Zero Punctuation: Awards for 2008

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

I would've given the 15YOLS (a.k.a. Disappointment of the Year) Award to Spore instead. And I wasn't one of those who was being hyped up through the years by various presentations and what-not. I was solely hyped up by the Creature Creator and that it was Maxis on the label.

I really should've heeded the warning that EA was also on the label too. But even by that standard, the game really did disappoint.

This man is my idol, his visual puns and comic delivery are perfect. I think what i just said is how cults are formed : ) (Yahtzee quote from the L4D review haha)

I suppose there's some super-high-tech way to tell from their end, but it's fairly straightforward even without it; they'd commented 1 and 2 minutes after the link was posted, and the video is ~6 minutes long. Can't park a Caddy in a kiddy pool, and can't watch a movie and comment on it in less time that it takes to play out the movie.

-- Steve

Yeah I never thought of that lol. Ok, I get it all now. Thanks guys!

Oh.. And Mirrors Edge isnt from EA, itīs from DICE.
EA is just the publishers.
Get your facts straight you poor little twat...

OH so that is why there isent a gears of war yet. I was wondering if he couldnt find something to bitch about with it. Hehehe I have been waiting for that one for so long. Also sorta curious if he us gunna do the newish banjoo kazooie game. Good ep. for what it was wish it was a review but hey everone need time for the holidays.

My one loaded about 2 minutes then gave up. My Internets working fine but I then tried to refresh it and it never got past the click to play screen. Any ideas what the problem is?

edit: nevermind apparently restarting my comp fixed the problem

On the topic of Mirror's Edge and in fact all EA games, long has it been since I bought a game without checking for EA logos. If I see one I just avoid the game like it had 'For ages three and up' written down the side, because you are pretty much always guaranteed dissatisfaction as everything is dumbed down for the simpler, emptier audience EA proffers to.

P.S.

fveew:

Wikipedia:
EA Digital Illusions Creative Entertainment AB (EA DICE) is a Swedish video game developer, wholly owned by Electronic Arts...

ColdStorage:

who are you talking to? Yahtzee?
dude he's not here, he's too busy ignoring you to death.

Sure he does.

He faps to the praise and ejaculates at the disagreements.

Wow.
I'd say Yahtzee's pretty much hit the nails on their heads.

I love it how youre saying GTA4 is a bad game. I myself didnt catch that fully untill I played Saints Row 2. I was playing GTA4 as any earlier GTA game and thought to myself that I was grown too old for that GTA kind of humor, I wasnt laughing when I drove over people, the radio stations werent that funny, and I didnt find much joy in becoming a crime boss.. then I played Saints Row 2 and it hit me like a ton of bricks.. GTA4 sucks as a GTA4 game, Saints Row 2 became the game I was expecting GTA4 to be. I love your brutal honesty Mr. Yahtzee, and would love to see what other game sites would say about GTA4 if they would take a second knock at it.

Great stuff. I was surprised at the game of the year choice, but Saints Row 2 was quite fun.

fveew:

When you go to the official DICE homepage it says in the upper left corner: An EA company... now whoīs the poor little twat?

Optimus24:

fveew:

When you go to the official DICE homepage it says in the upper left corner: An EA company... now whoīs the poor little twat?

PWNED

GodOfTongs:
I've never really understood how everyone can go along with this. Ok, Yahtzee is just as funny as ever, but both GTA4 and MGS4 are great games.

MGS4

IGN 10
GameSpot 10
GameTrailers 9.3

GTA4
IGN 10
GameSpot 10
GameTrailers 9.8

His videos are great but how can you take his opinion seriously. He disagrees with absolutely everyone. His nomination for worst game of the year got almost strait 10's down the line. Ridiculous.

to cite gaming websites on here is blasphemy, just to let you know you are probably asking for it.

I'm just going to say that basically he liked one game last year? is he serious?

Glad someone's giving credit to Saints Row 2.
I'm also thankful he didn't make No More Heroes more overrated than it already is.

again nostalgia, but with actual rankings i'm not surprised about the outcmes of this but never the less its good to see what games deserve

I'm waiting for LBP. I'm suprprised he didn't put that on there as one of his "games to get".

That feeling you got at the end of Prince of Persia was exactly what you were supposed to feel. I loved it, and I loved both the characters. Cannot wait for the next entry.

Well, I never thought I'll ever say this at a ZP video, but...

...this was a total waste of time. Durr.

First a clipshow, a lackluster PoP review, and now this? Jahtzee, at least make it look like you are trying, man. I really hope the rest of the 2009 videos will be at least as enjoyable as the others were in 2008 and 2007. A long vacation perhaps?

I don't know about this one. Even if you disagree with Yahtzee's review, he still brings up some good points about game design and points out the flaws in the games. And its exhilirating to play a sh*t game like mirror's edge then listen to Yahtzee tear it up.

But really, it just seemed as if he was just trying to stir up some controversy for his mailbox with this one, by purposely choosing games which were rated atleast 9 or over. You would expect to see actual bad games in his awards, but it just seemed like Yahtzee chose games people actually liked to look funny.....not including sonic.

(then again, Mirror's edge reportedly got a 9/10 prerelease, and oh what a load of crap that was....)

As for L4D being a horror game. Well in the end its just zombies, the important thing is the action shooting, the zombie thing was just a context for the game designers, so the main theme of that game was really team play.

Okay, seriously, you people want to know what Yahtzee hasn't reviewed Call of Duty 5? I'll tell you why.

It's exactly the same as Call of Duty 4. That's why. Treyarch were too scared to try something new with the series because they knew fans would bitch (and fans bitched anyway), so nothing has changed. At all.

At any rate, I don't mind Yahtzee doing things like this. You really expect one man to give you one review each and every week? For free? Wow, seriously. X-Play only does two or three reviews a week, and they have a full staff working for them. You get a half a dozen or a dozen reviews from gaming magazines a month, and THEY have a full staff working for THEM, too. So quit bitching and enjoy the fun. Plus, I love the theme music.

Now! As for the video itself. It wasn't really laugh worthy, but I chuckled a few times and grinned all the way through it. The only game I can really comment on is Saints Row 2, which is just as fun and entertaining as Yahtzee says it is. Anyone who hasn't played it definitely should.

Looking forward to next week, Yahtzee.

*cough* *cough* you havn't reveiwed Little big planet yet.

Well Yahtzee captured what I thought about 2008 in gaming. Well done.

Meh. 2008 was shit as far as creativity in gaming goes. (Although, I am enjoying the crap out of Fallout 3) What can be said? The gaming industry has turned into the snot nosed, bastard child of the movie industry and is now cranking out crap meant for a 'broader' audience.

Here's hoping 2009 is at least marginally better!

Dabamash:
Not bad, but I prefer game reviews. It's quite dissapointing when there isn't a proper review after waiting a week.

I do kind of agree with that, especially after promising to review some of the one's he missed for this year (i.e. Gears of War 2, which i'm surprised he didn't review despite how much he appears to hate the series). None-the-less, I greatly enjoyed this review. Especially his parting shot with Tomb Raider.

intergral:
Meh. 2008 was shit as far as creativity in gaming goes. (Although, I am enjoying the crap out of Fallout 3) What can be said? The gaming industry has turned into the snot nosed, bastard child of the movie industry and is now cranking out crap meant for a 'broader' audience.

I don't know about that. If you only look at the pool of AAA titles, sure, but there were also a lot of games like Megaman 9, World of Goo, Braid and Trials 2 released that are were pretty much aimed squarely at the long time gamers. They just weren't the big budget games with huge advertisement budget.

I admit I actually had more fun with smaller budget titles (the ones listed above) than I did with games like GTAIV, but that's really just me.

I prefer Gta4, i enjoy Saints row 2 alot, Yahtzees only reviews i really trust.

Fun, but I was rather hoping to see Yahtzee take on LPB. Especially as it is one of those games that is getting mountains of praise and adulation.

Admittedly, it DESERVES all the praise and adulation, but that never stopped him reviewing Call of Duty 4.

thermo1:
EA will probably make itself a trophy!

Hey heyyyy we shouldn't desire the demise of one of the most prominent game publishers that has published plenty of great games. With out EA the gaming industry would just be Activision/Blizzard and a bunch of garage made unpolished game studios.

Some great EA games I can think of (that yahtzee should review): Crysis: Warhead, Mass Effect, Red Alert 3, Fifa 09.

A few points on this episode, some mentioned already:

1) Disappointment for it not being an actual review, still quite enjoyable I guess
2) All in all awards were fair and point made valid, however
3) I think I speak for a lot of ppl when I say that the theme zp music is too damn frustrating unless killing stuff is your thing!

Shouldnt all request for Yahtzee to go back to using appropriate tunes depending on the game he reviews/topic?

I really disagree with Yahtzee on Mirrors Edge. Of course it has some quite major flaws in the level design, and controls but I don't think it was of poor quality. It was a refreshing title that managed FPS platforming amazingly well and had some great set pieces.

commodoryhori:
I prefer Gta4, i enjoy Saints row 2 alot, Yahtzees only reviews i really trust.

I take Yahtzee's reviews with a barrel full of salt. They're generally too sort and don't cover many of the aspects of the game for me to take them seriously. I enjoy him ripping on games but I'm often not in agreement with him over the criticisms.

beddo:
I really disagree with Yahtzee on Mirrors Edge. Of course it has some quite major flaws in the level design, and controls but I don't think it was of poor quality. It was a refreshing title that managed FPS platforming amazingly well and had some great set pieces.

Same here. I have strong objections to some of the level design*, and the story was on the trite side, but Mirror's Edge was a lot of fun even in the frustrating bits and it captured the same feeling of motion that Crackdown did. Heck, the game even encourages speed runs making it that little bit more replayable...

I respect Yahtzee as an entertainer, but he's looking at games in a completely different manner than I do and if I went by his reviews I'd have missed a LOT of games that I enjoyed greatly.

-- Steve

*Much the same objections as I had with Psychonaut's "Meat Circus" level, come to think of it, and I enjoyed both. Whereas Ben only liked one...

GodOfTongs:
I've never really understood how everyone can go along with this. Ok, Yahtzee is just as funny as ever, but both GTA4 and MGS4 are great games.

His videos are great but how can you take his opinion seriously. He disagrees with absolutely everyone. His nomination for worst game of the year got almost strait 10's down the line. Ridiculous.

If you take a look on online forums you`ll see that alot of people think the scores of GTA4 are bought. Me personally couldnt agree more, I think alot of sites didnt play it thouruly enought to rate it. GTA4 is a beautifull game, but when you consider how they guttet the GTA franchise compared to the GTA3 series in gameplay elements no one can seriously give it a close to perfect score, this is a sequel. Even Yahtzee admits it in this review, he kinda liked the game when it was released. Its a beautiful and cinematic game, but they took away most of the fun parts about it. I would understand if they cut down a little to give room for the improved graphics and more lively city streets, but they compleatly guttet it. Saints Row 2 became what GTA4 was supposed to be for me, short and simple:_FUN_! Not as big as GTA:SA but just as fun! What Im missing, but Im forgiving Saints Row 2 for at the moment is bigger and more varied landscape like in GTA:SA. Everything Saints Row 2 gets beaten down for are just the same things the entire GTA3 series got beaten down for: Bad graphics, sloppy camera, bad driving physics and so on. As with the GTA3 series, if this was forgiven you got an amazingly entertaining sandbox game!

I disagree with some of Yahtzee`s reviews, but it all boils down to personal preference. I understand his (and tons of other peoples) dislike of MGS4, even though I personally hold it as one of my own last years GOTY candidates.

Lightnr:

thermo1:
EA will probably make itself a trophy!

Hey heyyyy we shouldn't desire the demise of one of the most prominent game publishers that has published plenty of great games. With out EA the gaming industry would just be Activision/Blizzard and a bunch of garage made unpolished game studios.

Some great EA games I can think of (that yahtzee should review): Crysis: Warhead, Mass Effect, Red Alert 3, Fifa 09.

Yahtzee has already reviewed one of the games you said, but he did review Crysis

Crysis
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/21-Crysis

Mass Effect
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/18-Mass-Effect

As for Fifa 09, Yathzee has not reviewed a single sports game yet and I don't think he will anytime soon. Reviewing sports games for him would probably be boring and I really don't think you will get many laughs from it. There just is not enough variety from any of the sports games to be able to get a good review from them. Take ball and score points, that's all. I know you could argue that some games are the same that he does, but every year a new Fifa, Madden, or NCAA gets released w/like one new thing and nothing much has changed. He sticks mainly to RPG's, FPS's, and big name titles that come out. I can say that at first I thought maybe Yahtzee just didn't like EA and that's why he rags on them, but I have played Mirror's Edge and Mass Effect by them and I now see why he doesn't like most of their games.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here