Escapist News Now: Total War: Rome 2 PAX Prime 2013 Preview

Total War: Rome 2 PAX Prime 2013 Preview

Check out what's new in Total War: Rome 2!

Watch Video

Total War: Rome 2 looks awesome. Been playing Rome: Total War in preparation for Rome 2. Can't wait to play it.

About the provinces, I'm not entirely clear on how they work. You need to capture all the towns in a province before you can recruit troops in any of them? Is it basically an advancement of Empire: Total War, where you could destroy outbuildings in a region to cripple it?

If anyone knows the answer, I'd be grateful.

Thunderous Cacophony:
About the provinces, I'm not entirely clear on how they work. You need to capture all the towns in a province before you can recruit troops in any of them? Is it basically an advancement of Empire: Total War, where you could destroy outbuildings in a region to cripple it?

From what I gather, it is not unlike shogun 2/empire where you have a central city governing a province which will be the primary means through which you do government (building and unit production, taxes, etc), and within the greater geographical area of the province there are smaller towns which provide a special service (mines, university etc.) It seems though that one needs to capture each of the smaller towns in order to consolidate control of a province rather than capture the capital and call it a day. As such, you could garrison armies to defend the smaller towns (or regions as it seems here), and thus require multiple battles by the attacker to actually capture a province, instead of one major siege battle.

Presumably this means that a province could also be crippled by attacking/capturing outlying towns, rather than just a quick "i raze the farms" like in shogun 2.

This is guesswork though. Can't know for sure until tuesday.

Quazimofo:

Thunderous Cacophony:

From what I gather, it is not unlike shogun 2/empire where you have a central city governing a province which will be the primary means through which you do government (building and unit production, taxes, etc), and within the greater geographical area of the province there are smaller towns which provide a special service (mines, university etc.) It seems though that one needs to capture each of the smaller towns in order to consolidate control of a province rather than capture the capital and call it a day. As such, you could garrison armies to defend the smaller towns (or regions as it seems here), and thus require multiple battles by the attacker to actually capture a province, instead of one major siege battle.

Presumably this means that a province could also be crippled by attacking/capturing outlying towns, rather than just a quick "i raze the farms" like in shogun 2.

if it is like that then its going to extend game time significantly

Quazimofo:

Thunderous Cacophony:

That actually sounds preferable for me. Attacking a city wasn't just a matter of walking men up to the front door and smashing it down. There were logistical decisions to make and this will encourage generals to send raiders/riders out while besieging a city to capture outlying provincial towns. It will also emulate the to-and-fro of two armies jostling for a favorable battlefield before a conflict. Wonder if fighting next to captured towns will grant your men a morale boost with the knowledge they have supply lines established or something...

well the loading times are quite extensive and the world map looks absolutely gorgeous. for some reason they went for a stylised version of the unit cards but the down side is that they are harder to tell apart at a glance and they no longer tell you how many men are left in the unit unless you roll over it. pain in the ass and a step backwards. needs to be modded asap.

I really want to know what gfx card they're using in that video, I've got everything on maximum settings and the game looks like utter crap.

wombat_of_war:
for some reason they went for a stylised version of the unit cards but the down side is that they are harder to tell apart at a glance and they no longer tell you how many men are left in the unit unless you roll over it. pain in the ass and a step backwards. needs to be modded asap.

I agree with this, the unit cards are all far too samey. A change to this would also be welcome. Also, where on earth is the units "fine adjustment" buttons. I keep losing formations when wanting to advance forwards/backwards.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here