Escapist News Now: Pokemon X and Y Starters, New Features

Pokemon X and Y Starters, New Features

Nintendo has announced that your starters are kicking it old-school, back to Blue and Red days.

Watch Video

I really hope the annual fee for the Pokemon bank is reasonable, especially since it sounds like the uploading from Gen V to VI will require it (unless there's another method, or I've understood it wrong.) A high price for what it is could be a real pain.

JoJo:
I really hope the annual fee for the Pokemon bank is reasonable, especially since it sounds like the uploading from Gen V to VI will require it (unless there's another method, or I've understood it wrong.) A high price for what it is could be a real pain.

It's 5 bucks a year and the first month is free. Not all that bad a deal really.

Charizard, digivolve....I mean uuh 'mega evolve' using a thing I activate on my wrist which is totally not a digivice.

Crazy Zaul:
Charizard, digivolve....I mean uuh 'mega evolve' using a thing I activate on my wrist which is totally not a digivice.

I always thought Digimon copied Pokemon first anyways. You can't tell me that Agumon isn't just a talking Charmander sans a tail flame.

What I would like to know is where do I get those shelves?

Miss G.:

Crazy Zaul:

I always thought Digimon copied Pokemon first anyways. You can't tell me that Agumon isn't just a talking Charmander sans a tail flame.

Or what about Seadramon? The name sounds kiiiiinda similar to that of Seadra. Still, this does kinda seem like a Digimon concept applied to Pokemon. I guess I'm OK with it though.

I'm just really eager to know how much the annual fee will be. I know my sister will be jumping on the opportunity to transfer her Pokemon since she's got almost everyone now and I really want to get my Pokemon from Black and white over to Black and white 2 without ne need for a new DS.

Aw damn it. I was thinking that I'd pick Fennekin for sure but now that I know I can have Charmander again... 2 fire types in my team is a bit stupid but I want them both =(

I don't care if it's a sound strategy or not, but dammit, looks like I'm gonna be a Fire Pokemon trainer this first time around. I really want Fennekin, Charmander is my favorite, so not passing on him, and that Torchic they're giving away has Speed Boost...so yeah.

Knowing my luck the first two Gyms will be Water and Ground.

Yopaz:

Miss G.:

Crazy Zaul:

Or what about Seadramon? The name sounds kiiiiinda similar to that of Seadra. Still, this does kinda seem like a Digimon concept applied to Pokemon. I guess I'm OK with it though.

I'm just really eager to know how much the annual fee will be. I know my sister will be jumping on the opportunity to transfer her Pokemon since she's got almost everyone now and I really want to get my Pokemon from Black and white over to Black and white 2 without ne need for a new DS.

Well the price in Japan is around $5USD, so its not like its gonna be expensive. That's the price of fast food combo that covers the whole year, plus the first month will be free. They said that the bank will be used for future generations of Pokemon as well, so you wouldn't have that problem like what happened with having to start over from scratch because the 32 bit RSE/FRLG games weren't compatible with the 16 bit RBY/GSC games.

Auron225:
Aw damn it. I was thinking that I'd pick Fennekin for sure but now that I know I can have Charmander again... 2 fire types in my team is a bit stupid but I want them both =(

My team will have Fennekin, Charmander, the giveaway Torchic, and Litleo, how do you think I feel? At least they have secondary types like Psychic (it has Psybeam and Psychic as known moves on serebii.net - I trust them), Flying, Fighting and Normal so I'll still have some type coverage.

Miss G.:

Yopaz:

Miss G.:

Well the price in Japan is around $5USD, so its not like its gonna be expensive. That's the price of fast food combo that covers the whole year, plus the first month will be free. They said that the bank will be used for future generations of Pokemon as well, so you wouldn't have that problem like what happened with having to start over from scratch because the 32 bit RSE/FRLG games weren't compatible with the 16 bit RBY/GSC games.

That's not the case here... that's about one third of a fast food combo here :p. I could also use that for quite a few years before it closes up to the price of a second DS/3DS.

Joking aside, I'm not really worried about the price, I just like knowing. It's kinda a failing of mine. I check out the prices of new CPUs, graphics cards, books, TVs, media systems and the PS4 and Xbox One even though I am not planning to buy it most of the time. With Pokemon Bank I know I'll get it I just want to know the number I will have to deal with.

Yopaz:

Miss G.:

Yopaz:

That's not the case here... that's about one third of a fast food combo here :p. I could also use that for quite a few years before it closes up to the price of a second DS/3DS.

Joking aside, I'm not really worried about the price, I just like knowing. It's kinda a failing of mine. I check out the prices of new CPUs, graphics cards, books, TVs, media systems and the PS4 and Xbox One even though I am not planning to buy it most of the time. With Pokemon Bank I know I'll get it I just want to know the number I will have to deal with.

Well, its not like there's a long wait 'til we know what the price outside of Japan will be. This does mean that if I upload all my pokes from my gen 5 cartridges I can finally start over and play them from the beginning whenever I get the urge or actually trade them in, that's at least $80USD at Gamestop.

Miss G.:

Yopaz:

Miss G.:

Well, its not like there's a long wait 'til we know what the price outside of Japan will be. This does mean that if I upload all my pokes from my gen 5 cartridges I can finally start over and play them from the beginning whenever I get the urge or actually trade them in, that's at least $80USD at Gamestop.

Yeah, just another month and 5 days(?) left for the price to be certain and for the game to be on my 3DS ready to play. I will transfer that Dragonite I trained in Pokemon White over to a new game at last! I am really loving the idea of this new feature. Now if I can use this from the start I can use this to get all 3 starters...

Original starters? Epic. Very little I've seen so far that puts me off.

So pumped.

Mega evolution sounds mega lame.

Miss G.:

Auron225:

My team will have Fennekin, Charmander, the giveaway Torchic, and Litleo, how do you think I feel? At least they have secondary types like Psychic (it has Psybeam and Psychic as known moves on serebii.net - I trust them), Flying, Fighting and Normal so I'll still have some type coverage.

I forgot all about Litleo, dammit! You know he's gonna evolve into some badass fire lion thing. Sigh, well, 4 fire types ain't so bad I guess...

Verrik:

Miss G.:

Auron225:

I forgot all about Litleo, dammit! You know he's gonna evolve into some badass fire lion thing. Sigh, well, 4 fire types ain't so bad I guess...

If it makes you feel any better, I just remembered I wanted a Fletchling... I'll probably have to have 2 teams for the main story or something, my mostly fire type team and a more balanced one with all my other favorites. So, Team 1: Fennekin, Torchic, Fletchling, probably Skrelp/Clauncher, Litleo, Inkay. Team 2: Charmander, Helioptile/Dedenne, Swirlix, Pancham, Gogoat, and whatever evolves into Noivern. I've pre-ordered both X & Y so I'll probably have at least one balanced team between the two of them.

Miss G.:

Crazy Zaul:

Actually, Digimon came first!

Digimon started with a tamagotchi thing in 1997, while the first Pokemon games came out in 1998. But Digimon didn't start gaining widespread popularity till the anime came out later, so a lot of people assumed it was a Pokemon rip-off.

Cantrix:

Miss G.:

Crazy Zaul:

Digimon started with a tamagotchi thing in 1997, while the first Pokemon games came out in 1998. But Digimon didn't start gaining widespread popularity till the anime came out later, so a lot of people assumed it was a Pokemon rip-off.

Tajiri started to produce Pokemon in 1990, it took six years to finish and the original Red & Green thus got released in '96. Unless my math is wrong, both 1990 and '96 came before 1997. That's why I say Digimon ripped Pokemon off first.

Miss G.:

Cantrix:

Miss G.:

Tajiri started to produce Pokemon in 1990, it took six years to finish and the original Red & Green thus got released in '96. Unless my math is wrong, both 1990 and '96 came before 1997. That's why I say Digimon ripped Pokemon off first.

Really? I didn't know they'd been in production that early. In which case, I apologise, it seems I was incorrect.

Cantrix:

Miss G.:

Cantrix:

Really? I didn't know they'd been in production that early. In which case, I apologise, it seems I was incorrect.

It's ok. I only corrected you because you mentioned the US release date (which was indeed in '98) as if it was the only release date, when it's been quite established that with the exception of the upcoming X & Y, the Japanese release dates are usually 1-2 years before the rest of the world.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here