Zero Punctuation: Saints Row 4

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Thanks for the post as always Yahtzee : )

I mostly enjoyed SR IV, also the poking fun at Metal Gear was lots of fun and indeed made the whole point of that game mockingly silly : )

I found SR IV to be a bit too crash prone, thankfully the game saves constantly so I did not lose too much progress. I had a buddy of mine also suffered the same/similar crash issues as well on his PS3.

Yes once you get the super powers it is pretty pointless to drive a vehicle. They even allow the "car radio" to play while you are running around in super powered mode. Zipping back in and out of the matrix thing got tiring though. "Here do this mission and then come back because I need to talk to you..." Wow really? I mean, you are talking to me now so why not just say it uh now? lol

Also the other bummer is the game focused too much around the already existing activity modes. Sometimes it would break out of that mold but it did not last very long. hrm.

Given the ending I figure they will pull a hyper dimensional rabbit or a reboot of the series. Honestly I am leery of reboots as they are difficult to do and prone to failure but at this point it feels like to me that is the best direction.

Lastly, I could not escape that nagging feeling that it felt like a plump DLC vs a whole new game. This feeling maybe due to the heavy recycling of existing game assets.

Overall SR IV was still a fun romp and it was great to see what they were going to make fun of next. I do hope to see SR V released in the near future : )

I'm glad Saints Row 4 exists as a game. It proved that fun does not make a game good and that people want more than stupid, mindless killy-stompy-bang-bang game.

Challenging enough to make you not feel overpowered? I disagree entirely, i'm playing on normal and the game has been a complete cakewalk. And I somehow get the feeling that it was intended.

All in all the game feels like a DLC that has been stretched out.

I've never played a Saints Row game, but I might be willing to give this one a try once it comes down in price.

I think the devs of Saint's Row IV watched Yahtzee's previous reviews of the older SR games and saw it as a challenge to really outdo themselves on the wacky scale. They must have said "Sod it! GTA will be the serious and gritty character-driven crime game, and we'll go full pants-on-head crazy! We'll even outquirk Suda 51!"

Mr. Q:
Kinda surprised he didn't mention the option to use Nolan North as your character's voice. No, really. You can have Nolan North voice your character.

Perhaps its time for the makers of Saints Row to hang it up and try something new... Like teaming up with Yahtzee to finally make his dream game Mankind Has Yet To Recognize My Genius. If only for the main reason which is to see how he'd run with a sandbox crime game. Could be somewhere in the middle between insane parody and serious tone. Then again, he did describe one character having the face of Frank Zappa with nuclear missiles for legs and voiced by Liam Neeson.

You are referring to Captain Sunshine, who hovers over the player character in MHYTRMG and showers him with rose petals and friendship. At this point, Yahtzee and Volition teaming up for MHYTRMG is the only next logical step.

canadamus_prime:
I've never played a Saints Row game, but I might be willing to give this one a try once it comes down in price.

Be warned, the game is a love letter to fans and the franchise as a whole. There is a lot of content referencing the first 3 games. I'd watch all the cutscenes of the first game on Youtube (or a LP if you have the time), play the second game, and watch a LP of the third on Youtube. Or jut watch LPs/the cutscenes of all the games. You do lose a bit from just the cutscenes, though.

Darth_Payn:
You are referring to Captain Sunshine, who hovers over the player character in MHYTRMG and showers him with rose petals and friendship. At this point, Yahtzee and Volition teaming up for MHYTRMG is the only next logical step.

Captain Dynamite, actually. Mentioned in the Fallout 3 review.

GamerMage:

Eh,I haven't played the games myself,but I have watched LPs of 3 and 4 (That's still going). And while I doubt I'd ever buy SR: The Third full price, I did mostly like the story to it. Or something close enough to it in this game. LOL jk There were also characters I liked in SR3; Oleg,Zimos, Angel (Angel-Mania! XD) to name a few.

For the most part, the characters of The Third were fine, I liked most of them (Kinsie's one of my favourite characters from the Series), of course even that had it's slip ups what with how they handled Johnny Gat. My problem was with the schizophrenic tone, mostly. I have a bunch of other complaints but it'd generally boil down to that.

Ah, Saints Row IV. Been looking forward to this game for a long time. Time to force my opinion of it onto everyone else!

Overall, Saints Row IV is not the best game out there and it is definitely not the smartest. But it doesn't try to be. What it tries to be, is fun. And that, it succeeds very well at. Highly recommended.

That is all.

Darth_Payn:
I think the devs of Saint's Row IV watched Yahtzee's previous reviews of the older SR games and saw it as a challenge to really outdo themselves on the wacky scale. They must have said "Sod it! GTA will be the serious and gritty character-driven crime game, and we'll go full pants-on-head crazy! We'll even outquirk Suda 51!"

Mr. Q:
Kinda surprised he didn't mention the option to use Nolan North as your character's voice. No, really. You can have Nolan North voice your character.

Perhaps its time for the makers of Saints Row to hang it up and try something new... Like teaming up with Yahtzee to finally make his dream game Mankind Has Yet To Recognize My Genius. If only for the main reason which is to see how he'd run with a sandbox crime game. Could be somewhere in the middle between insane parody and serious tone. Then again, he did describe one character having the face of Frank Zappa with nuclear missiles for legs and voiced by Liam Neeson.

Actually, his name was Captain Dynamite. He's referenced in Yahtzee's Fallout 3 review when he expressed his concern of Bethesda's habit of using top actors like Liam Neeson and Patrick Steward only briefly in their games.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/420-Fallout-3

And, yes, Yahtzee and Volition should team up like yesterday. Even if they did this as a Kickstarter, they would be getting mad bank imo.

This is my GOTY, I laughed, cried with laughter and killed with dubstep. What's not to love?

MiskWisk:

The Last Melon:
Okay, here are the Wikiquote pages for Yahtzee and Zero Punctuation. The time is 12:14. Let's see how long this takes...

Someone has added it. So, if 12:14 is GMT (I highly doubt it), it took 5 hours 40 mins (or at least that is how long when I checked, again assuming GMT).

Also, if you're going to make me write a captcha, it helps if the captcha thingy doesn't crash on me.

It would be GMT +10

RedEyesBlackGamer:

canadamus_prime:

Be warned, the game is a love letter to fans and the franchise as a whole. There is a lot of content referencing the first 3 games. I'd watch all the cutscenes of the first game on Youtube (or a LP if you have the time), play the second game, and watch a LP of the third on Youtube. Or jut watch LPs/the cutscenes of all the games. You do lose a bit from just the cutscenes, though.

So I should play through at least one of the other games first then?

I think the interesting thing about the Saints series is that it really hasn't ever been the same thing twice. Sure there were similarities, and the overall genre was the same, but it really hasn't ever been real keen on true sequels. This of course leads to the ridiculous rifts in the fanbase with the SR2 crowd being high and mighty and what not, but putting that aside, I think that's a fantastic thing.

Other games tend to just do the same thing but different, or in a different place. The Elder Scrolls, for example, is basically just the same game with upgraded graphics and streamlined systems as time goes on. Saints Row, though? It always feels like a new game. For good or for ill, that was always neat to me, and I'd like to see more games actually do something similar. Doesn't look too likely though, what with every IP and it's mother being treated like a TV show series these days. Literally the only other IP that seems to be doing something similar is Bioware's Dragon Age, but I'm pretty sure that's unintentional.

IDK it's just cool. I really love all four of the games for different reasons, but I can see how their wild deviations might put a ton of people off, especially when we're used to sequels being essentially the same thing plus some extra shit, instead of new takes on the old formulas.

Evonisia:
Shame the series can't make up it's mind on what to name the sequel.
Original name
The Third
IV

I've no idea what they possibly do next.

5AINT5
ROW

Obviously.

...Did he just say he doesn't like Johnny Gat? You are dead to me Yahtzee.

Okay not really but what the hell man. :(

Anyway I would say that Saints Row 4 manages to be better than Saints Row The Third because it actually finds its own new identity as a Prototype clone with Saints Row gunplay instead of being Saints Row 2 but shit like Saints Row The Third was. Not that Saints Row The Third is shit as in its a bad game. It's still a good game, it just plain doesn't compete with Saints Row 2 at all.

And on that note I will never understand the people who claim 1 and 2 were just GTA clones but 3 did something different. Did they play the games? 3 didn't do a goddamn thing different except for stripping out tons of content and trying to sell some of it back as DLC. And it had a giant dildo you can beat people with which was awesome (like I said, it's overall not a bad game) but doesn't actually change that they're the exact same kind of game.

mjc0961:
...Did he just say he doesn't like Johnny Gat? You are dead to me Yahtzee.

Okay not really but what the hell man. :(

I haven't really saw much of SR4 but from what I've heard Johnny is just a thing that likes to kiss the boss' arse. In SR2 he had a lot of respect for him. In The Third he's chucked away in the first five seconds so I guess it comes as no surprise to hear a negative comment about him at this point.

Danceofmasks:

Evonisia:
Original name
The Third
IV

5AINT5
ROW

Obviously.

Yeah, totally.

The Last Melon:
Okay, here are the Wikiquote pages for Yahtzee and Zero Punctuation. The time is 12:14. Let's see how long this takes...

Well, they approached it with an admirable lack of self-awareness. Well done, Wikiquotes.

OT: Seeing how I much preferred Saints Row 3 over Saints Row 2, I can only assume this is my GOTY.

Now, if only I had money...

Danceofmasks:

Evonisia:
Original name
The Third
IV

5AINT5
ROW

Obviously.

And then assumedly Saints Row F? I actually really enjoyed playing this, but I probably won't pick it up again, especially not till they patch the "Where's my cape?" achievement glitch.

HOLY SPACEBALLS!
I thought he was gonna hate on SR4. His complaints of clothing customization and lack of cutscenes before minigames from SR3 went nowhere.
But I guess if you take SR4 for what it is and not what I wanted it to be, it really is a mess. A really fun mess. A bunch of toys parodying and referencing things you know but they do it pretty well.

Piorn:
But it didn't just immitate, it mocked a lot.
"Hey baby, this Snake is 100% Solid~".
And most importantly, the gameplay didn't suck complete ass, quite the opposite in fact, which made it ok to me.
There have been too many "comedy" games that had gameplay as an afterthought, and while SR4 wasn't really original in any way, it copied enough of the good bits to justify mocking other bits.

Personally, I had a lot of fun with it, even though it was my first entry in the series and I had to puzzle the characters together myself.

Oh God, that's the worst possible entry into a series somebody could have, SR4 is barely a SR game, SR4 and SR+SR2 have barely anything in common.
-
I get the feeling that all the fans of SR2 have just accepted that it's never coming back and this is the new Saint's Row...

AJey:
I'm glad Saints Row 4 exists as a game. It proved that fun does not make a game good and that people want more than stupid, mindless killy-stompy-bang-bang game.

Proved that to who?

You?

I could counter that Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs proved that people want more than a good story in their games, and that would prove exactly as much (possibly more, because people are actually QUITE upset about the new Amnesia, while less than half are upset about the new Saints Row).

AJey:

I disagree, if anything, games like Saints Row 4 prove that we need more games that don't take themselves too seriously. After playing Bioshock: Infinite, The Last of Us, Tomb Raider, then Far Cry 3 all in succession, I needed a game like Saints Row 4. Gaming today tries waaaaaay too hard to be serious, dark, and/or gritty, and while none of that is necessarily bad, having the occasional "mindless killy-stompy-bang-bang" game to keep some variety in this saturated industry is needed.

I have a feeling the Boss would have more problems with getting elected than just a cockney accent.

So this game is just one big mess, but somehow Volition has managed to make it work? That's pretty impressive.

Once again Yahtzee supplies us with an excellent name for a hip indie band, in this case Happy Hour At The Redneck Sex Dungeon.

Wait, hang on a minute, that 'Snorting drugs and then choking on their own hip bones' line...is that a subtle Brass Eye reference?

canadamus_prime:

RedEyesBlackGamer:

canadamus_prime:

I'd highly recommend it.

lacktheknack:

AJey:

Proved that to who?

You?

I could counter that Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs proved that people want more than a good story in their games, and that would prove exactly as much (possibly more, because people are actually QUITE upset about the new Amnesia, while less than half are upset about the new Saints Row).

For starters to me, yes. But there are people who share that opinion. Here's the thing, I finished that game and i enjoyed it (to the point). But I would never call it good. Lets look at it objectively.

Story - simple, serviceable story without much complexity or meaning as a whole. It just acted as glue for other elements.
Characters - one-dimensional. They have their little quirk or feature that they play at, that's it. No development or arcs. Just chess pieces for main character to play with and get upgrades from.
Mechanics - it is a game built around gimmicks. Superpowers, odd weapons, strange vehicles - all are fun for 10-20 minutes, as a joke, for a laugh. But then it gets old very quickly and you start looking for a best hings to deal with any particular situation. You use superpowers to move around, or kill enemies efficiently, or use the best weapons. They even built all the challenges around those gimmicks to force players to use them more often. That's not very smart design. Gimmicks wear off very quickly.
Minigames - minigames that for some reason were made to progress the game, never feel fun, or challenging, or in any way plot related. "Complete this or that and you will destabilize the simulation" - sounds like a silly excuse than an actual plot point. Besides, you can do all the jumping, shooting and exploding outside those minigames. They seem out of place.
Series - SR4 made the established world obsolete. Sprinting is faster than driving, powers and moves are better than any weapon, gang members are simple unnecessary, most upgrades (character and weapons) are useless. It's like they were not even making Saint Row game, but a parody or an expansion at best.

Game doenst offer many interesting concepts to play with, or interesting characters, or amazing story. It's just silly, mindless, pew-pew fun. There's nothing bad with that, but that alone cannot make a game good.

TheHomelessHero:

AJey:

I disagree, if anything, games Saints Row 4 prove that we need more games that don't take themselves too seriously. After playing Bioshock: Infinite, The Last of Us, Tomb Raider, then Far Cry 3 all in succession, I needed a game like Saints Row 4. Gaming today tries waaaaaay too hard to be serious, dark, and/or gritty, and while none of that is necessarily bad, having the occasional "mindless killy-stompy-bang-bang" game to keep some variety in this saturated industry is needed.

You dont understand. I am not against it. I played it, finished it, enjoyed it. I just dont feel the element of fun alone is enough to make a game good. Relaxing, even therapeutic, yes. But not necessarily good.

I liked how SR4 was all over the place. It created a delightful variance of pacing.

The writing was pretty good. I liked hearing homies interact, too.

It doesn't hurt that there's 2 of my favorite wrestlers in the game.

The referrences in general really hit home with me, though 'm old enouigh to catch most of'em. Especially an infamous fight scene towards the end.

The Sound Track had many many many songs that were perfect for the use of super powers. The Touch, and Song 2 easily. Plus FINALLY having the ability to listen to the radio while on foot? Massive bonus.

The weapon selection was surprisingly big. A glowing blue penetrator? Awesome!

I really appreciated that they referrenced SR 1, 2, and 3. I never played 1.
4 is definitely one of the best entries, 2 being up there.

The game's pretty dern nice, really. My only complaint is the same complaint I have for a lot of sandboxes. Story's over!... what now?

And now that the saints are over, more or less, 'm kinda sad. 'll miss flying Purple, black, and Gold. I was never a huge fan of purple, black and silver.

RedEyesBlackGamer:

canadamus_prime:

RedEyesBlackGamer:

I'd highly recommend it.

Ok then, I'll have to see if I can find them.

Yeah I played it (screw Australia laws), drug mission and all. Contrary to belief, I did not feel the urge to take drugs and run around the city.

It was ok. The start was amazing, the end is amazing but the middle wildly varies between fun and tedium. Not really worth the money it costs right now, unless you liked the previous installments, a lot.

AJey:

lacktheknack:

AJey:

Proved that to who?

You?

For starters to me, yes. But there are people who share that opinion. Here's the thing, I finished that game and i enjoyed it (to the point). But I would never call it good. Lets look at it objectively.

Story - simple, serviceable story without much complexity or meaning as a whole. It just acted as glue for other elements.
Characters - one-dimensional. They have their little quirk or feature that they play at, that's it. No development or arcs. Just chess pieces for main character to play with and get upgrades from.
Mechanics - it is a game built around gimmicks. Superpowers, odd weapons, strange vehicles - all are fun for 10-20 minutes, as a joke, for a laugh. But then it gets old very quickly and you start looking for a best hings to deal with any particular situation. You use superpowers to move around, or kill enemies efficiently, or use the best weapons. They even built all the challenges around those gimmicks to force players to use them more often. That's not very smart design. Gimmicks wear off very quickly.
Minigames - minigames that for some reason were made to progress the game, never feel fun, or challenging, or in any way plot related. "Complete this or that and you will destabilize the simulation" - sounds like a silly excuse than an actual plot point. Besides, you can do all the jumping, shooting and exploding outside those minigames. They seem out of place.
Series - SR4 made the established world obsolete. Sprinting is faster than driving, powers and moves are better than any weapon, gang members are simple unnecessary, most upgrades (character and weapons) are useless. It's like they were not even making Saint Row game, but a parody or an expansion at best.

Game doenst offer many interesting concepts to play with, or interesting characters, or amazing story. It's just silly, mindless, pew-pew fun. There's nothing bad with that, but that alone cannot make a game good.

Again... according to you.

Also, I bolded all the parts of your objective overview that are not objective at all.

canadamus_prime:

RedEyesBlackGamer:

canadamus_prime:

I'd highly recommend it.

Ok then, I'll have to see if I can find them.

If I could make a recommendation, it'd be to play SR2 - not because many consider it the best in the series, but because that's the game that SRIV calls back to the most. There are definitely some big call backs to SR1 and SRTT, but there are even more for SR2, that'll really allow you to appreciate the game/story more.

As someone who played and loved all the Saints Row games I am happy to report that I also loved this one. Kudos to them for not bending over for the 'purists' that want more of the same crap and trying something unique and fun that is all its own.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here