EXP: Bad Marriage Movie Reviews - Blue Jasmine

Bad Marriage Movie Reviews - Blue Jasmine

John and Jessi review Woody Allen's latest masterpiece Blue Jasmine.

Watch Video

Ok not sure if this series is completely hitting the spot for me because I'm going through a divorce or what, but I'm ready for more of these. Hilarious guys!

I understand the idea behind the routine, but the acting isn't believable and thus doesn't register to me as funny.

The review also failed to mention anything about how the movie succeeded. Why was it a good movie?

I actually made an account so I could review this new show. It was that bad. I found it almost painful to watch, the 'act' was just horribe, unfunny passive agressiveness and the review was non-existent. Don't tell me what happens in a film, tell me why it does or doesn't work as a film for you. As in review the film, not repeat the summary.

How many episodes did they anticipate this would last? It wasn't a movie review so much as just saying the key plot points followed by a generic "his and her" opinions on movies in general. Guys like X girls like Y is not a premise you can build a video series out of.

ryukage_sama:
I understand the idea behind the routine, but the acting isn't believable and thus doesn't register to me as funny.
The review also failed to mention anything about how the movie succeeded. Why was it a good movie?

TippyMetal:
I actually made an account so I could review this new show. It was that bad. I found it almost painful to watch, the 'act' was just horribe, unfunny passive agressiveness and the review was non-existent. Don't tell me what happens in a film, tell me why it does or doesn't work as a film for you. As in review the film, not repeat the summary.

Stryphoon:
How many episodes did they anticipate this would last? It wasn't a movie review so much as just saying the key plot points followed by a generic "his and her" opinions on movies in general. Guys like X girls like Y is not a premise you can build a video series out of.

Jeez, guys, give em a chance. Criticism is important, but you don't need to be mean about it.

Everyone hated Jimquisition when it first came out, and now it's one of the best (and most popular) shows on the site.

OT: Um... yeah, I've gotta agree with ryukage_sama - the routine wasn't quite getting there.

Or maybe it was - the fake arguing sounded authentic enough to make me uncomfortable, but not funny enough to make me laugh.

So maybe what this needs is to be less real?

Jim had some problems finding his voice too - it took him a couple episodes to figure out his particular brand of funny. You guys have something here. Maybe try a few adjustments and see what you can come up with?

Well, this week you did talk more about the movie. I only watched this again because it was in the top frame and I wanted to give a second chance after the Kickass 2 review. I have to resonate with the above poster about the acting. But one of the reasons I [personally] didn't connect with this performance was - I could go to rottentomatoes.com and get everything said from the summary. I didn't learn anything else about the actors, directors, script or anything non-superficial about it. There was no depth here. Maybe that is a problem with balance between humor vs content or the inevitable comparison with MovieBob on this site.

I don't think this 'show' could be any lazier if it tried.
It's two amateur actors sitting in front of a green-screen recounting the plot of a movie they saw recently.
Oh, but with a "deteriorating marriage" gimmick to make it "stand out" from the 1000's of similar shows. Because everybody loves to watch an awkward, mis-matched couple with no chemistry fake-bicker with each other, right?

I don't mean to sound vitriolic; in fact I'm being fairly objective. I just literally can't find a single redeeming quality:
The acting is unconvincing;
The writing is mediocre at best (both as a movie review, and purely as a piece of entertainment);
The green screen effects are pointless and distracting, not to mention barely visible;
The characters are unlikeable and cliché (particularly the 'disapproving/bitchy maternal figure' which seems to be the default for 90% of female characters in media these days[1])...

I think you need to go back to the drawing board on this one.
There are thousands of amateur movie review series on the Internet. If you can't deliver anything new or highly polished, what's the point? Just seems like a waste of everyone's time.

[1] See: Skylar from Breaking Bad, Lori from Walking Dead, Carmela from Sopranos, etc

James Joseph Emerald:
I don't think this 'show' could be any lazier if it tried.
It's two amateur actors sitting in front of a green-screen recounting the plot of a movie they saw recently.
Oh, but with a "deteriorating marriage" gimmick to make it "stand out" from the 1000's of similar shows. Because everybody loves to watch an awkward, mis-matched couple with no chemistry fake-bicker with each other, right?

I don't mean to sound vitriolic; in fact I'm being fairly objective. I just literally can't find a single redeeming quality:
The acting is unconvincing;
The writing is mediocre at best (both as a movie review, and purely as a piece of entertainment);
The green screen effects are pointless and distracting, not to mention barely visible;
The characters are unlikeable and cliché (particularly the 'disapproving/bitchy maternal figure' which seems to be the default for 90% of female characters in media these days[1])...

I think you need to go back to the drawing board on this one.
There are thousands of amateur movie review series on the Internet. If you can't deliver anything new or highly polished, what's the point? Just seems like a waste of everyone's time.

What this guy said.
Unless it does like the Jimquisition and seriously shapes up, I can see it going down the same apocalypse lane Game Dogs did.
Seriously, don't be the next Game Dogs. Either get better, or bow out gracefully.

[1] See: Skylar from Breaking Bad, Lori from Walking Dead, Carmela from Sopranos, etc

Hey guys! Thanks very much for the comments. We produce this one in house for a sister site called EveryJoe, and thought we'd share on EXP to see what sort of feedback we'd get. We don't get as many comments on the EXP material as we get on the main channels so the feedback is welcome. It suggests to me at least that the concept has legs (since people check it out more than the other EXP shows).

For those of you who watched each of the episodes to date, which one was the closest to the direction you think it needs to go? They each had a slightly different tone - Kick Ass being more over-the-top (taking his 8 year old to see the movie) versus this one being more focused on the review and the disagreement being subtle. My sense is that the show should be more over the top rather than less.

As an aside - the two reviewers roomed together for over a year, go see the movies together, and write their own (genuine) thoughts on the movie. So the opinions and uncomfortable chemistry aren't really "acted". It's a Reality is Unrealistic problem. (Which is why my sense is that the Kick-Ass episode, being the most over-the-top, was the best one).

Archon:
Hey guys! Thanks very much for the comments. We produce this one in house for a sister site called EveryJoe, and thought we'd share on EXP to see what sort of feedback we'd get. We don't get as many comments on the EXP material as we get on the main channels so the feedback is welcome. It suggests to me at least that the concept has legs (since people check it out more than the other EXP shows).

For those of you who watched each of the episodes to date, which one was the closest to the direction you think it needs to go? They each had a slightly different tone - Kick Ass being more over-the-top (taking his 8 year old to see the movie) versus this one being more focused on the review and the disagreement being subtle. My sense is that the show should be more over the top rather than less.

As an aside - the two reviewers roomed together for over a year, go see the movies together, and write their own (genuine) thoughts on the movie. So the opinions and uncomfortable chemistry aren't really "acted". It's a Reality is Unrealistic problem. (Which is why my sense is that the Kick-Ass episode, being the most over-the-top, was the best one).

That might actually be one of the problems. It's written decently, but delivered flatly.

That said, it does fall into the uncomfortable space where you recognize those people in your life and are trying to have small talk with them at a dinner party while the're in the middle of a fight. Nothing about that feels comfortable and is really a niche product rather than one for general appeal.

Still, better than Jimquisition in my opinion (no, I will not let that go)...

PS: Got a link to their other videos?

The Gentleman:

Archon:

That might actually be one of the problems. It's written decently, but delivered flatly.

That said, it does fall into the uncomfortable space where you recognize those people in your life and are trying to have small talk with them at a dinner party while the're in the middle of a fight. Nothing about that feels comfortable and is really a niche product rather than one for general appeal.

Still, better than Jimquisition in my opinion (no, I will not let that go)...

PS: Got a link to their other videos?

Thank you very much for the feedback - I appreciate it. I get your meaning entirely - when "dark comedy" is too dark and not comic enough.

You can find the other videos at www.youtube.com/everyjoe/. That's the main channel for EveryJoe's videos. Allow me to warn you in advance that it's a site that's much more like Maxim than The Escapist - different strokes for different folks, etc. The same crew also do "Ask EveryJoe" which is a...sex advice show, sort of.

DrStrangelove:
Bad Marriage Movie Reviews - Blue Jasmine

John and Jessi review Woody Allen's latest masterpiece Blue Jasmine.

Watch Video

0:32 Irony! You're soaking in it. XD

2:06 Someone sounds a little bitter. LOL

2:20 The feeling's mutual,I'm sure.

3:08 Just like this review? XD

3:34 And hopefully, you'll be less of a jerk. But I highly doubt that.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here