Escape to the Movies: Riddick

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Riddick

MovieBob goes all Vin Diesel on his review of Riddick.

Watch Video

Damnit.

For some reason I really want Riddick to work, those games were amazing and I loved pitch black.

"Fucked Straight" Still better then how they handled Batwoman's Marriage.

I really loved the idea of Riddick (Star Wars meets D&D, hell yes) but the execution has never lived up to what it could be. I'll still check this one out though.

I was surprised you didn't make a Riddikulus joke.

I saw it yesterday at an early screening. I liked the movie, but then again I like the Riddick character having played and owning Escaping from Butcher Bay.

Many of the complaints about the Chronicles of Riddick was that it was nothing like Pitch Black. So I wasn't surprised when this movie went back to theme and formula.

Have to admit was a little sad to they didn't really continue on the whole Necromonger storyline in this movie.

I'll say that if you liked Pitch Black then you'll like this movie as well more so if you're familiar with Pitch Black.

Oh hey, it's Starbuck.

Oh, and sexism... or something. Well, I'm sure that's going to make this comment thread an absolute joy.

*bail*

It's always fun to see people desperately try and turn something limp into "a thing".

Didn't Vin Diesel once say Pitch Black would be The Hobbit to Chronicles of Riddick?

Yeah, nice try, Vin.

Soooo I'll just watch pitch black again till this one comes to home video? Aight.

The games apparently do a better job of expanding the Riddick-verse anyway, and are pretty good, so at least I have those.

Zhukov:
Oh hey, it's Starbuck.

Oh, and sexism... or something. Well, I'm sure that's going to make this comment thread an absolute joy.

*bail*

Hopefully people won't overreact and start calling for blood. Then again, this is the internet...

OT: How long is Bob going to keep that stinger about his book? Shouting "BUY MY BOOK" was funny at first when it was coming after his many and varied attempts to sell it post-episode, but now it's just kind of irritating. It's fine if he wants to sell it, I just wish he would try a less grating method.

I never cared for the movies. But the games were amazing. As long as they make another one I'll be a happy camper.

Disappointing. I was hoping it would follow up the last one's plot. "If Image Comics had done Star Wars" was actually something I enjoyed watching.

I liked Pitch Black (although Chronicles of Riddick I enjoyed more) and was about to put this on my to-see list except....

Do they really do that with Sackhoff's character? Just the theme alone of "fucked straight" is enough for me to either not see it or set it aside. Damn. Why is this even a theme?

Alright, glad I know.

DVS BSTrD:

At first, my brain imagined it as a version of being "Scared Straight". "Yep, just had sexual relations with someone of the opposite gender. Now I feel compelled to give up drugs and alcohol and contribute to my community!" Actual version makes just as much sense. =/ As for Batwoman's marriage... stranger things have happened in superhero comics, so I don't see what the fuss against it is.

Having been (according to Bob) the only other person in the world who gave a crap about the plot of Chronicles of Riddick, this sounds... disappointing. Pitch Black was fun, but not nearly as interesting.

Also, Bob, regarding the new book ad at the end... a lampshade is still a lampshade. :P

Loved chronicles of riddick, will probably love this one :)
as a matter of fact, I just love this particular brand of b-movies. riddick, scorpion king, xXx etc.
make more of those! they are funny, entertaining, and unlike, say for instance, movie critics: not particularly pretentious.

The most bizarre thing I remember is being in a table top games store and finding a very expensive, very nicely done, annotated D&D book, with introduction by Vin Diesel ( http://www.amazon.com/30-Years-Adventure-Dungeons-Dragons/dp/0786934980 ).

On a different topic, you think Dinobots will be better than Robocop with batman's armor?

EDIT: fixed link

DVS BSTrD:

If I'm not mistaken, they handled her marriage by just not doing it. Which is a shame, but for this thing? I think they should have done the same. ;p

Also; Yes, the new Robocop looks very very bad. Why are they trying so hard to make him look like Batman?

You know, you're missing an important fact about the Critic reference. In the show, they pulled those cardboard stand-ups and destroyed them because they were annoying people to death. But three videos now, full of "Buy My Book". You trying to see if you can become as universally reviled as Jay Sherman?

I like Riddick and the genre. Its different enough to appeal to me. I don't know why everyone expects every movie to be stellar. Sometimes a movie is just there to entertain you for two hours and it looks like this film accomplished that. I'm excited to see this one.

I hoped it would be something completely different than the first two.
Really liked the idea that this franchise would just jump through genres.
The first was sci-fi horror, the second was sci-fi action, so i hoped the third would be a crime or spy thriller.
With him being a governmental leader at the seconds end, would make even sense.

Vin, please, just stick to making games, you're really really good at it, so ,we don't need any more Riddick movies, just keep him a video game character, that's where he's best.

How come there hasn't been a movie of Riddick's Escape from Butcher Bay? Why did they just redo Pitch Black instead of that.

They should really make a movie out of Butcher Bay. I mean, Riddick's defining characteristic is that he's a brutally efficient escape artist, yet in all his films he rarely has anything interesting or challenging to escape from.

It's like making a film about Houdini, except it's a slasher film and Houdini is just some hard ass.

Just from the trailers, this felt like a retread of Pitch Black. Guess I'm not missing much this weekend.

Nice to know that one of, if not the only, good thing about Riddick was Dave Batista's role. Makes me feel positive on him being cast in Guardians of the Galaxy. Maybe if Vin Diesel gets the role of Groot, he'll actually turn in a good performance. He did a great job when he portrayed the title character in The Iron Giant, so perhaps, much like Chris Pine, he's better as a voice actor. OK, its been said that Groot might be played via motion capture suit, but still...

That ad at the end was awesome, but I have to admit I don't know what it is a reference to. I just thought it was mocking the people who were annoyed with your actual ad for your book.

Sylocat:
I was surprised you didn't make a Riddikulus joke.

'Riddikule' made it into the obligatory credits pun.

Speaking of the credits, was that supposed to be Robocop or Kryptonian power armor from Man Of Steel 2?

Movie is about what I expected but I disagree with the preamble. Pitch Black was actually really well received by those of its rather niche demographic at the time. There was a lot of love for that character and that role is actually what put Diesel into the limelight. F&F was far more commercially successful but that just elevated him to "future star".

So I don't think its right to say it would have been dismissed if not for his surging fame. It would be exactly what it is anyway, a cult flick. The problem with the sequel was just that it was a dumb movie.

Deimir:
Speaking of the credits, was that supposed to be Robocop or Kryptonian power armor from Man Of Steel 2?

Robocop

darn, I really thought his name in the credits would be "Criddick"

I saw the early screening as well yesterday. Its fun scifi junk. As an ending to the trilogy its pretty unfulfilling but on its own its good.

Really Bob your gonna give Bay another pass at a transformers movie? You know it'll only end in disappointment.

Skeleon:
That ad at the end was awesome, but I have to admit I don't know what it is a reference to. I just thought it was mocking the people who were annoyed with your actual ad for your book.

Here's the reference

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEznCRlWGwE&t=20m23s

Some things that they left out that makes this movie better in my eyes is that Riddick was made because of its fan base and people asking Vin Diesel to do another one. Not Movie Bobs assumption that all he does is want to stroke his own ego. Also they ran on a 38 million dollar budget this time which is half of that what it was with Chronicles of Riddick so yes. All in all they did a good job. Also I met Vin Diesel and got to talk to him personally long enough to support him, he is a nerd at heart, a giant musclebound nerd but still good people.

Also if your a straight male who hasn't thought about turning a lesbian straight then obviously you should just leave your man card at the door. All it is, is a harmless fantasy and people should just get over taking sexuality so damn serious.

Chronicles of Riddick is a definite case for Movie Defense Force!
One of the few SciFI movies I can watch beyond a third time these days.
e.g. District 9 was great, but I see no point in watching it beyond a second time.

And no mention of XXX? I am disappointed Bob, this is as much of 80s FUN Action Movie as it can get!

Pitch Black worked for the same reason Alien / Aliens worked. They were both scifi settings, but the plot didn't dwell on it or explain it. Chronicles or Riddick didn't work because they started trying to do all this scifi heavy world building. If they'd kept it small and built up to it more gradually it might have worked.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here