glitchy the 4 HD games were (well, the first game didn't have much, but 2 and 3 had points where you would have to reset a mission or your reload your save in order to get yourself out of a glitch. Don't get me started on Deadlocked HD, but at least I got it for free). Considering how ready I was for the series to end at ACIT (one of the few examples where a satisfying game ties up enough loose ends as opposed to begging or a sequel), those 3 instances thing made me frustrated and didn't want this to be a consistent thing. I'm pretty confident with this though as it looks like a longer Quest for Booty (and I love me some Quest for Booty) with it's smaller package, a few experimental mechanics, and seems to have a lot of atmosphere.

Just...be good. PLEASE be good.

Also, I need that snowman gun...like...right now. 1812 Overture was great for the RYNO5 and all, but this is bloody JINGLE BELLS!

Raggedstar:
....Don't get me started on Deadlocked HD

Oh dear...what did they do to it may I ask?

piinyouri:

Raggedstar:

1. The frame rate really suffers. In the SOTC HD remaster they smoothed it out (because the technical limitations on the PS2 were a liability in the game), but here in Deadlocked it looks worse. This is the kind of game that routinely has a million enemies and explosions happening at once on screen, and it slows down a lot from it.

2. The cutscenes are very glichy. I mean, you can look beyond the giant helmet in Ratchet 2 and 3's remaster, but here it makes the models twitch and/or freeze every few seconds. When I beat Ace Hardlight and he was on the ground, it got to the point where his hands went through the floor. It's very distracting. Some other visual glitches include surfaces (like walls and floors) buggering up and characters moving and positioned strangely in general. Since this is HD and merely a port with a VISUAL UPDATE, this is a big miss.

3. I heard reports of a glitch that basically deletes your save without warning, so victims are warning others to create 2 save slots.

4. Like the other HD remasters, there is a difference in aspect ratio between gameplay and cutscene

5. I haven't noticed it, but some are complaining at weapon and swingshot lag.

6. Not a BAD thing (as it's less work for me), but I got some skill points unlock before I even got to the planet it was specific too (I remember it happening at least once, some people say more). Again it doesn't break the game, but it's just so weird.

7. Multiplayer is incomplete and suffers major lag.

All people that got a retail version of Full Frontal Assault were able to get this game for free (along with the Vita version of FFA). Imagine paying the $10 or so to get it. It's not at the Silent Hill 2 and 3 HD level of bad and you can still enjoy it, but it's pretty bad.

Raggedstar:

piinyouri:

Raggedstar:

1. The frame rate really suffers. In the SOTC HD remaster they smoothed it out (because the technical limitations on the PS2 were a liability in the game), but here in Deadlocked it looks worse. This is the kind of game that routinely has a million enemies and explosions happening at once on screen, and it slows down a lot from it.

Oh lord....that alone makes me very sad.
Indeed I do know how crazy the game gets with all the colors, enemies and objects on screen at once. It's total chaos, and that's what I enjoyed about Deadlocked so much, and it always ran pretty well on the PS2, so hearing about this severe lag is really troubling.

Everything else you mentioned combined with this point will prolly ensure I never get the HD version now.
T_T

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 58872)