Zero Punctuation: Awards for 2008

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

umm..... WTF resistance 2 hello 9 out of 10 got more them tomb raider and farcry and wats this yatzee agein dose not review a playstation game i could deal with not reviewing LBP but if he dosent review god of war 3 or killzone 2 i am going to call him an 360 fanboy yes i will!!!but serisly gear and reistance both should of got a review instead of sonic and mirros egde plz uve got to add resistance to ur list of games to review plz i could go on and on so just do it plz (hold on what about COD5?)

Breno:
umm..... WTF resistance 2 hello 9 out of 10 got more them tomb raider and farcry and wats this yatzee agein dose not review a playstation game i could deal with not reviewing LBP but if he dosent review god of war 3 or killzone 2 i am going to call him an 360 fanboy yes i will!!!but serisly gear and reistance both should of got a review instead of sonic and mirros egde plz uve got to add resistance to ur list of games to review plz i could go on and on so just do it plz (hold on what about COD5?)

Please, for the love of God, learn proper grammar. It actually hurt reading that.

I'm also pretty sure that he won't care if you call him an Xbox fanboy, because he'd much rather rip into you.

However, I'd like to see him review some PS3 games, just because I know he'd crucify them for fun, just like 90% of all the games he reviews.

I would quite like to see a review on CoD5 though, despite the fact I know nothing changed and he'll tear into it (which won't make a difference to me. I have it, and it's great fun, especially once you release the dogs), just to see what he thinks of it.

SuperUberBob:

minoko:
Just watched the video and noticed that once again Yahtzee has praised Saints Row 2 to the detrament of GTA IV, something I agree with, yet has been done before, a while back, by this guy...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=VwDVF0SVYAs

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery imo

I agree indeed

Ok, I let this one go. I love seeing hem take games apart, thats what I come to watch, so please stop dancing around it and just review the games we want to see like: Gears of War 2,LBP,Resistance 2, & when it finally comes out Killzone 2. I know you can take these games apart and make us all laugh, you also tell us everything that is wrong with the game, so I aprouve of your chose not to give scores, your system is much better. This guy gives you a true answer so he is way better then x-play!!! Thanks again:>

i did not expect to see GTA4 be a bad game and saints row 2 be his game of the year

Failhammer:

fallen1:

Lightnr:

thermo1:
EA will probably make itself a trophy!

Hey heyyyy we shouldn't desire the demise of one of the most prominent game publishers that has published plenty of great games. With out EA the gaming industry would just be Activision/Blizzard and a bunch of garage made unpolished game studios.

Some great EA games I can think of (that yahtzee should review): Crysis: Warhead, Mass Effect, Red Alert 3, Fifa 09.

If EA didn't exist, some company like Valve or 2K would surely have filled the gap. I can also think of some great games that were NOT made by EA: World in Conflict, Hearts of Iron 2, Bioshock, Rome: Total War, and Civilisation 4 to name a few. Also EA didn't create the Red Alert series, they aquired it when they bought Westwood Studios in 1999 and shut them down 4 years later.

Although I did enjoy RA3 to an extent, it wasn't for the story, and it seemed to be too 'bright and cheerful'. It's basically the exact opposite of C&C3.

Just so you know, I think you mis quoted what I had actually said about EA.
This is what I actually said,

fallen1:

Lightnr:
[quote="thermo1" post="6.82799.1138627"]EA will probably make itself a trophy!

Hey heyyyy we shouldn't desire the demise of one of the most prominent game publishers that has published plenty of great games. With out EA the gaming industry would just be Activision/Blizzard and a bunch of garage made unpolished game studios.

Some great EA games I can think of (that yahtzee should review): Crysis: Warhead, Mass Effect, Red Alert 3, Fifa 09.

Yahtzee has already reviewed one of the games you said, but he did review Crysis

Crysis
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/21-Crysis

Mass Effect
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/18-Mass-Effect

As for Fifa 09, Yathzee has not reviewed a single sports game yet and I don't think he will anytime soon. Reviewing sports games for him would probably be boring and I really don't think you will get many laughs from it. There just is not enough variety from any of the sports games to be able to get a good review from them. Take ball and score points, that's all. I know you could argue that some games are the same that he does, but every year a new Fifa, Madden, or NCAA gets released w/like one new thing and nothing much has changed. He sticks mainly to RPG's, FPS's, and big name titles that come out. I can say that at first I thought maybe Yahtzee just didn't like EA and that's why he rags on them, but I have played Mirror's Edge and Mass Effect by them and I now see why he doesn't like most of their games.

people there is a difference between a survival horror and a horror game!

this ep was good but Far Cry 2 or GOW2 would have been good as well. I enjoyed Far Cry immensely so seeing what yahtzee thinks will be really good

thermo1:
EA will probably make itself a trophy!

Yes, a "Congratulations on getting half a billion dollars in debt, you idiot" award. And possibly the "Most backfired anti-piracy plan ever" award.

Saints Row 2? Game of the Year?
My God.
What does this say about the past year of video games, eh?

(He better be playing a game as we speak, a proper review would be nice.)

Why on earth were people banned for saying things like

"Was looking forward to this for a while now!"
and
"Thanks Yathzee! :) Makes me wish that the Oscars gave out awards like this.
Hope everyone had a nice 2008."

at the beginning of the thread?

I'm actually quite pleased with these "awards", because it's given me some insight as to what I should and shouldn't be looking for, and what I should rent before I actually buy to see if I would even think of playing the game again.

Saint's Row 2 was a surprising choice from Yahtzee, though, however, I'm not that surprised.

MackB:
Why on earth were people banned for saying things like

"Was looking forward to this for a while now!"
and
"Thanks Yathzee! :) Makes me wish that the Oscars gave out awards like this.
Hope everyone had a nice 2008."

at the beginning of the thread?

Answered already.

-- Steve

Not that I particularly care what reviewers say, I'm somewhat intrigued as to why MGS4 was his choice there, considering the gamut of tripe on offer. So you're penalising a game for tying up the loose ends neatly? Well, erm, surely there were worse offences committed last year. But I guess there's no fun in being obvious.

YOU BASTARD.. you spoiled POP for me. I had just started playing it and I was really enjoying it. until you decided that to stick your dick in it. So just because you didnt enjoy it you decided spoil for rest of us. I thought telling you this would make feel better but it doesnt. Im not gonna watch your vids anymore, it might not matter to you but I will take solice in the fact that YOU WILLL step on the wrong toes one day and your negative rants will only work for a finite amount time before you run out of ideas or people get bored or frustated. and for gods sake please put spoiler warnings. Amatuer!!!

I find that Yahtzee does fail to review big games, games that most people have.

I think he likes to go for games he knows he is going to be able to either destroy or give a decent review or games that not everyone has. I don't think he would be able to review games like Gears of war 2 and Little big planet as it would be hard for him to comment:

1. Because he obviously hates main stream games and hates games everyone else is playing and going on about, so in this case with gears of war he would say something bad just to compensate for the loathing he has for people and constant ramblings about big title games.

2. We cannot deny the fact that Gears of war 2 and little big planet and other such games are great games! And near to most people would enjoy the games, so Yahtzee would have to say something obviously good about the game. Because denying what you really think of a game is kind of defating the whole object of being a game critic.

So i think thats why games like saints row 2 takes his game of the year. Nobody can argue because most people do not have the game. But if it had been a game like Metal gear solid 4 or Gears of war 2 many people would then be complaining saying that he is wrong and another game should have won.

Then again i could be completely wrong :p

Anton P. Nym:

Answered already.

-- Steve

Oh. Thanks :O

fallen1:

I must have accidentally deleted something while posting. Sorry about that.

mitman93:

Virgil:

mitman93:
Please excuse me for this noobish question (I'm a noob to these forums) but why did the first two posts get banned? I read the sticky but still could not find one thing wrong with both of the posts. Can someone please answer me so I do not make the same error. Thanks! (Please don't ban me for this!)

We ban for "first posting" here, even if you don't say "first post". Watch the video or read the article before posting a comment and you've got nothing to worry about.

Ahhh I see. Thanks, that cleared things up for me. How exactly do you know if the person watched the video or read the article?

That's retarded. Let's ban the 25th, 50th, & 100th poster as well, just for shits & giggles.

Failhammer:

fallen1:

I must have accidentally deleted something while posting. Sorry about that.

It is ok i just wanted to make sure we were cool with it.

To all those that complain about the clip or awards shows not being a proper review episode... let the guy have a holiday occasionally. Even I don't expect the excellent TV review show "Good Game" to play all year, for instance. You're bloody lucky to have Zero Punctuation in the first place. (Yes, I can say "bloody" because I am an Aussie who grew up saying it).

You whinging spoilt brats.

Happy New Year everyone (especially Ben C).

likalaruku:

mitman93:

Virgil:

mitman93:
Please excuse me for this noobish question but why did the first two posts get banned?

We ban for "first posting" here, even if you don't say "first post". Watch the video or read the article before posting a comment and you've got nothing to worry about.

Ahhh I see. Thanks, that cleared things up for me. How exactly do you know if the person watched the video or read the article?

That's retarded. Let's ban the 25th, 50th, & 100th poster as well, just for shits & giggles.

Yeah I thought its kind of wierd too, seems to be any posts made within the first 5 minutes before they have a chance to view the video though

MackB:

likalaruku:

mitman93:

Virgil:

mitman93:
...Snip...

Yeah I thought its kind of wierd too, seems to be any posts made within the first 5 minutes before they have a chance to view the video though

No, those are the rules. You can't comment on a video that is 3 or 4 mins long only 2 minutes after posting. That means that you haven't actually watched the video you are supposed to be commenting on.

It has been the same since the reviews came here, so it's not as if it should be a surprise.

An awesome episode IMO, loved the award-names. Now I'm thinking of designing little physical awards fitting each one of them.

Anyways, the new flashplayer is really bad though. Firefox 3 (newest) on WinXP here, and it's volume was waaaaaaaay too low and when you paus it the play-arrow disallows you from reading text on the paused screen.

LOL

jemborg:
To all those that complain about the clip or awards shows not being a proper review episode... let the guy have a holiday occasionally. Even I don't expect the excellent TV review show "Good Game" to play all year, for instance. You're bloody lucky to have Zero Punctuation in the first place. (Yes, I can say "bloody" because I am an Aussie who grew up saying it).

You whinging spoilt brats.

Happy New Year everyone (especially Ben C).

Exactly.

Christ, you think you people could bitch and moan about the Zero Punctuation theme song anymore?

Sounds alright to me. Cry sum moar.

You guy's whining about his choice of what game's best and what game wasn't, should realise it's based on game's he's already reviewed.

So if you were expecting him to put GOW or whatever as the best game, that's a stupid thing to think. He hasn't reviewed it yet.

Breno:

CoD 5 in a nutshell:

Infinity ward let Treyarch mess with the CoD series again. Treyarch try hard, but ultimately fail. The American campaign is diabolical, the Russian campaign enjoyable.

Multiplayer is for 8 year olds with annoyingly high pitched voices.

Treyarch decide that the difficulty setting changes the amount of grenades thrown at you. This makes them LAWL and you cry.

The Call of Duty series is over-rated. Infinity Ward and Treyarch should focus on making other games, ones which you don't get bored with after 2 weeks.

CoD2 was the best in the series. End of.

Sisyphus0:
While I respect your opinion, and almost fully disagree with it, I can't understand how you gave saint's row 2 credit for anything. I also don't understand why you constantly bash games for attempting gritty realism. I hate colourful cheery games with rainbows and happy endings. It's bad enough that almost every movie is ruined with a happy ending, games shouldn't have to suffer such cheap fairytale endings either.

Maybe cause if we wanted realism, we'd go out and live real life.

If I'm playing a game, I want crazy over the top crap that I can't do in real life.

This was pretty funny, like all the ZP videos... I'd have to agree that a review would be nice, but it's the start of the new year and a summary of 2008 would be warranted sooner or later.

Saints Row 2... Well, he clearly doesn't have the PC version. It has my vote for "worst keyboard controls" PC game of the year.

likalaruku:

Well, if the 25th, 50th, and 100th posters are posting spam too then why not?

A comment thread like this is supposed to be for comments on the video, not for childish games of tag. If you're not posting on-topic for it, the moderators have every right to give you a time-out; and posting a "first" post is little different that posting pictures of your cat or requests for dating advice here in that regard.

The plain fact is that it's the Escapist's server, not ours; they're the ones footing the bill for all this, and you're not paying them one cent. They're entirely within their rights to cut off people running up the tab without contributing something worthwhile to the community. He who buys the drinks calls the shots.

If that's too restrictive for some people, there are plenty of blogging platforms available that are free to use and they should look into setting up their own site with their own rules.

-- Steve

EOr:
Saints Row 2... Well, he clearly doesn't have the PC version. It has my vote for "worst keyboard controls" PC game of the year.

don't you mean worst pc-optimized game of the year ;)
dood, I have 8800gts on SLI and an E8400, and I STILL CAN'T make it look better than GTA San Andreas without plummeting from a stable FPS...

It was alright, the award names were probably my favorite part.
I dunno about some of this recap, I thoroughly enjoyed dead space (even if it was a copied idea?) I mean its not like many games really super impress me, but i wont forget it. I liked mgs4, after beating it I went back played the old ones etc, but yeah the cut scenes were long, but it was a good story and i have to say it all felt pretty epic...also stealth is plausible in many situations...oh wait i mean all of them, people have done big boss hard without killing anyone, alerting anyone etc to achieve some unlock able so yeah...
otherwise good review looking forward to the next ones keep up the good work

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or