No Right Answer: Required Viewing Before You Die

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Balkan:
As for an influential show, then it's Twin peaks.

This. If you want a good 'WTF is going on' show that causes debates about whether or not what is going on is real, you want Twin Peaks. Also David Duchovny as a government agent in drag.

"I will watch the rest of LOST if you watch Firefly."
"No deal."

bwahaha.

Seriously, Firefly is great. Unless you hate Joss Whedon. In which case you hate entertainment.

...am I seriously the only person who never hears anything about LOST anymore? 'Cause this "debate" certainly made it sound like I was missing out on all the references drowning pop culture in LOST material. I don't think I've ever gone to a con and seen people running a LOST booth or dressed up as LOST refugees. If I hear someone shouting about "what's in the box," it's usually a Se7en reference.

I dunno. I just don't see it, guys.

That said, I don't think I'd call Firefly "required viewing" either. I love the show, but I also recognize that it's not for everyone.

Wow EVERYONE in this thread hates Lost huh... well didn't expect anything else but still. Such a great show to be so universally panned, mostly by people who haven't even seen it, who just heard someone badly explain the ending. Great ending, great show, absolutely worth anyone's time.

I haven't seen Firefly yet but I mean to do so as the internet won't ever shut up about it.

Hattingston:

DRTJR:

MrPhyntch:

Actually, Buffy the Vampire Slayer was his origin. Firefly aired somewhere near the end of its run. And while he had done several things before Buffy (including co-writing on Toy Story!), that's really what put him on the map. In fact, without Buffy, Fox would've never agreed to Firefly in the first place. THE MORE YOU KNOW

Yeah, but Firefly was the first thing of quality he did on his own.

WHAT

NO

GO IN THE CORNER AND THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU DID

Seriously though, Buffy is fantastic. The first season can be kind of bleh, but after that the show gets exponentially better. The first season is just there to make you think it's a by the numbers campy action horror show so that Whedon can rip your heart out more easily later.

I don't like Buffy nor do I like Angel. At first I thought that Firefly was going to be tepid at best, then my mind was blown. The only Character I liked was Seth Green's, it's hard to pull at my strings by messing with characters I don't care about.

LightspeedJack:
Wow EVERYONE in this thread hates Lost huh... well didn't expect anything else but still. Such a great show to be so universally panned, mostly by people who haven't even seen it, who just heard someone badly explain the ending. Great ending, great show, absolutely worth anyone's time.

I haven't seen Firefly yet but I mean to do so as the internet won't ever shut up about it.

My thought exactly, on both shows. People are watching Lost with the wrong mindset if all they care about are the mysteries and will completely shit themselves if the explanations aren't entirely to their liking. The characters were great, the setting was fascinating, and writing mostly better than 90% of other stuff on TV. Sure it lacked direction at times but was hell of an entertaining ride with an ending that I found great. Best show I've ever seen (I'm holding judgment on GoT until it's finished and have Wire waiting on my DVD shelf).

"So Lost wins this not because it's a better show, because clearly Firefly is more entertaining, Lost though keeps the debate going even now, so you want to be in this discussion"

So please explain how that would matter to you if you're about to die - which is the whole premise of this episode. The admitted additional entertainment of Firefly would surely trump the "debate" about Lost that YOU'RE NEVER ACTUALLY GOING TO HAVE!

Lvl 64 Klutz:
I WANT TO BELIEVE that there is a good reason you guys did a "Required TV Viewing Before You Die" episode without mentioning a certain show that happens to be celebrating it's 20th anniversary this very week. A certain show that without, JJ Abrams wouldn't have a career and many more fantasy/sci-fi shows wouldn't exist.

I think you are being too subtle with your reference.

Woah! When was there a sexy photoshoot of the cast of Firefly? I'm turned on by all of them, even Ron Glass!

Never watched a episode of lost but after hearing the premise I said its a Jacod's Ladder and I was right LOL. took 8 years to say told yea so

And it seems Everybody also forgot about Babylon5 and Red Dwarf and and and well the List is Soooooooo Long Anyways the pick this week was a bad one ...

I am glad to say that I have not watched either Lost or Firefly and will now specifically avoid watching either one for the rest of my life.

Firefly is quicker. Lost is a greater time investment. So the choice is easy. FIREFLY.

Mcoffey:
God, you couldn't pay me to sit through all of Lost. I managed to finish the first season before I said, "Nah, this is stupid", and turned it off. It's one thing to have a mystery, it's another to bullshit around for seven years so you dont have to explain anything.

cyvaris:
Battlestar Galatica beat them both, though only by a very narrow amount. I could never get into Lost because it just seemed so gimmicky. Tune in next week and find out worthless clue number five that may or may not be relevant!!

Seriously the entire show felt like this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdhhQhqi_AE

Well, the first two and a half seasons of Battlestar are definitely required viewing. Everything after the Battle of New Caprica, well...

Yeah the quality drop off was rather sudden.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here