Escapist News Now: Nintendo 2DS Hands-On Preview PAX Prime 2013

Nintendo 2DS Hands-On Preview PAX Prime 2013

Escapist News Now gets hands-on with the new Nintendo 2DS.

Watch Video

I remember talking to a friend about this thing, he was saying that the reason it's a tablet style now is because the most common problem people have with the regular DS is the hinge breaking, not to mention taking away the 3D would drop the price down, and since they made it for kids then it's a smart move to release it along with X&Y. I was arguing that it was garbage, because it's harder to use, it can't fit in any pocket short of cargo pants, and given how easily the regular screen breaks you're still going to have as many broken systems now that they are exposed, and it's only $40 cheaper which in my opinion isn't enough.

I've looked up some other hands on videos and there just doesn't seem to be a comfortable way to play any of the games that use the shoulder buttons, you have to move your hands away from the regular controls to hit them.

I would argue that if a child could break the hinges of a hand-held console they shouldn't probably own one.

The size is still an issue. The 2DS is the same length as a regular 3DS (fully open).

Since I am well established in using hand-held consoles, the only 'aspect' Nintendo are trying to draw me in is the PP.
I can't see how the amount of inconvenience the 2DS will cause justifies the amount it is cheaper.

Perhaps Nintendo were trying to hit too many demographics "Child friendlier. Cheaper. Beginner Friendly" and ended up with a product that sort of deters existing handheld console fans.

scw55:
I would argue that if a child could break the hinges of a hand-held console they shouldn't probably own one.

The size is still an issue. The 2DS is the same length as a regular 3DS (fully open).

Since I am well established in using hand-held consoles, the only 'aspect' Nintendo are trying to draw me in is the PP.
I can't see how the amount of inconvenience the 2DS will cause justifies the amount it is cheaper.

Perhaps Nintendo were trying to hit too many demographics "Child friendlier. Cheaper. Beginner Friendly" and ended up with a product that sort of deters existing handheld console fans.

I'm not sure if I've bothered you with this already but the 2DS isn't actually aimed at existing hand held fans and they aren't trying to draw you in. It's basically for parents who either don't want to spend much on this console or are worried about the 3D damaging the eyes of their kids.the shape is better for kids too since it's more like a gameboy and likely more durable.

werewolfsfury:

scw55:

I'm not sure if I've bothered you with this already but the 2DS isn't actually aimed at existing hand held fans and they aren't trying to draw you in. It's basically for parents who either don't want to spend much on this console or are worried about the 3D damaging the eyes of their kids.the shape is better for kids too since it's more like a gameboy and likely more durable.

I know. The lady in the video said it was aimed at:

Children
None-handheld console users/none gamers.
People who want access to 3DS games but are put off the 3DS's price point ([B]Me[/b])

A 3DS without the 3D and can't be folded. There, saved you 4 minutes.

I'm not against it, I guess it's nice to have the option.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here