Zero Punctuation: Awards for 2008

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Optimus24:

GodOfTongs:
I've never really understood how everyone can go along with this. Ok, Yahtzee is just as funny as ever, but both GTA4 and MGS4 are great games.

His videos are great but how can you take his opinion seriously. He disagrees with absolutely everyone. His nomination for worst game of the year got almost strait 10's down the line. Ridiculous.

If you take a look on online forums you`ll see that alot of people think the scores of GTA4 are bought. Me personally couldnt agree more, I think alot of sites didnt play it thouruly enought to rate it. GTA4 is a beautifull game, but when you consider how they guttet the GTA franchise compared to the GTA3 series in gameplay elements no one can seriously give it a close to perfect score, this is a sequel. Even Yahtzee admits it in this review, he kinda liked the game when it was released. Its a beautiful and cinematic game, but they took away most of the fun parts about it. I would understand if they cut down a little to give room for the improved graphics and more lively city streets, but they compleatly guttet it. Saints Row 2 became what GTA4 was supposed to be for me, short and simple:_FUN_! Not as big as GTA:SA but just as fun! What Im missing, but Im forgiving Saints Row 2 for at the moment is bigger and more varied landscape like in GTA:SA. Everything Saints Row 2 gets beaten down for are just the same things the entire GTA3 series got beaten down for: Bad graphics, sloppy camera, bad driving physics and so on. As with the GTA3 series, if this was forgiven you got an amazingly entertaining sandbox game!

I disagree with some of Yahtzee`s reviews, but it all boils down to personal preference. I understand his (and tons of other peoples) dislike of MGS4, even though I personally hold it as one of my own last years GOTY candidates.

I will have to say that earlier in this thread that this is what I said for the most part and Ihave to agree 100%. I think that people have to realize that these videos are Yathzee's personal preference and that he is just one person. The fact that he is able to produce a new video every week is awesome when there are other companys with more people and they release something new every week or maybe twice in one week. Breaking up the usual with something different is kinda cool and if you like the reviews more, then this will make you enjoy them more.

for example, I never really understood how anyone could ever FINISH (not play), but FINISH a GTA game. I remember playing GTA San Andreas, being really impressed, but being horrendously wtf about how to have the patience to stomach down the entire game (recall driving across an entire countryside to do ONE mission) <--repeat this cycle ever so often

GTA IV seemed much of the same. I mean, my brother (who loves both GTA games) has never finished either. I mean, does anyone EVER finish GTA games. I think that alone is a major flaw in entertainment value (not to mention the checkpoints make you drive forever to RESTART a failed mission, which are sometimes incredibly difficult; NO ONE wants to drive 1000 years in this manner. Cut the realism, and make instant checkpoints!)

antipunt:
for example, I never really understood how anyone could ever FINISH (not play), but FINISH a GTA game. I remember playing GTA San Andreas, being really impressed, but being horrendously wtf about how to have the patience to stomach down the entire game (recall driving across an entire countryside to do ONE mission) <--repeat this cycle ever so often

GTA IV seemed much of the same. I mean, my brother (who loves both GTA games) has never finished either. I mean, does anyone EVER finish GTA games. I think that alone is a major flaw in entertainment value (not to mention the checkpoints make you drive forever to RESTART a failed mission, which are sometimes incredibly difficult; NO ONE wants to drive 1000 years in this manner. Cut the realism, and make instant checkpoints!)

I only finish GTA games once (except IV which I don't want to play) and then I just fly around and jump out of helicopters and stuff. You know the fun stuff. Maybe I start another savefile but I never finish the main missions.

MGS4 was amazing.

It's worth noting something: Yahtzee is entitled to his opinion. The entire point of ZP is that he expresses that opinion in a very humorous way, not that it necessarily has more validity than any other review out there. If you disagree, fine. Personally, one of the things that I find very enlightening about his reviews is that he often focuses on aspects of games that the other reviewers/sites ignore in their mad rush to assess graphics, level design, etc. Little things like 'story', in which I put a lot of stock. But at the same time, I am certainly not going to base my purchasing decision solely on Yahtzee's opinion, and neither should anybody else, imho. After all, we wouldn't be buying many new games at all if we did... :P

So, if you like GTA4, or MGS4, or whatever, knock yourself out. Personally, I disagree with him strongly about Dead Space-- in fact, some of the things he listed as negatives in the review I felt were actually assets (the strong link to System Shock, for example: DS is more of a 'spiritual successor' to System Shock 2 than Bioshock was, in my mind). Enjoy the review... er, awards this week I guess, take into consideration anything that you might find relevant, and elsewise just be entertained.

GodOfTongs:
I've never really understood how everyone can go along with this. Ok, Yahtzee is just as funny as ever, but both GTA4 and MGS4 are great games.

MGS4

IGN 10
GameSpot 10
GameTrailers 9.3

GTA4
IGN 10
GameSpot 10
GameTrailers 9.8

His videos are great but how can you take his opinion seriously. He disagrees with absolutely everyone. His nomination for worst game of the year got almost strait 10's down the line. Ridiculous.

I agree wholeheartedly. it seems that Yahtzee slams every game for the sake of slamming it. Case in point:in his mgs4 review he straight-up lied about issues he had with the controls, saying that you have to hold L1,R1 and triangle to shoot. Anyone who's played the game will tell you that this is bullshit. Also if he thinks that Hideo Kojima wrote such a shit story, then why aren't Yahtzee's games winning countless awards the world over, and not Kojima's

Wow, I'm surprised that there aren't more people crying about what Yahtzee said about MSG4.
MSG 4 players tend to cry the loudest be the most vocal when someone says the least bit derogatory about "their game".
Good we have un-subtle Yahtzee to take that job off our hands xD

Good show as always.

Ok, DICE is owned by EA iŽll gice you that.
But did EA develop the game?
NOOO!
Do you get it or do i have to come over and slap you until you understand?

He makes a good point... GTA IV is a good suicide engine, but not FUN .. that's what game developers are missing nowadays.. it's supposed to be fucking fun.

the funnest game i played this year was World of Goo. I also hope he reviews Legendary and Rise of the Argonauts cause i heard they were massive shits

Well that was boring. Jesus Christ, it wasn't that funny. Stop jerking off to the man, you guys are the type of people that he keeps making fun of.

y8c616:

GodOfTongs:

MGS4

IGN 10
GameSpot 10
GameTrailers 9.3

GTA4
IGN 10
GameSpot 10
GameTrailers 9.8

I agree wholeheartedly. it seems that Yahtzee slams every game for the sake of slamming it. Case in point:in his mgs4 review he straight-up lied about issues he had with the controls, saying that you have to hold L1,R1 and triangle to shoot. Anyone who's played the game will tell you that this is bullshit. Also if he thinks that Hideo Kojima wrote such a shit story, then why aren't Yahtzee's games winning countless awards the world over, and not Kojima's

Firstly: IGN and gamespot (coughkaneandlynchcough) are widely regarded as being very corrupt (can;t comment on gametrailers).

Secondly: Just because Yahtzee can;t do anything better doesn;t mean he isn;t allowed to criticise. It's an argument so commonly brought up and it's utter nonsense; I don't need to be able to sing better than Bob Dylan to criticise his singing ability for example.

I trust Yahtzee's opinion more than IGN and Gamespot. All a game needs to do to get a 10 on those sites is have pretty graphics. I'm so tired of buying a game that gets a 9 or 10 only to play the same tired gameplay, stupid storylines, etc.

whyarecarrots:

y8c616:

GodOfTongs:

MGS4

IGN 10
GameSpot 10
GameTrailers 9.3

GTA4
IGN 10
GameSpot 10
GameTrailers 9.8

Firstly: IGN and gamespot (coughkaneandlynchcough) are widely regarded as being very corrupt (can;t comment on gametrailers).

Secondly: Just because Yahtzee can;t do anything better doesn;t mean he isn;t allowed to criticise. It's an argument so commonly brought up and it's utter nonsense; I don't need to be able to sing better than Bob Dylan to criticise his singing ability for example.

Well yeah, obviously he can criticise, its by no means a perfect game; the cutscenes are a little OTT and you kind of need to be a fan to get the story, but in all fairness, he sounds like a 13 year old xbox fanboy ripping into MGS4.

lol so true i haven't played a good horror game in a long time the new survival horror games are just shooters which this year had waaay to many.

Just watched the video and noticed that once again Yahtzee has praised Saints Row 2 to the detrament of GTA IV, something I agree with, yet has been done before, a while back, by this guy...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=VwDVF0SVYAs

GodOfTongs:

MGS4

IGN 10
GameSpot 10
GameTrailers 9.3

GTA4
IGN 10
GameSpot 10
GameTrailers 9.8

Reviewing integrity is an acceptable sacrifice for humor because being funny increases your traffic stats and popularity.

minoko:
Just watched the video and noticed that once again Yahtzee has praised Saints Row 2 to the detrament of GTA IV, something I agree with, yet has been done before, a while back, by this guy...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=VwDVF0SVYAs

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery imo

y8c616:

whyarecarrots:

y8c616:

GodOfTongs:

MGS4

IGN 10
GameSpot 10
GameTrailers 9.3

GTA4
IGN 10
GameSpot 10
GameTrailers 9.8

Well yeah, obviously he can criticise, its by no means a perfect game; the cutscenes are a little OTT and you kind of need to be a fan to get the story, but in all fairness, he sounds like a 13 year old xbox fanboy ripping into MGS4.

Or maybe he just has his own opinion about what he finds fun...

Maybe he is annoyed at fan-pandering (Final Fantasy Advent Children/Crisis Core/Dissidia for a small batch of examples) rather than making a good game in its own right.

Or maybe he just thinks it's not as good as the hype made it seem, nor as good as the previous games, compared to what everyone made it out to be.

Lord_Jaroh:

y8c616:

whyarecarrots:

y8c616:

GodOfTongs:

MGS4

IGN 10
GameSpot 10
GameTrailers 9.3

GTA4
IGN 10
GameSpot 10
GameTrailers 9.8

Or maybe he just has his own opinion about what he finds fun...

Maybe he is annoyed at fan-pandering (Final Fantasy Advent Children/Crisis Core/Dissidia for a small batch of examples) rather than making a good game in its own right.

Or maybe he just thinks it's not as good as the hype made it seem, nor as good as the previous games, compared to what everyone made it out to be.

Well obviously he's entitled to his opinions, but the way he puts it is no better than the masses of fanboy flamewars seen here on these forums.

Maybe some fanboys should realize that yathzee is a CRITIC and therefore he is obligated to point out WHAT IS WRONG in a game.

Saints Row? What ever happened to Portal!!!

and so mmuch music during the introduction to the awards, it sounds like he spent 5 minutes on the audio and video of this weeks ZP.

Northover32:
Saints Row? What ever happened to Portal!!!

and so mmuch music during the introduction to the awards, it sounds like he spent 5 minutes on the audio and video of this weeks ZP.

Portal was released in 2007.

Wow, I really used to like Yahtzee, and still do, but he's made two annoying comments in two consecutive videos. MGS4 tripe? Wow...

Whatever, the rest of the review was pretty awesome though.

Wasn't a grand year of great new releases for me either. While I enjoyed alot of softcore episodic games like SBCG4AP, Sam & Max, & American McGee's Grimm, my games of the year award goes to the Original Neverwinter Knights (2002) & Baldur's Gate II (2000). Hmmm, ALL of my favorite games were made between 2000 & 2002, come to think of it....

I've also noticed that the first 2 people to comment on each video get banned, even when they don't claim to be first or second. Let's try banning the people who call for bans for stupid reasons. ::gives fish food cart & mark_n_b the evil eye::

fuck, all these people who are idolizing yahtzee as a second coming or something, his opinion is sacred, anything contrary is heresy. so many of you guys are the type fan boys he rails on all the time. fun stuff

Better than your last one, which was just lazy. And what so bad about cheese cake?

Wow, you guys take his critiques waaaaay to seriously. Unless you made the bloody game yourself, I don't see what your problem is.

I'm thinkin' Yahtzee picks out mainstream games everyone loves because it pisses people off so much. Right on.

Plus, it would be weird if Yahtzee ranted about great a game is. We all watch him 'cause he's the best at ripping into something, right?

fallen1:

Lightnr:
[quote="thermo1" post="6.82799.1138627"]EA will probably make itself a trophy!

Hey heyyyy we shouldn't desire the demise of one of the most prominent game publishers that has published plenty of great games. With out EA the gaming industry would just be Activision/Blizzard and a bunch of garage made unpolished game studios.

Some great EA games I can think of (that yahtzee should review): Crysis: Warhead, Mass Effect, Red Alert 3, Fifa 09.

If EA didn't exist, some company like Valve or 2K would surely have filled the gap. I can also think of some great games that were NOT made by EA: World in Conflict, Hearts of Iron 2, Bioshock, Rome: Total War, and Civilisation 4 to name a few. Also EA didn't create the Red Alert series, they aquired it when they bought Westwood Studios in 1999 and shut them down 4 years later.

Although I did enjoy RA3 to an extent, it wasn't for the story, and it seemed to be too 'bright and cheerful'. It's basically the exact opposite of C&C3.

I tend to agree with him in most cases.
But I disagree with him not giving Mirrors Edge an award of atrociousness, but then maybe denying it 2 awards of badness was worse than giving it one...

if the 'year in review' video didn't happen, and the latest 2 videos were done as they are the world would have been a much better place.

I had the most fun this year with Fallout 3 although I will agree ith the choice of Saints Row 2 as it was just all out crazy fun and less of gritty realisim... which is alright but given previous GTA game themes being less series I had to agree with lack of over done praise like when it came out.

Not bad I guess.

But again I want to rip out his spine through his anus for what he says about Sonic the Hedgehog, it's really not fair.

Especially now that Sonic Unleashed is a pretty good game actually.

fveew:
Ok, DICE is owned by EA iŽll gice you that.
But did EA develop the game?
NOOO!
Do you get it or do i have to come over and slap you until you understand?

If EA owns the company that developes they have controll of whatever they do, if they did use any of their influence I cannot say. I liked Mirrors Edge very much and its one of my favorite games this year, I dont think it could be any better or worse even without the EA mark on it. This doesnt change the fact that EA probably didnt just toss money at them an let them do whatever, EA owns em and thus EA has som say in what they do in the development fase. You first said EA only distributed the game, we never said anything about developing, we just commented that Yahtzee was right saying its a EA game. If you meant develope then say develope not that DICE has nothing to do with EA when its friggin owned by them! Slap yourself untill you understand!

Lockedup:

Dabamash:
Not bad, but I prefer game reviews. It's quite dissapointing when there isn't a proper review after waiting a week.

I do kind of agree with that, especially after promising to review some of the one's he missed for this year (i.e. Gears of War 2, which i'm surprised he didn't review despite how much he appears to hate the series). None-the-less, I greatly enjoyed this review. Especially his parting shot with Tomb Raider.

I don't think he does hate Gear of War, he mentions it positively in one of his reviews. Given the games he likes Gears 2 should be right up his alley. It's a no nonsense shooter that relishes in it's gore with immensely fun gameplay. Yea it has a pretty lame story but who cares when it's just so entertaining.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here