It's Not a Gift, It's a Curse

Pages PREV 1 2

Farther than stars:

Zachary Amaranth:

Clankenbeard:
And with the slaying of his beloved girlfriend, Buggs swears a lifetime of constant torture and humiliation upon Daffy. "DUCK SEASON!"

I am red/green colorblind. But the girl rabbit (pearls) in the last panel looks brown. It may be grey, in which case I apologize for the question. The girl bunny in the first panel (dress) is white. So there does not appear to be a link between the characters in the first panel and the last. Is the duck simply burning the forest and striking out against all rabbits?

Alternatively, and more likely, it's just some other rabbit she's attacking because she's gone on a Batman-style crusade.

Naw, naw, the writer explained it already. It's an allusion to an Icelandic myth, where a man tries to flee while disguised as a woman. The bunny in the last panel is the male from the first.

I guess I have little choice now but to read Njal's Saga and verify the truth of this statement. I never imagined that the Escapist would have introduced me to Iceland's greatest blood fued saga.

Nick, you are out there. Not in Iceland--somewhere more...non-Euclidian...in a room full of anti-leptons and crushed spirits.

These are so bizarre.

...keep it up.

Clankenbeard:

I guess I have little choice now but to read Njal's Saga and verify the truth of this statement. I never imagined that the Escapist would have introduced me to Iceland's greatest blood fued saga.

Njáls saga starts slow but don't give up on it.
It has some of the best humor and violence in all of medieval literature.

"Now when they were come near to the house they knew not whether Gunnar were at home, and bade that some one would go straight up to the house and see if he could find out. But the rest sat them down on the ground.

Thorgrim the Easterling went and began to climb up on the hall; Gunnar sees that a red kirtle passed before the windowslit, and thrusts out the bill, and smote him on the middle. Thorgrim's feet slipped from under him, and he dropped his shield, and down he toppled from the roof.

Then he goes to Gizur and his band as they sat on the ground.

Gizur looked at him and said, "Well, is Gunnar at home?

"Find that out for yourselves," said Thorgrim; "but this I am sure of, that his bill is at home," and with that he fell down dead."

Translated by George Webbe Dasent [1861]

The entire saga can be found at Project Gutenberg
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/17919

Egils saga is even better!

Nick Lerman:
"Find that out for yourselves," said Thorgrim; "but this I am sure of, that his bill is at home," and with that he fell down dead."

You gotta get in the stinger before you kick it. That crazy Thorgrim. I bet he did a little stand-up comedy on the side while he wasn't mercilessly killing dozens of Icelanders. "What is the deal with Iceland? Is it ice or land? Make up your mind!"

I like this a lot. Keep this type of stuff up.

I think people are looking at the duck and rabbit as being a little too literal.

I understood the joke. And I liked the joke.

I found the visual aesthetic inconsistent.

One panel looked like it was produced traditionally. The other two looked like it had been produced in photoshop or had a filter applied.
I found this effect odd.

scw55:
I understood the joke. And I liked the joke.

I found the visual aesthetic inconsistent.

One panel looked like it was produced traditionally. The other two looked like it had been produced in photoshop or had a filter applied.
I found this effect odd.

That's a good criticism. I will work on tightening my consistency.

Can I ask; did you do some image manipulation on two of the panels to 'smooth' out the effect of using colouring pencils?

If so, have you tried using water soluble pencils? You can use them in the same manner as colouring pencils, but you apply water.
There are 'ink' variety of water soluble pencils that offer a more vibrant colour.

I think I used a PS paint daubs filter on the first two.
The water soluble stuff is great but I tend to use my kid's pencils on what ever paper is available.
I like to put the finished product in their lunch boxes unless it's too freaky.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here