Movie Defense Force: Repo! The Genetic Opera

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Repo! The Genetic Opera

This week's Movie Defense Force comes in a little glass vial. A little glass vial? A little glass vial!

Watch Video

I actually liked the film, but it's fanbase seems very closely tied to the Rocky Horror fanbase (which I've grown to hate) so I don't think I could ever really get into it. Some of the exceptional high points of the movie for me were: The main character has a very Darth Vader-like vibe to him and Paris Hilton actually performs surprisingly well in her role.

I quite like this movie. Songs were catchy, the singers were quite good, it's always fun to see Paris Hilton's face fall off, and Zydrate Anatomy continues to be a favourite song of mine.

Granted the whole poisoning the medicine bit left me rather confused the first time around but rewatchings made it easier to comprehend.

This is definitely one I am glad to see defended (by someone other than me)

Was the directing perfect? Not even close
That "Seventeen" song was shit? Absolutely
Deeply flawed film? No question

But it just had so much personality. I gotta love it on some level for just being something I haven't seen done 1000 times before

Hey it's that musical that Movie Bob didn't think was worth mentioning when he reviewed Repo Men.

How can you pass up a movie with this little gem?

I've always loved this film. My friends do not. Thanks for making me not feel alone in that.

(Also, *finally* I've been waiting for this since the series started!)

I will take this movie over Rocky Horror any day! No complaints from me Jim, this one definitely needs and deserves to be defended!

Never heard of it, for shame!
Will watch asap :)

Do people dislike this? I always liked it, it's quite refreahing and some of the songs are quite good (except seventeen that one is downright awful). I like that it fully embodies the time period in which is was made, everything about it just screams early 00s and i find that kinda charming.

This was a nice change up for me. I was worried that this series was already falling into a rut. Not that the movies didn't need defending, but afraid that the defending method was already becoming stale.

I really enjoy this series Jim. I don't know if that means anything to you or not, but there it is. The only criticism I'd ever have said is that for a few episodes it seemed like things were just getting bogged down in the "people say X, but X doesn't matter" routine. And routine isn't what this show should offer. It's best when it's an episode like this, where it's a celebration of thing rather than focusing solely on it's detractors. So here are your appropriate KUDOS.

I did not care for REPO. But it had nothing to do with the premise, the design or even the acting. I just couldn't get into the musical side of it. And as someone who counts many screen musicals among my favorite films, that's a deal breaker. But my daughter likes it. Some of her friends like it. And good on them if they do. My generation had Rocky Horror, maybe REPO is their version of that. And there's nothing wrong with that.

One thing I think you could have mentioned but didn't while discussing the movie's singing talent was Sarah Brightman (Blind Mag) of Phantom of the Opera fame.

Fun to see Repo! but this episode seemed to have less analysis of flaws, perceived or actual, than your previous ones. Lots of fun though, thanks for doing this!

I adore this movie!

Why? Because it has Sarah "la luna" Brightman in it!

Is the movie flawed? Sure. (Not enough Sarah Brightman, gosh darn it)

But does it have a very distinct charm? Certainly :)

This is one of those movies you can't base your opinion off of its poster.
I remember seeing the poster and being like "TIME TO JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER!"

and then since I did that I was disappointed with the film XD

My friend and I got this at Blockbuster when it was a new release for our "shitty movie night" and were surprised to find both of us actually liked it. Chase the Morning is goddamned beautiful.

Fappy:
I actually liked the film, but it's fanbase seems very closely tied to the Rocky Horror fanbase (which I've grown to hate) so I don't think I could ever really get into it. Some of the exceptional high points of the movie for me were: The main character has a very Darth Vader-like vibe to him and Paris Hilton actually performs surprisingly well in her role.

She plays a spoiled, wealthy heiress to a major company that has a penchant for cosmetic surgery. She was essentially playing herself. Except her face falls off. And that's hilarious.

Jim, that looks immense! I thank you but I can't believe I never heard about this.

Clearly I need to pay more attention to what's going on in cinema generally.

I love this movie. In fact, a lot of people into more campy style horror I know really dug this film in a big way. It was something different and I think a lot of the music was actually pretty good (with a few huge stinkers in it).

It looked weird and awesome enough for me to hit it up on google, watching it right now. Can't believe I never heard of this

I remember this one. I was kinda disappointed in it honestly. I most kept watching it cause it has a great aesthetic but I found the singing to be spotty. Zyadrate Anatomy and Chase the Morning are awesome but if I'd been watching it in a theater I probably would have left at Mark It Up (yes it meant to be bad but it did it's job too well, isn't very funny to me and has out of place cartoon sound effects) or 17. Thankless Job sounds fucking awful to me as well but makes up for it by being funny at least. That actor can sing when he's not doing the forced growly low voice thing. I wasn't fond of Rotti singing either.
I hear Paris Hilton actually donated much of the clothing in that movie so point for her! I've seen people avoid the movie just because she's in it but she isn't that bad.

WTF did I just watch? The idea is interesting but unrealistic. Nope, I will never again watch anything like Rocky Horror. You people have serious issues if you enjoy watching gore/rape.

Never saw this movie. And I think I'll pass on it. Not a big fan of Opera and twisted dystopian horror Opera definitely doesn't appeal.

YES YES YES YES.

God damn does this movie need more exposure. Easily one of my favorite films ever.

It's so cool finding out someone else is a fan of it. Just the other day I was chatting with an old friend and he mentioned offhand "Hey, have you ever seen this movie called Repo The Genetic Opera?" to which I squeed and said how much I loved it. We then immediately sang Zydrate Anatomy together.

thisbymaster:
WTF did I just watch? The idea is interesting but unrealistic. Nope, I will never again watch anything like Rocky Horror. You people have serious issues if you enjoy watching gore/rape.

If mainstream society doesn't think you have issues, you aren't really living.

Fappy:

B-but, Fappy, why would you hate these glorious people?

I love this film! The music made it for me.

Just finished watching it. Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh. Chase the Morning and the one music about little glass vials were absolutely stunning, but everything else was pretty bad. Who the hell decided to not make this entirely around the graverobber?

This is one of those "everybody's told me that I should watch it, which is only putting me off" sort of films. One day I'll bite the bullet, though.

A word for the casting, though. The story goes that the directors rang Sarah Brightman - you know, proper legit classical crossover / musical performer in everything Andrew Lloyd Webber did - to be in the movie on a total long shot; and she said "yeah, sure, sounds like a laugh". That says most of what needs to be said about this film. Paris Hilton, Antony Stewart Head, Paul Sorvino, Sarah Brightman and others on a budget of what was surely pence? They obviously saw something worthwhile in it.

And my cousin tells me that because of Alexa Vega in this film, he will be arrested if he ever watches Spy Kids again.

I worked for years in a factory that made copies of this movie and I remember wanting to see it all this time. I like operatic movies and I'm looking forward to seeing this one eventually.

Jim, I will agree with some others here that I like to see you explore rarer movies...

ZZoMBiE13 said it better than I could... ^_^

ZZoMBiE13:
This was a nice change up for me. I was worried that this series was already falling into a rut. Not that the movies didn't need defending, but afraid that the defending method was already becoming stale.

I really enjoy this series Jim. I don't know if that means anything to you or not, but there it is. The only criticism I'd ever have said is that for a few episodes it seemed like things were just getting bogged down in the "people say X, but X doesn't matter" routine. And routine isn't what this show should offer. It's best when it's an episode like this, where it's a celebration of thing rather than focusing solely on it's detractors.

HUZZAH!!! :)

How can you not love this song, it's bloody amazing.

Did anyone ever see the other movie the Director (and about half the cast) of this movie did? The Devil's Carnival? Cause that was, while probably not as memorable, just as good, and the song "Penny for a Tale" is one of my all time favorites.

My namesake has arrived!

Repo needed defense ? Never heard anyone ever say it was bad, the trouble is mostly that it is a niche movie, so not well known.

This movie is crap. But it's AWESOME crap.

You know, on paper, this isn't really a movie I should like at all. I'm not a fan of Rocky Horror Picture Show (heresy, I know), I fucking loath Paris Hilton and anything she's attached to, and I'm not super into the ascetic this film is going for. And yet, when I watched it for the first time last year, I liked it.

Firstly, the difference between this and Rocky Horror is that I actually LIKE most of the songs in this (Night Surgeon is better than any song in Rocky Horror, bar none). The Repo Man is a truly awesome character, and if I ever get into cosplay, I'll probably do him at least once. The story is actually really good (and actually makes sense, unlike Rocky Horror).

But one of the clinchers is Paris Hilton. Basically:

Pickapok:

Fappy:

She plays a spoiled, wealthy heiress to a major company that has a penchant for cosmetic surgery. She was essentially playing herself. Except her face falls off. And that's hilarious.

This is exactly what I tell everyone when I talk about this movie. There's only one way to get me to admit that Paris Hilton was perfect for a role. And this was it.

Alright, I'm sold. Never heard of this movie before. But I love Anthony Steward Head (watch Man-Child or Buffy). I shall watch this film that you speak of. Love (good) musicals.

RipVanTinkle:
I adore this movie!

Why? Because it has Sarah "la luna" Brightman in it!

Is the movie flawed? Sure. (Not enough Sarah Brightman, gosh darn it)

But does it have a very distinct charm? Certainly :)

I loved this part.

I was fairly enjoying the movie up to this part, and this song pulled me fully into like this movie. "Seventeen" was annoying, but so are a lot of seventeen girls too, so, it worked in a weird way.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here